PDA

View Full Version : How Are Those Effected Doing With Hurricane Matthew?

Kathianne
10-07-2016, 04:27 AM
Jim, have you heard from Jeff? Mick? FJ? Anyone else?

When my folks move to FL my brother and I became hurricane watchers, figuring my parents might not be watching the way they should. Of course being from the Midwest, none of us really understood just how different this phenomena was from tornados and such. Sure in Chicago wind gusts over 60mph aren't really all that unusual, but 'sustained winds over 100 mph?' Oh a different cat indeed.

Well it seemed the parents pretty much had the wherewithal to figure if a Cat 1 was possible, they jumped in the car and headed for hotel in GA for a couple days. Cat 2 or higher? They headed for Chicago for a month or two. LOL! Only once was their home damaged, (they live about 3 miles from Sebastian Inlet.) They had the right insurance and actually came out ahead when repairs were made. Most of their neighbors were not as lucky.

It was weird last night listening to all the reports from Sebastian and one actually mentioned 'Barefoot Bay' where their home was located. I can't imagine how folks could think of 'riding the storm out.'

Prayers that everyone is safe and that damage is none or light.

hjmick
10-07-2016, 05:27 AM
Should hit us tonight and tomorrow, predicted to be about a Cat 2. Winds and somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-12" of rain. We're nowhere near a tidal surge zone and the house sits on a slight rise in the neighborhood with the yard sloping off into the yards next door. The lane reversals end at 10am today. Our biggest concern will be whether or not we lose electricity and if we do for how long. We've got food, water, cigarettes, beer, and guns. That's more than I had when I was sitting on top of the epicenter of the '94 Northridge quake, which wasn't actually in Northridge, btw...

So we're not terribly flustered. Currently...

Kathianne
10-07-2016, 05:41 AM
Should hit us tonight and tomorrow, predicted to be about a Cat 2. Winds and somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-12" of rain. We're nowhere near a tidal surge zone and the house sits on a slight rise in the neighborhood with the yard sloping off into the yards next door. The lane reversals end at 10am today. Our biggest concern will be whether or not we lose electricity and if we do for how long. We've got food, water, cigarettes, beer, and guns. That's more than I had when I was sitting on top of the epicenter of the '94 Northridge quake, which wasn't actually in Northridge, btw...

So we're not terribly flustered. Currently...

It does seem location is everything. I think if we'd understood that just because 'you're not on the water,' storm surge wasn't a problem. Not true if less than 10-15 miles away. At least where they were in FL, they were 'surrounded' by water connections to the ocean/bay.

Like anywhere else, the 'weather' is a draw and a curse. Those who've lived in an area, are well aware of the preparations and decisions to make when things turn ugly. I know in Chicago folks don't head for the basement every time there are warnings of tornadoes, but there's 'something about the sky' that will get one moving, fast!

fj1200
10-07-2016, 05:57 AM
Jeff and fj will be just fine unless he decided to ride into the middle of it which I highly doubt. I'll be camping in the mountains far from any nasty hurricanes.

Abbey Marie
10-07-2016, 10:25 AM
These days, one has to also worry about people looting their evacuated home.

Bilgerat
10-07-2016, 10:49 AM
The Lady and I live in Okeechobee Fl, we prepped for this (shields up) and the Lad with his Bride came in from Ft Pierce to hunker down here.

Somewhere around 23:00, the Lady brought the ancient Shetland Pony into the back porch to provide her shelter.

Wind was bad, rains occurred but we released the pony @ 05:00 (sans the gift of "fertilizer" deposited).

We dodged a bullet, but because the damage was so low the ignorant will now most likely notprepare for the next one.

Which will prove out Darwin's theory of natural selection.

hjmick
10-09-2016, 08:52 AM
Power back up after 27 hours. All is good.