PDA

View Full Version : Merrick Garland

hjmick
10-12-2016, 04:12 PM
I think by now even the most ardent Trump supporter has serious doubts about his ability to win this election. Or any election for that matter... As I generally subscribe to the "DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN" school of thought when it comes to predicting the outcome of elections, that is wait until the votes are counted, I am not prepared to say no way... But...

Anyway, faced with the likely defeat of the "Republican" candidate for President, I suggest to you that the first thing congressional Republicans should do after losing the election is confirm Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court. I know he's not perfect, he wouldn't be my first choice, but it would be one less unknown after Hilliary wins... Just imagine who she might nominate...

Kathianne
10-12-2016, 04:13 PM
I think by now even the most ardent Trump supporter has serious doubts about his ability to win this election. Or any election for that matter... As I generally subscribe to the "DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN" school of thought when it comes to predicting the outcome of elections, that is wait until the votes are counted, I am not prepared to say no way... But...

Anyway, faced with the likely defeat of the "Republican" candidate for President, I suggest to you that the first thing congressional Republicans should do after losing the election is confirm Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court. I know he's not perfect, he wouldn't be my first choice, but it would be one less unknown after Hilliary wins... Just imagine who she might nominate...

Especially if they lose the Senate.

jimnyc
10-12-2016, 04:15 PM

Not sure I can find disagreement with that. But I've read some crap about him too. I'm fairly confident that whether him, or someone Hillary nominates, they will be judging based on agendas more so than on the constitution. :(

hjmick
10-12-2016, 04:16 PM
Not sure I can find disagreement with that. But I've read some crap about him too. I'm fairly confident that whether him, or someone Hillary nominates, they will be judging based on agendas more so than on the constitution. :(

The devil you know, brother, the devil you know...

jimnyc
10-12-2016, 04:17 PM
Especially if they lose the Senate.

While it sucks, I can think of a bunch of senators from the right that I would LOVE to see lose their seats. Hopefully Hillary can be kept at bay, but if the senate is lost, I know just a bunch that I hope are out of a job soon.

jimnyc
10-12-2016, 04:18 PM
The devil you know, brother, the devil you know...

The problem is, once in there, that's worse than the president! Can't get rid of those bastards!

gabosaurus
10-12-2016, 09:23 PM

Can they do that? I am unsure of the procedure rules.
Clinton has previously stated that she would appoint a justice who is more liberal than Garland.

hjmick
10-12-2016, 09:42 PM
Can they do that? I am unsure of the procedure rules.
Clinton has previously stated that she would appoint a justice who is more liberal than Garland.

As far as I know, his nomination has not been withdrawn.