PDA

View Full Version : Majority of Republicans say Trump, not Paul Ryan, represents...

jimnyc
10-20-2016, 09:12 PM
This oughta make the party even more Effed up. :(

-----

Majority of Republicans say Trump, not Paul Ryan, represents what the GOP should stand for politically

A perfect complement to yesterday’s post showing Ryan’s favorable rating now underwater among … Republicans.

See Also: Trump’s national political director taking a ‘step back’ from campaign

It’s Trump’s party now. And by “now,” I mean “for the next 19 days.”

https://i.imgur.com/CEZ4Opl.jpg

I’ll give you three theories for that, none of them mutually exclusive. One: The GOP’s base isn’t nearly as “conservatarian” as movement conservatives would like. Ted Cruz learned that the hard way in the primaries, right? Much of the base is populist first and foremost, and that populism trends strongly towards nationalist/reactionary politics, not classical liberalism. Republican voters, especially Trump’s white working-class fans, care little for conservative economics as practiced by Randians like Ryan. They’re Republican chiefly because that party is their best vehicle for white identity politics and culture war waged against left-wing political correctness.

Two: It’s immigration, stupid. As America’s demographics have continued to change, the right has become more sensitive to that change accelerating by importing millions of workers from Mexico, Asia, and so on. Some significant chunk of the base has effectively decided that immigration is so urgently important that the right position on borders can excuse the wrong position on virtually anything else. (Ahem.) And Paul Ryan most definitely has the wrong position on borders. His House caucus has held the line against Obama’s executive amnesties, knowing that the revolt among the base would have been even worse this year if they’d caved, but Ryan has been soft on amnesty for years, even partnering with open-borders shill Luis Gutierrez on proposals. If Ryan had been a Sessions-style border hawk all along, he wouldn’t be in this much trouble.

Rest here - http://beta.hotair.com/archives/2016/10/20/poll-majority-republicans-say-trump-not-paul-ryan-represents-gop-stand-politically/

Kathianne
10-20-2016, 09:26 PM
I seem to remember someone saying it's Trump's Party now. :laugh:

Elessar
10-20-2016, 09:30 PM

Umm....got to say it is the American People's Party who are tired of the PC and liberal-run antics...
the lies, cover-ups, bribing, swindling, and criminal behaviors of the last 7.75 years.

jimnyc
10-20-2016, 09:35 PM

Yup, that was the first thing I thought when I read that! But they do clarify, that they mean his party for the next 19 days. :) I don't think it's as much as one may call it "his" party, as much as folks want many of the things he stands for, or agree with more of his views than Ryan in this case. But also keep in mind, Ryan has been a shithead for quite some time, so it's no surprise that many don't share his views.

aboutime
10-20-2016, 09:44 PM
Truth be told. TRUMP is now, the only person in America who is capable of making the doubters, and NO-TRUMP crowd in the GOP finally learn....they either grow a pair of GONADS, or their future in politics will be shortened very quickly due to Cowardice of RINO-phobia.

fj1200
10-21-2016, 10:07 AM
I gotta wonder if the majority of Republicans could recite the substantive differences between the two of them.

Gunny
10-21-2016, 10:30 AM
I gotta wonder if the majority of Republicans could recite the substantive differences between the two of them.

I disagree with the premise. Ryan and his ilk most certainly DO represent the "majority of Republicans. Trump represents a disaffected minority and those that realize the consequences of a Clinton presidency. Voting against Hillary being equated to supporting Trump is a stretch.

H ectuallybproves his own accusation the system is rigged. A popularity contest. How else does the lest qualified and most polarizing candidate become the Republican nominee?

Abbey Marie
10-21-2016, 02:07 PM
Are the Dems any more unified in their positions? I doubt it. They just do a much better job of voting for their candidate even if he or she isn't their cup of tea.

Kathianne
10-21-2016, 04:18 PM
Yup, that was the first thing I thought when I read that! But they do clarify, that they mean his party for the next 19 days. :) I don't think it's as much as one may call it "his" party, as much as folks want many of the things he stands for, or agree with more of his views than Ryan in this case. But also keep in mind, Ryan has been a shithead for quite some time, so it's no surprise that many don't share his views.

I'm waiting and seeing what happens after. Been a terrible year.