PDA

View Full Version : Back to glasses again

jimnyc
11-02-2016, 04:29 PM
Yup, been like a year now and am still having trouble adjusting!! But forget the good glasses, let's discuss reading glasses.

I have prescription reading glasses and I love them when all is going well. But for those who use them, you know you end up having a dozen pairs. I honestly don't know my prescription numbers. I do know that I can also get away with crappy glasses from CVS too, for the most part. So I have them all over the place. Most of them are all 1.50. But I bought another pair and they are 1.75 (long story).

When sitting here, if I open my phone, they are PERFECT. If I look down on my desk, perfect. Look at my keyboard, perfect. But my monitor is set at like 2 feet away, and CANNOT be moved forward. So just that little bit of difference makes them impossible to use for that reason. But I like them, as 1.5's are starting to wear down.

aboutime
11-03-2016, 09:01 PM
Yup, been like a year now and am still having trouble adjusting!! But forget the good glasses, let's discuss reading glasses.

I have prescription reading glasses and I love them when all is going well. But for those who use them, you know you end up having a dozen pairs. I honestly don't know my prescription numbers. I do know that I can also get away with crappy glasses from CVS too, for the most part. So I have them all over the place. Most of them are all 1.50. But I bought another pair and they are 1.75 (long story).

When sitting here, if I open my phone, they are PERFECT. If I look down on my desk, perfect. Look at my keyboard, perfect. But my monitor is set at like 2 feet away, and CANNOT be moved forward. So just that little bit of difference makes them impossible to use for that reason. But I like them, as 1.5's are starting to wear down.

jim. I've been wearing glasses since I was 3. The older I get, the more I need to get new glasses, and prescriptions. I have the same trouble with the monitor on my laptop. But I must walk away, or close my eyes for at least 20 minutes....every 20, or 30 minutes. If I go to look at the tv with my wife. My eyes are trying to adjust and unblur every time. My meds have a lot to do with it too. And I found a new secret way to read for longer periods...believe it or not....I JUST SQUINT, ALMOST closing my eyes, and I see perfectly. Go figure, but give it a try. Okay?

Elessar
11-03-2016, 09:21 PM
Reading only...my distant vision is perfect. I can see a deer on the road at 100+ yards.

I have 150's....might need to jump up to 175's if I can find technical lenses.

Bilgerat
11-03-2016, 09:54 PM
I wear trifocals now. On the plus side, my "scrip" hasn't changed in 10 years!

jimnyc
11-04-2016, 01:37 PM
jim. I've been wearing glasses since I was 3. The older I get, the more I need to get new glasses, and prescriptions. I have the same trouble with the monitor on my laptop. But I must walk away, or close my eyes for at least 20 minutes....every 20, or 30 minutes. If I go to look at the tv with my wife. My eyes are trying to adjust and unblur every time. My meds have a lot to do with it too. And I found a new secret way to read for longer periods...believe it or not....I JUST SQUINT, ALMOST closing my eyes, and I see perfectly. Go figure, but give it a try. Okay?

That sounds good, and likely part of my issue. More than any other time, I wear the glasses while reading my computer. I try to take a break every now and again. I even found at times that squinting as you say helps. Also one of my biggest problems is still driving, and not wearing them. They give me a seasick feeling stil if I look left/right, or down where it should be reading glasses. I get frustrated and take them off. But then I drive and KNOW that I should have glasses on. So then I don't drive as much. :)

Reading only...my distant vision is perfect. I can see a deer on the road at 100+ yards.

I have 150's....might need to jump up to 175's if I can find technical lenses.

Similar here. I can see like a mile away. Most length things are fine. My reading is history. The worst part is the 1' to 3' area when I have my good glasses on, that I SHOULD be wearing. If I look down, readers are perfect. Almost perfect for length (issues above). But things are blurryish from 1-3 feet. I know it's just a matter of time to let them adjust, but apparently "I" have issues and am turning it into a nightmare!!

I wear trifocals now. On the plus side, my "scrip" hasn't changed in 10 years!

That's what the wife said I should try, for that intermediate area, but I'm afraid to now spend even more. I've spent a small fortune on my current glasses, like $1,200 total!!

Elessar
11-04-2016, 06:15 PM
Similar here. I can see like a mile away. Most length things are fine. My reading is history. The worst part is the 1' to 3' area when I have my good glasses on, that I SHOULD be wearing. If I look down, readers are perfect. Almost perfect for length (issues above). But things are blurryish from 1-3 feet. I know it's just a matter of time to let them adjust, but apparently "I" have issues and am turning it into a nightmare!!

<snipped for brevity>

Even in the dark, I can pick out a shape or silhouette that 'just does not belong'.
My optometrist calls them "Hunter's Eyes". :laugh: