PDA

View Full Version : Chicago surpasses 600 homicides in 2016

Elessar
11-02-2016, 07:13 PM
This is a long article, so I'll just post a link.

From Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/11/01/chicago-surpasses-600-homicides-in-2016-and-is-on-pace-to-have-its-deadliest-year-in-two-decades/?utm_term=.c3b366084385

Where is "our" Nobel Peace Prize winner on this issue? Where is the former
Chicago 'Community Organizer'? Where is Al Sharpton?

Oh Yeah...it is not white on black or cops on black. My mistake...the two above
don't give a shit.

jimnyc
11-02-2016, 07:15 PM
Where is the BLM group? Where is Kaepernick and his millions? Where are the endless folks complaining about guns and deaths? No agenda there?

Elessar
11-02-2016, 07:23 PM
Where is the BLM group? Where is Kaepernick and his millions? Where are the endless folks complaining about guns and deaths? No agenda there?

It is totally up-fucked. Where is BLM and that punk Kaepernick?

And NOT a one has stepped forth to remedy it...

Even Jesse Jackson has been silent - for quite some time I might add.

Kathianne
11-02-2016, 07:24 PM
It's the gangs and drugs and anti-police all coming together.

Only solutions are going to have to come from the neighborhoods of South and West Sides. The local police precincts could help, but the lead needs to be taken by the communities.

Black Diamond
11-02-2016, 07:27 PM

Black lives only matter when whites kill them, especially white cops.
When blacks kill blacks, they don't matter. So, black lives only matter 10 percent of the time... It seems

aboutime
11-02-2016, 07:29 PM
"Chicago is the town that WON'T LET OBAMA DOWN...Chicago Is"

Haven't heard a peep out of the Great Imposter, and Main Liar who will brag about how wonderful his LEGACY is....Even without attending ONE funeral for his HOODIES.

red states rule
11-03-2016, 04:29 AM

BLM members are too busy race baiting, causing riots, so they can get five finger discounts at the local stores

Then Jesse will call for stimulus funds to rebuild the city. The contracts going to minority owned companies, and he will take a piece for his company

You know how it works Jim. One hand white washes the other

revelarts
11-03-2016, 07:14 AM
I'm glad so many here are concerned about the People in Chicago.
But I have to ask where are all the "ALL Lives Matter" people for Chicago?
Huh? they are always out in the faces the of BLMs correcting them but where's the action huh huh huh?
Are they in Chicago telling the violent people that All Lives Matter? Huh HUH ? Working on solutions there?

Seems 600+ people dead in chicago and not ONE ALL LIVES MATTER event in the areas affected... why?
Not any national white leaders in Chicago trying to help ALL People there. Are they helping them with police violence OR the criminal violence..
well... really... not one ALL LIVES MATTER event anywhere for anyone that's died for any cause that i know of.
Just people complaining about BLM , a Football player, and Black leaders.

revelarts
11-03-2016, 07:26 AM
Again the media does a disservice.
the media's "if it bleeds it leads" mentality, it's love for showing conflict, tragedy and destruction rather than solutions and building attempts is partly why we don't "see" this one or that one doing this or that.

But the I have to say, can't people complain about corrupt police AND be trying to find solutions the murders of and by youth in Chicago.

Aren't BOTH bad.
Seems one is a bit worse sense they are paid by the citizens to do the exact opposite.

I will agree with this Obama, has REALLY failed his hometown. I think if anyone here became president and heard that his hometown was having issue along this line. The worse in the country. that we'd all AT THE LEAST be there to lend several times to lend our faces to work being done to fix it. And speak to it.
I'd like to hope that everyone here wouldn't be FOR the citizens and helping them create better committees making sure the police are being at their best, using BEST practices not just blindly assuming they are doing a good job ..because they are the police.

But it is what it is.
As I've said before, i'm no fan of Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton
that I'm not really Aware of what all the BLM groups are doing, or football players.

But If you really want to know what they and others (black and white) have been doing just do a search for Chicago and whoever you think should be doing something different. I've posted various items before of local and national groups events workshops etc etcetc of people trying to address the issue but I have not time to do the search and people say my post are to long so please look for yourselves and see who is and who isn't involved in working for solutions there.

here's tip you probably won't find it on FOXnews, Brietbrat or WND

revelarts
11-03-2016, 08:35 AM
But if you really want to know what they and others (black and white) have been doing just do a search for Chicago and ....
link (https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20151201/downtown/chicagoans-actually-do-protest-violence-their-communities-all-time) link (http://www.progressillinois.com/posts/content/2016/08/30/activists-recommend-solutions-curb-chicagos-spiking-violence) link (http://wgntv.com/2016/05/21/thousands-take-to-chicago-streets-for-rally-against-violence/) link (http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/chicago-s-street-disciple-stepping-in-to-stop-the-violence-747350595553) link (http://abc7chicago.com/archive/9009544/)

fj1200
11-03-2016, 11:35 AM
But if you really want to know what they and others (black and white) have been doing just do a search for Chicago and ....
link (https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20151201/downtown/chicagoans-actually-do-protest-violence-their-communities-all-time) link (http://www.progressillinois.com/posts/content/2016/08/30/activists-recommend-solutions-curb-chicagos-spiking-violence) link (http://wgntv.com/2016/05/21/thousands-take-to-chicago-streets-for-rally-against-violence/) link (http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/chicago-s-street-disciple-stepping-in-to-stop-the-violence-747350595553) link (http://abc7chicago.com/archive/9009544/)

Nobody cares about the underlying problem.

revelarts
11-03-2016, 12:15 PM
Nobody cares about the underlying problem.

Some do, but they don't get the media attention... or the funding and support they need.

fj1200
11-03-2016, 01:36 PM
Some do, but they don't get the media attention... or the funding and support they need.

True, but nobody is talking about welfare reform, strengthening the family, economic revitalization... As you point out, it's easier to blame than change.

Elessar
11-03-2016, 02:55 PM
True, but nobody is talking about welfare reform, strengthening the family, economic revitalization... As you point out, it's easier to blame than change.

In a case like this, change has to come from the lowest level. You just
cannot spoon-feed change to the unwilling, lazy, and morally blind.

Then the communities and locals have to unite for that change.
Until then - chaos!

Kathianne
11-03-2016, 04:48 PM

I don't put much stock on 'funding' if looking to the government, especially the fed. Not even really keen on state funds for projects that need to be community based. Partnerships between business, community, schools, community policing, churches, yes.

revelarts
11-03-2016, 07:52 PM
I don't put much stock on 'funding' if looking to the government, especially the fed. Not even really keen on state funds for projects that need to be community based. Partnerships between business, community, schools, community policing, churches, yes.

Part of the problem is people automatically go to the old paradigms and old left right fights rather than thinking of what real solutions might look like.
some people hear the word "funding" and think "welfare" or hand outs.
that's not what i had in mind. I'm thinking more along the line of the schools having at least the same funding as the schools in the middle-class and rich areas. And yes maybe extra after school funds to get all students up to speed. I'm thinking of funding for job training in professions, funding for maybe even day care. Funding for the volunteer groups and community projects that are in place now... that are working... and need help. Funding for some of the PRIVATE schools in the area that are doing a better job but can only take so many because of funds. Funding to keep the street lights on, the street clean, the parks clean. Funding to make sure the city inspectors can keep up with landlords making the housings up to safe standards. Maybe funding for some field trips to get people out of a poverty mind set.
People that are living in poverty without knowledge of or connections to resources that can get them out have a difficult time even imagining ways out. And some don't even have an example of how to live a moral middle-class hardworking life much less how to start a business. Often the problems are deep and sometimes generational, it takes more than a bit of good advise. How many of us find it easy to change our bad habits, even when we know how?

Seems obvious to me that if the community is suffering from the equivalent of Eye diseases, pneumonia and 2 broken legs that you just can't say 'well why don't you just eat healthy and exercise like I do and you'll be fine!'
While eating healthy and exercise IS great the problem's are bit deeper and not the kind that self-help can deal with effectively. Even if you can afford to "eat right". Sure there comes a point where the help is not needed but sometimes it takes a bit to get there.

Some kids can't afford a bus ticket to go to a job interview, and don't have the skills to make it through an interview. Or the skills or habit of work. Wondering why they don't "just get a job" doesn't really take into account how far some people need to come from.

But if the Knee jerk reaction many to the even the word "funding" is to start giving reason WHY NOT to help. Then I'm not sure why people would expect to see poor areas just transforming own their own into working class crime free areas. Because of the "good advise" unheard from afar. Sure funding is not the ONLY thing (it's not the only thing I mentioned, but the only thing 3 people here landed on) or even the most important thing but i suspect most of us had the basics of life as a foundation.

Having said all that of course there are some that won't be helped no matter what but it's like that everywhere isn't it? I suspect there are people like that in each of our families. And they don't have the excuses of single parents, poverty, unsafe drug and gun filled neighborhoods, bad schools, and gangs.

aboutime
11-03-2016, 08:03 PM
The answers to all those problems you mentioned rev...IS NOT, and never will be...MORE FUNDING.
That's what is wrong with nearly ALL of the Democrat run cities, controlled by Democrats who...HISTORICALLY, have always demanded; The answer to all of the problems in the Inner Cities is...MORE MONEY, MORE FUNDING.

If that theory actually worked as planned. Explain WHY the poorest Democrat run cities HAVE THE HIGHEST School Budgets, and the PER STUDENT funding is the highest in that state?
Of course. Democrats will never admit...School Administrators, teachers with tenure, and all members of Teachers Unions is where MOST OF THE FUNDING is redirected, rather than for the individual students. That's not what Democrats want to HEAR. Because the TRUTH get's people like me...unafraid to state the TRUTH, called Racist!!

Kathianne
11-04-2016, 12:51 AM
Part of the problem is people automatically go to the old paradigms and old left right fights rather than thinking of what real solutions might look like.
some people hear the word "funding" and think "welfare" or hand outs.
that's not what i had in mind. I'm thinking more along the line of the schools having at least the same funding as the schools in the middle-class and rich areas. And yes maybe extra after school funds to get all students up to speed. I'm thinking of funding for job training in professions, funding for maybe even day care. Funding for the volunteer groups and community projects that are in place now... that are working... and need help. Funding for some of the PRIVATE schools in the area that are doing a better job but can only take so many because of funds. Funding to keep the street lights on, the street clean, the parks clean. Funding to make sure the city inspectors can keep up with landlords making the housings up to safe standards. Maybe funding for some field trips to get people out of a poverty mind set.
People that are living in poverty without knowledge of or connections to resources that can get them out have a difficult time even imagining ways out. And some don't even have an example of how to live a moral middle-class hardworking life much less how to start a business. Often the problems are deep and sometimes generational, it takes more than a bit of good advise. How many of us find it easy to change our bad habits, even when we know how?

Seems obvious to me that if the community is suffering from the equivalent of Eye diseases, pneumonia and 2 broken legs that you just can't say 'well why don't you just eat healthy and exercise like I do and you'll be fine!'
While eating healthy and exercise IS great the problem's are bit deeper and not the kind that self-help can deal with effectively. Even if you can afford to "eat right". Sure there comes a point where the help is not needed but sometimes it takes a bit to get there.

Some kids can't afford a bus ticket to go to a job interview, and don't have the skills to make it through an interview. Or the skills or habit of work. Wondering why they don't "just get a job" doesn't really take into account how far some people need to come from.

But if the Knee jerk reaction many to the even the word "funding" is to start giving reason WHY NOT to help. Then I'm not sure why people would expect to see poor areas just transforming own their own into working class crime free areas. Because of the "good advise" unheard from afar. Sure funding is not the ONLY thing (it's not the only thing I mentioned, but the only thing 3 people here landed on) or even the most important thing but i suspect most of us had the basics of life as a foundation.

Having said all that of course there are some that won't be helped no matter what but it's like that everywhere isn't it? I suspect there are people like that in each of our families. And they don't have the excuses of single parents, poverty, unsafe drug and gun filled neighborhoods, bad schools, and gangs.

I am all for school vouchers, so are most of the parents in urban neighborhoods. One party stands against them, in favor of the teachers' unions.

As for funding, come up with a system to replace property taxes, that is where the problem lies. Then again, most urban districts are not that far off most of the wealthier suburbs in their environs. I don't think money alone is going to solve this problem.

I said originally that most of the problems on the South and West Sides in Chicago has to do with 2 main things: gangs and drugs. Without a doubt, the gangs provide something that drug addled parents don't, a sense of protection and belonging. Kids are willing to pimp themselves and kill for the gangs. Real families don't do that, but kids want some place to belong. 11 and 12 year olds don't really think they'll die. They don't think they are going down the same path that their mothers/fathers took. They see the bling the life gives the leaders and the fear others feel towards those gangs. That those that actually fear them are the folks that aren't part of the problem doesn't seem to register.

The most successful programs I've seen in Chicago have been either partnerships between businesses and schools OR those started by former gang members that chose to try and fix some of the damage they did when younger. That is a very dangerous thing to do. Bottom line, in Chicago there is so much corruption that often the city works against these programs. Some has to do with their 'own programs' that haven't worked; some has to do with real alliances with the gangs.

Chicago has schools at the extremes of results, some are the best of the state, others the worst. Few fall within the average. Why? Magnet and schools for the talented and gifted. All are either by tryouts or by application/lottery. All take parents motivated to get their children through the process, then get lucky. Many kids have to take long bus/el, often with multiple transfers. School bus service is within local public school attendance areas only. So the parents have to absorb the costs or have the wherewithal to find sponsors that help offset those costs. The school day becomes quite long with the travel distances.

It would be nice to say that all neighborhoods should have at least average schools. Truth is, all neighborhoods do have what is physically necessary for teaching and learning. The problem again is the gangs, parents/guardians that are incapacitated or disinterested for one reason or another-addictions being the main culprit. This is one of my reasons for not just jumping on more funding for the schools, it's sort of the same problem we see with the police-they are NOT trained social workers.

Somehow the communities have to find a way to eclipse the gangs to provide substitute family structures. When not strung out, most parents want much better for their children, the parents have problems that preclude parenting. Too often when a kid is killed, with 'gang affiliations' (which is actually most of the deaths), the parents are devastated. They know, they are helpless in many ways.

Believe it or not, there are some neglected kids in the wealthier suburbs. There are messed up kids at the Latin School and Lab School too. The difference is they are not overwhelmed by the numbers. Their social workers/psychologists can spend time with the most troubled kids. There is usually at least one officer attached to the school that can bridge out of school time with the social worker, so the kid isn't going home to an empty house or a situation they are not thriving in. If warranted there can be DCFS called in. Again, it's the numbers. In the suburbs addictions usually aren't the sole cause or even a factor at all of the problems. Last but not least, in most neighborhoods of all socioeconomic levels, other parents often pick up the slack and the children find better role models than they have at home. That isn't as available in the war zones of the worst areas of Chicago and other urban areas.

fj1200
11-04-2016, 09:52 AM
In a case like this, change has to come from the lowest level. You just
cannot spoon-feed change to the unwilling, lazy, and morally blind.

Then the communities and locals have to unite for that change.
Until then - chaos!

Change has to come at all levels. The problems weren't caused solely at the lowest level likewise the solution isn't going to come solely at the lowest level.

Abbey Marie
11-04-2016, 10:08 AM
Hey Rev,
Would you agree that crime would decrease if people in the community actually gave info they knew about them to the police?

revelarts
11-04-2016, 10:55 AM
Hey Rev,
Would you agree that crime would decrease if people in the community actually gave info they knew about them to the police?

Maybe, it depends.
It kind of goes back the the "capital punishment" question.
If one person tells the police and is found out and is killed or gets the crap beat out of them by gang or the perp who's been released because of lack of evidence.
will that help create an environment where MORE people will talk to the police or less crime?
Add to that if the police are hostile to the witness because they aren't "social workers" and they aren't careful to keep some tips anonymous. Or demand that they testify with no help in their safety or their family's safety.

Community policing so that the police are seen as part of the solution instead of hostile invaders that everyone must fear would be a big help along those lines as well.

But sure if the pragmatic issues on the ground made it so "snitching" was clearly a productive action i'm sure it would help. But it's my understanding that the "no snitching" culture isn't as strong as it used to be, not at all. Seems it become a more everyman for himself attitude among gangs. And I suspect it's spread to neighbors as well. But sure it's another PART of the problem.

OCA
11-04-2016, 01:24 PM
Maybe, it depends.
If one person tells the police and is found out and is killed or gets the crap beat out of them by gang or the perp who's been released because of lack of evidence.
will that help create an environment where MORE people will talk to the police or less crime?
Add to that if the police are hostile to the witness because they aren't "social workers" and they aren't careful to keep some tips anonymous. Or demand that they testify with no help in their safety or their family's safety.

Community policing so that the police are seen as part of the solution instead of hostile invaders that everyone must fear would be a big help along those lines as well.

But sure if the pragmatic issues on the ground made it so "snitching" was clearly a productive action i'm sure it would help. But it's my understanding that the "no snitching" culture isn't as strong as it used to be, not at all. Seems it become a more everyman for himself attitude among gangs. And I suspect it's spread to neighbors as well. But sure it's another PART of the problem.

Snitches get stitches.....if you think that still isn't street law.....lol

OCA
11-04-2016, 01:39 PM
Maybe, it depends.

Snitches get stitches.....if you think that still isn't street law.....lol

Elessar
11-04-2016, 06:26 PM
Maybe, it depends.

<snipped for brevity>

It's a quandary for certain.

I read about that so many times in Los Angeles when I worked there.

Gangs would not snitch on other gangs, choosing to retaliate instead, thus endangering
innocent people in the cross-fires.

jimnyc
11-04-2016, 06:33 PM
I'm glad so many here are concerned about the People in Chicago.
But I have to ask where are all the "ALL Lives Matter" people for Chicago?
Huh? they are always out in the faces the of BLMs correcting them but where's the action huh huh huh?
Are they in Chicago telling the violent people that All Lives Matter? Huh HUH ? Working on solutions there?

Seems 600+ people dead in chicago and not ONE ALL LIVES MATTER event in the areas affected... why?
Not any national white leaders in Chicago trying to help ALL People there. Are they helping them with police violence OR the criminal violence..
well... really... not one ALL LIVES MATTER event anywhere for anyone that's died for any cause that i know of.
Just people complaining about BLM , a Football player, and Black leaders.

For me, it's never been about 'all lives matter', and certainly not 'black lives matter'. Both are retarded concepts. People matter. Trying to place labels on it only diminishes others, IMO.

I've spoken out about the problem festering and growing in Chicago for a few years now. I don't want to lay blame. The blame I gave, and still give, is lack of attention, while so much attention is placed in other areas, a lot of wrong areas, while more people were dying in Chicago than other places combined. And now this isn't an issue for black people alone to fix, or to lay blame at anyone's feet. I think this issue needs national attention and intervention, if it's to be fixed. Gangs and others have taken over some areas and make it some of the most dangers places in the USA to roam.

And yes, my problem with the leaders, and many in the BLM movement - is they should be using that power to help in Chicago. You have the worlds attention, use it wisely.