PDA

View Full Version : NFL: Favorite Linebackers?

Elessar
11-03-2016, 08:01 PM
I'll start with the Middle Linebacker (in no particular order):

1. Jack Lambert;
2. Sam Huff;
3. Ray Nitschke;
4. Dick Butkus;
5. Tommy Nobis.

Gunny
11-04-2016, 01:07 PM

1. Jack Lambert;
2. Sam Huff;
3. Ray Nitschke;
4. Dick Butkus;
5. Tommy Nobis.

Damn. You're old!:laugh:

I think I still have all their cards except Nitschke and Huff. They're before my time. :)

jimnyc
11-04-2016, 01:20 PM

1. Jack Lambert;
2. Sam Huff;
3. Ray Nitschke;
4. Dick Butkus;
5. Tommy Nobis.

I'd have to start looking things up, I'm honestly not good at going between inside and outside. But I DO know that you started with perhaps the best ever with Lambert!!

OCA
11-04-2016, 01:50 PM
I'd have to start looking things up, I'm honestly not good at going between inside and outside. But I DO know that you started with perhaps the best ever with Lambert!!

You are high, and as i say this you know how much i despise the Ravens and their fans but Ray Lewis is the g.o.a.t. lb.......end of story.

jimnyc
11-04-2016, 01:54 PM
You are high, and as i say this you know how much i despise the Ravens and their fans but Ray Lewis is the g.o.a.t. lb.......end of story.

MAYBE I would have debated with you if you said LT, or Butkus.... Lewis was awesome, but apparently you never watched the careers of the others. Even LT would devour the floor with Lewis.

Gunny
11-04-2016, 01:57 PM

Lambert, hands down. Lewis wouldn't have survived the 70s.

OCA
11-04-2016, 02:10 PM
MAYBE I would have debated with you if you said LT, or Butkus.... Lewis was awesome, but apparently you never watched the careers of the others. Even LT would devour the floor with Lewis.

Ok we both know Lewis is a double brother whacker butcas far as i know he didn't play on the rock like LT, that eliminates him right there.

Screw it........Teddy Bruschi best ever! Hahahah

OCA
11-04-2016, 02:12 PM

Lambert wasn't even as good as Jack Ham.

jimnyc
11-04-2016, 02:14 PM
Ok we both know Lewis is a double brother whacker butcas far as i know he didn't play on the rock like LT, that eliminates him right there.

Screw it........Teddy Bruschi best ever! Hahahah

He was good as well, but not even in the conversation!! And Lewis IS definitely in the conversation. I would have to spend a lot of time looking, but off the top of my head I would say definitely top 10. But man, go back and look at some career stats buddy - there are a LOT LOT of great linebackers over the years, a LOT. But no way Lewis goes above Lambert, LT, Butkus. Maybe Singletary in there too?

jimnyc
11-04-2016, 02:15 PM

Are you effing insane? Now I know you're just trying to rile me up. Ham was GREAT, but Lambert was meaner, scarier & one tough SOB.

Gunny
11-04-2016, 02:15 PM

Sure he was. That's why Lambert played MLB and Ham played OLB.

OCA
11-04-2016, 02:34 PM

OCA
11-04-2016, 02:36 PM
He was good as well, but not even in the conversation!! And Lewis IS definitely in the conversation. I would have to spend a lot of time looking, but off the top of my head I would say definitely top 10. But man, go back and look at some career stats buddy - there are a LOT LOT of great linebackers over the years, a LOT. But no way Lewis goes above Lambert, LT, Butkus. Maybe Singletary in there too?

First off something wrong with my phone hence the double Ham comments.

FUCK SINGLETARY......PANTS DROPPER

OCA
11-04-2016, 02:39 PM
Are you effing insane? Now I know you're just trying to rile me up. Ham was GREAT, but Lambert was meaner, scarier & one tough SOB.

Shit....not even as good as James Harrison:slap:

hjmick
11-04-2016, 02:46 PM
Willie Lanier

Dick Butkus

Ray Nitschke

OCA
11-04-2016, 02:48 PM
Willie Lanier

Dick Butkus

Ray Nitschke

Before my time, i'm sure they were great.

Abbey Marie
11-04-2016, 03:19 PM
LT all day...

Black Diamond
11-04-2016, 03:24 PM
LT all day...

Didn't see that coming...

Or did I?:laugh:

Gunny
11-04-2016, 03:29 PM
LT all day...

Not even close. He's not even in the top 5.

Abbey Marie
11-04-2016, 03:46 PM

Oh puh-leez. :batteyes:

OCA
11-04-2016, 03:48 PM

:wtf:

OCA
11-04-2016, 03:57 PM
Oh puh-leez. :batteyes:

No matter where you go, who you ask LT is considered top 3 all time

Russ
11-04-2016, 05:01 PM

Gunny, I am no Giants fan, as Abbey can attest, but I have to admit that Lawrence Taylor is unquestionably one of the 5 best LB's all time, and is arguable as #1. I remember that Giants defense, and it was almost like the were on offense when they were on defense. And the biggest reason for that was LT.

I also remember Randall Cunningham constantly evading the grasp of Taylor and then completing a long pass. I could see the frustration of LT's face even through his helmet. :laugh:

Black Diamond
11-04-2016, 05:05 PM
Mike singletary, Otis Wilson, wilber Marshall.

Seriously, though.. where would ray Lewis rank?

Russ
11-04-2016, 05:06 PM

1. Jack Lambert;
2. Sam Huff;
3. Ray Nitschke;
4. Dick Butkus;
5. Tommy Nobis.

Nice list, but kind of slanted toward the early 1900's. I've actually never heard of Nobis, and I only remember Nitschke from those Lite Beer commercials. :beer:

Here's my list, in order:

1. Dick Butkus
2. Lawrence Taylor
3. Ray Lewis
4. Derrick Thomas
5. Mike Singletary

Honorable mentions:
Jack Ham
Jack Lambert
Brian Urlacher

jimnyc
11-04-2016, 05:09 PM
I'm a Steelers fbut I'm no "homer"! I hate the NY Giants, always have. I can go on about the illegal things that have happened in Taylor's life - but that's not football. No more than knocking OJ for his running skills.

LT has GOT to be top 5. Arguments can be made about different eras and all, but LT was just naturally a mean SOB as well. It's hard to rank positions with so damn many over the years. But LT is up there. Maybe even #2.

But when you're about to snap the ball, and you saw Lambert across from you, looking at you like you were Sunday's dinner... :laugh:

hjmick
11-04-2016, 05:34 PM
Before my time, i'm sure they were great.

I think this fucker just called me old! :laugh:

My choices come more from reading about those days than watching.

Russ
11-04-2016, 05:35 PM
I'm a Steelers fbut I'm no "homer"! I hate the NY Giants, always have. I can go on about the illegal things that have happened in Taylor's life - but that's not football. No more than knocking OJ for his running skills.

LT has GOT to be top 5. Arguments can be made about different eras and all, but LT was just naturally a mean SOB as well. It's hard to rank positions with so damn many over the years. But LT is up there. Maybe even #2.

But when you're about to snap the ball, and you saw Lambert across from you, looking at you like you were Sunday's dinner... :laugh:

No question, Jack Lambert and Jack Ham were both top 10, and the Steelers got to have both in the same linebacking crew, for years. That defense had all stars in almost every position. Lucky Pittsburgh.

Elessar
11-04-2016, 06:07 PM
O.K. This is interesting.

Let's try outside linebackers:

Jack Ham;
Ted Hendricks;
Lawrence Taylor;
Chris Hanburger:
Robert Brazille;
Monty Coleman;
Wilbur Marshall.

Elessar
11-04-2016, 06:11 PM
Damn. You're old!:laugh:

I think I still have all their cards except Nitschke and Huff. They're before my time. :)

I met Sam Huff at a football banquet in college.
He is huge in stature, but a complete gentleman - out of uniform, that is!:laugh:

Elessar
11-04-2016, 06:19 PM
Nice list, but kind of slanted toward the early 1900's. I've actually never heard of Nobis, and I only remember Nitschke from those Lite Beer commercials. :beer:

Nobis was with the Falcons....smallish compared to the others,
But DAMN he could stick and plug a hole!

Elessar
11-04-2016, 09:10 PM
Going back to Middles...

Mike Curtis;
Harry Carson.

darin
11-07-2016, 07:42 AM
LT was so good, he not only revolutionized the position, he changed OTHER positions as well - before him? The LT was just tackle who happened to be on the left side.

Bobby Wagner - best MLB in the game

KJ Wright - best cover OLB in the game.

Nobody else matters.

OCA
11-07-2016, 07:50 AM
lt was so good, he not only revolutionized the position, he changed other positions as well - before him? The lt was just tackle who happened to be on the left side.

Bobby wagner - best mlb in the game

kj wright - best cover olb in the game.

Nobody else matters.

rotflmfao!

5>1

Gunny
11-07-2016, 09:18 AM
Gunny, I am no Giants fan, as Abbey can attest, but I have to admit that Lawrence Taylor is unquestionably one of the 5 best LB's all time, and is arguable as #1. I remember that Giants defense, and it was almost like the were on offense when they were on defense. And the biggest reason for that was LT.

I also remember Randall Cunningham constantly evading the grasp of Taylor and then completing a long pass. I could see the frustration of LT's face even through his helmet. :laugh:

I disagree. Whle a notable LB during his time, I'd struggle to put him in the to 10. Hard to compare players from different eras. He's have to get past a LOT of players from the 60s and 70s to even get on my list. He lad a team around him which makes a BIG difference.