PDA

View Full Version : Nothing Prevents Hillary Clinton from Pardoning Herself

jimnyc
11-04-2016, 01:53 PM
There is lots of talk about an indictment AFTER the election. Would that really surprise anyone? And more so towards the Clinton Foundation. But also wouldn't surprise me if it ended up being about the 650k emails. Either way, it wouldn't be a Trump/Clinton affair at that point. But what WOULD happen? Some say Obama might pardon her. Why bother, no need to!

IF this were to happen... I would be done. I've almost lost all faith already, but if someone were allowed to break so many laws, in front of the world, and then literally just laugh it off and pardon themselves magically? I would say the same if it were Obama, Hillary, Trump, GWB.... I'm truly getting tired of DC and what they can and cannot do. More specifically what they CAN do at their leisure.

-----

Nothing Prevents Hillary Clinton from Pardoning Herself

Professor of Public Interest Law at George Washington University Law School John Banzhaf talked with Breitbart News Daily SiriusXM host Alex Marlow on Friday about complications that would emerge if Hillary Clinton pardoned herself after inauguration if she were elected president.

While pointing out that normal notions of a conflict of interest do not apply to presidential pardons, Banzhaf said, “Some could argue that she can’t pardon herself. We don’t know the answer and perhaps more disturbingly, it may be impossible for that case ever to get into court.”

Added Banzhaf, “Nobody may have what we call legal standing. There are other doctrines that courts could invoke. You don’t have kind of a neutral or third party or third branch referee to decide. She says, ‘I pardon myself, and that’s it, and it’s over.’ Presumably, the other party would say, ‘No, it’s not,’ and then what happens from there?”

Banzhaf also pointed out that even if she does not pardon herself, there is “strong precedent that a sitting president cannot be indicted and charged.”

http://www.breitbart.com/radio/2016/11/04/prof-banzhaf-nothing-prevents-hillary-pardoning-inauguration/

fj1200
11-04-2016, 04:19 PM
Even Nixon didn't do that. But if she did and Congress had ANY respect for itself as an institution they should immediately impeach and convict her.

jimnyc
11-04-2016, 04:22 PM
Even Nixon didn't do that. But if she did and Congress had ANY respect for itself as an institution they should immediately impeach and convict her.

I hope you're right, but nothing would surprise me with this years contest. If they win the majorities across, then what would it take? And call me crazy, but I would still wonder just how many would back her conviction, facts aside of course.

jimnyc
11-04-2016, 04:25 PM
Was going to make a new thread, but this works in this one... The last line. SO true and SO sad. Even if Trump got knocked off the ladder, and ANYONE else was there. I'm not changing my mind, I'm just saying.... No matter who might be there if she wins, doesn't matter. Her being in there may go down as "the first woman president ever" - or "The glass ceiling falling" - but does that stuff REALLY matter?

-----

The Clinton scandals will never stop

Every president enters office with some baggage – from statements and positions that strained relationships with various voter groups to partisan views that alienated members of the other party to gaffes on the campaign trail that scuffed up a candidate’s reputation. But no one has ever been elected president who has been so hobbled by such festering wounds as Hillary Clinton would be if she is elected on Nov. 8.

If Clinton takes office, the scandals won’t come to a screeching halt. Nothing about the latest chapter of Clinton scandal lends itself to a tidy conclusion. There will always be a seepage of fresh emails; new revelations about some impropriety regarding the Clinton Foundation, Clinton donors, Clinton staff and the like; and reports of Bill Clinton saying or doing something compromising or otherwise inappropriate. There will never be a last email, a last allegation of pay to play or a last word written by a former Clinton insider. Nothing will stop the ooze of Clinton corruption, not even Hillary Clinton placing her hand on a Bible and swearing to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America.

If Clinton is elected, the White House will need to create a standing unit that is tasked with nothing but scandal control. The White House Office of Legislative Affairs will need extra personnel just to deal with the onslaught of subpoenas and testimony that Congress will try to compel to get to the bottom of a plethora of still-relevant and ever-evolving Clinton scandals. The FBI investigations will continue. Will Clinton be able to keep a straight face when she announces that Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch is staying on? How will Clinton be able to find an FBI director – considering James B. Comey is out – who will stick to the plan?

What happens when, in a change election, the change candidate doesn’t win? Where will the volcanic pressure that has been building throughout this election go? When will there be an eruption? How will the country as a whole react to a president who is so vastly unpopular, tainted by scandal and completely lacking any way to establish a clean slate or a fresh start?

If elected, Clinton would enter office as the weakest president ever, at a time when we need exactly the opposite, both at home and abroad.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2016/11/03/the-clinton-scandals-will-never-stop/

fj1200
11-04-2016, 04:28 PM
I hope you're right, but nothing would surprise me with this years contest. If they win the majorities across, then what would it take? And call me crazy, but I would still wonder just how many would back her conviction, facts aside of course.

It all comes down to Congress. Even with a Republican majority in the House the Senate still needs to get to 2/3. With such egregious crimes, if it can be proven, even the Democrats should vote to convict.

fj1200
11-04-2016, 04:30 PM
Was going to make a new thread, but this works in this one... The last line. SO true and SO sad. Even if Trump got knocked off the ladder, and ANYONE else was there. I'm not changing my mind, I'm just saying.... No matter who might be there if she wins, doesn't matter. Her being in there may go down as "the first woman president ever" - or "The glass ceiling falling" - but does that stuff REALLY matter?

-----

The Clinton scandals will never stop

If I squint hard enough I can even see some positives to her winning for the Republican party.

jimnyc
11-04-2016, 04:34 PM
If I squint hard enough I can even see some positives to her winning for the Republican party.

1 guaranteed lefty SC justice. 2 of them is VERY possible. 3 is not outside the possibility due to the ages. That's not even touching another subject. But I hear what you are saying nonetheless.

Black Diamond
11-04-2016, 04:35 PM

They don't. Today's dems are far more crooked and partisan than Goldwater and his buddies.

Kathianne
11-04-2016, 04:38 PM
With the Clinton's: 'vote for one, get two.' Why would it be different today?

Here's a timeline from PBS:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/clinton/cron/

Seriously, there's too many to copy and paste. Let's just say that like the current campaign, the scandals began within months of his announcing seeking the nomination and continued throughout his presidency. Like then, it's not just the candidate and staff, but also the spouse.

jimnyc
11-04-2016, 04:43 PM
With the Clinton's: 'vote for one, get two.' Why would it be different today?

Here's a timeline from PBS:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/clinton/cron/

Seriously, there's too many to copy and paste. Let's just say that like the current campaign, the scandals began within months of his announcing seeking the nomination and continued throughout his presidency. Like then, it's not just the candidate and staff, but also the spouse.

You just ruined my day. It's going to be bad enough to see her daily, in some way or another. But I guess I kinda forgot or tried to block this angle out. :(

fj1200
11-04-2016, 04:45 PM
1 guaranteed lefty SC justice. 2 of them is VERY possible. 3 is not outside the possibility due to the ages. That's not even touching another subject. But I hear what you are saying nonetheless.

I said you gotta squint hard. :poke:

They don't. Today's dems are far more crooked and partisan than Goldwater and his buddies.

I think it's wrong to demonize the whole on the part of the few (still to many) and everyone is partisan. I won't be surprised to see them act in the face of egregious wrongdoing. And it wouldn't take all of them.

gabosaurus
11-04-2016, 04:46 PM
Why would Hillary Clinton need a "pardon" when she hasn't been convicted of anything? :dunno:

fj1200
11-04-2016, 04:47 PM
Why would Hillary Clinton need a "pardon" when she hasn't been convicted of anything? :dunno:

Neither was Nixon and he was pardoned.

Elessar
11-04-2016, 07:00 PM

-----

I would not have a problem with a woman President, just this one.

Most all of the women I worked with in Command Centers were dedicated,
honest, and professional....well organized and focused.

This woman, Hillary, has shown NONE of those qualities except being focused
on lying, deceiving, and exaggerating.

aboutime
11-04-2016, 07:06 PM
I found this while trying to learn WHAT IF, as to what can happen IF Hillary wins, and is Indicted after being sworn-in.

So, it appears. The only action Congress can take, according to the Constitution is:
IMPEACHMENT!
down vote
An indictment is just a formal accusation that a person committed a crime. It does not mean that it was already proved that the person is guilty. In a society which respects rule of law (like the United States) a person is considered innocent until convicted by a court of law. So the indictment alone would not have any consequences whatsoever for the status of the president, except for being forced to follow instructions by law enforcement. In theory it might even come to the weird situation that the president is forced to lead the country from their jail cell while waiting for the court case to finish.

Curiously even a conviction of a major crime does not yet mean that the president needs to step down. However, being convicted of "treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors" is reason to start the formal impeachment procedure which eventually results in removing the president from office if congress and senate agree to do so.