PDA

View Full Version : The United States Finds Few Non-Iraqis Among Insurgents

red states rule
07-29-2007, 08:33 AM
Well, things are going badly for the Defeatocrats

The United States Finds Few Non-Iraqis Among Insurgents
By Anna Mulrine
Posted 7/24/07
As President Bush continues to stress al Qaeda as the chief threat to Iraq's stability—a reprised effort to establish a link between al Qaeda in Iraq and the 9/11 attackers—U.S. military forces on the ground in Iraq are fighting a complex war in regions with vast networks of overlapping loyalties—and few foreign fighters. Most members of al Qaeda in Iraq, say commanders on the ground, are local Iraqi outcasts.

"I can count them [foreign fighters] as a total I have engaged, dead or alive, in the 10 months I've been here on one hand," says Col. David Sutherland, the U.S. commander of coalition forces in the hotly contested area of Diyala province, an insurgent stronghold region some 35 miles northeast of Baghdad. There, Sutherland says, those involved in al Qaeda are largely dispossessed locals, not jihadists who have come from elsewhere. "The recruiting program is [that] al Qaeda may send five or eight individuals into a village. They recruit from those who have no power base, no place in society," including, he adds, former male prostitutes and the mentally ill.

Sutherland has launched roughly 200 operations—both large and small—and says there has been some progress. This, he says, is due in large part to the local reaction to the brutal methods of al Qaeda-linked forces. Sutherland says he has seen growing resentment of al Qaeda among Diyala's residents. "People here are so disgusted and disillusioned by al Qaeda—no one here wants an Islamic state in Iraq," he says

Earlier this month, for example, in a small village outside the provincial capital of Baquba, between 20 and 30 gunmen went house to house in pickup trucks, shooting young men. They killed 29, wounded four, burned down several houses and cars, and left. They did not shoot women or children, and the hands of victims were not tied behind their backs, a common practice in militia death squad killings. "We checked with the people and they said [the gunmen] were al Qaeda members that had moved into the area recently," he says.

But the incident highlights the complexity of the situation in Iraq today—and the myriad interconnections among the country's citizens and tribes that, while rendering political solutions increasingly pivotal, at the same time can make them tougher to come by.

The presumed al Qaeda-linked forces were wearing Iraqi Army uniforms. Shiite militia members, both in the Iraqi military and outside, have in the past used such uniforms in carrying out sectarian violence in the area that is a mix of Sunni and Shiite tribes—and is getting more complex by the day. Increasingly, says Sutherland, the province is experiencing a growth in the "Kurdish element" making their bid to "expand their voting rights, and their base" in the region. Rich in resources, at the crossroads of two rivers with sizable oil reserves, the region has a new "problem set," Sutherland adds. "How are they going to get along?"

Known as "little Baghdad," Diyala is one of the most diverse areas in the country, with a far different makeup than, for example, western Al Anbar province, a majority-Sunni region where U.S. military officials have lately touted an "Anbar awakening" (the teaming-up of Sunni tribal sheiks in the western part of Iraq with U.S. military forces against al Qaeda-linked extremists
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/070724/24surge.htm

Spyder Jerusalem
07-29-2007, 09:26 AM
The only reason there are so many foreigners in Iraq fighting the US forces is because the republifascists drew them there by invading in the first place.

If anyone is to blame for foreign insurgents in Iraq, its the republifascists assholes who started this stupid war.

red states rule
07-29-2007, 09:27 AM
The only reason there are so many foreigners in Iraq fighting the US forces is because the republifascists drew them there by invading in the first place.

If anyone is to blame for foreign insurgents in Iraq, its the republifascists assholes who started this stupid war.

So now that the terrorists are there - libs want to surrender and appease

Great battle plan - if you want the terrorists to win the fight

Spyder Jerusalem
07-29-2007, 09:34 AM
Surrender and appease?

What kind of fuckin' anti-psychotic drugs are you taking, dipshit?

I just want our nation's fighting men out of the hell-hole that idiot republifascists have created with their mosquito net of lies and deceit.

Thanks to fucktards like Bush and You, the US is the most hated and derided country on the planet, bar none.
We are responsible, now, for far w2orse atrocities anbd human rights violations than any puny Iraqi dictator.
Besisdes, Sadaam was the US's boy, and perpetrated those horrors he was accused of on the Kurds BECAUSE WE HELPED HIM DO IT.
He used nerve gas WE sold him, guns WE provided, and troops trained by the CIA.

If anyone is to blame for anyt56hing, its the US, and the republifascists.

red states rule
07-29-2007, 09:34 AM
Surrender and appease?

I just want our nation's fighting men out of the hell-hole that idiot republifascists have created with their mosquito net of lies and deceit.

Thanks to fucktards like Bush and You, the US is the most hated and derided country on the planet, bar none.
We are responsible, now, for far w2orse atrocities anbd human rights violations than any puny Iraqi dictator.
Besisdes, Sadaam was the US's boy, and perpetrated those horrors he was accused of on the Kurds BECAUSE WE HELPED HIM DO IT.

Bush Gives "Retreat" a Bad Name
“So, it has come to this,” I hissed as I crumpled up the announcement that Maharishi Steve’s Annual Yoga Retreat would from now on be officially known as a “Yoga Redeployment”. The whole thing was a sick, twisted joke, and I would have told the Maharishi as much if he had taken his toes out of ears long enough to listen.

The word “retreat” used to invoke pleasant thoughts of relaxing on some tropical shore, or perhaps enjoying a ginseng colonic with friends high in the wooded climes of the misty Cascades. But thanks to a relentless barrage of neo-con propaganda, “retreat” has now taken on a more negative connotation. Even congressional Democrats are afraid to utter the word, preferring instead to use the more palatable ”redeployment” when discussing their Iraq War strategy. Perhaps too eager to make nicey-nice with their Repug inferiors, the well-meaning Dems have failed to take a stand against the right-wing crusade to hijack the English language. Instead of fighting the GOP, they have essentally surrendered - a word the Repugs ironically stole from the benevolent, cheese-eating primates of France.

But it’s not to late for Democrats to take back “retreat” and preserve it for future generations of liberals. A massive marketing campaign must be launched to persuade the voting public not to think of a “retreat” as “fleeing from the battlefield”, but rather “taking a vacation from the war”. If Harry, Nancy, Jack, and all the leading Democrats in congress would make it a point to wear Hawaiian shirts, Bermuda shorts, Panama hats and sunglasses to every Congressional debate on Iraq, it would go a long way towards convincing the American people that with all the mindless bloodshed going on, it wouldn’t hurt everyone to take a little hiatus from reality with their Democrat pals for a while. Ya’ll can go right on fighting Bush’s illegal and immoral war without end, or you can join us liberals for some big, fruity, Appeasement & Capitulation cocktails down on Dhimmi Beach!

Sure, my idea may seem overly theatrical to some, but it’s far better than simply giving up on a word that has come to symbolize the Progressive approach to fighting the War on Terror.

http://blamebush.typepad.com/blamebush/2007/05/bush_gives_retr.html

Gaffer
07-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Surrender and appease?

It's only hated by the likes of you fucktard. To use your own expression. You have never served in the military so why are you so concerned, other than an excuse to hate Bush and the rest of the country. I have yet to see you post anything that wasn't attacking a poster here, attacking Bush or desecrating the country.

Dry up and blow away fucktard. :fu:

Spyder Jerusalem
07-29-2007, 08:37 PM
It's only hated by the likes of you fucktard.
There's yer first lie.
Is this the start of a trend?

You have never served in the military so why are you so concerned,
Yes, I have, dipshit.
Probably longer than you, armchair Patton.

other than an excuse to hate Bush
Just one of many.
I can't even begin to count all the good reasons to hate Bush.
That you like him is probably one good one.

I tend to not want to share a yoke with a diseased animal.

I have yet to see you post anything that wasn't attacking a poster here
You probably have some trouble with some of the big words.

desecrating the country
I love America, which is why I want to save her from republifascist swine like you.

Dry up and blow away fucktard.
Aww, how sweet.
He's using my words against me <sniff>

Oh well, monkey see, monkey do, I guess.

red states rule
07-30-2007, 03:08 AM
It's only hated by the likes of you fucktard. To use your own expression. You have never served in the military so why are you so concerned, other than an excuse to hate Bush and the rest of the country. I have yet to see you post anything that wasn't attacking a poster here, attacking Bush or desecrating the country.

Dry up and blow away fucktard. :fu:

Dems have a short and sweet plan to fight terrorists

Surrender and appesement. They have doing that sicne the Clinton years