PDA

View Full Version : Sounds Good!

Kathianne
07-29-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm salivating:

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/knx/silence/archives/2007/07/grilling_flat_i.shtml

Grilling: Flat Iron Steak

2007-07-27-Flatiron-Steaks-0000.JPG

Tonight I cooked a flat iron steak, billed as a new cut of meat. It was much more tender than the tri-tip steaks from a few months ago, though I'll repeat my admission that I'm not 100% sure that what I got back then was a tri-tip cut. The flat iron was more expensive, at $6.99 a pound from Kroger's, but well worth it. I used a rub suggested on the package, but it was responsible for just a hint of the incredible flavor.

I'll tell you exactly what the grilled flat iron steak put me in mind of. It brought back fond memories of the Brazilian BBQ beef we had the last time we were in Manhattan. Great flame-cooked beef that's juicy, tender, and naturally delicious.

We loved it, and we're going to buy it again the next chance we get. Confessions of a Butcher has more about the flatiron steak:

Why haven't we heard about this cut until now? Well, as previously mentioned, this is an non-traditional cut. But, in 2002, the National Cattleman's Assc. used the Checkoff Program, (a very cool program itself) to commission a muscle profiling study. In this study between NCBA’s Center for Research and Technical Services in partnership with the University of Florida and the University of Nebraska where every major muscle of the animal was analyzed separately for flavor and tenderness. The reason behind commissioning this study was to find better, more efficient cuts from the Chuck and the Round for both retail and food service uses. The results were pretty surprising. One of the most surprising things the study found was that the Flat Iron is in fact, the second most tender cut of meat from the steer, after the tenderloin. This cut then became the center star in a new promotional push by the NCA entitled "Value Cuts".

Is it a worthwhile cut of meat? The Flat Iron is, in this butcher's mind, one of the most versatile pieces of beef. It takes to a marinade like no other, it's tender beyond belief, and you can cook it with much success in many methods. Plus, it's cheap. Since it is from the shoulder, it can be found for as little as $3/lb here in the Midwest, and probably not much more than that elsewhere. You can grill it, use if for stirfry meat, use it for fajitas, braise it, fanfry it. Really, it is a great little cut that hopefully you will want to go out and try. If your butcher doesn't carry it, ask them to do some for you. IF they dont know how, refer them to the NCA's site, beef.org, or explain to them what I just showed. It will be worth your time.

More from Wikipedia. Shoulder top blade or top blade seem to be synonyms for flat iron steak. Even more from Gourmet Sleuth with recipes and name origins.

Posted by Les Jones on July 27, 2007 at 10:44 PM

Spyder Jerusalem
07-29-2007, 05:43 PM
I grill a flat iron steak about once a week.

Kansas City Steak Seasoning is all it, or any steak, ever needs.

Once it's grilled, let rest for five minutes, then slice on a bias against the grain for some of the tastiest beef in the world.

But, nothing tops a really fine ribeye.

OCA
07-29-2007, 06:20 PM
I grill a flat iron steak about once a week.

Once it's grilled, let rest for five minutes, then slice on a bias against the grain for some of the tastiest beef in the world.

But, nothing tops a really fine ribeye.

You grill a tube steak in your mouth once a week, who the fuck are you kidding.

Spyder Jerusalem
07-29-2007, 08:21 PM
I'm rubber and yer glue.
Anything you say bounces off me an sticks to you!

Idiot child.
You seem to have a cocksucking fascination.
Are you repressing something we should know about, sandwich fag?

OCA
07-29-2007, 08:26 PM
I'm rubber and yer glue.
Anything you say bounces off me an sticks to you!

Idiot child.
You seem to have a cocksucking fascination.
Are you repressing something we should know about, sandwich fag?

Nope, just recognize the ramblings of someone still in the closet, let it out, come out and get AIDS and do us all a favor and die since sooner or later all queer choicers get AIDS.

Spyder Jerusalem
07-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Ummm, isn't wishing death on another poster a violation of board policy?

No?

Then I hope yer fantasy comes true and you are violently raped by barbary apes on meth till yer distended colon resembles a wizards sleeve, puncturing and filling yer abdominal cavity with ripe green feces and AIDS laden monkey semen, you sad little twit.

Oh, and Kathianne, I'm sorry that this worthless turd utterly derailed yer delicious little steak thread.
I would have liked to talk about cooking and grilling, but there are some disgusting walking colostomy bag squeezings around here that won't leave me alone.

Yurt
07-29-2007, 11:26 PM
Ummm, isn't wishing death on another poster a violation of board policy?

No?

Then I hope yer fantasy comes true and you are violently raped by barbary apes on meth till yer distended colon resembles a wizards sleeve, puncturing and filling yer abdominal cavity with ripe green feces and AIDS laden monkey semen, you sad little twit.

Oh, and Kathianne, I'm sorry that this worthless turd utterly derailed yer delicious little steak thread.
I would have liked to talk about cooking and grilling, but there are some disgusting walking colostomy bag squeezings around here that won't leave me alone.

Liar, you crave, and admitted that is why you came to this board. Your effing saying by your avi says so.

:dance:

Spyder Jerusalem
07-29-2007, 11:40 PM
What?
Do you mean "Being A Bastard Works"?

That's just a fact.
It does.

My first post, right here, was about the topic, flatiron steak, and how I like to prepare it.
Nothing volatile, nothing overt.

Then this shit-fer-brains comes along an tells me I grill tubesteak in my mouth.

Now, who is the fucktard, and who's bein' nice?

82Marine89
07-29-2007, 11:45 PM
You grill a tube steak in your mouth once a week, who the fuck are you kidding.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/82Marine89/roflmao1.gif

Spyder Jerusalem
07-29-2007, 11:48 PM
And now this fucktard shows up and thinks its funny?

What happened to you, jarhead?
Cover too tight?
Gigline pinchin yer nutsac?

Or just the common "gyrene brain damage"?

jimnyc
07-30-2007, 11:53 AM
To ALL:

Let's please leave the insults and debates to the political section of the board. There is no reason whatsoever to attack others in a thread about a steak! The insults are becoming rampant in the political arena but I will have little tolerance for "friendly" threads being disrupted.

Kathianne
07-30-2007, 11:59 AM
To ALL:

Let's please leave the insults and debates to the political section of the board. There is no reason whatsoever to attack others in a thread about a steak! The insults are becoming rampant in the political arena but I will have little tolerance for "friendly" threads being disrupted.

Thanks Jim. Spyder to his credit, did respond appropriately and apologized for the thread going off track.

jimnyc
07-30-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks Jim. Spyder to his credit, did respond appropriately and apologized for the thread going off track.

And I have addressed this with him in private. I refuse to continue being addressed as "biased an unfair". This is happening not only by members here, but at other boards as well.

Like it or not, and I'm sure to receive a backlash over this, OCA has been banned from this thread.

Kathianne
07-30-2007, 12:19 PM
And I have addressed this with him in private. I refuse to continue being addressed as "biased an unfair". This is happening not only by members here, but at other boards as well.

Like it or not, and I'm sure to receive a backlash over this, OCA has been banned from this thread.

I agree on 'other boards'. While everyone knows that I try to play nice, :laugh2: , there seems to increasingly be a meanness I've not observed before, by people I'd never expect it from. Threads are just devolving into nothing but flamefests, oftentimes from the second post. Then there are those that refuse to listen to constructive criticism from others on the forums, such as not just mass posting.

Then there are the numerous threads started, just to put down particular posters that are 'not popular', rather than trying to address the problems via pm or something.

All of these and I'm sure more have made some turn to reading more and posting less. Heck some would rather try to post in 'cooking' rather than politics or WOT, and look what happened!

If someone tries the recipe from #1 post before I do, let me know how it turns out!

dan
07-30-2007, 12:25 PM

Ya crazy. That stuff's too strong, kills the flavor. I like to marinate a steak in Dale's, then just a little salt & pepper. I do sautee some mushrooms in butter and minced garlic, that really completes a steak, for me.

Spyder Jerusalem
07-30-2007, 12:27 PM
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/images/flatironsteak.jpg

We're grillin flat-iron today, medium-rare, with a smoke chip box to give it some mesquite flavor.

Grill it slow, on the cooler side of the grill, after first searing your grill marks in on the hot side.
It can take 30-40 minutes if done just right.

The searing locks in the juices, and keeps the meat moist as it cooks.

MMMMMMMMM good.

Kathianne
07-30-2007, 12:39 PM

We're grillin flat-iron today, medium-rare, with a smoke chip box to give it some mesquite flavor.

Grill it slow, on the cooler side of the grill, after first searing your grill marks in on the hot side.

MMMMMMMMM good.

That does sound good! I have another dozen filets and a half dozen NY Strips to go through before trying this out.

I've gotten some great recipes from this cb, along with helping a bit towards the military:

http://www.commandofthegrill.com/

I love grilled steaks!

-Cp
07-30-2007, 03:09 PM

MMMMMMMMM good.

Actually, searing does "Not lock in the juices" or anything else for that metter - it does, however, create a great texture...

According to Cooks Illustrated:
Food scientist Harold McGee debunked this conventional wisdom in his book "On Food and Cooking" (1984) when he proved that meat loses the same amount of liquid whether it has been seared or not.

The real reason to sear meat is to obtain the best flavor by encouraging a process known as the Maillard reaction.
In the early 1900s, French chemist Louis-Camille Maillard became the first to describe the effects--and gastronomic benefits--of browning meat. When meat is exposed to direct heat, sugars react with proteins to release hundreds and hundreds of flavor compounds. These compounds combine, break down, and multiply, creating deliciously intense flavors and rich brown coloration.

From Alton Brown:
A recent Good Eats episode with Alton Brown exposed the myth that searing meat locks in mosture. He took two meats of the same cut and similar weight. One was seared and the other was oven cooked. Weighing the two cooked meats showed that the seared meat was lighter than the oven cooked, concluding that the seared cut of meat actually lossed more mosture. Searing for grilling or barbeque is more for flavor with the carmelized juices, spices, sugar and salt than actually creating a juicier piece of meat.

Here is an exerpt from Wikipedia…

It is commonly believed that this acts to lock in the moisture or “seal in the juices” of the food. However, it has been scientifically shown that searing results in a greater net loss of moisture versus cooking to the same internal temperature without first searing. Nonetheless it remains an essential technique in cooking meat for several reasons:

The browning creates desirable flavors through caramelization and the Maillard reaction.
The appearance of the food is usually improved with a well-browned crust.
The contrast in taste and texture between the crust and the interior makes the food more interesting to the palate.
Typically in grilling the food will be seared over very high heat and then moved to a lower-temperature area of the grill. In braising, the seared surface acts to flavor, color and otherwise enrich the liquid in which the food is being cooked.