PDA

View Full Version : The Electoral College

KarlMarx
11-12-2016, 08:28 PM
There was recent discussion regarding the Electoral College

I found this article from the Heritage Foundation regarding that body. It was written in 2004, but it's still relevant to today's situation.

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2004/11/the-electoral-college-enlightened-democracy

The Founding Fathers never wanted the president to be decided by a popular vote in order to avoid a "tyranny of the majority". The Electoral College was created in order to get a sense of the people. I believe I once heard that smaller states were opposed to a popular election on the grounds that the more populated states would get all the attention of political candidates (since more people lived in them). The Electoral College gave the smaller states a better chance of being heard. Each state gets at least 3 electors (the number of electors = number of representatives + number of Senators).

Kathianne
11-13-2016, 02:09 AM
Federalist 38 was written quite awhile ago too, still relevant. The fact that there are actually 50 separate contests, not one large one, forces those running for office to address and reconcile issues facing the nation, not one bloc of states. (couldn't just appeal to industry, had to appeal to farmers too; can't just run the big states-have to get the middle too). It also keeps the system more honest and avoids widespread fraud.