PDA

View Full Version : So How Do We Roll Now?

Kathianne
11-15-2016, 04:25 PM
Paul Ryan was unanimously re-elected as Speaker of the House for the new Congress. It would take wholesale defections for him not to be elected by the entire House in January now.

Ryan also commented on the Bannon pick:
“This is a person who helped him win an incredible victory on an incredible campaign.” No criticism.

He knows the bottom line, he doesn't have to like him to work with him.

That's pretty much my take on the new President-elect. I said I'd give him time, I will. It's important that the country is governed, it's been a mess for 8 years. We're still involved in 5 wars.

I don't have to like the man for him to acknowledge if he is pursuing actions I think will benefit the country.

OTOH, one can 'like' a president and still know they suck.

It seems to me that if Trump realizes that many that really don't like him, still want him to succeed, and he holds back his tendency to attack he could be very successful.

If instead he reverts to the crazy stuff on attacking people on a personal level via twitter or at a podium, he will lose the good feelings that are likely without the nonsense.

jimnyc
11-15-2016, 04:50 PM
I would say to the folks that didn't support him prior to his inauguration - at least give him his first 100 days that he spoke of.

Kathianne
11-15-2016, 05:02 PM
I would say to the folks that didn't support him prior to his inauguration - at least give him his first 100 days that he spoke of.

I certainly fit the not support, I'll give it 6 months-1 year. 100 days is not enough, ask GW. Much can happen in 1 year and new presidents are very likely to be tested by enemies, within and without.

Giving him time means I won't 'attack' over simple mistakes or misspeaks. It happens to all, just much easier to make hay if you don't like that person. It doesn't mean that I will ignore what I see as pitfalls that he's walking into-intentionally or not. Thus my questioning on the 'blind trust' and problems he's having with getting folks to fill those positions he needs to get done.

How important? Again, ask GW who was unable to get this done between the 'hanging chads' and the sabotage by the Clintons that screwed them at every turn. I don't think Obama is doing that, he's actually gone out of his way to say he learned from GW and realized just how much he was helped by them to get up to a running start.

jimnyc
11-15-2016, 05:10 PM
I certainly fit the not support, I'll give it 6 months-1 year. 100 days is not enough, ask GW. Much can happen in 1 year and new presidents are very likely to be tested by enemies, within and without.

Giving him time means I won't 'attack' over simple mistakes or misspeaks. It happens to all, just much easier to make hay if you don't like that person. It doesn't mean that I will ignore what I see as pitfalls that he's walking into-intentionally or not. Thus my questioning on the 'blind trust' and problems he's having with getting folks to fill those positions he needs to get done.

How important? Again, ask GW who was unable to get this done between the 'hanging chads' and the sabotage by the Clintons that screwed them at every turn. I don't think Obama is doing that, he's actually gone out of his way to say he learned from GW and realized just how much he was helped by them to get up to a running start.

I think Obama is right in the respect that he will see things differently once in the oval office, that campaigning on promises, and then thinking it will be that easy once in there, is not going to happen.

In the first 100 days I think we will see a lot of things start to go in a lot of directions. Perhaps there won't be any decisions/results by that point though. But I would like to see what gets started within that time frame.

And I agree, although I'll have a wait and see outlook, if he fucks up on day 3, that hardly means it should be ignored.

These first 2 years will be interesting. From day one he'll have to worry about getting re-elected in 4 years. He/They also have to worry about elections again in 2 years and holding a majority if possible.

Back to the first 100 days. Nevermind what OCA thinks :) - the priority should be a SC justice. I want to see that and see who he chooses, as I think that will take away the fear of some, and also set a tone of sorts, IMO.

Kathianne
11-15-2016, 05:20 PM
It's important too that he can listen to those that do know more than he does on some specific issues. Ryan is one of them. Fine to have folks he trusts to give him questions to ask to make sure his plans are going where he wants, but there are many pitfalls built into the system.

Look at Wilson with his Treaty plans following WWI. He just pissed off the Senate and then was humiliated. He wouldn't listen to those who were trying to advise him. Just like I don't have to like the President as a person to find he may be the best person at the time; likewise some of the best advice he may receive could come from those he doesn't like or trust.

Abbey Marie
11-15-2016, 06:24 PM
Unfortunately, not many are as reasonable about this as Kathianne.
Must admit it makes me laugh when the disaffected think they have some right to approve his cabinet and advisory appointments.

Kathianne
11-15-2016, 07:04 PM
I think Obama is right in the respect that he will see things differently once in the oval office, that campaigning on promises, and then thinking it will be that easy once in there, is not going to happen.

In the first 100 days I think we will see a lot of things start to go in a lot of directions. Perhaps there won't be any decisions/results by that point though. But I would like to see what gets started within that time frame.

And I agree, although I'll have a wait and see outlook, if he fucks up on day 3, that hardly means it should be ignored.

These first 2 years will be interesting. From day one he'll have to worry about getting re-elected in 4 years. He/They also have to worry about elections again in 2 years and holding a majority if possible.

Back to the first 100 days. Nevermind what OCA thinks :) - the priority should be a SC justice. I want to see that and see who he chooses, as I think that will take away the fear of some, and also set a tone of sorts, IMO.

I expect that the Obama EO's will be dealt with immediately. I think we can see the SCOTUS justice on within those 100 days. Those EO's include a bunch of regulations on businesses, on environment, etc., thus expect to see some movement on economy. By the end of 100 days, I think we'll have a decent feeling whether the 'working together' between Republicans in Congress and the President are continuing or someone(s) derail. By then we should have a better handle of how they actually are going to deal with illegals-only the criminals? A wall? Whatever? Is he going to really go forward with massive 'investment' spending through taxes? Private? Will conservatives be given some chance to argue about what should be done by the states, rather than the feds? How are the dealing with the debt?

IMO, those 100 days are important, but so many things can happen that change the time table. I do know if he doesn't get all those jobs filled, it's going to be much, much harder.

Kathianne
11-15-2016, 07:08 PM
Unfortunately, not many are as reasonable about this as Kathianne.
Must admit it makes me laugh when the disaffected think they have some right to approve his cabinet and advisory appointments.

Well it IS a political discussion board, so it seems anyone should be able to throw in their 2 cents. It's not like folks have been hiding their feelings on his candidacy. With the exception of liberals, I've not seen anyone who didn't support him say unhelpful things. Like I said, sometimes those that aren't enthralled with the leader are worth listening to for a warning of what might be derailing.

NightTrain
11-15-2016, 07:13 PM
Did you guys see that Harry Reid just made a speech in the Senate demanding that Trump reverse course and axe Bannon?

Yup, very serious pressure exerted on Trump. Will he cave to Reid's demands?

Elessar
11-15-2016, 07:17 PM
Paul Ryan and Newt are good to have in his corner to roll back those EO's issued by Obama.
I don't think Trump is a fool, but feel he will surround himself with folks that know the system
and get it back on track.

Kathianne
11-15-2016, 07:21 PM
Did you guys see that Harry Reid just made a speech in the Senate demanding that Trump reverse course and axe Bannon?

Ok, I'd like to see Trump using his new presidential demeanor, go to a podium and say, "Senator Reid made some demands today, we'll give them the consideration they deserve. I'd like to think the Senator on his years of service and his helpful suggestions he's made towards Senate reforms on the filibuster and so many other things. Enjoy your retirement."

Elessar
11-15-2016, 07:59 PM

Reid has been an obstructionist ever since he took the seat as Sen Maj Leader
He should be told to pound gravel up his.....ummm..butt.

Ok, I'd like to see Trump using his new presidential demeanor, go to a podium and say, "Senator Reid made some demands today, we'll give them the consideration they deserve. I'd like to think the Senator on his years of service and his helpful suggestions he's made towards Senate reforms on the filibuster and so many other things. Enjoy your retirement."

You make a good point, Kath....kind of hard to overlook the obvious, though.

Balu
11-15-2016, 08:08 PM

I think people should be PATIENT. It's a good deal of work to get acquainted how to to rule a huge State mechanism you are not familiar with in details yet. 6 months is a time necessary for a person at a rank of a Minister but not a Leader of such a Great Country. There are too many nuances Trump will come across with, bearing on his shoulders the weight of responsibility for his steps . And a lot will depend on his team of highly skilled professionals sharing his views he may rely on.

Drummond
11-15-2016, 08:12 PM
I think people should be PATIENT. It's a good deal of work to get acquainted how to to rule a huge State mechanism you are not familiar with in details yet. 6 months is a time necessary for a person at a rank of a Minister but not a Leader of such a Great Country. There are too many nuances Trump will come across with, bearing on his shoulders the weight of responsibility for his steps . And a lot will depend on his team of highly skilled professionals sharing his views he may rely on.

We don't agree on much, Balu, but I can't fault you on this one - I agree 100 percent. Well said.

Kathianne
11-15-2016, 08:18 PM
Reid has been an obstructionist ever since he took the seat as Sen Maj Leader
He should be told to pound gravel up his.....ummm..butt.

You make a good point, Kath....kind of hard to overlook the obvious, though.

Yet the great ones are remembered for slicing and dicing with a smile. Reid will always be remembered as a dick, even by Democrats.

Balu
11-15-2016, 08:27 PM
We don't agree on much, Balu, but I can't fault you on this one - I agree 100 percent. Well said.

To confirm my words I would ask you to remember the beginnings and trace the careers of Reagan and Putin. Then you see what I meant. http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/friends.gif

Abbey Marie
11-15-2016, 09:47 PM
Well it IS a political discussion board, so it seems anyone should be able to throw in their 2 cents. It's not like folks have been hiding their feelings on his candidacy. With the exception of liberals, I've not seen anyone who didn't support him say unhelpful things. Like I said, sometimes those that aren't enthralled with the leader are worth listening to for a warning of what might be derailing.

I was was referring to the Dems in the news.

fj1200
11-16-2016, 11:21 AM

He gets as long as he gets until he does something that some won't agree with but it should be actual policy stuff and not the nitpicking that's happening now.