PDA

View Full Version : Space bar issues

jimnyc
11-16-2016, 10:45 AM
A few times in the past I know a few members have had issues where the space bar didn't work, or that hitting the enter key didn't drop them to a new line. Part of the resolution had to do with hitting the a/A key in the interface box to help (Temp resolution).

Anyone recall having similar issue, and what they did to resolve?

NightTrain
11-16-2016, 10:47 AM
testing

Cool, it works again!

I did the settings change, saved, then changed back to Enhanced like you recommended - problem solved!

That was a weird little glitch.

fj1200
11-16-2016, 10:57 AM
A few times in the past I know a few members have had issues where the space bar didn't work, or that hitting the enter key didn't drop them to a new line. Part of the resolution had to do with hitting the a/A key in the interface box to help (Temp resolution).

Anyone recall having similar issue, and what they did to resolve?

Minedoesn'tworkifit'sthelastsentenceofthepost.Tofi xitIneedtoputanotherlinebelowthesentenceI'mtypingb yhittingthe'enter'key.

err, I mean...

Mine doesn't work if I'm typing the last character of the post. To fix it I need to put another line below the sentence I'm typing by hitting the 'enter' key before I start or putting an extra period at the end.

jimnyc
11-16-2016, 10:59 AM
Minedoesn'tworkifit'sthelastsentenceofthepost.Tofi xitIneedtoputanotherlinebelowthesentenceI'mtypingb yhittingthe'enter'key.

err, I mean...

Mine doesn't work if I'm typing the last character of the post. To fix it I need to put another line below the sentence I'm typing by hitting the 'enter' key before I start or putting an extra period at the end.

You rock! I just posted this in our staff section as a test, and one of the guys from VB said to do the same for now. You using Chrome I assume?

Not sure there is a resolution for sure, I will keep peeking around, but read this:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-4/vbulletin-4-questions-problems-and-troubleshooting/4356452-space-bar-not-working-on-reply/page3

jimnyc
11-16-2016, 11:00 AM
Weird that this just started for a few folks, did Chrome just do an update?

jimnyc
11-16-2016, 11:00 AM
For those affected - go get an update:

​​​I heard that the next Chrome update fixes this issue. I have not confirmed this but you may want to check it out.

Hi all, the latest update to Chrome (11/6) corrects this issue. I have updated three computers and tested it and it seems to be 100% fixed. I am using 64-bit Chrome.
Version 54.0.2840.87 m

fj1200
11-16-2016, 11:02 AM
Yes, Chrome. I don't know about updates but it's been for a couple of weeks I'd guess. It oddly doesn't do it on a new post such as this but will when I quote another post.

It also did it when I've played WGT in the past but I haven't played there in ages and I didn't find a work around other than using periods.

jimnyc
11-16-2016, 11:03 AM
Yes, Chrome. I don't know about updates but it's been for a couple of weeks I'd guess. It oddly doesn't do it on a new post such as this but will when I quote another post.

It also did it when I've played WGT in the past but I haven't played there in ages and I didn't find a work around other than using periods.

Yup, that thread weirdly enough states it only happens when quoting as well.

Elessar
11-16-2016, 02:25 PM
My glitch only seemed to happen when I was replying to PM's, and occasionally when trying
to quote and reply to a post. With the quote and reply,I had to go back then try again.
With the PM's, all I could do was use a hyphen or period between words.

@jimnyc (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=1)...Can You 'STICKEY' this thread in case others have a similar problem?
There seem to be some good solutions being offered in it.

I am definitely not as techie as some of you folks!:laugh:

Abbey Marie
11-16-2016, 03:01 PM
My glitch only seemed to happen when I was replying to PM's, and occasionally when trying
to quote and reply to a post. With the quote and reply,I had to go back then try again.

@jimnyc (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=1)...Can You 'STICKEY' this thread in case others have a similar problem?

Good idea-done!

Elessar
11-16-2016, 03:05 PM
Good idea-done!

Thanks, Abbey!

KarlMarx
11-16-2016, 07:33 PM
I was experimenting with Chrome a couple of weeks ago and noticed that problem when I tried to post. I stopped using Chrome and still use Firefox.

To change topic, I can't update my profile picture anymore. I can upload or reference one, but it just won't show up on my posts. Don't know if that's something that's been reported.

Abbey Marie
11-16-2016, 07:35 PM
Also try closing a/A that shows up on the bar when you open up a window to type a post. Then close the window and reopen.

(Jim, do we have to close out DP too?)

pete311
11-16-2016, 07:37 PM
I was having this problem too before. Not with this post.

jimnyc
11-16-2016, 07:41 PM
I was experimenting with Chrome a couple of weeks ago and noticed that problem when I tried to post. I stopped using Chrome and still use Firefox.

To change topic, I can't update my profile picture anymore. I can upload or reference one, but it just won't show up on my posts. Don't know if that's something that's been reported.

It's 200k or smaller, and 200x200 or smaller? Which browser are you using? Can you send me the photo or link me to it?

jimnyc
11-16-2016, 07:42 PM

Which browser do you use?

Good idea-done!

Thanks!!

jimnyc
11-16-2016, 07:44 PM
Also try closing a/A that shows up on the bar when you open up a window to type a post. Then close the window and reopen.

(Jim, do we have to close out DP too?)

I would change/save the options, as NT stated worked for him. You shouldn't need to logout or anything else. I always recommend users occasionally deleting temp files and cookies and rebooting as well. Can't hurt!

jimnyc
11-16-2016, 07:45 PM
I was having this problem too before. Not with this post.

Which browser?

Abbey Marie
11-16-2016, 07:47 PM
I must be blind- how do you save?

jimnyc
11-16-2016, 07:50 PM
I must be blind- how do you save?

General settings, then change that field to 'basic editor' temporarily - the "save changes" button is at the bottom right underneath those options. Then go back in, change back to 'enhanced editor', then "save changes" again. Of course this is only if you are having that issue. ALSO, if you didn't see it within this thread, you and Russ should make sure you have the latest Chrome, the version is in that post above.

KarlMarx
11-16-2016, 08:01 PM
It's 200k or smaller, and 200x200 or smaller? Which browser are you using? Can you send me the photo or link me to it?

I am using Firefox...

The picture appears on my profile page but it won't appear whenever I post. I tried several different JPEGs, both uploading from a file and referencing a URL... I get the same result, the picture won't appear when I post.http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9484&stc=1

jimnyc
11-16-2016, 08:12 PM
I'm not going to pretend to know what the issue was Mr. Karl, but I uploaded it again from the admin panel and all looks good now. :)

KarlMarx
11-16-2016, 08:12 PM
Never mind... it was operator error.. I uploaded the pic to my profile picture not to my avatar... thanks for the help

jimnyc
11-16-2016, 08:19 PM
Never mind... it was operator error.. I uploaded the pic to my profile picture not to my avatar... thanks for the help

Not an issue, my deplorable friend! :)

Bilgerat
11-18-2016, 12:20 PM

err, I mean...

Samehere
Same here

pete311
12-10-2016, 04:15 PM
This is still giving me problems and I'm on chrome 54.0.2840.99 m

jimnyc
12-10-2016, 04:26 PM

I just started using Chrome myself and also have/had the issue. Here's a temporary workaround and you won't have to worry anymore.

Go to "Settings" at the top right of the board. Then scroll down on the left to "General Settings". On that screen, scroll down to the last set of options. Dollars to donuts, since it's default, the interface is set to "enhanced" - change this to "Standard" editor. "Save Changes" at the bottom.

You will see a visual difference when writing your posts. You will see the "code" instead of images, for example. But don't worry, it will be perfect once you make your post.

MANY are asking about this on Chrome/Vbulletin forums, so hopefully a fix will come out.

jimnyc
12-10-2016, 04:27 PM
Btw, so you see this - pete311

jimnyc
12-10-2016, 04:38 PM

I just checked my browser version for the hell of it, and I noticed mine is later than yours, so you need to update:

Version 55.0.2883.87 m (64-bit)

Google Chrome is up to date.

Additionally, the good news is that I just set my settings back to enhanced, came here and hit "reply to quote" on this, and it appears to be working!!

gabosaurus
12-10-2016, 06:07 PM
I haven't tried Chrome. I have always used Firefox. I know my phone operated on Chrome.

Elessar
12-10-2016, 06:30 PM
I've been using Chrome for a long time.

Firefox started coming out with too many roll-overs and pop-ups.

I used FF after I got tired of IE with the roll-overs and pop-ups;
then tried FF, then went to Chrome.

jimnyc
12-10-2016, 06:35 PM
I just checked my browser version for the hell of it, and I noticed mine is later than yours, so you need to update:

Version 55.0.2883.87 m (64-bit)

Google Chrome is up to date.

Additionally, the good news is that I just set my settings back to enhanced, came here and hit "reply to quote" on this, and it appears to be working!!

I reverse course on this. While Pete should be aware that there is a later version out there, it is NOT solving the issue in 'replying with quote' and being able to use the space bar to start off. False alarm. So use the instructions I pointed out above to use the standard editor. My bad. :(