PDA

View Full Version : The Challenge Facing Donald Trump and Republicans: Hold That Majority!

jimnyc
11-17-2016, 03:01 PM
Yup, this is what I was saying yesterday. From day one Trump will have to worry about keeping a majority in congress in a couple of years. And more so for those who's jobs wold be on the line.

-----

The Challenge Facing Donald Trump and Republicans: Hold That Majority!

Second of a Series

1. The Democrats Assess

In previous articles, we explored the Democrats’ likely trouble in the near term, and also the Democrats’ potential for a comeback in the long term. As the wise say, there are no final victories.

Next, we’ll consider how Republicans can hold on to their grip on the White House and on to their majorities in Congress. And we’ll consider these matters in two parts:

First, we’ll look at how parties have stayed on top in the past.

Second, and even more importantly, we’ll look at how a governing party can truly earn its enduring majority.

To be sure, in the immediate here and now, there’s good news—and more good news. For instance, The Washington Post reports that in the wake of the recent elections, no fewer than 25 states will have both a Republican governor and a Republican-controlled legislature.

Moreover, Hillary Clinton’s defeat seems to have let loose a whole farrago of Democratic reckoning, score-settling, and maybe even confessing.

For example, on Election Night, November 8, MSNBC host Chris Matthews said that Hillary Clinton’s loss to Trump was because “He’s on the popular side of trade, immigration and stupid wars.” And then, for good measure, Matthews used the phrase “stupid wars” again, thereby underscoring that Clinton, not Donald Trump, was the candidate of more vainglorious Middle East misadventure. (If the reader wants some fun, click on this link and watch the stricken body language of Matthews’ fellow panelists as he made his points.)

Two days later, on November 10, Matthews was right back at it, speaking of the Democrats’ snobbery:

Did they disdain the sort of middle class Catholic voter, for example, that turned off Hillary. Did they look down on them? I think they did. I get the feeling that a lot of it’s cultural, not just economic.

But wait! Want more recriminations? We’ve got ‘em! Post election, conservative blogger Dan McLaughlin sent out a mordantly understated tweet, “Maybe, in retrospect, mocking Jim Webb out of the party was not a great idea.” The tweet was referring, of course, to former US Sen. James Webb (D-VA), who epitomizes the old kind of Democrat—the flag-waving Democrats who supported Andrew Jackson, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Harry Truman. And so of course Webb had to be purged by Democrats. And just as predictably, most Webb-type Democrats voted for Trump.

And there’s more. On Sunday, Sen. Bernie Sanders said on Face the Nation, “Democrats have focused too much with a liberal elite while ignoring the working class.”

Sanders then added that the Democrats lost because while they have been “raising incredible sums of money from wealthy people, they have ignored to a very significant degree, working class, middle class, and low income people in this country.”

Talk such as that, we can observe, won’t get Sanders invited to any Clinton campaign reunions.

Meanwhile, here’s New York Times columnist Frank Bruni, issuing an ex post facto confessional:

Democrats adopted a strategy . . . that excluded a hefty share of Americans and consigned many to a “basket of deplorables” who aren’t all deplorable. Some are hurt. Some are confused. Liberals miss this by being illiberal.

Rest here - http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/11/17/virgil-challenge-facing-donald-trump-republicans-hold-majority/

Abbey Marie
11-17-2016, 03:44 PM
This is why it is absolutely crucial that Trump makes conservative USSC appointments while he has Congress. It will outlive the vagaries of future elections. I would actually prefer an apolitical Court, but that ship has sailed. So we must have "our" Justices.

Cool that I learned a new word from the article: "farrago". Thanks!

gabosaurus
11-17-2016, 07:25 PM
I think Trump should work at maintaining the edge in the Senate that he has now. It only take a couple of rogue GOP members to derail any legislation. And there are several that remain at odds with Trump.

Kathianne
11-17-2016, 07:44 PM
This is why it is absolutely crucial that Trump makes conservative USSC appointments while he has Congress. It will outlive the vagaries of future elections. I would actually prefer an apolitical Court, but that ship has sailed. So we must have "our" Justices.

Cool that I learned a new word from the article: "farrago". Thanks!

Well the court hasn't really been 'apolitical' since Marbury, a totally political maneuver. It would be good though for some consideration of what the Constitution actually says.

gabosaurus
11-20-2016, 11:55 AM
The REAL challenge facing Donald Trump? Figuring out what to do next. :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUWSLlz0Fdo&feature=youtu.be&t=7