PDA

View Full Version : This Math Problem Will Make You Question Everything You Ever Knew About Algebra

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-27-2016, 12:04 PM
http://www.popsugar.com/tech/YouTube-Math-Puzzle-41349242

Click link to get the math question..-Tyr

Math isn't everyone's best skill — and even those who are good at it are questioning everything after trying this algebra problem.

This Math Problem Will Make You Question Everything You Ever Knew About Algebra

The question originally went viral in Japan, after a study discovered that only 60 percent of 20-somethings could actually solve it. Are you already feeling frustrated and hopeless at trying to know what the answer is? Watch the video below, posted by YouTube user MindYourDecisions, a popular math puzzle channel. In it, Presh Talwalkar, the mastermind behind this question, will guide you to the right answer.

As you can see, not even a calculator can help you, as it will read the problem wrong and arrive at the answer of 9. To solve it correctly in a calculator, you need to write it out like this: 9-3/(1/3) + 1, which will lead you to 1 as the correct answer. The problem tests your knowledge of PEMDAS, the order of operations formula, which says you must get to the answer by following these steps in this order: parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction. In this question, that means dividing 3 by the 1/3 first, which is the same as 3x3. That will then lead you to 9-9+1. From there, 9-9=0 + 1 = 1. Ta-da!

If you arrived at 3, 7, or 9 as your answer, you're not alone. Most people have forgotten how to use PEMDAS or interpret the fraction of 1/3 the wrong way. Still not feeling much of a challenge? Try this other math question that not even parents could solve.

I called my wife over to solve the math question-she declared it was 3. I told her she was wrong, so she bet me 10 bucks that the correct answer is three.
I countered with its a deal but 20 bucks wagered plus our usual intimate side bet(;)).. She agreed, but on the condition that if she was wrong then my answer had to be correct for me to get the win on BOTH BETS.....
I agreed.
I SAID THE ANSWER IS ONE. SHE ALMOST FELL OUT LAUGHING..
That is until I showed her the math I used to get my answer , and then I showed her the rest of the article , which I had not bothered to even look at.
Now she says PAYING THE SIDE BET IS OK BUT NOT THE 20 BUCKS!
Why?
Her reasoning is that I took advantage of her by doubling her original bet of ten dollars !

My question is this-- is there any merit to her argument?
Now granted, I must tread carefully or else she may refuse to pay on both bets..
I value quite highly getting paid on the second bet... ;)-Tyr

Gunny
11-27-2016, 12:29 PM
I called my wife over to solve the math question-she declared it was 3. I told her she was wrong, so she bet me 10 bucks that the correct answer is three.
I countered with its a deal but 20 bucks wagered plus our usual intimate side bet(;)).. She agreed, but on the condition that if she was wrong then my answer had to be correct for me to get the win on BOTH BETS.....
I agreed.
That is until I showed her the math I used to get my answer , and then I showed her the rest of the article , which I had not bothered to even look at.
Why?
Her reasoning is that I took advantage of her by doubling her original bet of ten dollars !

Now granted, I must tread carefully or else she may refuse to pay on both bets..

There is no merit to her argument. This where you switch from math to logic. Which is more important? Winning/being right? Or "winning"?

Noir
11-28-2016, 08:55 AM
There isn't a single answer to the question, there are multiple, the sum itself is purely theoretical with no set values meaning a multiple answers is a-okay.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-28-2016, 09:18 AM
There isn't a single answer to the question, there are multiple, the sum itself is purely theoretical with no set values meaning a multiple answers is a-okay.

You are wrong, math is not multiple choice. There is only one Correct answer. And that is the sum is 1.--TYR

"no set values meaning a multiple answers is a-okay."

^^^^ YES, SPOKEN RIGHT IN LINE WITH TYPICAL LIBERAL THINKING /PHILOSOPHY.
WHEREIN THEY ALWAYS APPLY THEIR "MILLION SHADES OF GRAY" BULLSHAT, TO ARRIVE AT EACH CIRCUMSTANCE HAVING NO SET VALUES!

MULTIPLE ANSWERS ARE OK-- WHEN DESCRIBING THE ARROGANCE, ELITISM AND STUPIDITY OF LIBERALS, ON THAT I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE.-TYR

Noir
11-28-2016, 09:18 AM
Oh my good grief :laugh::laugh::laugh:

CSM
11-28-2016, 09:29 AM
I know I am very old and things have change a lot since I learned basic math. However, as I recall the order for operations in math (I remember it as PEMDAS ... "Please excuse my dear aunt sally") is parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division, addition and subtraction. Not sure if that still holds true or not but that is how I do it...

Applying that, I do the division first (3 divided by 1/3) and get 9; 9-9 gives me 0 and 0 + 1 gives me an answer of 1.

Kathianne
11-28-2016, 09:37 AM
I know I am very old and things have change a lot since I learned basic math. However, as I recall the order for operations in math (I remember it as PEMDAS ... "Please excuse my dear aunt sally") is parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division, addition and subtraction. Not sure if that still holds true or not but that is how I do it...

Applying that, I do the division first (3 divided by 1/3) and get 9; 9-9 gives me 0 and 0 + 1 gives me an answer of 1.

I agree, something everyone should have learned in 4th grade.

CSM
11-28-2016, 09:39 AM

I can barely remember 4th grade...LOL... but some things stick with me.

Black Diamond
11-28-2016, 10:18 AM
That aunt Sally is a real bitch. And people keep making excuses for her.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-28-2016, 10:30 AM

I learned that by 5th grade, if I recall correctly. So many decades ago, it may have been 4th grade..
These days in our --"deplorable"- public school system, they are damn lucky if they, even learn that by their senior year in high school!!!!
Kat, your comment hints at your true age...... since the days of such early learning are, shall I say, a bit far gone.....;)--Tyr

Black Diamond
11-28-2016, 10:32 AM
Oh my good grief :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Have it your way. Just don't complain when your bridges fail.

Noir
11-28-2016, 12:04 PM
I understand that you're all thinking back to a set order you learnt in school etc, but that order is nothing but a shortcut that gets you most of the way pretty cleanly, but ignores the real mathematics taking place.

Lemme put it as simply as I can, using your 'order' what is the value of 8-2+1?

CSM
11-28-2016, 12:14 PM
I understand that you're all thinking back to a set order you learnt in school etc, but that order is nothing but a shortcut that gets you most of the way pretty cleanly, but ignores the real mathematics taking place.

Which is why they often use parentheses for clarity. I do believe (I could be wrong) that the basic rule I was taught is addition and subtraction is done from left to right; thus 8-2 = 6; 6+1 = 7. Not sure what they teach you folks across the pond but I bet you are looking for something like addition first then subtraction which results in 2+1 = 3; 8 - 3 = 5. All I can say is that what I have learned has worked well so far.

Black Diamond
11-28-2016, 12:18 PM

The only answer is 7.

Black Diamond
11-28-2016, 12:19 PM
Which is why they often use parentheses for clarity. I do believe (I could be wrong) that the basic rule I was taught is addition and subtraction is done from left to right; thus 8-2 = 6; 6+1 = 7. Not sure what they teach you folks across the pond but I bet you are looking for something like addition first then subtraction which results in 2+1 = 3; 8 - 3 = 5. All I can say is that what I have learned has worked well so far.

He is looking for that. But 5 is wrong.

CSM
11-28-2016, 12:24 PM

Trying to remember this crap is hard for an old guy but I seem to remember that the justification for the answer "7" is that the problem is written as if you were adding a negative number, thus 8 + (-2) = 6; 6 + 1 = 7.

But hey....what the heck do I know.

Black Diamond
11-28-2016, 12:25 PM
Trying to remember this crap is hard for an old guy but I seem to remember that the justification for the answer "7" is that the problem is written as if you were adding a negative number, thus 8 + (-2) = 6; 6 + 1 = 7.

But hey....what the heck do I know.

Your memory is better than you think.

CSM
11-28-2016, 12:25 PM
Your memory is better than you think.

For now....heh....

aboutime
11-28-2016, 02:48 PM
I agreed.
Why?

Tyr. Gotta admit. Never learned algebra, and surprise, surprise....Over my almost seventy years now..I never had any reason to use it. SO..never lost any money on a bet of that kind.:lol:

revelarts
11-28-2016, 03:06 PM
OK I'm not great at math, geometry is another story, but math ugh.
So can some of you math whizzes tell me what i'm reading wrong here.

"parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction. In this question, that means dividing 3 by the 1/3 first, which is the same as 3x3. That will then lead you to 9-9+1. From there, 9-9=0 + 1 = 1. Ta-da!"

So OK what i read is parentheses, THEN you do ANY exponents, THEN you do ANY multiplication, THEN you do ANYdivision, THEN you do ANYaddition, THEN AFTER ALL THAT you do ANYsubtraction.

So in this problem to me, that means dividing 3 by the 1/3 first, which is the same as 3x3.
OK fine got thatTHEN
That will then leave you to 9-9+1.
RIGHT HERE is where I have problem teachers.
In my mind ...based on the 4th grade instructions... ADDITION is next.
So I get 9-(9+1)=? Sooo THEN subtraction is LAST 9-10=? at this point right?
Why am i wrong here?

the formula says Addition BEFORE subtraction so why does the problem go
"From there, 9-9=0 + 1 = 1. Ta-da!"?

I'm more than willing to be schooled here because I seriously don't get it. if we're applying the rules as stated.

CSM
11-28-2016, 04:09 PM
OK I'm not great at math, geometry is another story, but math ugh.
So can some of you math whizzes tell me what i'm reading wrong here.

So OK what i read is parentheses, THEN you do ANY exponents, THEN you do ANY multiplication, THEN you do ANYdivision, THEN you do ANYaddition, THEN AFTER ALL THAT you do ANYsubtraction.

So in this problem to me, that means dividing 3 by the 1/3 first, which is the same as 3x3.
OK fine got thatTHEN
That will then leave you to 9-9+1.
RIGHT HERE is where I have problem teachers.
In my mind ...based on the 4th grade instructions... ADDITION is next.
So I get 9-(9+1)=? Sooo THEN subtraction is LAST 9-10=? at this point right?
Why am i wrong here?

the formula says Addition BEFORE subtraction so why does the problem go
"From there, 9-9=0 + 1 = 1. Ta-da!"?

I'm more than willing to be schooled here because I seriously don't get it. if we're applying the rules as stated.

Actually, I believe that addition and subtraction are done sequentially from left to right thus : 9-9+1 = 1 because 9-9 = 0; 0+1 = 1.

revelarts
11-28-2016, 04:35 PM
Actually, I believe that addition and subtraction are done sequentially from left to right thus : 9-9+1 = 1 because 9-9 = 0; 0+1 = 1.
mmhmm, I suspected as much, but it seems we don't just go from left to right in general ...sometimes.
SO this "RULE" everyone learned in 4th-5th grade is incomplete.
Or the rule changes when you get to certain ...undetermined... points.
See why i hate math? Don't tell me a rule that only works in certain situations as if it's immutable.
Same with English and Spelling "I after E except after C" is BS. it's not a rule it's a cute saying and the PEMAS seems a generality not a serious rule.
One reason why i like geometry better, there are firkin' LAWS in geometry, the same every time.
:sleep:

CSM
11-28-2016, 04:40 PM
mmhmm, I suspected as much, but it seems we don't just go from left to right in general ...sometimes.
SO this "RULE" everyone learned in 4th-5th grade is incomplete.
Or the rule changes when you get to certain ...undetermined... points.
See why i hate math? Don't tell me a rule that that only works in certain situations.
Same with English and Spelling "I after E except after C" is BS. it's not a rule it's a cute saying and the PEMAS is a generality not rule.
one reason why i like geometry better there are LAWS in geometry, the same ever time.

Truthfully, I don't recall learning "addition before subtraction".... again, I am old so forgive me for forgetting something I learned half a century ago. I do think that the "rule" I learned only works for positive numbers. Negative numbers came later methinks.

I am no math whiz either and am too lazy to look this stuff up.

CSM
11-28-2016, 04:48 PM
Further, from what I remember, instead of 9-(9+1), I treat it as 9 + (-9) + 1 = 1.

All I can say that I manage to balance my checkbook well enough to stay out of trouble ...

Makes one think though ....

Balu
11-28-2016, 09:38 PM
Preliminary interview quiz prior to entrance exam.
Time limit to answer - 20 sec.
Given: 1 amoeba expands twice per second and thus fills the 200c. glass for 1 minute.
Q: How much time it will take 2 amoebas to fill half a glass? http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/smile3.gif

Balu
12-23-2016, 08:01 PM
Well...
I suppose 20 seconds expired.
Can anybody give an answer? I am warning, the answer is not so simple as it may seem from the first glance. http://s19.rimg.info/aee19e2775457d135efdf745e7d94e15.gif (http://smayliki.ru/smilie-1224821991.html)

Gunny
12-23-2016, 11:28 PM
Well...
I suppose 20 seconds expired.
Can anybody give an answer? I am warning, the answer is not so simple as it may seem from the first glance. http://s19.rimg.info/aee19e2775457d135efdf745e7d94e15.gif (http://smayliki.ru/smilie-1224821991.html)

Sure ... "The Sergeant Major is always right". :laugh: