PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Dies When Plane Crashes At Dayton Air Show (Creepy feeling about this)

Trinity
07-30-2007, 08:28 AM
My boy's went to there Dad's this past weekend it was his weekend and he had been talking about taking them to this air show for about a month now, so I knew they were going.

Funny thing is a few days before he was due to pick them up on Friday I got this weird feeling there was going to be a plane crash and it kinda freaked me out because my boy's were going to be there and god forbid they get hurt from a plane crash there, or they witness this event. Of course I didn't have a feeling about my boy's getting hurt just a plane crash, so I let them go.

I called my 11 year old at his dads yesterday to see how the air show went and if he had fun, first words out of his mouth were there was a plane crash so they canceled the show I was like WHAT cause I hadn't seen the news yet. I asked him if anyone got hurt? he said no, just the pilot died. I was like oh my god! I said did you and your brother see the plane crash? he told me no, they thankfully were off with their dad doing something else so they missed it.

This kind of thing happens with me all the time so I shouldn't really be surprised but it still freaks me out. Especially when my kids are involved!

Pilot Dies When Plane Crashes At Dayton Air Show

POSTED: 3:49 pm EDT July 28, 2007
UPDATED: 9:07 am EDT July 29, 2007

DAYTON -- A plane performing a stunt crashed into a runway Saturday before thousands of people at the annual air show at Dayton International Airport, a show official said.

The pilot, Jim LeRoy, was taken to Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton where he was prounounced dead. LeRoy had been flying at air shows for 14 years.

The plane was one of two making loop-to-loops with smoke trailing as part of the show just after 2:30 p.m. when Leroy's plane, "Mary's Lamb" slammed into the runway and caught fire.

Fire trucks sprayed foam on the wreckage to extinguish the fire.

The crowd stood stunned as the show was shut down, witnesses said.

"It came down and didn't have enough room," said Aaron Smith, of Troy, who was watching the exhibition with his 5-year-old son, Weston. "I could hear it crunch, hard. Some pieces came off."

"The other guy, it just looked like he was too low. I seen him come down and saw the other plane come down and this plane went back up, but he never went back up and I told my brother, I said, 'I think he crashed'," David Essex said.

Airport fire chief Mark Carpenter said it took less than a minute for fire trucks to arrive and start putting out the fire.

He said LeRoy's plane struck the ground at an angle and slid about 300 yards after impact, bursting into flames and spewing black smoke.

"We cut Mr. LeRoy out of the aircraft," Carpenter said.

Officials said the crash was the first fatal crash in Dayton Air Show history.

A performance by the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds was canceled. But officials said people who had ticket stubs from Saturday would be admitted to Sunday's scheduled performance.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/13775002/detail.html

JohnDoe
07-30-2007, 08:52 AM
Thank goodness your boys are okay.

Preminitions like that, or in your case, female intuition, happens to me also, and not by will, just by happenstance it seems.

It's a good thing! Count your blessings!

I like to believe it is my guardian angel! hahaha! :)

Trinity
07-30-2007, 08:57 AM

Preminitions like that, or in your case, female intuition, happens to me also, and not by will, just by happenstance it seems.

yeah I seem to have a lot of female intuition going on quite often, and it has never been wrong!

hmmm guardian angel that's the second time that subject has come up in the past 5 days!

nevadamedic
07-30-2007, 08:58 AM
My boy's went to there Dad's this past weekend it was his weekend and he had been talking about taking them to this air show for about a month now, so I knew they were going.

Funny thing is a few days before he was due to pick them up on Friday I got this weird feeling there was going to be a plane crash and it kinda freaked me out because my boy's were going to be there and god forbid they get hurt from a plane crash there, or they witness this event. Of course I didn't have a feeling about my boy's getting hurt just a plane crash, so I let them go.

I called my 11 year old at his dads yesterday to see how the air show went and if he had fun, first words out of his mouth were there was a plane crash so they canceled the show I was like WHAT cause I hadn't seen the news yet. I asked him if anyone got hurt? he said no, just the pilot died. I was like oh my god! I said did you and your brother see the plane crash? he told me no, they thankfully were off with their dad doing something else so they missed it.

This kind of thing happens with me all the time so I shouldn't really be surprised but it still freaks me out. Especially when my kids are involved!

Pilot Dies When Plane Crashes At Dayton Air Show

POSTED: 3:49 pm EDT July 28, 2007
UPDATED: 9:07 am EDT July 29, 2007

DAYTON -- A plane performing a stunt crashed into a runway Saturday before thousands of people at the annual air show at Dayton International Airport, a show official said.

The pilot, Jim LeRoy, was taken to Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton where he was prounounced dead. LeRoy had been flying at air shows for 14 years.

The plane was one of two making loop-to-loops with smoke trailing as part of the show just after 2:30 p.m. when Leroy's plane, "Mary's Lamb" slammed into the runway and caught fire.

Fire trucks sprayed foam on the wreckage to extinguish the fire.

The crowd stood stunned as the show was shut down, witnesses said.

"It came down and didn't have enough room," said Aaron Smith, of Troy, who was watching the exhibition with his 5-year-old son, Weston. "I could hear it crunch, hard. Some pieces came off."

"The other guy, it just looked like he was too low. I seen him come down and saw the other plane come down and this plane went back up, but he never went back up and I told my brother, I said, 'I think he crashed'," David Essex said.

Airport fire chief Mark Carpenter said it took less than a minute for fire trucks to arrive and start putting out the fire.

He said LeRoy's plane struck the ground at an angle and slid about 300 yards after impact, bursting into flames and spewing black smoke.

"We cut Mr. LeRoy out of the aircraft," Carpenter said.

Officials said the crash was the first fatal crash in Dayton Air Show history.

A performance by the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds was canceled. But officials said people who had ticket stubs from Saturday would be admitted to Sunday's scheduled performance.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/13775002/detail.html

Unfortunatly that kinda thing happens all the time at Air Shows. We have really big Air Races every year up here and it never fail's, a pilot always ends up dying. Weather they were trying to do something stupid or is is an accient they never usually say.

I don't do flying. I would never get near Care Flight when I was on the Fire Department. They would always pull an EMT on board to help out and I would run like hell. I don't do flying. THat chopper crashed twice while I was on the department. The one time wasn't so bad but the other it didn't turn out good at all. An EMT from our Department, the Flight Nurse, patient and the pilot all dead.

Trinity
07-30-2007, 09:11 AM
Unfortunatly that kinda thing happens all the time at Air Shows. We have really big Air Races every year up here and it never fail's, a pilot always ends up dying. Weather they were trying to do something stupid or is is an accient they never usually say.

I don't do flying. I would never get near Care Flight when I was on the Fire Department. They would always pull an EMT on board to help out and I would run like hell. I don't do flying. THat chopper crashed twice while I was on the department. The one time wasn't so bad but the other it didn't turn out good at all. An EMT from our Department, the Flight Nurse, patient and the pilot all dead.

Yeah I am not big on flying either and if I have to fly I would take a large jet over a smaller plane. I would prefer not to fly at all, but I had to take a flight back in 1986 From California back to Ohio. It wasn't to bad, but 7 hours that high up in the sky I would prefer not to do it again. Of course it was much faster then the 3 day road trip it took to get there!:coffee:

JohnDoe
07-30-2007, 09:30 AM
yeah I seem to have a lot of female intuition going on quite often, and it has never been wrong!

hmmm guardian angel that's the second time that subject has come up in the past 5 days!

really?

what did I miss? :)

nevadamedic
07-30-2007, 09:33 AM

Uhhhhhh, you have female intuition? :laugh2:

Trinity
07-30-2007, 10:01 AM
really?

what did I miss? :)

nothing...... it was a friend of my dad's who stopped in here last Thursday and we got on the discussion of guardian angels he was telling us about his.

Sitarro
07-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Yeah I am not big on flying either and if I have to fly I would take a large jet over a smaller plane. I would prefer not to fly at all, but I had to take a flight back in 1986 From California back to Ohio. It wasn't to bad, but 7 hours that high up in the sky I would prefer not to do it again. Of course it was much faster then the 3 day road trip it took to get there!:coffee:

I know that a lot of people feel the same way but flying is a lot safer than driving in a car. I come from a family of pilots...... My Dad was in WW 2 flying P-51s at 19......he continued flying for the Air Force for 29 years. Once he retired he flew corporate jets for another 20 years...... he had to bail out once when his P-51's engine caught on fire. Three of my brothers are Captains with a majot airline. between them they have 90 years of flying experience...... my youngest brother is the only one that has had a serious problem. He lost his number one engine at 16,000 feet but was able to turn it around and land it safely, the advantages of two engines.

When you consider the amount of things that can go wrong in 3 hours rather than three days of driving....... flying is definitely safer. I do know how you feel though. Even with all of those family members as pilots and learning to fly myself, I am still blown away at how fantastic it is that we can walk around at thirty seven thousand feet, traveling at over 500 miles an hour in a metal tube that weighs 255,000 pounds and burning 1,100 gallons of jet fuel an hour(stats of a 757-200). Over the last 11 years, I have flown to different golf courses around the country an average of twice a month.... I still get that feeling.

A small plane can have it's advantages too, it will usually glide further and is capable of being put down on a highway if needed. Our little Piper is kind of like a kite and has a very slow stall speed of less than 45 miles an hour. We also have safety harnesses in the plane so unless a wing falls off and we go straight in, we should walk away.

nevadamedic
07-30-2007, 10:34 AM
I know that a lot of people feel the same way but flying is a lot safer than driving in a car. I come from a family of pilots...... My Dad was in WW 2 flying P-51s at 19......he continued flying for the Air Force for 29 years. Once he retired he flew corporate jets for another 20 years...... he had to bail out once when his P-51's engine caught on fire. Three of my brothers are Captains with a majot airline. between them they have 90 years of flying experience...... my youngest brother is the only one that has had a serious problem. He lost his number one engine at 16,000 feet but was able to turn it around and land it safely, the advantages of two engines.

When you consider the amount of things that can go wrong in 3 hours rather than three days of driving....... flying is definitely safer. I do know how you feel though. Even with all of those family members as pilots and learning to fly myself, I am still blown away at how fantastic it is that we can walk around at thirty seven thousand feet, traveling at over 500 miles an hour in a metal tube that weighs 255,000 pounds and burning 1,100 gallons of jet fuel an hour(stats of a 757-200). Over the last 11 years, I have flown to different golf courses around the country an average of twice a month.... I still get that feeling.

A small plane can have it's advantages too, it will usually glide further and is capable of being put down on a highway if needed. Our little Piper is kind of like a kite and has a very slow stall speed of less than 45 miles an hour. We also have safety harnesses in the plane so unless a wing falls off and we go straight in, we should walk away.

The hell it can, there are more crashes of small planes then there is of larger aircraft, except for maybe Choppers. I was at the scene of two chopper crashes and they wernt pretty.

Sitarro
07-30-2007, 11:05 AM
The hell it can, there are more crashes of small planes then there is of larger aircraft, except for maybe Choppers. I was at the scene of two chopper crashes and they wernt pretty.

Of course there are more small plane crashes, they tend to be mostly pilot error. With personal aircraft there are few regulations governing the competence of the pilot after they get their license. The aircraft themselves are suppose to be inspected annually but I'm sure that gets ignored often. You also have people learning to fly in small planes, good chance of a crash with a student pilot. Airlines, at least in America, are heavily regulated. The pilots are examined often, there health and their skill level are tested numerous times a year.

Helicopters don't count, they don't have a fixed wing, they shouldn't fly, it's against nature. When was the last time you saw a bird without a fixed wing flying? That, of course, is a joke..... the helicopter is proof of the amazing skill humans have as designers(amazing that we are the only animals that evolved this far:laugh2:).

nevadamedic
07-30-2007, 11:10 AM
Of course there are more small plane crashes, they tend to be mostly pilot error. With personal aircraft there are few regulations governing the competence of the pilot after they get their license. The aircraft themselves are suppose to be inspected annually but I'm sure that gets ignored often. You also have people learning to fly in small planes, good chance of a crash with a student pilot. Airlines, at least in America, are heavily regulated. The pilots are examined often, there health and their skill level are tested numerous times a year.

Helicopters don't count, they don't have a fixed wing, they shouldn't fly, it's against nature. When was the last time you saw a bird without a fixed wing flying? That, of course, is a joke..... the helicopter is proof of the amazing skill humans have as designers(amazing that we are the only animals that evolved this far:laugh2:).

And to think, we have been putting our President's on helicopters for years (Marine 1).

JohnDoe
07-30-2007, 11:29 AM
Uhhhhhh, you have female intuition? :laugh2:

actually nevada, you are making me come clean, I am a JaneDoe, not a JohnDoe...

:cheers2:

Jane

Trinity
07-30-2007, 11:53 AM

Jane

:laugh2: I kinda figured that. :laugh2:

JohnDoe
07-30-2007, 01:19 PM
:laugh2: I kinda figured that. :laugh2:

:2up:

Bravo Trinity! You would think that my sensitivity in my posts would have given me away? :D

Though, there are some on this board that I confessed to almost immediately but have kept their lips sealed and I thank them for such!

Hagbard Celine
07-30-2007, 01:31 PM
Was it women's intuition? A revelation from God? Or was it the normal worry of a mother? We may never know?!?!?!?!?!?!? :poke:

nevadamedic
07-30-2007, 02:14 PM

Jane

Yikes, your a transsexual? :poke:

nevadamedic
07-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Was it women's intuition? A revelation from God? Or was it the normal worry of a mother? We may never know?!?!?!?!?!?!? :poke:

Is everything with you an attack on Religion?

I think woman's intuition is that thing that happens once a month where they bleed and don't die and have to take something called Midol and make the mans life more miserable then it already is. :laugh2:

Hagbard Celine
07-30-2007, 02:28 PM
Is everything with you an attack on Religion?

I think woman's intuition is that thing that happens once a month where they bleed and don't die and have to take something called Midol and make the mans life more miserable then it already is. :laugh2:

Where's the "attack on religion?"

nevadamedic
07-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Where's the "attack on religion?"

The whole Revalation of God thing...............

Gaffer
07-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Trinity gets her intuition from me. Though I didn't know about this particular one. Explains why I was feeling antsy all day Saturday.

I'm not big on flying myself. Did a lot of it 40 years ago. Choppers are truly not meant to fly. They stay in the air purely by the will of the pilot. Back then I didn't mind the flying but now days I'm scared of heights. Not sure I could even bring myself to get on a chopper today. Far cry from the days I would sit in the door with my feet hanging out and no straps or anything to hold me in.

Mr. P
07-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Trinity gets her intuition from me. Though I didn't know about this particular one. Explains why I was feeling antsy all day Saturday.

I'm not big on flying myself. Did a lot of it 40 years ago. Choppers are truly not meant to fly. They stay in the air purely by the will of the pilot. Back then I didn't mind the flying but now days I'm scared of heights. Not sure I could even bring myself to get on a chopper today. Far cry from the days I would sit in the door with my feet hanging out and no straps or anything to hold me in.

Helicopters fly? Ha! They just beat the air into submission! :laugh2:

Sitarro
07-30-2007, 09:04 PM

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:If that isn't the voice of experience I don't know what is.

Gaffer
07-30-2007, 09:15 PM

Never heard it put that way, but its definitely a true statement.

JohnDoe
07-30-2007, 09:17 PM

On vacation in Hawaii, we took a helicopter ride overseeing Haleakala, a volcano on Maui....it went up 10,000 feet, I was certain we were dead. The pilot and owner was an ex pilot from Nam, and there's no complaining about his flying skills, but neither of us will ever fly in a helicopter again, and when the tour was over, we physically got on our knees and kissed the ground! hahaha! I kid you not and a few of the other couples, did the same!

Less than a week after we got home there was a copter crash, 10 dead, filled with tourists.

That sealed it...no more helicopters for us!!!!!!!

There is just something WRONG about flying in a helicopter, a plane I can handle!

Sitarro
07-30-2007, 10:37 PM
On vacation in Hawaii, we took a helicopter ride overseeing Haleakala, a volcano on Maui....it went up 10,000 feet, I was certain we were dead. The pilot and owner was an ex pilot from Nam, and there's no complaining about his flying skills, but neither of us will ever fly in a helicopter again, and when the tour was over, we physically got on our knees and kissed the ground! hahaha! I kid you not and a few of the other couples, did the same!

Less than a week after we got home there was a copter crash, 10 dead, filled with tourists.

That sealed it...no more helicopters for us!!!!!!!

There is just something WRONG about flying in a helicopter, a plane I can handle!

Many years ago I worked for a drilling rig company as a draftsman. I would have to fly on Petroleum Helicopters from Louisiana out into the Gulf to rigs the company owned. I flew on 4 different helicopters during that year. A Bell 212.... rough but roomy. The Bell 412...... much smoother with the 4 rotor blades. The Bell 206..... very loud but fun. And the nicest and very fast...a Bell 222. Taking off from a platform on a rig is quite an experience. The pilot would get it off the platform with help from the ground effect but as soon as they would clear the platform they would drop the nose and dive towards the water, gain speed and pull up..... quite a rush.

I was on a rig one night and got to talking with the tool pusher(the guy in charge on a rig). He was a Marine WW2 pilot and was a lot of fun to speak to. We got along great talking about planes ost of the night. The next day the seas were very rough. I was scheduled to return to shore on a supply boat with all of the other service personnel. Looking at the boat below, bobbing like a cork in the sea, was getting me sick just thinking about the 9 hour ride in. The crane operater was lowering the equipment to the deck below with huge bangs when the stuff hit the deck. I knew I was going to have to ride the basket down too and was not thrilled at all. The tool pusher showed up and pulled me aside. He told me to not tell anyone else....... the head of the drilling company had ordered a helicopter to ride in and he had set up a seat for me..... I jumped at the chance for a short hour flight in the storm over that boat ride. I went to the helideck and got on board. We almost got blown off before we finally took off. The flight was great. It was my last ride in a chopper and it was a good one.

JohnDoe
07-31-2007, 04:16 AM
Many years ago I worked for a drilling rig company as a draftsman. I would have to fly on Petroleum Helicopters from Louisiana out into the Gulf to rigs the company owned. I flew on 4 different helicopters during that year. A Bell 212.... rough but roomy. The Bell 412...... much smoother with the 4 rotor blades. The Bell 206..... very loud but fun. And the nicest and very fast...a Bell 222. Taking off from a platform on a rig is quite an experience. The pilot would get it off the platform with help from the ground effect but as soon as they would clear the platform they would drop the nose and dive towards the water, gain speed and pull up..... quite a rush.

I was on a rig one night and got to talking with the tool pusher(the guy in charge on a rig). He was a Marine WW2 pilot and was a lot of fun to speak to. We got along great talking about planes ost of the night. The next day the seas were very rough. I was scheduled to return to shore on a supply boat with all of the other service personnel. Looking at the boat below, bobbing like a cork in the sea, was getting me sick just thinking about the 9 hour ride in. The crane operater was lowering the equipment to the deck below with huge bangs when the stuff hit the deck. I knew I was going to have to ride the basket down too and was not thrilled at all. The tool pusher showed up and pulled me aside. He told me to not tell anyone else....... the head of the drilling company had ordered a helicopter to ride in and he had set up a seat for me..... I jumped at the chance for a short hour flight in the storm over that boat ride. I went to the helideck and got on board. We almost got blown off before we finally took off. The flight was great. It was my last ride in a chopper and it was a good one.

More power to ya! YOUUUUUU, can have it! :laugh2:

I was fine, as long as it was moving forward. It was the 10,000 feet up, just floating there, in front of a spectacular waterfall dropping several hundred feet, or a eucalyptus rain forest...and I was certain I would have my First experience with a barf bag... thank goodness it didn;t happen, it was tight quarters! I definately went thru confession and became closer with my Maker that day!!!! lol

nevadamedic
07-31-2007, 03:32 PM

If she get's her intuition from you she is in real trouble! :laugh2: