PDA

View Full Version : My report card

jimnyc
11-29-2016, 09:30 PM
Ok, not mine, but my kiddo's. Not a bad start for his 11th grade, and all AP college level classes or whatever all that stuff means. I'm actually very impressed, and very proud as a dad!!

http://i.imgur.com/7MCPMaV.jpg

Kathianne
11-29-2016, 09:49 PM
You should be very proud! Great report!

hjmick
11-29-2016, 10:04 PM
So he got his momma's brains...

Balu
11-29-2016, 10:08 PM
Ok, not mine, but my kiddo's. Not a bad start for his 11th grade, and all AP college level classes or whatever all that stuff means. I'm actually very impressed, and very proud as a dad!!

http://i.imgur.com/7MCPMaV.jpg

My congratulations to you! http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/friends.gif

jimnyc
11-29-2016, 10:11 PM
You should be very proud! Great report!

Thanks!!

Not nice fucker!! But yeah. :)

My congratulations to you! http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/friends.gif

Thanks, Balu!

Abbey Marie
11-29-2016, 11:15 PM
Very impressive! It is not easy to take that many AP classes at the same time.
:beer:

gabosaurus
11-29-2016, 11:48 PM
Awesome grade report!! You and the wife have obviously done quite well as parents. In the current time filled with distractions, it is much more difficult to get kids to study and fulfill their educational obligations.
Congrats to your son! :beer:

SassyLady
11-30-2016, 02:20 AM
HOORAY!

I remember heaving a big sigh each quarter when those types of grades showed up ... well done Jim.

Kathianne
11-30-2016, 06:37 AM
Awesome grade report!! You and the wife have obviously done quite well as parents. In the current time filled with distractions, it is much more difficult to get kids to study and fulfill their educational obligations.
Congrats to your son! :beer:

Nice on the congrats! However, the 'current times' seems to be a built in excuse for not excelling. There have always been 'distractions.' It's the job of parents to make sure the distractions aren't preventing success. Too many electronics? Control the amount of time allowed. Too many activities? Again, parents should have the ultimate control.

OTOH, it's also the parents who know by high school that the average kid can't have a life and be in bed by 10pm when taking a challenging load. Jr year seems to be the 'overload' year, I remember one of my sons also taking 4 AP courses and there were nights he probably didn't get 2 or 3 hours sleep and I was dragging him up at 5 to make his strength training classes. He'd get home at 7 and start all over again. During the day he saw his buddies, know they were texting and im'ing through the homework. It was also an adjustment for both of us to realize that a B was fine in some classes. Choices had to be made.

It's tough on all, but will say that the kid did have a bit over 1 year of college credits before he started university.

CSM
11-30-2016, 06:52 AM
What the heck does "P" stand for? Participation?

Kathianne
11-30-2016, 07:05 AM
What the heck does "P" stand for? Participation?

I don't know about that particular school, but will say that 'elective' courses allowed so many to be taken 'pass/fail' for credit. If passed at C or higher; lower would be 'fail.' Allowed for taking classes for credit, without pressure to go for A or B. AP courses are 'weighted,' thus on Jim's son's report card, he's already over a 4 point on 4 point scale. At my kids high school there was a limit of 2 courses P/F each semester and they couldn't be 'required courses.'

Gunny
11-30-2016, 08:46 AM

Did you see that video? Better hope he doesn't have his daddy's "looks". :laugh2:

Elessar
11-30-2016, 11:47 AM
That is excellent, Jim!:beer:

He looks to be a pretty busy lad right now.

My boy had the same classload as that for 4 years
with all sorts of AP courses.

My head was spinning when he took Calculus in the 9th grade, wondering
where he got the aptitude. Certainly not from me!:laugh:

Now he is going for his doctorate in Physical Therapy.

jimnyc
11-30-2016, 12:20 PM
Much thanks to everyone!!

I believe the "P" is for pass, like Kath said. Less congrats go to me and more so to the kid who is just smart as hell. I won't claim to be some great parent that sits with him for hours and what not. But I DO make sure things are timely, he does his homework, goes to a good school, gets makeup when out... all the correct things. He took it and is running with it so far. I'm happy, and hopefully it will continue into college. :)

Black Diamond
11-30-2016, 12:55 PM
So the kid is cool and smart

Kathianne
11-30-2016, 04:44 PM
Much thanks to everyone!!

I believe the "P" is for pass, like Kath said. Less congrats go to me and more so to the kid who is just smart as hell. I won't claim to be some great parent that sits with him for hours and what not. But I DO make sure things are timely, he does his homework, goes to a good school, gets makeup when out... all the correct things. He took it and is running with it so far. I'm happy, and hopefully it will continue into college. :)

If the kid is in high school and parents are sitting with him during homework, something is most definitely wrong. LOL! Those days should be over by 4th grade. Kids aren't in AP courses if they don't have some sense of self-discipline.

gabosaurus
11-30-2016, 08:38 PM
[QUOTE=jimnyc;845580I won't claim to be some great parent that sits with him for hours and what not. But I DO make sure things are timely, he does his homework, goes to a good school, gets makeup when out... all the correct things. He took it and is running with it so far. [/QUOTE]

This is basically what parents need to do. You encourage your kids to get things done and do them in the correct manner. Guidance and participation are the majority of the battle.
It's not just about "being smart." I've seen a lot of smart kids underachieve because they are not properly engaged. Parental guidance is essential.