PDA

View Full Version : A great come back.

Sitarro
07-30-2007, 12:06 PM
My sister sent this to me today...... great perspective.

A STUNNING SENIOR MOMENT.

Apparently, a self-important college freshman attending a recent football game took it upon himself to explain to a senior citizen sitting next to him why it was impossible for the older generation to understand his generation.

"You grew up in a different world, actually an almost primitive one" the student said, loud enough for many of those nearby to hear. "The Young people of today grew up with television, jet planes, space travel, man walking on the moon. Our space probes have visited Mars. We have nuclear energy, ships and electric and hydrogen cars, cell phones. Computers with light-speed processing.. and more."

After a brief silence the senior citizen responded as follows: "You're right, son. We didn't have those things when we were young.....so we invented them. Now, you arrogant little shit, what are you doing for the next generation?"

The applause was amazing...........

Hagbard Celine
07-30-2007, 12:09 PM
Heard it before. *yawn*

Monkeybone
07-30-2007, 12:10 PM
lol, reminds me of the time that my Grandpa called my cousin a smart and dumb ass in the same sentence the day after he graduated from college

Sitarro
07-30-2007, 12:21 PM
Heard it before. *yawn*

I guess you have also heard it before that you are exactly like the foolish but arrogant dipshit that man was speaking of........but I bet you're really good at video games and text messaging....... impressive!

Kathianne
07-30-2007, 12:21 PM

Apparently, a self-important college freshman attending a recent football game took it upon himself to explain to a senior citizen sitting next to him why it was impossible for the older generation to understand his generation.

"You grew up in a different world, actually an almost primitive one" the student said, loud enough for many of those nearby to hear. "The Young people of today grew up with television, jet planes, space travel, man walking on the moon. Our space probes have visited Mars. We have nuclear energy, ships and electric and hydrogen cars, cell phones. Computers with light-speed processing.. and more."

After a brief silence the senior citizen responded as follows: "You're right, son. We didn't have those things when we were young.....so we invented them. Now, you arrogant little shit, what are you doing for the next generation?"

Not just a come back, but true!

Hagbard Celine
07-30-2007, 12:33 PM
I guess you have also heard it before that you are exactly like the foolish but arrogant dipshit that man was speaking of........but I bet you're really good at video games and text messaging....... impressive!

Ignorance is a foul perfume Sitarro. It seems to have grown on you though. *shrug*

Monkeybone
07-30-2007, 12:39 PM
i'm good@ txt msgn.........

Spyder Jerusalem
07-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Puh-leez.

This sort of Reader's Digest feel good crap aimed at the nations most decrepit is nothing more than sour grapes.

The fact is that LIFE IS FOR THE YOUNG and the future is their life.

Most people stop being able to change their thought patterns in their fifties or so, which is why older people have so much trouble with the "newfangled" present.

Alvin Toffler wrote a book called "Future Shock" if you would like to know more.

The same thing happened during the industrial revolution, and the same things were said in the 1600s, 1700s, 1800s, and 1900s.

I am nearly half a century old now, and I'm beginning to feel the first tinglings of that cultural divide that people call the "generation gap".
No good music on the radio, all the tv shows are oriented to 20 somethings.
Technology is beginning to astound me. (I still think people with talking on the phone with bluetooth earpieces look like skid row schitzophrenics mumbling to themselves)

I'm sure that when I'm as old as my granddad was when he died, I'll be marvelling over the "present" just like he did about that new "space shuttle" contraption.

Dilloduck
07-30-2007, 12:56 PM
Puh-leez.

This sort of Reader's Digest feel good crap aimed at the nations most decrepit is nothing more than sour grapes.

Most people stop being able to change their thought patterns in their fifties or so, which is why older people have so much trouble with the "newfangled" present.

Alvin Toffler wrote a book called "Future Shock" if you would like to know more.

The same thing happened during the industrial revolution, and the same things were said in the 1600s, 1700s, 1800s, and 1900s.

I am nearly half a century old now, and I'm beginning to feel the first tinglings of that cultural divide that people call the "generation gap".
Technology is beginning to astound me. (I still think people with talking on the phone with bluetooth earpieces look like skid row schitzophrenics mumbling to themselves)

I'm sure that when I'm as old as my granddad was when he died, I'll be marvelling over the "present" just like he did about that new "space shuttle" contraption.

It was aimed at youth---not the "decrepit" unless you feel them to be one in the same.

dan
07-30-2007, 12:56 PM

Try feeling like that at 24. I hate 90% of pop culture geared toward my demographic.

Spyder Jerusalem
07-30-2007, 01:02 PM
It was aimed at youth---not the "decrepit" unless you feel them to be one in the same.

"Aimed at" as in "written for the benefit of or to instill good feelings to", numbskull.

This story is nothin' but a bit of ego-stroking for those walkin' fossils who feel bad about bein' so fuckin societally disconnected because of cultural and technological advance.

Its not cute, its not cuddly, its just sad.

Spyder Jerusalem
07-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Try feeling like that at 24. I hate 90% of pop culture geared toward my demographic.

I know what ya mean.
I had a bit of that early on, too.
But, I was in an industry that promoted a rapport with, and understanding of, pop culture.
It helped to keep me at least a little in phase.

Pale Rider
07-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Puh-leez.

Who the fuck is this new little turd? Sounds like he needs his smartass little cake hole slapped up by someone over fifty.

KarlMarx
07-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Who the fuck is this new little turd? Sounds like he needs his smartass little cake hole slapped up by someone over fifty.
I was going to say he should try raising a family, holding a job and paying off a mortgage ....

let's see if that changes his perspective on things...

apparently, it hasn't

Hagbard Celine
07-30-2007, 01:25 PM

The over 50s are supposed to be the baby boomers. The generation that gave us woodstock; make love, not war; and tye-dyed shirts. How'd we end up getting all the squares from that generation on this one website? Seriously, someone ought to do a study on this stuff. :dance:

Pale Rider
07-30-2007, 01:46 PM
The over 50s are supposed to be the baby boomers. The generation that gave us woodstock; make love, not war; and tye-dyed shirts. How'd we end up getting all the squares from that generation on this one website? Seriously, someone ought to do a study on this stuff. :dance:

There's a difference between old hippies and people that were raised by respectable, responsible parents, and there's a hell of a lot more of the later.

Sitarro
07-30-2007, 02:12 PM
I know what ya mean.
I had a bit of that early on, too.
But, I was in an industry that promoted a rapport with, and understanding of, pop culture.
It helped to keep me at least a little in phase.

Pop culture? Somewhat of an oxymoron don't you think. Are you going to try to sell that pop culture it is an advancement? Certainly you can't mean that. Rap is an advancement of music? Yea right.:laugh2:
Wearing your hat backwards and then sideways is an advancement? Going back to typing on a portable typewriter(texting) is an advancement?

I really don't see the advancement that you are speaking of......at least from the generation that now feels so superior(see Hagbard). These kids actually think it's special to drink beer until you pass out. And even with all of the studies and the proof, this latest generation is still drinking and lighting up cigarettes like previous generations(see Hagbards old avatar).

Steve Jobs and Bill Gates are both over 50 and is responsible for the direction the computer has taken for the last 30 years. Frank Lloyd Wright produced his best work between his 60s and 80s. Ansel Adams was 40 before he really started producing his best work. Picasso's most well known work was done in his late sixties thru eighties.

You, in a lame attempt to be "hip", miss the fact that much that is happening in today's culture is lousy pop music, ridiculous cheating in sports, advancements in agendas that have 0 positive influence on society(NAACP, LA RAZA, NAMBLA, ACLU, etc.), more gay crap, ignorance pretending to be learned theory(Al Gore and his climate bullshit, the antiwar bowel movement, etc.), teenagers that expect a free ride and a new car for graduating from high school, ugly and cheap looking changes to cars that don't do a thing for it's performance but in fact ruins it......etc.etc.

Kathianne
07-30-2007, 02:36 PM

I'm a baby boomer, smack in the middle: too young for Woodstock, too old to not have been aware of Vietnam. I like some of today's music. I have a lot of faith in the young today. I don't have a problem with the 'Goths' of a few years ago or the more preppie look of today.

I also haven't a problem recognizing what the generations before mine accomplished, whether it be the WWII or Revolutionary fighters. I also think the late 19th-early 20th C American inventors did a hell of a lot for us.

I don't think I'm 'square', just grateful for being educated, (not necessary to have the 'degrees' to be so either.)

theHawk
07-30-2007, 03:07 PM

He's the newest liberal caricature, literally.

07-30-2007, 03:26 PM

That was a Reagan statement. When he was governor of California the youth burst into his office and made that claim and that was his response.

Pale Rider
07-30-2007, 03:33 PM
He's the newest liberal caricature, literally.

Lovely... so the board has a new pool toy.

Abbey Marie
07-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Puh-leez.

Tsk tsk. Such ageism.

Dilloduck
07-30-2007, 03:59 PM
Lovely... so the board has a new pool toy.

fun huh---and I swear he's smokin' a crayon.

Pale Rider
07-30-2007, 04:46 PM

Definitely in orbit of some planet... his head isn't here. They're a danger to themselves as well as our country.

PostmodernProphet
07-30-2007, 05:10 PM

my word, Spydie....you sure have aged in the past few months.....must be all that heavy posting.....173 posts in two days?....such a busy lad.....:poke:

Spyder Jerusalem
07-30-2007, 07:28 PM
my word, Spydie....you sure have aged in the past few months.....must be all that heavy posting.....173 posts in two days?....such a busy lad.....:poke:

Stalkin' me again, punk?

PostmodernProphet
07-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Stalkin' me again, punk?

lol, what a particularly meritless thing to say....no, somebody linked this board at P&CA.....I saw they had a Religion/Ethics section, and you know I love to debate religion and ethics.....finding you here was a bonus....

nevadamedic
07-30-2007, 08:18 PM
lol, what a particularly meritless thing to say....no, somebody linked this board at P&CA.....I saw they had a Religion/Ethics section, and you know I love to debate religion and ethics.....finding you here was a bonus....

I like you already.:laugh2::salute:

Spyder Jerusalem
07-30-2007, 09:10 PM
and you know I love to debate religion and ethics...

You mean you've finally learned how?

I find that hard ta believe.

Spyder Jerusalem
07-30-2007, 09:11 PM
I like you already.:laugh2::salute:

I'm not surprised.

Idiots of a feather....

Dilloduck
07-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Stalkin' me again, punk?

It's the crayon--I bet he wants the crayon!

Spyder Jerusalem
07-30-2007, 09:20 PM
You quack me up, Duck.

Dilloduck
07-30-2007, 09:22 PM
You quack me up, Duck.

You're funny too Spidey

PostmodernProphet
07-30-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm not surprised.

Idiots of a feather....

tar and feather, together....

Dilloduck
07-30-2007, 09:35 PM
tar and feather, together....

through all types of weather --

Spyder Jerusalem
07-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Then they dress up in leather....

Spyder Jerusalem
07-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Postmodern wears a leash for a tether....

Spyder Jerusalem
07-30-2007, 09:39 PM
And gets ass-raped whenever....

Dilloduck
07-30-2007, 09:39 PM
Then they dress up in leather....

Excellent-----rep for you, ya old poet !!

PostmodernProphet
07-30-2007, 09:40 PM
And gets ass-raped whenever....

you have to forgive Spyder...whenever he is at a loss for something intelligent to say, he resorts to sexual insults.....it happens frequently......

Dilloduck
07-30-2007, 09:45 PM
you have to forgive Spyder...whenever he is at a loss for something intelligent to say, he resorts to sexual insults.....it happens frequently......

He is trainable however---he did excellent in the poem game and allowed his inner passion to show through. It's a baby step but a step never-the-less.
Give him a hand everyone !!:clap::clap:

Spyder Jerusalem
07-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Oh, so you consider it an insult now to refer to you as as "the walkin' ass-vagina"?

That's news to me.

Werent you the one complainin that yer rectum had distended so far it slapped yer knees when you walked?

I'll try not to bring it up again if it bothers ya so, ol' buddy.

I'm nothin' if not compassionate.

Mr. P
07-30-2007, 10:34 PM
Postmodern wears a leash for a tether....

I suspect you two share that tether.

PostmodernProphet
07-30-2007, 10:47 PM
I'm nothin' if not compassionate.

I love it when he admits he's nothing....

PostmodernProphet
07-30-2007, 10:47 PM
I suspect you two share that tether.

It's true, but Spyder get's confused about who wears it and who holds it......

Spyder Jerusalem
07-30-2007, 10:51 PM
Tsk tsk. Such ageism.

Not ageism.

Just a realization that, as someone ages, they grow farther and farther removed from the zeitgeist.
It's inevitable.

You can, however, fight against it.
That's not an effort to "be hip".
Just an acknowledgement of the fact that, though everyone has their salad days, they don't last.
Then the next generation get it.
And the next.
And the next.

Its the nature of that beast we call "culture".

Now, you can say that this is some kind of a degradation of civilization, just as the Victorians did, and the New Americans, and the Doomsayers of 1900, and all the rest through the 20th century.

But the fact remains.

Change, on the whole, is good.
And our world, our culture, though it may seem to those of us in the older generation to be decaying, is really just in the same state of flux and metamorphosis it has always been.

Those who "hate" it or naysay it are called neophobes, and they have, throughout mankinds history, been the greatest hindrance to the advance of civilization.

I, for one, relish it.

82Marine89
07-30-2007, 10:54 PM

I figured him for a pole smoker.

Pale Rider
07-30-2007, 11:39 PM
Not ageism.

Just a realization that, as someone ages, they grow farther and farther removed from the zeitgeist.
It's inevitable.

You can, however, fight against it.
That's not an effort to "be hip".
Just an acknowledgement of the fact that, though everyone has their salad days, they don't last.
Then the next generation get it.
And the next.
And the next.

Its the nature of that beast we call "culture".

Now, you can say that this is some kind of a degradation of civilization, just as the Victorians did, and the New Americans, and the Doomsayers of 1900, and all the rest through the 20th century.

But the fact remains.

Change, on the whole, is good.
And our world, our culture, though it may seem to those of us in the older generation to be decaying, is really just in the same state of flux and metamorphosis it has always been.

Those who "hate" it or naysay it are called neophobes, and they have, throughout mankinds history, been the greatest hindrance to the advance of civilization.

I, for one, relish it.

However insightful you may think that was, you have no sight of the end, and what the reason for it will be. You speak of a very slight segment of time.

America WILL falter, and the reason for it just may be people that have embraced too much change, and shared too much apathy to do anything about it.

Thus why they call me a conservative. "To conserve." To keep things as they are. I at least have the ability to recognize a good thing when I see it. America has been a good thing, but it's not headed in the right direction. That's for certain. The more this country ignores it's past and embraces mulitculturalism, the further it will move away from what it was. So far that at some point, it will fall apart. There won't be any more adhesion to hold it together. That adhesion being the people that made America what it was, all as Americans. Not separate factions wanting to live as they did from where they came from, instead of assimilating as an American. We'll all be either dead or displaced, and America will fall into civil war. Every faction against the other. And whatever is left will be up for the picking of whatever other super power there is in the world. Probably China.

Spyder Jerusalem
07-31-2007, 12:29 AM
To keep things as they are.

Impossible.
That's why you are doomed to fail.
And why, ultimately, your ideals hurt America.

The more this country ignores it's past and embraces mulitculturalism, the further it will move away from what it was.

I'm sure the True Blue Americans said the same things when they threw rocks at Irish immigrants fresh off the boat in New York.

Multiculturalism is what America is based on, and what, ultimately, is her strength.

You are deluded.

Not separate factions wanting to live as they did from where they came from, instead of assimilating as an American.

I guess thats why so many cities have Chinatowns, Little Koreas, Little Italies and other ethnic sections because of all that "assimilation".
Just because you have no ethnic identity, doesn't mean that such things are not a solid part of the American ethic and lifestyle.
Everywho comes to America keeps the Old Country alive somehow once they get here.
That's been true for centuries.

America WILL falter, and the reason for it just may be people that have embraced too much change,

There's no such thing as too much change.

Spyder Jerusalem
07-31-2007, 12:35 AM
We'll all be either dead or displaced, and America will fall into civil war. Every faction against the other. And whatever is left will be up for the picking of whatever other super power there is in the world.

Possibly.

But if so, then wasn't it doomed from the outset?
Wasn't it slated to be?

Alex Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the University of Edinburgh at the time of America's birth, wrote a warning to America in 1787. He observed that the average age of the world's greatest civilizations was about 200 years, during which they inevitably progressed through the following sequence:

from bondage to faith,
from faith to courage,
from courage to liberty,
from liberty to abundance,
from abundance to complacency,
from complacency to apathy,
from apathy to dependence, and
from dependence back to bondage.

So, really, its simply inevitable.

Sitarro
07-31-2007, 01:28 AM
Possibly.

Wasn't it slated to be?

Alex Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the University of Edinburgh at the time of America's birth, wrote a warning to America in 1787. He observed that the average age of the world's greatest civilizations was about 200 years, during which they inevitably progressed through the following sequence:

from bondage to faith,
from faith to courage,
from courage to liberty,

So because a guy named Alex said it 220 years ago it is inevitable..... really..... you ARE an idiot.

07-31-2007, 05:31 AM
So because a guy named Alex said it 220 years ago it is inevitable..... really..... you ARE an idiot.

It's only inevitable if liberals win.

Spyder Jerusalem
07-31-2007, 08:57 AM
A guy named Alex sayin' somethin' GENIUS two hundred years ago, that has proven to be more than accurate is a lot better than somethin' some desert nomads or political dissidents wrote 2000 years ago that has no accuracy at all.

At least Alex was a real person.
"Christ" was not.

It's only inevitable if liberals win.

Its inevitable regardless.

Rome fell, Byzantium collapsed, and Egypttian Dynasties faded into the sands of time.
All civilizations fall, all nations collapse.

Its just a matter of time.

Hagbard Celine
07-31-2007, 09:14 AM
Possibly.

Wasn't it slated to be?

from bondage to faith,
from faith to courage,
from courage to liberty,

This can also be taken as an interpretation of Maslov's hierarchy of needs. In my opinion, we've definately reached either the peak or close to the peak of civilization. Obesity is at all-time highs, the people are fat and complacent so they've allowed the country to devolve into a police state, relinquishing their rights, not because they are too stupid to see that they've been taken away, but because they're so content that they just don't care anymore.

Spyder, you're right about change. Change drives progress and it is the catalyst that drives "culture." But I think we do need to be careful about what kinds of change we allow to permeate our society. If you look at popular culture these days, much of it is prurient garbage. Standards in America have definately degraded--the conservatives are right about that. But instead of doing what they should do, they've embraced something equally as brain dead: Religious conservatism. I see it as a no-win situation. All I can do is hone my own skills, educate myself as well as I can and live my life as well as I can until I can pass the knowledge on to my own kids when I have them.

Pale Rider
07-31-2007, 03:00 PM
Impossible.
That's why you are doomed to fail.
And why, ultimately, your ideals hurt America.
So millions of illegal aliens DEMANDING amnesty, and millions of muslims DEMANDING to be let off work WITH PAY to pray and wash their feet, that have NO PLANS TO ASSIMILATE, is GOOD for America?

Just how would that be?

I'm sure the True Blue Americans said the same things when they threw rocks at Irish immigrants fresh off the boat in New York.

Multiculturalism is what America is based on, and what, ultimately, is her strength.

You are deluded.

I guess thats why so many cities have Chinatowns, Little Koreas, Little Italies and other ethnic sections because of all that "assimilation".
Just because you have no ethnic identity, doesn't mean that such things are not a solid part of the American ethic and lifestyle.
Everywho comes to America keeps the Old Country alive somehow once they get here.
That's been true for centuries.

And 99.9% of those people are proud "LEGAL" Americans and they speak English.

There's no such thing as too much change.
One of the more ignorant statements I've ever read.

Should we cut down all our forests? Should we polute all the earths water? Should we make Canada, America, and Mexico the North Atlantic Union like bush and his cronie globalists are trying to do? Those are all "change."

"There's no such thing as too much change." Shut the fuck up you ignorant mistake of humanity.

nevadamedic
07-31-2007, 03:13 PM

He is either a Troll looking to start shit with everyone or he is trying to kill threads with his utter bullshit.