PDA

View Full Version : Trump needs to cut Pentagon spending

gabosaurus
12-07-2016, 11:26 AM
Once again, the Pentagon has proven to be the most wasteful spending department in the U.S. government.
Not only did they waste $125 billion, but they hid the over spending from Congress.
If Trump truly wants to cut government spending, he needs to cut the Pentagon budget by at least a third. A start would be be to dismiss all the unneeded lobbyists, advisors and hangers on who do nothing but suck up six-figure salaries.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/pentagon-buries-evidence-of-125-billion-in-bureaucratic-waste/2016/12/05/e0668c76-9af6-11e6-a0ed-ab0774c1eaa5_story.html?utm_term=.e3a0ac313cde&wpisrc=al_alert-COMBO-exclusive%252Bnational

The Pentagon has buried an internal study that exposed $125 billion in administrative waste in its business operations amid fears Congress would use the findings as an excuse to slash the defense budget, according to interviews and confidential memos obtained by The Washington Post.

Pentagon leaders had requested the study to help make their enormous back-office bureaucracy more efficient and reinvest any savings in combat power. But after the project documented far more wasteful spending than expected, senior defense officials moved swiftly to kill it by discrediting and suppressing the results.

jimnyc
12-07-2016, 11:42 AM
Once again, the Pentagon has proven to be the most wasteful spending department in the U.S. government.
Not only did they waste $125 billion, but they hid the over spending from Congress.
If Trump truly wants to cut government spending, he needs to cut the Pentagon budget by at least a third. A start would be be to dismiss all the unneeded lobbyists, advisors and hangers on who do nothing but suck up six-figure salaries.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/pentagon-buries-evidence-of-125-billion-in-bureaucratic-waste/2016/12/05/e0668c76-9af6-11e6-a0ed-ab0774c1eaa5_story.html?utm_term=.e3a0ac313cde&wpisrc=al_alert-COMBO-exclusive%252Bnational

Interesting, where were you in the past 8 years saying ""If Obama truly wants to cut..." ???

And I agree on this one, there's a lot that can be cut out at the pentagon, but not 1/3rd, but I also don't work there.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-07-2016, 12:09 PM

I agree, there is waste that needs to be cut. Point is, obama was all for cutting things needed. He was not targeting waste.
He was targeting to weaken our military and thus this nation's power on the world stage.
A very,very dangerous thing to do in this world as it exists now. .-Tyr

Drummond
12-07-2016, 01:01 PM
Let me guess. Gabby's next call will be for more direct cuts to the US's military budget. Yes or no ?

Or perhaps she'll applaud efforts to strengthen it ... ?

Elessar
12-07-2016, 01:32 PM
I agree, there is waste that needs to be cut. Point is, obama was all for cutting things needed. He was not targeting waste.
He was targeting to weaken our military and thus this nation's power on the world stage.
A very,very dangerous thing to do in this world as it exists now. .-Tyr

Cutting the DOD budget is a fool's errand. It has already been tampered with far too
much the past 8 years. Most all of it in favor of liberal hand-out programs.

We cannot, with the present global stage, afford to revert to the 1930's when our forces and equipment
were not at all prepared for defense or rapid response to a crisis.

Yes...of course find the source of the wasted spending, but don't further handcuff our military.

gabosaurus
12-07-2016, 01:40 PM
Interesting, where were you in the past 8 years saying ""If Obama truly wants to cut..." ???

And I agree on this one, there's a lot that can be cut out at the pentagon, but not 1/3rd, but I also don't work there.

I have made multiple threads and posts about cutting military spending. Perhaps you should look them up. :cool:

The Pentagon have overspent and created wasteful projects for decades. Completing work on outdated projects and wasting money on sweetheart deals that only benefit specific areas.
At the same time, the military underpays its front line soldiers and their dependents. Not to mention the understaffed VA and its budget problems.

jimnyc
12-07-2016, 01:46 PM
I have made multiple threads and posts about cutting military spending. Perhaps you should look them up. :cool:

The Pentagon have overspent and created wasteful projects for decades. Completing work on outdated projects and wasting money on sweetheart deals that only benefit specific areas.
At the same time, the military underpays its front line soldiers and their dependents. Not to mention the understaffed VA and its budget problems.

I'm speaking of OBAMA - and how HE should cut the very things you speak of in the pentagon. Post such a thread and I will apologize in the announcements section.

Elessar
12-07-2016, 01:53 PM

Before Obama, we could look forward to a fair COL (Cost of Living) increase annually.
Usually 2 to 4%, which is reasonable, but still small. Under Obama, we have been lucky to get as
much as 1% annually.

Salaries are much better than when I first came in while Carter was in charge. About $250 +/-
every two weeks for a single member.

CSM
12-07-2016, 05:11 PM

Maybe you should contact your Congressional representatives....they are the folks that allocate the funding (not the POTUS) and demand that the military spend money on things they don't ask for nor even want, never mind NEED. Guess where those "sweatheart deals" come form? Congressman Schmuckatelly makes some absurd deal (usually hidden in a spending bill) that requires a widget be made in Lower Slobovia (his constituency) even though it could be made faster and cheaper elsewhere then proclaims how much he has done for those he represents. Guess who sets the pay scale for the military...that's right. It's Congress.....

So I have to ask: With your heroes (libs and Dems) in charge lo these many years past, why haven't THEY done anything about sweatheart deals and military underpayment???

Elessar
12-07-2016, 06:50 PM
Maybe you should contact your Congressional representatives....they are the folks that allocate the funding (not the POTUS) and demand that the military spend money on things they don't ask for nor even want, never mind NEED. Guess where those "sweatheart deals" come form? Congressman Schmuckatelly makes some absurd deal (usually hidden in a spending bill) that requires a widget be made in Lower Slobovia (his constituency) even though it could be made faster and cheaper elsewhere then proclaims how much he has done for those he represents. Guess who sets the pay scale for the military...that's right. It's Congress.....

So I have to ask: With your heroes (libs and Dems) in charge lo these many years past, why haven't THEY done anything about sweatheart deals and military underpayment???

Solid iron nails into a stupid premise! She's never had to live this life we have.

aboutime
12-07-2016, 08:58 PM
Before Obama, we could look forward to a fair COL (Cost of Living) increase annually.
Usually 2 to 4%, which is reasonable, but still small. Under Obama, we have been lucky to get as
much as 1% annually.

Salaries are much better than when I first came in while Carter was in charge. About $250 +/-

Elessar. GOOD NEWS. According to the email I received today from MILITARY.COM. ALL OF US...AS VETERANS CAN EXPECT TO SEE AN INCREASE...AT LAST, OF 2.1 PERCENT for retirement, if Congress sticks with Trump. And, since Obama has to sign it. We will finally see HOW MUCH HE CLAIMS TO LIKE, or ADMIRE THE MILITARY????

gabosaurus
12-07-2016, 09:24 PM

Congress knows no party lines when seeking the bucks. And those bucks come from lobbyists, not from the average enlisted man.
When was the last pay raise vetoed or deferred by Obama? I must have missed that one.

aboutime
12-07-2016, 09:43 PM
Congress knows no party lines when seeking the bucks. And those bucks come from lobbyists, not from the average enlisted man.
When was the last pay raise vetoed or deferred by Obama? I must have missed that one.

gabby. You're getting that hole you are in, even deeper.

You asked....Now read....http://www.defenseone.com/business/2015/10/obama-vetoes-bill-affecting-troop-pay-and-benefits/123047/

Trigg
12-08-2016, 03:13 PM
. Not to mention the understaffed VA and its budget problems.

VA's should, by and large, be closed down in large and mid-sized cities. In most cases they are overstaffed and offer redundant studies that can be offered at any number of other hospitals in the area. They are an albatross.

Our military personnel should be seen at area hospitals. The government could still run rehabilitation clinics and mental heath meetings,but if there are hospitals in the area that offer full medical treatment there should not be a VA. It's a redundant mis-use of government funds.

Elessar
12-08-2016, 04:05 PM

Bucks come from lobbyists? Lobbyists have no influence on the DOD pay scales.
Lobbyists have little if any affect on the DOD personnel management.

fj1200
12-09-2016, 05:29 PM
much as 1% annually.

I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with who the POTUS is.

aboutime
12-09-2016, 07:02 PM
I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with who the POTUS is.

The POTUS has the veto pen. Information:http://militarybenefits.info/2016-military-pay/