PDA

View Full Version : Marine Gen. John Kelly - Homeland Security

jimnyc
12-07-2016, 01:38 PM
Awesome choice!!

-----

Trumps taps retired Marine general John Kelly for DHS

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President-elect Donald Trump has chosen retired Marine Gen. John Kelly, whose last command included oversight of the Guantanamo Bay detention center, to run the Department of Homeland Security, people close to the transition team said Wednesday.

Kelly, who joined the Marine Corps in 1970, retired earlier this year, wrapping up a final, three-year post as head of U.S. Southern Command, which spanned some of the more fractious debate over the Obama administration's ultimately failed pledge to close Guantanamo.

He served three tours in Iraq, and holds the somber distinction of being the most senior military officer to lose a child in combat in Iraq or Afghanistan. His son, Marine 2nd Lt. Robert Kelly was killed in November, 2010, in Helmand Province, Afghanistan.

Highly respected, often outspoken, and known as a fierce, loyal commander, Kelly will take over the nation's newest federal agency, with responsibilities from airport security and terrorism to immigration and the Coast Guard. The department was formed after the Sept. 11 terror attacks in an effort to get the U.S. government better-positioned to prevent and respond to future attacks.

If confirmed by the Senate, Kelly would be the fifth person to lead the department, which is comprised of agencies that protect the president, respond to disasters, enforce immigration laws, protect the nation's coastlines and secure air travel.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trumps-taps-retired-marine-general-john-kelly-dhs-172020337--election.html

Black Diamond
12-07-2016, 01:40 PM
I like that he is going with military brass in key positions.

aboutime
12-07-2016, 02:07 PM
Awesome choice!!

-----

Trumps taps retired Marine general John Kelly for DHS

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President-elect Donald Trump has chosen retired Marine Gen. John Kelly, whose last command included oversight of the Guantanamo Bay detention center, to run the Department of Homeland Security, people close to the transition team said Wednesday.

Kelly, who joined the Marine Corps in 1970, retired earlier this year, wrapping up a final, three-year post as head of U.S. Southern Command, which spanned some of the more fractious debate over the Obama administration's ultimately failed pledge to close Guantanamo.

He served three tours in Iraq, and holds the somber distinction of being the most senior military officer to lose a child in combat in Iraq or Afghanistan. His son, Marine 2nd Lt. Robert Kelly was killed in November, 2010, in Helmand Province, Afghanistan.

Highly respected, often outspoken, and known as a fierce, loyal commander, Kelly will take over the nation's newest federal agency, with responsibilities from airport security and terrorism to immigration and the Coast Guard. The department was formed after the Sept. 11 terror attacks in an effort to get the U.S. government better-positioned to prevent and respond to future attacks.

If confirmed by the Senate, Kelly would be the fifth person to lead the department, which is comprised of agencies that protect the president, respond to disasters, enforce immigration laws, protect the nation's coastlines and secure air travel.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trumps-taps-retired-marine-general-john-kelly-dhs-172020337--election.html

:saluting2::saluting2::saluting2::saluting2::salut ing2::saluting2::saluting2::flyflag::flyflag::flyf lag::flyflag::flyflag::flyflag::smileyflag::smiley flag::smileyflag::smileyflag::smileyflag::smileyfl ag::smileyflag:

Elessar
12-07-2016, 02:25 PM
Good choice, although I would have liked to see retired 4-Star Admiral USCG
Jim Loy pegged or considered. Maybe as a Deputy??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Loy

I was his catcher for the base softball team in Yorktown VA. Great person..
He also has a photographic memory, recognizing me 18 years later when he
was a 3-Star on a visit to Cape May NJ. After the USCGC Cuyahoga incident
in Chesapeake Bay, I rewrote the survival swim program for him that was adopted
by CGHQ. Well, he got a Commendation Medal for that and promotion to full Commander.
I, as an E-2, got a free day of liberty!:laugh:

NightTrain
12-07-2016, 03:08 PM
Good choice, although I would have liked to see retired 4-Star Admiral USCG
Jim Loy pegged or considered. Maybe as a Deputy??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Loy

I was his catcher for the base softball team in Yorktown VA. Great person..
He also has a photographic memory, recognizing me 18 years later when he
was a 3-Star on a visit to Cape May NJ. After the USCGC Cuyahoga incident
in Chesapeake Bay, I rewrote the survival swim program for him that was adopted
by CGHQ. Well, he got a Commendation Medal for that and promotion to full Commander.
I, as an E-2, got a free day of liberty!:laugh:

If he's good enough for you, LSR, he's good enough for me.

On a side note, have you guys all seen the latest moonbat conspiracy? Trump is stacking military advisors so he can take over the country with a military coup!

Is there no end to Trump's evildoing?

Black Diamond
12-07-2016, 03:21 PM

On a side note, have you guys all seen the latest moonbat conspiracy? Trump is stacking military advisors so he can take over the country with a military coup!

I am looking forward to trumps seizure of absolute power. Forget the bushes, kennedys and clintons. This will be a real American dynasty. The trumps will be like he romoanovs and Habsburgs. American Caesars. King Donald will be succeeded by King Donald II.

NightTrain
12-07-2016, 04:02 PM
I am looking forward to trumps seizure of absolute power. Forget the bushes, kennedys and clintons. This will be a real American dynasty. The trumps will be like he romoanovs and Habsburgs. American Caesars. King Donald will be succeeded by King Donald II.

I, for one, welcome our new benevolent Overlord and stand by to assist with the great moonbat purge scheduled for early February. King Trump has decreed that Venezuela will take these new refugees or face the consequences.

Elessar
12-07-2016, 04:45 PM

That in and of itself is complete bullshit and a liberal caucus means to keep crying.

I do not see a bit of a problem to surround himself with PROVEN and qualified leaders.

There is a clear separation between the military and the governing body, as per
our Constitution. If it was otherwise, Obama might have been scooted out on his
heels 7 years ago.

NightTrain
12-07-2016, 04:48 PM
That in and of itself is complete bullshit and a liberal caucus means to keep crying.

There is a clear separation between the military and the governing body, as per
our Constitution. If it was otherwise, Obama might have been scooted out on his
heels 7 years ago.

I know, I know.

We all know that, but I can't help but laugh my ass off on the next moonbat conspiracy. There will be lots more idiocy to amuse us as things get rolling.

Black Diamond
12-07-2016, 04:50 PM
I know, I know.

We all know that, but I can't help but laugh my ass off on the next moonbat conspiracy. There will be lots more idiocy to amuse us as things get rolling.

it's an exciting time.

gabosaurus
12-07-2016, 09:40 PM
Kelly is the best appointment that Trump has made so far.
I was hoping the Homeland Security position would go to someone like General Russel Honore, who took charge of the Gulf Course after Katrina and helped bring New Orleans back to life. But Kelly should be just as good.

Elessar
12-07-2016, 11:00 PM
Kelly is the best appointment that Trump has made so far.
I was hoping the Homeland Security position would go to someone like General Russel Honore, who took charge of the Gulf Course after Katrina and helped bring New Orleans back to life. But Kelly should be just as good.

Wrong....that was USCG Admiral Thad Allen:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thad_Allen

Don't try to preach to folks about what you do not know. Admiral Allen was inserted by GWB when FEMA
director Brown was shown to be totally incompetent.

General Honore had nothing to do with taking charge.

Perhaps after the fact, but not just after the event. The dynamics are different. Admiral Allen still had
control as ISC.

You speak out of your tush again.

The General is a very good man, but was subservient to Admiral Allen in this episode.

And he tasked his troops well.

gabosaurus
12-07-2016, 11:48 PM
I believe you are incorrect. I know exactly what happened during and after Katrina.

On August 31, 2005, Honoré was designated commander of Joint Task Force Katrina responsible for coordinating military relief efforts for Hurricane Katrina-affected areas across the Gulf Coast.
Honoré's arrival in New Orleans came after what was widely believed to be a poor performance by the state and local agencies and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and its director Michael D. Brown. He gained media celebrity and accolades for his apparent turning around of the situation in the city as well as his gruff management style which contrasted with what many felt were the empty platitudes of civilian officials.
In one widely played clip, Honoré was seen on the streets of the city, barking orders to subordinates and, in one case, berating a soldier who displayed a weapon, telling him "We're on a rescue mission damn it!"
New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin was quoted on a radio interview September 1, 2005, saying: "Now, I will tell you this—and I give the president some credit on this—he sent one John Wayne dude down here that can get some stuff done, and his name is Gen. Honoré. And he came off the doggone chopper, and he started cussing and people started moving. And he's getting some stuff done.

NightTrain
12-08-2016, 12:34 AM
I believe you are incorrect. I know exactly what happened during and after Katrina.

Source?

Kathianne
12-08-2016, 12:39 AM
Source?

Pretty sure she got it directly from Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russel_L._Honor%C3%A9

Note at the top:
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. Please help by adding reliable sources. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately, especially if potentially libelous or harmful. (March 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)

gabosaurus
12-08-2016, 11:07 AM
Only quoted Wiki because Elessar had done the same. Here is a better description.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/07/AR2006090700163.html

Honore chews out the news media:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv5m4hTMuWU

Elessar
12-08-2016, 12:25 PM

I know full well who was in charge. Our Commanding Officer went there as the 'Air Boss'.

Admiral Allen was in charge. The General had to answer to Him. The White House did not declare the DOD
to be in charge, but to work under the direction of Incident Command, Admiral Allen.

Martial Law would needed to be declared for an Army General to run the show. It was never declared. The
actions of the National Guard, on the other hand, are allowed because they are a state force. They all came
under one umbrella which has Adm Thad Allen.

Elessar
12-08-2016, 01:08 PM
Only quoted Wiki because Elessar had done the same. Here is a better description.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/07/AR2006090700163.html

Honore chews out the news media:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv5m4hTMuWU

Hell...that was Admiral Allen standing behind him. All the respect for Gen Honore, because he is/was a
local that people could recognize.

He still had to answer to Allen, and most likely advised him quite a bit. That is how the system works.

aboutime
12-08-2016, 06:04 PM
Duties of The President of the United States\
https://www.jfklibrary.org/~/media/assets/Education%20and%20Public%20Programs/Education/middle%20school%20programs/The%20Presidents%20Job%20According%20to%20the%20Co nstitution.pdf