PDA

View Full Version : There are no words....

CSM
12-09-2016, 06:30 AM
http://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/everybody-should-read-general-john-kellys-speech-about-two-marines-in-the-path-of-a-truck-bomb

Eight years ago, two Marines from two different walks of life who had literally just met were told to stand guard in front of their outpost’s entry-control point.

Minutes later, they were staring down a big blue truck packed with explosives. With this particular shred of hell bearing down on them, they stood their ground.

Heck, they even leaned in.

I had heard the story many times, personally. But until today I had never heard Marine Lt. Gen. John Kelly’s telling of it to a packed house in 2010. Just four days following the death of his own son in combat, Kelly eulogized two other sons in an unforgettable manner.

From Kelly’s speech:

Two years ago when I was the Commander of all U.S. and Iraqi forces, in fact, the 22nd of April 2008, two Marine infantry battalions, 1/9 “The Walking Dead,” and 2/8 were switching out in Ramadi. One battalion in the closing days of their deployment going home very soon, the other just starting its seven-month combat tour.

Read the entire thing. Then go ahead and tell me that some slime ball who deserted his post deserves a pardon.... I dare you!

Gunny
12-09-2016, 07:20 AM
http://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/everybody-should-read-general-john-kellys-speech-about-two-marines-in-the-path-of-a-truck-bomb

Eight years ago, two Marines from two different walks of life who had literally just met were told to stand guard in front of their outpost’s entry-control point.

Minutes later, they were staring down a big blue truck packed with explosives. With this particular shred of hell bearing down on them, they stood their ground.

I had heard the story many times, personally. But until today I had never heard Marine Lt. Gen. John Kelly’s telling of it to a packed house in 2010. Just four days following the death of his own son in combat, Kelly eulogized two other sons in an unforgettable manner.

From Kelly’s speech:

Two years ago when I was the Commander of all U.S. and Iraqi forces, in fact, the 22nd of April 2008, two Marine infantry battalions, 1/9 “The Walking Dead,” and 2/8 were switching out in Ramadi. One battalion in the closing days of their deployment going home very soon, the other just starting its seven-month combat tour.

Read the entire thing. Then go ahead and tell me that some slime ball who deserted his post deserves a pardon.... I dare you!

I knew Gen Kelly's kids, Sergeant Major.

CSM
12-09-2016, 07:28 AM

You are a lucky man, Gunny.

Gunny
12-09-2016, 08:04 AM

you are right. I have no idea what to say.

CSM
12-09-2016, 08:07 AM

Yep. I simply do not understand the mindset that advocates any kind of pardon (or even sympathy) for a deserter or traitor. I just don't get it.

Elessar
12-09-2016, 02:45 PM

From Kelly’s speech:

Yep. I simply do not understand the mindset that advocates any kind of pardon (or even sympathy) for a deserter or traitor. I just don't get it.

Solemnity, Reverence, and Honor are the best words for this, Gentlemen.:salute:

jimnyc
12-09-2016, 03:03 PM
Wow. I'm glad they got the medals and recognition that they deserved so much. And I'm glad that the general took the time to investigate himself and ensure they got those medals. Special folks.