PDA

View Full Version : Protesting Ban On Confederate Flag Clothing

jimnyc
12-13-2016, 03:01 PM
Look, they removed flags from government buildings. While I didn't want it to happen, for historical reasons in those states, I can see why they decided such. But I don't think they should go farther and ban shirts or other things with the flag on it. Nor things with other flags that may piss some off. Similar to now, and some incorrectly seeing racists in EVERYONE who would identify with the alt-right. Not everything about the confederate was racist, not every veteran of that era was racist, not every action racist. And folks lost family members no matter how you slice it. If folks see racism in it at ALL times anyway, that's their issue to deal with. If folks see a shirt or whatever with a flag on it, and literally can't deal with it and make it through the day - I honestly think they should sit down with a therapist.

And simply wearing a shirt is now going to have some compare it to the old yelling fire in a movie theater? That's funny, but of course wrong. Maybe give them a safe space instead.

-----

Students Are Protesting a Ban On Confederate Flag Clothing

Students at a high school in Plum, Penn., are protesting a ban on apparel featuring the Confederate flag. The prohibition was recently put in place after a 16-year-old African-American student complained that a peer was wearing a hoodie bearing the battle insignia.

The student was initially reprimanded for wearing the clothing — but was then allowed to wear it later in the day.

Robert Williams, the father of the student who made the complaint about the hoodie, told CBS Pittsburgh, “My daughter shouldn’t have to endure or be subjected to hatred, bigotry, or any kind of racial animus.” He continued, “First Amendment rights aren’t absolute. I can’t run around and go into a movie theater and yell ‘fire.’”

“To wear the Confederate flag in a classroom environment, in a school environment, it was very disruptive and upsetting to my child,” the disgruntled father said.

At the time of the complaint, Plum Borough School District Superintendent Dr. Timothy Glasspool informed news outlet KDKA that the Plum school district cannot discipline students speech without “a substantial disruption.”

A ban was placed on the clothing after three more students wore the apparel to class the day after the reported incident — two of which were sent home after refusing to take off the Confederate flag items.

“As an educational institution we view this as a learning opportunity for our children and encourage all families to discuss how these symbols can cause fear or anxiety in others,” Glasspool wrote in a statement. “The practice of ethnic, religious, racial or gender-charged symbols that profess hatred, bigotry, or oppression has no place in any learning institution and will not be tolerated in Plum schools.”

Noah Leech was one of the students dismissed from school. “They basically told me I have to go home and there is a possibility I may be expelled for wearing my hoodie to school,” he told NEWS10. When asked why he felt so strongly for the hoodie and values attached to it, Leech described that he has worn the jacket to school many times before without issue and doesn’t see the problem. “Our bloodline comes from West Virginia,” he said. “They were helping move slaves from the South into the North under the Confederate flag so that’s what I stand for.”

Two freshman female students so strongly disapproved of the prohibition that they formed a protest in front of the high school and held up Confederate flags before classes started.

Kelsey Evans, one of the students, shared why she felt inclined to protest the ban. “I’m sitting out here today because I’m fighting for my rights to wear this Confederate flag to school because it should be allowed. It’s not racist. It doesn’t mean slavery. It’s just simply a Southern flag.” She added, “I’m fighting for what I believe in because so many people think it’s racist but it’s not.”

Rest here - https://www.yahoo.com/style/students-are-protesting-a-ban-on-confederate-flag-clothing-185731948.html

Kathianne
12-13-2016, 03:12 PM
Look, they removed flags from government buildings. While I didn't want it to happen, for historical reasons in those states, I can see why they decided such. But I don't think they should go farther and ban shirts or other things with the flag on it. Nor things with other flags that may piss some off. Similar to now, and some incorrectly seeing racists in EVERYONE who would identify with the alt-right. Not everything about the confederate was racist, not every veteran of that era was racist, not every action racist. And folks lost family members no matter how you slice it. If folks see racism in it at ALL times anyway, that's their issue to deal with. If folks see a shirt or whatever with a flag on it, and literally can't deal with it and make it through the day - I honestly think they should sit down with a therapist.

And simply wearing a shirt is now going to have some compare it to the old yelling fire in a movie theater? That's funny, but of course wrong. Maybe give them a safe space instead.

-----

Students Are Protesting a Ban On Confederate Flag Clothing

Students at a high school in Plum, Penn., are protesting a ban on apparel featuring the Confederate flag. The prohibition was recently put in place after a 16-year-old African-American student complained that a peer was wearing a hoodie bearing the battle insignia.

The student was initially reprimanded for wearing the clothing — but was then allowed to wear it later in the day.

Robert Williams, the father of the student who made the complaint about the hoodie, told CBS Pittsburgh, “My daughter shouldn’t have to endure or be subjected to hatred, bigotry, or any kind of racial animus.” He continued, “First Amendment rights aren’t absolute. I can’t run around and go into a movie theater and yell ‘fire.’”

“To wear the Confederate flag in a classroom environment, in a school environment, it was very disruptive and upsetting to my child,” the disgruntled father said.

At the time of the complaint, Plum Borough School District Superintendent Dr. Timothy Glasspool informed news outlet KDKA that the Plum school district cannot discipline students speech without “a substantial disruption.”

A ban was placed on the clothing after three more students wore the apparel to class the day after the reported incident — two of which were sent home after refusing to take off the Confederate flag items.

“As an educational institution we view this as a learning opportunity for our children and encourage all families to discuss how these symbols can cause fear or anxiety in others,” Glasspool wrote in a statement. “The practice of ethnic, religious, racial or gender-charged symbols that profess hatred, bigotry, or oppression has no place in any learning institution and will not be tolerated in Plum schools.”

Noah Leech was one of the students dismissed from school. “They basically told me I have to go home and there is a possibility I may be expelled for wearing my hoodie to school,” he told NEWS10. When asked why he felt so strongly for the hoodie and values attached to it, Leech described that he has worn the jacket to school many times before without issue and doesn’t see the problem. “Our bloodline comes from West Virginia,” he said. “They were helping move slaves from the South into the North under the Confederate flag so that’s what I stand for.”

Two freshman female students so strongly disapproved of the prohibition that they formed a protest in front of the high school and held up Confederate flags before classes started.

Kelsey Evans, one of the students, shared why she felt inclined to protest the ban. “I’m sitting out here today because I’m fighting for my rights to wear this Confederate flag to school because it should be allowed. It’s not racist. It doesn’t mean slavery. It’s just simply a Southern flag.” She added, “I’m fighting for what I believe in because so many people think it’s racist but it’s not.”

Rest here - https://www.yahoo.com/style/students-are-protesting-a-ban-on-confederate-flag-clothing-185731948.html

Schools have wide latitude in what students can wear or not, many if not most schools codify such in dress codes. The most common way to limit the problems above is to ban any text or illustrations on any clothing.

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/clothing-dress-codes-uniforms

jimnyc
12-13-2016, 03:18 PM
Schools have wide latitude in what students can wear or not, many if not most schools codify such in dress codes. The most common way to limit the problems above is to ban any text or illustrations on any clothing.

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/clothing-dress-codes-uniforms

I always liked the way the catholic schools go about it with the uniforms. :)

But yes, I have no issue at all, for example, if a note went out prior to the school year telling them that no shirts/sweatshirts with print of any kind on them will be acceptable, and they will be sent home at first if they don't comply, then punishment if they continue. Or in other words - not singling out one thing because someone else felt insulted. We saw it with one school and the American flag if you remember!!

I think if they did similar here. and sent out a generic message, and didn't go after the flag, it may turn out differently.

But I'm certainly not arguing that schools don't have the right to do so. You lose all kinds of freedoms the moment you enter that front door. Dirty bastards!!

Kathianne
12-13-2016, 03:27 PM

But yes, I have no issue at all, for example, if a note went out prior to the school year telling them that no shirts/sweatshirts with print of any kind on them will be acceptable, and they will be sent home at first if they don't comply, then punishment if they continue. Or in other words - not singling out one thing because someone else felt insulted. We saw it with one school and the American flag if you remember!!

I think if they did similar here. and sent out a generic message, and didn't go after the flag, it may turn out differently.

But I'm certainly not arguing that schools don't have the right to do so. You lose all kinds of freedoms the moment you enter that front door. Dirty bastards!!

Just good training for real life. At most places of business, not a good idea to show up in t-shirt at all, much less one that is popping off opinions on subjects that not everyone is in agreement with-which encompasses most topics.

Wear your opinion shirts, hats or burn your flag of choice on your own time and at your own risk. Bottom line is that schools, regardless of their student body make up are there to teach 'all' their students. Businesses are there to serve 'all their customers that can pay' regardless of any opinions they may hold.

jimnyc
12-13-2016, 03:31 PM
Just good training for real life. At most places of business, not a good idea to show up in t-shirt at all, much less one that is popping off opinions on subjects that not everyone is in agreement with-which encompasses most topics.

Wear your opinion shirts, hats or burn your flag of choice on your own time and at your own risk. Bottom line is that schools, regardless of their student body make up are there to teach 'all' their students. Businesses are there to serve 'all their customers that can pay' regardless of any opinions they may hold.

All I remember kids wearing in HS was rock n roll stuff, nothing more. The BIG thing back then was having a cool denim jacket, and then even cooler if you had a huge patch on the back of your favorite band. I had neither.

Kathianne
12-13-2016, 03:40 PM
All I remember kids wearing in HS was rock n roll stuff, nothing more. The BIG thing back then was having a cool denim jacket, and then even cooler if you had a huge patch on the back of your favorite band. I had neither.

I don't know about your son's school, but I know that when I was teaching, they would have 'fundraisers,' most often on Fridays, when kids could wear something not normally allowed, like 'pj day' or 'backwards day' or 'band favs' day. In order to wear, they'd have to donate $1 or more to whatever the cause of the day was.

ALWAYS there were limitations stated for participation-especially in high schools. No 'revealing' pj, ect. LOL! It's funny that you mentioned 'bands' as that was actually the one that would most often result in having to 'change' or wear inside out. The disclaimer of acceptable always caused problems, 'bands that have sexist/racist/violent messages are prohibited'. Eyes of the beholder. Since the majority of administrators were over 40, more like over 50, they weren't necessarily able to identify such bands-so it became, "I know it when I see it." Thus, bands were pretty much taken off the list for special days. ;)

Black Diamond
12-13-2016, 03:46 PM
School uniforms. End of story.

gabosaurus
12-13-2016, 05:39 PM
School uniforms. End of story.

This is why I like England. My best friend's kids go to a school that has a very specific uniform, including which socks and shoes to wear. They even tell you how to wear it.

The district I work in prohibits shirts with any printing on it (excluding school related shirts). Students are also prohibited from wearing red or blue, since those are gang colors. No unusual hair colors. No hats. No visible tattoos. No piercings except for ears.

global2016
12-13-2016, 09:30 PM
yes

aboutime
12-13-2016, 09:54 PM
This is why I like England. My best friend's kids go to a school that has a very specific uniform, including which socks and shoes to wear. They even tell you how to wear it.

The district I work in prohibits shirts with any printing on it (excluding school related shirts). Students are also prohibited from wearing red or blue, since those are gang colors. No unusual hair colors. No hats. No visible tattoos. No piercings except for ears.

gabby. How long before they ban books too?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-14-2016, 06:47 AM

I was kicked out of two high schools for rebelling against being told what I couldnt wear and second time for being told to cut my hair.
Second time,I was 17 years old and told that principal to step from behind that desk and Ill stomp hell out of you. he banned me from the school forever..
I then had to move to another state, Illinois to finish high school, Springfield Southeast High .
Man was it a culture shock for this southern guy up there with all those yankeeeeeeeees.:laugh:
Also, up there with all those pretty gals that wore such short, short skirts..
I've always been a rebel at heart. Have paid dearly in this life for it.
If I want to wear a Confederate flag on a shirt or display one in my yard-not a man alive gonna stop me unless he kills me!

Little lib bastards being offended should be told to grow the ffkk up!
By the way, I teach my son not to be a wild , hell raising kid as I once was.
I explain why, in that he has an entirely different family, world, culture and time to be living with and in...
Yet, I fear that one day, his genes may take over and I have to face teenage A MINI-ME from long ago!...-Tyr

jimnyc
12-14-2016, 10:22 AM
yes

I agree, my new friend. :)