View Full Version : China Steals US Underwater Drone

Kathianne
12-16-2016, 01:28 PM
aggression.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/16/politics/chinese-warship-underwater-drone-stolen/

US Defense official: Chinese warship stole US underwater drone
By Barbara Starr, CNN Pentagon Correspondent
Updated 12:11 PM ET, Fri December 16, 2016

(CNN)A US oceanographic vessel Thursday had its underwater drone stolen by a Chinese warship literally right in front of the eyes of the American crew, a US defense official told CNN Friday.

In the latest encounter in international waters in the South China Sea region, the USNS Bowditch was sailing about 100 miles off the port at Subic Bay when the incident occurred, according to the official.

Bowditch had stopped in the water to pick up two underwater drones. At that point a Chinese naval ship that had been shadowing the Bowditch put a small boat into the water. That small boat came up alongside and the Chinese crew took one of the drones.

RELATED: China installs weapons on contested islands, report says

The US got no answer from the Chinese on the radio when it said the drone was American property, the official said.

As they turned away, the Chinese did come up on the radio and indicated they were returning to their own operations.

US oceanographic research vessels are often followed in the water under the assumption they are spying. In this case, however, the drone was simply measuring ocean conditions, the official said.

The Pentagon has not officially commented on the incident.

Although it's unclear what the motivation was for the Chinese, the seizing of the drone comes on the heels of other provocative incidents that have happened since President-elect Donald Trump received a congratulatory call with Taiwan's President, a violation of the US's agreement with China's "One China policy". China publicly voiced their disapproval of that incident and contacted the White House at the time.

NightTrain
12-16-2016, 02:03 PM
The Chinese still have a little over a month to disrespect the U.S. military without fear of reprisal... grabbing a U.S. Naval asset SHOULD be unthinkable.

That'll change.

I don't think Mad Dog approves... I'd bet money on it.

jimnyc
12-16-2016, 02:54 PM
The big red headlines at Drudge:

<tt><center>SHOWDOWN: USA DEMANDS CHINA RETURN STOLEN SUB DRONE (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/16/us/politics/us-underwater-drone-china.html)</center>
</tt>

jimnyc
12-16-2016, 02:55 PM
The story:

U.S. Demands Return of Drone Seized by Chinese Warship

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon said on Friday that it had issued a formal protest to Beijing demanding the return of an underwater drone seized by a Chinese warship in the South China Sea, an incident that risked increasing tensions in a region already fraught with great-power rivalries.

A Defense Department official said that the unmanned underwater vehicle was discovered missing on Thursday when the crew of the United States Navy vessel Bowditch tried to retrieve it.

The Bowditch, an oceanographic ship, was operating in international waters and carrying out scientific research, said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe a potentially delicate international incident.

American officials said they were still trying to determine whether the seizure was a low-level action taken by Chinese sailors who spotted the drone or a strategic-level action ordered by more senior Chinese leaders.

Rest here - http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/16/us/politics/us-underwater-drone-china.html

Kathianne
12-16-2016, 02:57 PM
Likely that after China studies it, they'll return it. They did this in the open, they seem determined to showdown over South China Sea.

KarlMarx
12-16-2016, 03:33 PM
I believe that the problem is that China has laid claim to the South China Sea, over the protests of Japan and other countries.

They have created artificial islands complete with military installations in the South China Sea....

So, we send a drone into the area and they pounce... one should not wonder

Like a work colleague from Vietnam told me in the eighties ... "The Chinese think everything from their southern border down to Singapore is theirs and that is what they teach their kids in school"

I think this just proves his point

Kathianne
12-16-2016, 04:28 PM
I believe that the problem is that China has laid claim to the South China Sea, over the protests of Japan and other countries.

They have created artificial islands complete with military installations in the South China Sea....

So, we send a drone into the area and they pounce... one should not wonder

Like a work colleague from Vietnam told me in the eighties ... "The Chinese think everything from their southern border down to Singapore is theirs and that is what they teach their kids in school"

I think this just proves his point

Agreed. China wants a 'One Pacific Control.' The situation is becoming quite dangerous. It's not new, though has become more clear in the past 6 years or so.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-16-2016, 05:27 PM
Agreed. China wants a 'One Pacific Control.' The situation is becoming quite dangerous. It's not new, though has become more clear in the past 6 years or so.

Yes, I have commented on it here at least 4 years back.
About China being our enemy and how they plan on taking back- all the territories they lost.
And doing so when they are much stronger and we are much weaker(the weaker part a goal obama spent his two terms bringing).
Also I mentioned their anti-carrier ballistic missile, designed specifically to target and destroy one nation's carriers--OURS!
And as stated before, they plan on taking the Philippines, WHICH CONCERNS ME AND MY FAMILY AS THAT IS THE NATION MY WIFE CAME FROM..-Tyr

aboutime
12-16-2016, 07:57 PM
Likely that after China studies it, they'll return it. They did this in the open, they seem determined to showdown over South China Sea.

Agreed Kathianne. Remember when China captured a U.S.Navy P-3 many years ago? Then, after they took it apart to study, returned it?
http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=80826&page=1

China needs the U.S. Dollar, and they depend on US to keep their economy growing. If they keep playing such games. DONALD knows how MONEY TALKS. So..I'm guessing...or better yet...predicting....They better get smart before the 20th of January.
They're not gonna have another OBAMA to laugh at.

Elessar
12-16-2016, 08:11 PM
It's too bad the Navy does not rig those drones with a self destruct mechanism.

That would be a hoot.!

aboutime
12-16-2016, 08:42 PM

That would be a hoot.!

Elessar. But, it wasn't a NAVY drone in the water. It was being streamed by a civilian run NOAH kind of ship, taking readings about the ocean floor (is what I heard).
With Obama going on vacation for Christmas in Hawaii again.
The Chinese will have enough time to learn...there's not secret stuff for them, but they will steal it, copy it, then give it back...by saying...they MADE A MISTAKE, worried about the U.S. trying to spy on their NEW ISLANDS.

Balu
12-16-2016, 09:13 PM
Interesting news.
I wonder, what the USA can really do except pleading to return it back?
Please, don't treat this post as an offensive. I am just wondering.

aboutime
12-16-2016, 09:24 PM
Interesting news.

Balu. Our State Department has filed a request with the International Courts/UN.
Nothing is going to happen....IMO...Until the 20th of January, when our NEW President takes office.

Russ
12-16-2016, 09:31 PM
Interesting news.

I was wondering the same thing, Balu. All I could come up with is this - send a package to Xi Jinping with two things in it: 1) a bottle of 25-year-old MacAllan Scotch, 2) a note saying "Xi, old pal, please send us back that drone"

Elessar
12-16-2016, 11:04 PM
Elessar. But, it wasn't a NAVY drone in the water. It was being streamed by a civilian run NOAH kind of ship, taking readings about the ocean floor (is what I heard).
With Obama going on vacation for Christmas in Hawaii again.
The Chinese will have enough time to learn...there's not secret stuff for them, but they will steal it, copy it, then give it back...by saying...they MADE A MISTAKE, worried about the U.S. trying to spy on their NEW ISLANDS.

A USNS ship is contracted by the Navy, and as such is under control of the Navy.

A NOAA ship belongs to the Department of Commerce for some strange reason

Balu
12-16-2016, 11:20 PM
A USNS ship is contracted by the Navy, and as such is under control of the Navy.

Nothing strange in chartering specialized vessels for military needs as there is a difference between ships and vessels as to their missions to fulfill. An example: hospital ships and patrol ships. The first are vessels. The second - combat ships. http://s19.rimg.info/aee19e2775457d135efdf745e7d94e15.gif (http://smayliki.ru/smilie-1224821991.html)

NightTrain
12-17-2016, 02:23 AM

That would be a hoot.!

I thought about that... wait til they hoisted it aboard the ship and push the button!

"And in other news, a Chinese vessel mysteriously exploded today..."

Balu
12-17-2016, 07:15 AM
I thought about that... wait til they hoisted it aboard the ship and push the button!

"And in other news, a Chinese vessel mysteriously exploded today..."
Did she really explode, or it was reported to explode? There is a great difference with all the further consequences.
Judging by previous cases I don't think that American intelligence may be a reliable source to answer this question. http://s19.rimg.info/aee19e2775457d135efdf745e7d94e15.gif (http://smayliki.ru/smilie-1224821991.html)

aboutime
12-17-2016, 06:03 PM

Elessar. I know. I was really directing the info to civilians who have no idea what the difference is between a Ship of the Line, and a USNS ship.
Either way. The drone was not...IMI...Not a classified drone that needed to self-destruct. Not everything has to be highly classified. Not when almost ANY secret, anyone wants to know...Can be found on GOOGLE. If you know how to ask.:lol: