PDA

View Full Version : Kodiak Bound

NightTrain
12-20-2016, 11:58 AM
I'm taking off for Kodiak today for roughly 4 days... the genius that controls the awarded bids decided to wait til the last possible moment to schedule this for this year.

So, I may be working for Christmas! It's been my experience that being out of town and planning to leave on Christmas Eve hardly ever works out - normal people have planned accordingly and services shut down, as they should, which leaves contractors like me standing around in an empty airport.

That's okay, though, I'll get my honey something a little more special if I don't make it back in time.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!

jimnyc
12-20-2016, 11:59 AM
I'm taking off for Kodiak today for roughly 4 days... the genius that controls the awarded bids decided to wait til the last possible moment to schedule this for this year.

So, I may be working for Christmas! It's been my experience that being out of town and planning to leave on Christmas Eve hardly ever works out - normal people have planned accordingly and services shut down, as they should, which leaves contractors like me standing around in an empty airport.

That's okay, though, I'll get my honey something a little more special if I don't make it back in time.

Hope we see you for Christmas, Rick, but if not - Merry Christmas to you, Sharon and the family!! Stay warm and safe and get back home!

Kathianne
12-20-2016, 12:36 PM

Merry Christmas, in case I don't 'see you' again before!

Abbey Marie
12-20-2016, 03:13 PM
Keep hope alive!

Merry Christmas and stay safe. Your homecoming will be awesome.

Elessar
12-20-2016, 03:20 PM
Be safe and try to stay dry!

NightTrain
12-20-2016, 10:03 PM
Having a couple of drinks at the Salty Dawg in Homer, waiting for the ferry. Going to be a 10 hour boat ride to Kodiak so well lubed is the watchword.

Look up the Salty Dawg on the net, it's too dark to take pics, but a mandatory stop for every tourist to AK.

Elessar
12-20-2016, 10:37 PM
Having a couple of drinks at the Salty Dawg in Homer, waiting for the ferry. Going to be a 10 hour boat ride to Kodiak so well lubed is the watchword.

Look up the Salty Dawg on the net, it's too dark to take pics, but a mandatory stop for every tourist to AK.

I've heard of it from many Kodiak Coasties! :beer:

Kathianne
12-20-2016, 10:48 PM

Can you sleep on the boat? I'm about to fall asleep any minute now! LOL!

NightTrain
12-21-2016, 12:26 AM
Can you sleep on the boat? I'm about to fall asleep any minute now! LOL!

Oh yeah. Staterooms and everything, or you can just grab a bench or chair in the observation lounge and sleep.

I'm told they removed all bars off the ferries! WTF, roger?

Note to self : hit liquor store before next 10 hour ferry trip.

Kathianne
12-21-2016, 12:28 AM
Oh yeah. Staterooms and everything, or you can just grab a bench or chair in the observation lounge and sleep.

You have a good trip, a little prayer that you get home Saturday or very early Sunday. Tell Sharon, Merry Christmas from me when you're back!

Black Diamond
12-21-2016, 12:34 AM

Stay safe. Merry Christmas.

Abbey Marie
12-21-2016, 01:18 AM

That is a whole lot of dollar bills!

NightTrain
12-21-2016, 01:38 AM
That is a whole lot of dollar bills!

Yeah... and I didn't take a picture!

I don't know how many thousands of dollar bills are there, but it's a lot. It would probably buy me a very nice brand new boat.
On the downer side, though, they use Monarch vodka for the drinks.... that stuff is rotgut. But $4.75 for a mixed drink is pretty reasonable, these days... even for rotgut drinks! :beer:

SassyLady
12-22-2016, 03:51 AM
Hope everything works out that you can be home with family on Christmas. Be safe and stay warm ... even if it's vodka induced!

NightTrain
12-23-2016, 11:52 AM
Hotel coffee sucks!!!

That is all.

Kathianne
12-23-2016, 11:53 AM
Hotel coffee sucks!!!

That is all.

:( That's awful!

How's it looking for tomorrow's return?

Abbey Marie
12-23-2016, 02:41 PM
Hotel coffee sucks!!!

That is all.

Lol! I should have known that would be your complaint. Hang in there!

NightTrain
12-24-2016, 12:45 AM
:( That's awful!

How's it looking for tomorrow's return?

Looking like we'll sail from Kodiak to Homer on Christmas Eve at 10 pm... 9 hour boat ride, then 350 miles home. Oh yeah, and there's a nice blizzard scheduled, calling for 12 - 19 inches with 35 mph winds. Good times!

Got the Super Duty loaded down with gear, so we'll be in good shape. Probably get home sometime late Christmas night if all goes well.

jimnyc
12-24-2016, 11:34 AM
Rick, Abbey - and I'm sure other coffee addict reading this!! And I'm still looking for other portable devices, but this seems to have the highest ratings. You got me thinking, as I hit hotels a fairly decent amount, and always have the same issue with the coffee.

While this uses the name espresso, it appears it does coffee too!! They have a few different type of units. This one has great ratings on Amazon.

(as I was getting the link directly from their site is when I noticed they are from France) :( But it's still local from the Amazon stores!!

----

Handpresso Outdoor Espresso Set

-No Co2 cartridges needed so there is no waste and never run of out pressure simple design for dependability and you never run out of pressure and you can take it on a plane
-The Outdoor set is made of thermo-formed extreme vibration attenuation designed to withstand 50psi the set includes everything you need
-Four light weight espresso cups which are great for travel and keep you espresso hot and two handpresso napkins
-Thermal carafe allows you take your espresso anywhere
-Uses ESE sized pods such as starbucks, illy, lavazza, gaggia etc.

Question: Is this unit in the cased set the same unit as called hybrid as a single unit, i.e. will use either an E.S.E. pod or loose coffee?
Answer: Yes, it comes equipped with a basket for loose coffee but the pods work better.
By Lepilemur on December 9, 2013

http://i.imgur.com/ozo9Uc7.png

Another one from them, the "minipresso";

http://i.imgur.com/F71gbi2.png

https://www.amazon.com/Handpresso-HPOUTDOOR-Outdoor-Espresso-Set/dp/B001J0TI3U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1482596801&sr=8-2&keywords=handpresso

From their site about this unit - http://www.handpresso.com/en/espresso-machines/manual-espresso-machines/handpresso-pump-set/

Kathianne
12-24-2016, 11:54 AM
While I don't really have issues with most coffee, burnt being the exception, it seems to me a French Press would be the easiest and least expensive way to go when traveling. Heck, they aren't that expensive, could buy them when you get to your destination. Ok, maybe not Rick, not in Kodiak anyways. ;) He'd have to tote one, heck probably have to bring his own coffee.

Abbey Marie
12-24-2016, 12:05 PM
This is way out of my area of expertise, but it is a cute little bugger.

Btw, I just received this Ninja Coffee Bar from Russ for my birthday. Anyone have one and care to opine?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnGGkmVgOfwfQK_x7IEhb90sjYlvzKu s4iKTshnixhexoEKY8G

Kathianne
12-24-2016, 01:22 PM
This is way out of my area of expertise, but it is a cute little bugger.

Btw, I just received this Ninja Coffee Bar from Russ for my birthday. Anyone have one and care to opine?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnGGkmVgOfwfQK_x7IEhb90sjYlvzKu s4iKTshnixhexoEKY8G

Funny, I was just looking at that today. It's on sale for $99. Tempting.

SassyLady
12-24-2016, 02:06 PM
Hotel coffee sucks!!!

That is all.

LOL! I don't drink coffee so never have that problem.

I will worry about you until you get home. Be safe kiddo!

Abbey Marie
12-24-2016, 07:01 PM
Funny, I was just looking at that today. It's on sale for $99. Tempting.

If it has all those features, that is a good price.

Kathianne
12-24-2016, 09:32 PM
If it has all those features, that is a good price.

I KNOW! Wah! Right at Christmas and 1 day sale. It's close to 1/2 off!

Black Diamond
12-24-2016, 09:48 PM
Any chewing tobacco up there? :)

NightTrain
12-24-2016, 11:25 PM
Just these....

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9566&stc=1

NightTrain
12-25-2016, 01:03 AM
So, we hauled ass on this trip, did an additional job and kicked some serious ass - got everything done and scored some great brownie points with the utility we're working for.

Made it back to the ferry terminal with a couple hours to spare, kicked back in the pickup and relaxed. Check-in time came and went, and still no one showed up. Finally I got out of the truck to look closer at the dark office, and there was a sign taped to the door : Due to bad weather in the Gulf of Alaska, the ferry was cancelled. Next scheduled departure : Dec 26th.

Looks like I'll be having a Kodiak Christmas!

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9567&stc=1

Abbey Marie
12-25-2016, 01:19 AM
Sorry NT! What will you do to pass the time?

Black Diamond
12-25-2016, 01:22 AM

Play with grizzly Cubs.

NightTrain
12-25-2016, 01:39 AM

Well, this Best Western is comfy, with bar & restaurant... got cable and internet with a liquor store 2 blocks away, so I'm in good shape.

Probably explore... There's miles of highway that go a long way out of town, so we can get some good pictures. It's raining like hell now, but hopefully tomorrow will be better. I got a few scenic pics so far to share with you all, in case you're interested, but not nearly enough. The terrain around here is extremely rugged and very picturesque. Haven't seen any bear even though it's pretty warm, like 40 or so - we discussed whether it's a lack of food or temperature that prompts hibernation and just can't decide which is the determining factor. I think it's food, my partner thinks it's temperature.

And that means I'll burn up a few more gigs of Jim's bandwidth! Now that's a win/win!

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9568&stc=1

Black Diamond
12-25-2016, 01:41 AM
Well, this Best Western is comfy, with bar & restaurant... got cable and internet with a liquor store 2 blocks away, so I'm in good shape.

Probably explore... There's miles of highway that go a long way out of town, so we can get some good pictures. It's raining like hell now, but hopefully tomorrow will be better. I got a few scenic pics so far to share with you all, in case you're interested, but not nearly enough. The terrain around here is extremely rugged and very picturesque. Haven't seen any bear even though it's pretty warm, like 40 or so - we discussed whether it's a lack of food or temperature that prompts hibernation and just can't decide which is the determining factor. I think it's food, my partner thinks it's temperature.

And that means I'll burn up a few more gigs of Jim's bandwidth! Now that's a win/win!

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9568&stc=1
How big is the island?

NightTrain
12-25-2016, 01:59 AM
How big is the island?

When I read your question, I thought it would be a very easy task to answer.... but it's not.

It could be 5,363 square miles or 3,595 square miles. It's either the biggest U.S. island or the 2nd biggest, that much is clear. Pretty weird that we don't know for sure how big this land mass is with trillions of dollars worth of satellites and studies.

https://www.adn.com/our-alaska/article/turns-out-kodiak-largest-us-island-depending-viewpoint/2010/08/01/
It's pretty fucking big, from your intrepid reporter here on the ground, though! :salute:

And you can quote me on that.

NightTrain
12-28-2016, 09:36 AM
I made it home last night... better late than never, right? Feels like I was gone a month... there's no place like home.

There was a nasty blizzard up in Turnagain Pass and a couple of moose that almost got wiped out by a truck behind us. And my partner, who was driving, almost rear ended another pickup that was turning off the highway & we took the shoulder past him at about 40 mph. All I saw was a huge set of eyeballs in his window as we blasted by him a few inches away with snow exploding everywhere. Partner was able to recover and get our rig up on the road instead of ending up in the ditch in 4' of snow.

Good times! We both had a cigarette after that incident and a quick lecture ensued about following distances on icy roads.

On Kodiak, we were bored and went for an exploratory drive North of town a couple days ago. The roads were wet & it was raining, but no problems. I was just about to comment about how this could suddenly get nasty by hitting an icy patch with rain on it when that exact thing occurred. We came around a corner and there was suddenly zero traction with another sharp corner coming up complete with a big guard rail. We skidded toward the guard rail as Neil tried desperately to steer, and at the last possible moment the tires caught a tiny ridge of ice about 10" from the rail and bounced us back into the road... it still took a quarter mile before we came to a stop. I got out of the truck and couldn't stand up unless I was holding on to the rig... it was unbelievably slick. We turned around and went back to the hotel.

Looks like we're heading back down there in about 3 weeks. This time, I'm driving.

Kathianne
12-28-2016, 10:18 AM
I made it home last night... better late than never, right? Feels like I was gone a month... there's no place like home.

There was a nasty blizzard up in Turnagain Pass and a couple of moose that almost got wiped out by a truck behind us. And my partner, who was driving, almost rear ended another pickup that was turning off the highway & we took the shoulder past him at about 40 mph. All I saw was a huge set of eyeballs in his window as we blasted by him a few inches away with snow exploding everywhere. Partner was able to recover and get our rig up on the road instead of ending up in the ditch in 4' of snow.

Good times! We both had a cigarette after that incident and a quick lecture ensued about following distances on icy roads.

On Kodiak, we were bored and went for an exploratory drive North of town a couple days ago. The roads were wet & it was raining, but no problems. I was just about to comment about how this could suddenly get nasty by hitting an icy patch with rain on it when that exact thing occurred. We came around a corner and there was suddenly zero traction with another sharp corner coming up complete with a big guard rail. We skidded toward the guard rail as Neil tried desperately to steer, and at the last possible moment the tires caught a tiny ridge of ice about 10" from the rail and bounced us back into the road... it still took a quarter mile before we came to a stop. I got out of the truck and couldn't stand up unless I was holding on to the rig... it was unbelievably slick. We turned around and went back to the hotel.

Looks like we're heading back down there in about 3 weeks. This time, I'm driving.

Oh crap! Indeed drive next time!

I hope you had a very nice belated Christmas and get some sleep! Merry Christmas, Rick, S, and kids!

Abbey Marie
12-28-2016, 11:04 AM
Geez, Rick! I would have had to hold on to the truck from the shaking. That sounded very dangerous. Glad you are home safe and your pretty wife gets to see you.

Merry belated Christmas!

And no more of this:
:popcorn:

NightTrain
12-28-2016, 11:08 AM
Geez, Rick! I would have had o hold on to the truck from the shaking. That sounded very dangerous. Glad you are home safe and your pretty wife gets to see you.

Merry belated Christmas!

And no more of this:
:popcorn:

Thank you!

To be honest, I was damned thankful for that popcorn! And it was old, too... only a little over half of the kernels actually popped, so who knows how long those have been sitting in that damn vending machine.

It actually was pretty funny and we were laughing at our Contractor's Luck out on the road. Especially when I had to bum a quarter from Neil to get my $1.25 bag of Christmas Dinner. :laugh:

Abbey Marie
12-28-2016, 11:11 AM
Thank you!

To be honest, I was damned thankful for that popcorn! And it was old, too... only a little over half of the kernels actually popped, so who knows how long those have been sitting in that damn vending machine.

It actually was pretty funny and we were laughing at our Contractor's Luck out on the road. Especially when I had to bum a quarter from Neil to get my $1.25 bag of Christmas Dinner. :laugh:

Your positive attitude, as always, is inspiring. :thumb:

NightTrain
12-28-2016, 11:14 AM
Oh crap! Indeed drive next time!

I hope you had a very nice belated Christmas and get some sleep! Merry Christmas, Rick, S, and kids!

Thank you!

We did our Christmas exchange last night and it was good.

I brought Sharon back some loot from her favorite book store in Kodiak, Monk's Rock. She squealed with delight, so I made a good choice.

jimnyc
12-28-2016, 11:53 AM
Your better half had posted on FB that you wouldn't be making it home. I felt so bad for the both of you. It's absolutely the same and even more special when you wait to be together to celebrate. :)