PDA

View Full Version : Medical Who Cares?

Gunny
12-20-2016, 02:46 PM
Tyr's thread on is bro got me thinking about something I already thought (good start, huh?) I just thought it would be rude to hijack his thread.

Rant on: you want to hook my ass up to bottles and tubes and shove me into a position in which I can't move then give me a nurse that just doesn't give a damn? Isolate me from my family. Feed me crap that woudn't keep a bird alive.

I spent all my time wanting to go home. If I'm going out? I want to be outside and at home. Screw all your remedies. Go save someone else. .

Elessar
12-20-2016, 03:22 PM
Settle down....do the best you can to take care of yourself!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-20-2016, 04:19 PM

Yep, we kinda like having him around, as he doesnt bull-shat around when he speaks!
Which also is a mark of a- TRUE SOUTHERN MAN..
And always, a to be praised,and admired character trait. At least we Southerners think so!-:salute: -Tyr

Gunny
12-20-2016, 05:50 PM

Think about it. You don't get to take care of yourself once those who decide to keep a warm body alive get a hand in. Zero control. You get poked prodded and stuffed full of drugs. Surrounded by people you don't know who could care less about you. You're a lab rat.

And while I do tend to speak in the first person, it's because I'm always alone. I can't speak for others so the source is limited. I know how I feel. I don't want to be a rat in a cage. All I wanted was out. We always talk quality of life but never think about it. I stared out the window wanting to be free.

In this particular case, Tyr can't even see his brother. What kind of crap is THAT? My daughter was kept from me until she threatened to burn the place down (Daddy's girl :) I think it sucks. Family means a lot around these parts. Some goof who just tossed and turned me and hurt me more than my injuries is NOT in the family list.

aboutime
12-20-2016, 06:22 PM
Speaking from personal experience, and being declared TWICE on the way to a hospital. Sometimes in life. We just have to accept what is handed to us, for the moment. If there are strangers...in a hospital, or in an ambulance who DO CARE what they are doing to keep US around. That's also part of life.
We can complain for the rest of our days, if that makes you feel better. But, in the end.
I'm always so, so happy every morning, when I wake up, and find I'M STILL HERE to enjoy my wife, our son's, and our grandchildren. Everything else is incidental.

Seems to me. Feeling any other way is just Selfishness.

Kathianne
12-20-2016, 07:01 PM
Speaking from personal experience, and being declared TWICE on the way to a hospital. Sometimes in life. We just have to accept what is handed to us, for the moment. If there are strangers...in a hospital, or in an ambulance who DO CARE what they are doing to keep US around. That's also part of life.
We can complain for the rest of our days, if that makes you feel better. But, in the end.
I'm always so, so happy every morning, when I wake up, and find I'M STILL HERE to enjoy my wife, our son's, and our grandchildren. Everything else is incidental.

Seems to me. Feeling any other way is just Selfishness.

I don't know if it's 'selfishness,' but without those 'outsiders' taking care of our old coot, he wouldn't be here to complain today or enjoy those beautiful grandchildren on Christmas.

Tyr's brother had major surgery + yesterday, sounds like a bit of trouble today. My guess is the 'outsiders' are monitoring so closely and the patient is so traumatized, that no visitors was their call for however long. Yes, there comes a point, especially if they think 'the end' maybe near, that family must get in. With that said, there's a time for the docs, a time for the family, and a time to take a pause.

Prayers right now seems the best for Tyr and his family, just like I keep them up for Gunny right now.

Enough preaching for now.

Gunny
12-20-2016, 07:51 PM
I don't know if it's 'selfishness,' but without those 'outsiders' taking care of our old coot, he wouldn't be here to complain today or enjoy those beautiful grandchildren on Christmas.

Tyr's brother had major surgery + yesterday, sounds like a bit of trouble today. My guess is the 'outsiders' are monitoring so closely and the patient is so traumatized, that no visitors was their call for however long. Yes, there comes a point, especially if they think 'the end' maybe near, that family must get in. With that said, there's a time for the docs, a time for the family, and a time to take a pause.

Prayers right now seems the best for Tyr and his family, just like I keep them up for Gunny right now.

Enough preaching for now.

I made another thread in an attempt to avoid Tyr's specific situation and bitch about the situation itself. I by no means am presuming what others should do. I hope the best for Tyr and his family. He knows that.

This one's about the system itself.

Kathianne
12-20-2016, 09:21 PM
I made another thread in an attempt to avoid Tyr's specific situation and bitch about the situation itself. I by no means am presuming what others should do. I hope the best for Tyr and his family. He knows that.

This one's about the system itself.

I know and think that was the right call. I was addressing your point on the system, from someone who's had family in similar situation that you faced and felt Tyr's frustration too.

I understand the feeling of helplessness, at least from one that was on the other side of medical crisis. I can only imagine how scary to be on the patient's end.

It's funny, cause I'm all for non-intervention when hope is not to be found. I'd go like you, home. The issue though is when things can be done, like you, AT, Tyr, Tyr's brother those feelings of helplessness, aloneness, and sheer panic still lead to the other side. I'm pretty sure your skinny butt got into a chair, with or without a cane to write your quite coherent rant. ;) I'd say you still have a bit to contribute before your final fight.

Gunny
12-20-2016, 10:04 PM
I know and think that was the right call. I was addressing your point on the system, from someone who's had family in similar situation that you faced and felt Tyr's frustration too.

I understand the feeling of helplessness, at least from one that was on the other side of medical crisis. I can only imagine how scary to be on the patient's end.

It's funny, cause I'm all for non-intervention when hope is not to be found. I'd go like you, home. The issue though is when things can be done, like you, AT, Tyr, Tyr's brother those feelings of helplessness, aloneness, and sheer panic still lead to the other side. I'm pretty sure your skinny butt got into a chair, with or without a cane to write your quite coherent rant. ;) I'd say you still have a bit to contribute before your final fight.

I had a do not resusitate order that got over-ridden. So bring me back to life. Thanks. Now I can be worthless on my daughter's couch. Who is thinking about who here?

CSM
12-21-2016, 06:39 AM
I had a do not resusitate order that got over-ridden. So bring me back to life. Thanks. Now I can be worthless on my daughter's couch. Who is thinking about who here?

But Gunny...who would hold that couch down if you weren't there?

I have been where you are (feeling worthless). Took a while for me to figure out there are things I can do that are productive and worthwhile. You just have to find your niche. Obviously there are some things I won't be able to do physically anymore (I am guessing mountain climbing, wrestling and ski jumping is out of the question...heh) but I am finding great satisfaction in doing other things. I had to find something I liked to do then figure out how I could use those skills to help others. I know you have the brains and gumption to do many things (notice I did not say talent...jarheads are short on talent but they can be taught!). Heck, 66 years old and I just now decided to learn to play guitar... it's a horrible and agonizing process but it makes my grandkids laugh and a couple of them even want to learn as well. That may not seem like much to most folks but it makes me happy that I can at least inspire and motivate my grandkids.

Hey, if nothing else, you can be the bad example! My daughters-in-law are always telling their kids "If you keep that up you will end up like Grandpa!"

By the way, you make a great curmudgeon too!