PDA

View Full Version : Passing Away

Gunny
12-27-2016, 11:40 PM
Explain. I've watched for years as people post RIP threads for people they don't know. Some celebrity, usually. Why? They're dead. So who is all the crying for? The living. Why do we do that? No, why do we spend an inordinate amount of time over it?

Lot's of celebrities have died this year. Sucks most of them are close to my age. Would y'all get together and have a party when I kick it? Country music, thanks. I promise I won't know a thing.

And I do not consider it a sign of respect to pay homage to someone you wouldn't know if they fell out of the sky.

Black Diamond
12-28-2016, 02:15 AM
Explain. I've watched for years as people post RIP threads for people they don't know. Some celebrity, usually. Why? They're dead. So who is all the crying for? The living. Why do we do that? No, why do we spend an inordinate amount of time over it?

Lot's of celebrities have died this year. Sucks most of them are close to my age. Would y'all get together and have a party when I kick it? Country music, thanks. I promise I won't know a thing.

And I do not consider it a sign of respect to pay homage to someone you wouldn't know if they fell out of the sky.

I had an answer but you don't like psycho babble.

Gunny
12-28-2016, 03:36 AM
I had an answer but you don't like psycho babble.

Babble away. I honestly don't get it. I do assimilate info though,

hjmick
12-28-2016, 07:15 AM
I made my daughter promise not to commemorate my life on the back window of her car...

Black Diamond
12-28-2016, 09:31 AM
I made my daughter promise not to commemorate my life on the back window of her car...

She might put your avatar on the back of her car instead

Black Diamond
12-28-2016, 09:40 AM
Babble away. I honestly don't get it. I do assimilate info though,

What was it like when Elvis died? Or John Lennon?

NightTrain
12-28-2016, 09:49 AM

I never understood that. There's probably a couple hundred vehicles running around Wasilla with a big sticker on the back window with something like "In loving memory of Joe Blow 1954 - 2007".

Are they dedicating the car to that deceased person? The window art? The window itself?

What is it that I should do with that info - honk politely and wave while gesturing to his rear window while I pass him?

NightTrain
12-28-2016, 09:52 AM

You're talking to Gunny here... I'd go with asking about something more substantial like Lincoln's death.

Remember, when Gunny laughs, puffs of dust come out of his mouth. :laugh2:

Was it his girlfriend that said that a while back? Funny shit!

Black Diamond
12-28-2016, 10:21 AM
You're talking to Gunny here... I'd go with asking about something more substantial like Lincoln's death.

Remember, when Gunny laughs, puffs of dust come out of his mouth. :laugh2:

Was it his girlfriend that said that a while back? Funny shit!
I had a long answer that I deleted but will put back up. :).

I was was curious what he saw from others when those two people died. Had to be like this times 1000

Elessar
12-28-2016, 11:21 AM
I have regretted seeing some performers go young, but never for the
life of me have considered making a memorial for them...decal on the
back glass of the truck, for example.

It's not like they lived with me or anything.

Elvis? Never cared for him except some of his ballads.

Lennon? Never cared for his politics. Shame he was shot, though.

jimnyc
12-28-2016, 11:25 AM

I remember both!! Elvis very much, as Mom thought it was the end of the world. And Lennon, I'll never forget that one either, Mom was in the hospital when he died.

Abbey Marie
12-28-2016, 11:26 AM
How do y'all feel about those roadside crosses installed where a loved one died in an accident?

Black Diamond
12-28-2016, 11:30 AM
How do y'all feel about those roadside crosses installed where a loved one died in an accident?
So commonplace I don't even give them a second thought.

Now I did see a family putting one in place and I knew the story of how the kid died. That was tougher somehow.

NightTrain
12-28-2016, 11:33 AM

I think that's a great idea. It serves as a reminder of the very real danger of bad driving.

I made one of those myself and installed it alongside Schrock Road here in Wasilla 20 years ago when my girlfriend rolled her Firebird and died. That was just something I wanted to do for myself, though... not anything for anyone else's benefit. It was just grieving and it helped me, somehow.

Russ
12-28-2016, 11:47 AM

I completely agree. Why do people eulogize and cry about celebrities that they've never met? I hope they are doing at least as much for their friends and family, but I suspect they don't. It is ironic, but the chances are that the friends and family were much better people than the celebrities. (No offense to any celebrities on the board :cool:)

Balu
12-28-2016, 01:08 PM
He is not able to understand that some very lucky people may become a part of the others' lifes. And with their death a part of your life has gone too. It is sad and it is a reason for condolences.
Therefore it is useless to demand and to expect the impossible from people. We all are different.

Elessar
12-28-2016, 01:47 PM

I see no problem with that from my standpoint.

That is where the spirit departed.

Kathianne
12-28-2016, 01:52 PM
I'm not a celebrity watcher. I do think a prayer for the departed is just that, sort of a 'golden rule' type of thing. Gushing on any celebrity just isn't my thing, nor interest. LOL!

Gunny
12-28-2016, 02:02 PM
What was it like when Elvis died? Or John Lennon?t

For me? Meant nothing to me. I didn't know either of them personally. The media went gaga and the little fans, but it makes no sense to me. I still had to go to work.

Gunny
12-28-2016, 02:08 PM
I completely agree. Why do people eulogize and cry about celebrities that they've never met? I hope they are doing at least as much for their friends and family, but I suspect they don't. It is ironic, but the chances are that the friends and family were much better people than the celebrities. (No offense to any celebrities on the board :cool:)

Closer to home, but I've noticed if we treated our families/those around us even half as nice in life as we do when they die, we'd live in a very different world.

Elessar
12-28-2016, 02:10 PM
I'm not a celebrity watcher. I do think a prayer for the departed is just that, sort of a 'golden rule' type of thing. Gushing on any celebrity just isn't my thing, nor interest. LOL!

There are only a handful I would lament.

John Wayne was one....

The rest to be determined.

Gunny
12-28-2016, 02:16 PM
He is not able to understand that some very lucky people may become a part of the others' lifes. And with their death a part of your life has gone too. It is sad and it is a reason for condolences.
Therefore it is useless to demand and to expect the impossible from people. We all are different.

I'm not the one not understanding here. Balu. When I go? Incinerate my ass and throw the ashes in the Frio River where I used to swim. Get a keg and have a party. Don't cry on my ass.

AND, Balu, if you think I don't know what loss is, try being in the actual military.

aboutime
12-28-2016, 02:26 PM

Gunny. I understand where you are coming from with your near-whine about RIP. But, like it or not. Anyone who says that, does so for a reason. It's called, or generally referred to as paying respects, showing humanity, or expressing feelings toward people we may, or may not know. Ya know? Like Being Human.
I know, after I kick the bucket..I won't get to hear all the funny, nice, terrible things people will say about me, like you won't. Truth is. It kinda pisses me off I WON'T BE IN CONTROL after I take the LONG SLEEP.
AND, I find it really makes me mad...I won't be around for the celebration...THAT'S WHAT THEY CALL IT....after I'm gone. Wouldn't it be cool to hear what they have to say while still alive????:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gunny
12-28-2016, 02:33 PM
Gunny. I understand where you are coming from with your near-whine about RIP. But, like it or not. Anyone who says that, does so for a reason. It's called, or generally referred to as paying respects, showing humanity, or expressing feelings toward people we may, or may not know. Ya know? Like Being Human.
I know, after I kick the bucket..I won't get to hear all the funny, nice, terrible things people will say about me, like you won't. Truth is. It kinda pisses me off I WON'T BE IN CONTROL after I take the LONG SLEEP.
AND, I find it really makes me mad...I won't be around for the celebration...THAT'S WHAT THEY CALL IT....after I'm gone. Wouldn't it be cool to hear what they have to say while still alive????:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yeah. Hearing what they have to say and having the opportunity to call BULLSHIT!:laugh:

You got the whine thing wrong though. I'm just throwing sh*t against the wall to see what sticks. At the same time, the question is legit. I don't get why we do all that crap for dead bodies. Know what a funeral costs nowadays? (Mine's free/paid for so it ain't about me)

NightTrain
12-28-2016, 02:40 PM
When I kick off, I just want them to cremate me and take me up above the canyon above the cabin and sprinkle my ashes in the river for one last ride down the whitewater.

Buying a casket and a funeral is hideously expensive and pointless... this body is just a temporary shell for now.

aboutime
12-28-2016, 02:42 PM
Yeah. Hearing what they have to say and having the opportunity to call BULLSHIT!:laugh:

You got the whine thing wrong though. I'm just throwing sh*t against the wall to see what sticks. At the same time, the question is legit. I don't get why we do all that crap for dead bodies. Know what a funeral costs nowadays? (Mine's free/paid for so it ain't about me)

Got ya Gunny. Bottom line, if you think about it. Being pissed off doesn't do us any good. Once we take our last breath, become worm dirt, kick that bucket. All the sh*t being thrown at the wall will mean nothing. Once someone is DEAD. They are DEAD for a really long time. My funeral is paid for too! Just gotta keep using BRASSO to shine the URN every couple of years!:death::angel::amen:

Gunny
12-28-2016, 03:07 PM
Got ya Gunny. Bottom line, if you think about it. Being pissed off doesn't do us any good. Once we take our last breath, become worm dirt, kick that bucket. All the sh*t being thrown at the wall will mean nothing. Once someone is DEAD. They are DEAD for a really long time. My funeral is paid for too! Just gotta keep using BRASSO to shine the URN every couple of years!:death::angel::amen:

I'm not pissed at all, AT. "Throwing sh*t against wall" : just digging up something to talk about. Creativity is not my strong suit. I generally react to what others post. When no one's posting much I start poking around.

The amount of money spent on funerals is absurd. When you add in personal expenses for attendees as well? I'll pass.

Russ
12-28-2016, 04:50 PM
Closer to home, but I've noticed if we treated our families/those around us even half as nice in life as we do when they die, we'd live in a very different world.

That's quite a profound statement, Gunny. I will remember that.

Gunny
12-28-2016, 05:39 PM
That's quite a profound statement, Gunny. I will remember that.

I'm a Louis Armstrong fan. I just don't let my wishes get in the way of my reality. :)

Bilgerat
12-28-2016, 05:54 PM
I'm not pissed at all, AT. "Throwing sh*t against wall" : just digging up something to talk about. Creativity is not my strong suit. I generally react to what others post. When no one's posting much I start poking around.

The amount of money spent on funerals is absurd. When you add in personal expenses for attendees as well? I'll pass.

As for me, I'm gonna get Cremated, then the Lady will call the Coast Guard to take the box out to sea and "splash".

No muss, no fuss, just send her the SBP. :salute:

Black Diamond
12-28-2016, 06:27 PM
t

For me? Meant nothing to me. I didn't know either of them personally. The media went gaga and the little fans, but it makes no sense to me. I still had to go to work.

People felt connected to them because of their music, it's not rational. That why you don't get it. :).

On top of that, women were in love with both of them.

Black Diamond
12-28-2016, 06:42 PM
More irrationality for Gunny.

When George Michael died, it made me think back to middle school when father figure was on the radio nonstop. It was a good time. I don't care much about Michael. But that's what it made me think of.

I don't know what people are upset about Princess Leia for. Maybe she was an adolescent crush for 12-15 year olds?

And so now it feels weird for them? .

I liked episodes 4-6 but I wasn't in love with Leia. (Shrug)

Gunny
12-28-2016, 07:26 PM
More irrationality for @Gunny (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=30).

When George Michael died, it made me think back to middle school when father figure was on the radio nonstop. It was a good time. I don't care much about Michael. But that's what it made me think of.

I don't know what people are upset about Princess Leia for. Maybe she was an adolescent crush for 12-15 year olds?

And so now it feels weird for them? .

I liked episodes 4-6 but I wasn't in love with Leia. (Shrug)

HOW DARE YOU? Defile Princess Leia? You should be drawn, quartered and hanged. Bastard. If you didn't love her in 78 you are gay. :slap:

Actually I came up with this thread watching a show about celebrities who have died this past year. It was not about a specific person nor specifically about this board. We lament certain deaths and ignore others. You ain't more important because you're a celebrity. You're just as dead as the rest of us when we die.

People acting all butt hurt about someone they never knew just intrigues me. Sure. I thought Carrie Fisher was the hottest thing since sliced bread. I was a 17 years old male. I would have taken over the damned Force for her. Only if she wore that hot little white outfit.:laugh:

But, her passing means nothing to me other than a note in a history book. I don't have that emotion chip installed.

Abbey Marie
12-28-2016, 07:46 PM
HOW DARE YOU? Defile Princess Leia? You should be drawn, quartered and hanged. Bastard. If you didn't love her in 78 you are gay. :slap:

Actually I came up with this thread watching a show about celebrities who have died this past year. It was not about a specific person nor specifically about this board. We lament certain deaths and ignore others. You ain't more important because you're a celebrity. You're just as dead as the rest of us when we die.

People acting all butt hurt about someone they never knew just intrigues me. Sure. I thought Carrie Fisher was the hottest thing since sliced bread. I was a 17 years old male. I would have taken over the damned Force for her. Only if she wore that hot little white outfit.:laugh:

But, her passing means nothing to me other than a note in a history book. I don't have that emotion chip installed.

So the crusty sergeant and I have something in common. Who'd have thought that? ;)

Black Diamond
12-28-2016, 07:52 PM
So the crusty sergeant and I have something in common. Who'd have thought that? ;)

You were in love with Princess Leia?

Black Diamond
12-28-2016, 07:56 PM

Fans think they know these celebrities through their art. They get connected to them.

Black Diamond
12-28-2016, 07:59 PM
Gunny would love to play Jabba the Hut. That's all I have to say about that. :cool:

Black Diamond
12-28-2016, 08:00 PM

OK Abbey. Han or Luke?

Abbey Marie
12-28-2016, 08:29 PM
OK @Abbey (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=11). Han or Luke?

Neither!

This guy, though:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9572&stc=1

Gunny
12-28-2016, 08:34 PM

No. She wants the little white outfit.:slap:

Gunny
12-28-2016, 08:36 PM
OK @Abbey (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=11). Han or Luke?

I'm going with Marianne. She was hot.

NightTrain
12-28-2016, 08:37 PM

No way.

Ginger. Definitely Ginger.

Gunny
12-28-2016, 08:40 PM
No way.

Ginger. Definitely Ginger.

Take her too long to get made up for me. Marianne just tossed on the shorts and was good to go.

hjmick
12-28-2016, 10:26 PM
Neither!

This guy, though:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9572&stc=1

Ah yes, Deuce Bigalow, The Mummy, NCIS, and many others... Oded Fehr.

Gunny
12-28-2016, 10:37 PM

Great. Now Mick's going gay on me. Do y'all have any shame?

Black Diamond
12-28-2016, 10:59 PM

Just a gigolo
Everywhere I go
People know the part
I'm playing

Paid for every dance
Selling each romance
Every night some heart
Betraying

There will come a day
Youth will pass away
Then what will they say
About me

When the end comes I know
They'll say just a gigolo
As life goes on
Without me

'Cause I ain't got nobody
Nobody nobody cares for me
I'm so sad and lonely
Sad and lonely sad and lonely
Won't some sweet mama
Come and take a chance with me
Cause I ain't so bad

Get along with me babe,
Been singin' love songs
All of the time
Even only be, honey only, only be
Bop bozadee bozadee bop zitty bop

I ain't got nobody 'cept love songs in love
Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla
Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop

I ain't got nobody, nobody,
Nobody cares for me
Nobody , nobody
I'm so sad and lonely,
Sad and lonely,
Sad and lonely,
Won't some sweet mama come
And take a chance with me
'Cause I ain't so bad

Get along with me babe,
Been singin' love songs
All of the time
Even only be, honey only, only be

Abbey Marie
12-28-2016, 11:24 PM
Take her too long to get made up for me. Marianne just tossed on the shorts and was good to go.

Well, Gunny, it's not how long it takes to put the shorts on. It's how long it takes to remove them.

:teasing:

NightTrain
12-29-2016, 03:26 AM
Well, Gunny, it's not how long it takes to put the shorts on. It's how long it takes to remove them.

Oh. Yeah.

:smoke:

Black Diamond
12-29-2016, 03:28 AM

:laugh:

Gunny
12-29-2016, 06:23 AM

Doing the math on this one is easy. I got a deserted island, Marianne, and my competition is Gilligan, a fat as skipper and a geek. Gonna be lots of little Gunny's running atound that place.:laugh:

Gunny
12-29-2016, 07:03 AM
Doing the math on this one is easy. I got a deserted island, Marianne, and my competition is Gilligan, a fat as skipper and a geek. Gonna be lots of little Gunny's running atound that place.:laugh:

Been pondering a statement that I lack empathy. That is not true. However, we are barraged with tearjerker stories to the point of just not listening. Crap, if you listen to Alyssa Milano, you'd thinks pets were humans capable of complex reasoning. The ASPCA and a few other charity organizations have been on my TV non stop this holiday season, laying on the guilt trips. Sorry Alyssa ... don't treat your dog like sh*t and the world will get on without you. Newsflash Alyssa ;; animals are not people,

Get your fat ass out and unload water bottles all day for Katrina victims at Ft Sam Houston. For free. Provide you skills (if you can come up with one) to Habitats for Humanity on your days off. For free. Buy lunch for a homeless person.

Charity/empathy does not come with compensation.

tailfins
12-29-2016, 10:07 AM

This is very informative for someone like myself for whom this "grieving process" is only known about from reading and hearing about other people's experiences. I still think that a significantly impaired bonding ability is a blessing. What I hate about funerals is the expectation to act like everyone else and expect anger and retaliation if you don't do a sufficiently good job at mimicking everyone else behavior.

CSM
12-29-2016, 10:18 AM

Yep...