PDA

View Full Version : American media continue to lie

Balu
12-28-2016, 12:14 PM
RUSADA deny New York Times report

<meta content="RUSADA deny New York Times report" itemprop="name"> The Russian Anti-Dping agency have come out swinging at a New York Times report that said they had admitted to an organised doping conspiracy.

Source: AAP

29 Dec 2016 - 3:26 AM UPDATED 39 MINS AGO

Russia's anti-doping agency RUSADA said on Wednesday it had not admitted to mass doping in the country's sports system and that a report in the New York Times which suggested it had was a distortion of its position.
The US newspaper reported earlier on Wednesday that RUSADA officials had for the first time admitted there had been an organised conspiracy to dope in Russia.
It cited Anna Antseliovich, the acting director general of RUSADA, as making the admission in an interview.
"It was an institutional conspiracy," it cited her as saying. She said top officials had not been involved.
That appeared to chime with the final part of the World Anti-Doping Agency's independent report into doping which this month provided evidence of an elaborate doping scheme.
The report found more than 1,000 Russian competitors in more than 30 sports were involved in a conspiracy to conceal positive drug tests over a period of five years.
But RUSADA said in a statement on Wednesday that Antseliovich's words, as reported in the New York Times, had been "distorted" and "taken out of context."
"We want to underline that RUSADA does not have and could not have the authority to admit or deny such a fact (of an institutional conspiracy)," RUSADA said.
"The Russian Federation's Investigative Committee is looking into the matter (of doping). Every accused sportsperson has the indisputable right to object to the accusations."
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters Russian authorities had always denied that the Russian state had been involved in doping.
Russian President Vladimir Putin said last week there were some problems with sports doping in Russia, but that there was no state-sponsored doping system as critics have alleged.

Trigg
12-28-2016, 03:00 PM
our media is not always the best source of truthful reporting

To often they are busy making up stories in order to boost ratings.

Elessar
12-28-2016, 03:09 PM

And I am sure the state-run media in Russia is completely honest.:rolleyes:

In a pig's eye! Propaganda is the driving force there.

Gunny
12-28-2016, 03:09 PM

I was thinking the same thing. The New York Times as a media source? The National Enquirer probably tells the truth more.:laugh:

Elessar
12-28-2016, 03:24 PM
I was thinking the same thing. The New York Times as a media source? The National Enquirer probably tells the truth more.:laugh:

Both should be kept on cardboard rolls, left next to the toilet.

Gunny
12-28-2016, 03:28 PM
Both should be kept on cardboard rolls, left next to the toilet.

I would not defile my John Wayne TP like that,:laugh:

Balu
12-28-2016, 11:00 PM

There is another problem. Media are always engaged in forming public opinion being the only source of information for many. And they are a powerful tool to manipulate people.

Gunny
12-28-2016, 11:08 PM
There is another problem. Media are always engaged in forming public opinion being the only source of information for many. And they are a powerful tool to manipulate people.

Think about what you just said, then instead of running away, discuss.

Black Diamond
12-28-2016, 11:10 PM
Think about what you just said, then instead of running away, discuss.

I don't know that he can even see you to heed your advice.

Gunny
12-29-2016, 07:12 AM
I don't know that he can even see you to heed your advice.

He can. I'm a mod. You can't ignore me. Aside from that, anyone that quotes a post puts it right in their faces. People that choose to ignore facts do so of their own choosing. It ain't gonna shut me up. I'll keep putting it out there. They just prove their willful ignorance, not mine. I consider the people that think they have me on ignore a testament to me being right and they having no answer.

And the list of people that don't respond to me are (not surprisingly) the usual suspects.

Balu
12-29-2016, 08:25 AM
And I am sure the state-run media in Russia is completely honest.:rolleyes:

In a pig's eye! Propaganda is the driving force there.

A couple of words about propaganda...
The initial meaning of the word 'propaganda' from Latin was - distribution of Faith/Belief.
Nowadays 'propaganda' means the distribution of information with the aim to form 'public opinion' with the aim to convince people in their own rightness and the reasonableness of their actions. The latest example of propaganda were the majority of American media, which created a mem 'CNN'.
There are 3 kinds of propaganda: 'white' - the truth, 'black' - pure lie and 'gray' - a lie with fragments of the truth. To be able to tell one thing from the others there are only two possible ways - to be deep inside the events and situation, or have professional knowledge in a particular subject of investigation, systematically analyze the various sources of information solving which contradictions to be cut and eventually build up a complete logical system that will reflect the reality.
As you see the second approach is too complicated for individuals and the first is too expensive hobby for the majority who have to earn money for their life. http://s19.rimg.info/aee19e2775457d135efdf745e7d94e15.gif (http://smayliki.ru/smilie-1224821991.html)

Drummond
12-29-2016, 09:53 AM
The initial meaning of the word 'propaganda' from Latin was - distribution of Faith/Belief.
Nowadays 'propaganda' means the distribution of information with the aim to form 'public opinion' with the aim to convince people in their own rightness and the reasonableness of their actions. The latest example of propaganda were the majority of American media, which created a mem 'CNN'.
There are 3 kinds of propaganda: 'white' - the truth, 'black' - pure lie and 'gray' - a lie with fragments of the truth. To be able to tell one thing from the others there are only two possible ways - to be deep inside the events and situation, or have professional knowledge in a particular subject of investigation, systematically analyze the various sources of information solving which contradictions to be cut and eventually build up a complete logical system that will reflect the reality.
As you see the second approach is too complicated for individuals and the first is too expensive hobby for the majority who have to earn money for their life. http://s19.rimg.info/aee19e2775457d135efdf745e7d94e15.gif (http://smayliki.ru/smilie-1224821991.html)

H'm. You seem to be an expert on propaganda ?

Getting back on track, though ... if you have it in mind to deny that doping is rife in Russian sport, AND that it's officially sanctioned by your authorities, you evidently have no idea of how established a known reality this is for us in the West. Believe me, we've known about Russia's efforts in this regard for rather a long time !

My guess .... your country's media is so rigidly controlled (whether overtly OR covertly so) that you are misled to a massive extent when it comes to your country's many 'failings'.

This is one such example.

Try Wikipedia ... check this out ...

Doping in Russian sports is a significant issue. Russia has had the most (31) Olympic medals stripped for doping violations – nearly triple the number of the second country. From 2011 to 2015, more than a thousand Russian competitors in various sports, including summer, winter, and Paralympic sports, benefited from a cover-up.

Media attention began growing in December 2014 when German broadcaster ARD reported on state-sponsored doping in Russia, comparing it to doping in East Germany. The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) published a report in November 2015 which was highly critical of the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA) and the All-Russia Athletic Federation (ARAF). In November 2015, the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) suspended Russia indefinitely from world track and field events due to widespread doping.

Following allegations by a Russian former lab director about the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, WADA commissioned an independent investigation led by Richard McLaren. McLaren's investigation found corroborating evidence, concluding in a report published in July 2016 that the Ministry of Sport and the Federal Security Service (FSB) had operated a "state-directed failsafe system" using a "disappearing positive [test] methodology" (DPM) from "at least late 2011 to August 2015". In response to these findings, WADA announced that RUSADA should be regarded as non-compliant with respect to the World Anti-Doping Code and recommended that Russia be banned from competing at the 2016 Summer Olympics. The International Olympic Commission (IOC) rejected that recommendation, stating that the IOC and each sport's international federation would make decisions on each athlete's individual basis. On 4 August 2016, one day prior to the opening ceremony, 270 athletes were cleared for competition, while 167 were removed because of doping.

How much of this are you aware of, Balu ? Any of it ? Do your media allow you the smallest glimpse of this reality ?

Balu, I can post link after link about how rife doping is from Russia, how institutionalised it is, and I can do it using left wing media, or right wing media, from America, Britain, or elsewhere. Your choice !

Face the fact that your worldview, be it on this or other subjects, bears far less similarity with TRUTH than you'd like to believe. Your Russian authorities are giving you a distorted (at best !) view of reality.

Stick with this forum, Balu. IF you have an open mind, in the fullness of time, this forum can correct you. I for one will be happy to assist in that effort !;)

Gunny
12-29-2016, 02:57 PM
H'm. You seem to be an expert on propaganda ?

Getting back on track, though ... if you have it in mind to deny that doping is rife in Russian sport, AND that it's officially sanctioned by your authorities, you evidently have no idea of how established a known reality this is for us in the West. Believe me, we've known about Russia's efforts in this regard for rather a long time !

My guess .... your country's media is so rigidly controlled (whether overtly OR covertly so) that you are misled to a massive extent when it comes to your country's many 'failings'.

This is one such example.

Try Wikipedia ... check this out ...

How much of this are you aware of, Balu ? Any of it ? Do your media allow you the smallest glimpse of this reality ?

Balu, I can post link after link about how rife doping is from Russia, how institutionalised it is, and I can do it using left wing media, or right wing media, from America, Britain, or elsewhere. Your choice !

Face the fact that your worldview, be it on this or other subjects, bears far less similarity with TRUTH than you'd like to believe. Your Russian authorities are giving you a distorted (at best !) view of reality.

Stick with this forum, Balu. IF you have an open mind, in the fullness of time, this forum can correct you. I for one will be happy to assist in that effort !;)

While Balu may be guilty of a lot of things, can't blame doping on him. That crap has been going on since the 40s and it is across the board rampant. The Nazi's invented steroids as a means to help burn victims heal faster. The biggest abuser by far was US athletes. The USSR followed suit. When everyone got all sanctimonious about it in the West, our athletes dropped off the map.

If I am going to point a finger, it's at the IOC. We get held to this higher standard while a blind eye is turned toward the East. That's politics, not sports. When you look at the complexity of the issue because of politics, it takes a different turn.

People cheat to win. Always have. The drug(s) are not the problem. They are a symptom of the disease. What's the disease? Win no matter what it costs. We were taught that since we were kids. Doesn't matter how you get the score, just get it.

But who really wins? If I have to cheat to win, then I don't really win. Doping, steroids, whatever it's called these days is just cheating. Simple as that. But WE AS A SOCIETY while proclaiming we deplore it in public, encourage it by our public attitude about winning.

jimnyc
12-29-2016, 04:43 PM
American media lying about something? Whouda thunk such a thing was possible.

But don't worry, the lefties are here to save the day. They will be getting rid of 'fake news' for us in the future. Aren't we lucky!

Drummond
12-29-2016, 07:11 PM
While Balu may be guilty of a lot of things, can't blame doping on him. That crap has been going on since the 40s and it is across the board rampant. The Nazi's invented steroids as a means to help burn victims heal faster. The biggest abuser by far was US athletes. The USSR followed suit. When everyone got all sanctimonious about it in the West, our athletes dropped off the map.

If I am going to point a finger, it's at the IOC. We get held to this higher standard while a blind eye is turned toward the East. That's politics, not sports. When you look at the complexity of the issue because of politics, it takes a different turn.

People cheat to win. Always have. The drug(s) are not the problem. They are a symptom of the disease. What's the disease? Win no matter what it costs. We were taught that since we were kids. Doesn't matter how you get the score, just get it.

But who really wins? If I have to cheat to win, then I don't really win. Doping, steroids, whatever it's called these days is just cheating. Simple as that. But WE AS A SOCIETY while proclaiming we deplore it in public, encourage it by our public attitude about winning.

Winning isn't everything (I suspect Balu disagrees ?). The way you win must count for something.

If I see somebody steal something, does that mean that I must steal, too ? Or, do I have the choice to opt for a better way of behaving ?

Regardless of how much doping, or cheating, there was in times past, does NOT mean that it gives anybody a 'green light' to do the same forever and a day. Two wrongs don't make a right ! So, if the US has cheated in the past, I say that they own responsibility for that, certainly ... AS DO OTHERS WHO DO IT, TOO.

Russia has earned - and for quite a few years, now - an international reputation for cheating at sporting events. Whether or not Balu's home-grown media has kept that truth from him or not, is neither here nor there .. we know that this is true. Balu has the opportunity to learn the truth about his country from this forum, if in fact he doesn't already know it, and I welcome any and all efforts he makes to undertake that learning process ...

... if indeed he does, of course ...

What Russia has done, she is culpable for, and should face the international condemnation her actions have earned her. No 'ifs, buts or maybes' are involved. Cheating is wrong - end of story.

Elessar
12-29-2016, 08:18 PM
]

Ohh...I do not need to lectured about the term.

TASS was always great at sending out propaganda,
largely devoid of accuracy.

But the USSR was not about accuracy, it was about
mind control and forced assimilation.

Russ
12-29-2016, 08:38 PM
Ohh...I do not need to lectured about the term.

TASS was always great at sending out propaganda,
largely devoid of accuracy.

But the USSR was not about accuracy, it was about
mind control and forced assimilation.

Unfortunately, the US media has mostly devolved into propaganda machines, at least as far as political news. It has gotten to the point where there are only a few types of stories I give any credence to:
1. Sports
2. Weather (there's a 40% chance of a correct story)
3. News on a liberal media outlet (NYT, Washington Post, CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc) that is critical of a Democrat or supportive of a Republican [Note - this is very rare]

Furthermore, since Trump's election, most of the media outlets in item #3 have taken things to new depths. They are now just putting out completely fabricated stories with outrageous headlines. Pretty much complete lies, most of them singularly focused on attacking Trump. We are almost to the point where the NY Times will be fabricating the headline "Trump blows up orphanage and then forecloses on the property" based on nothing at all.

Elessar
12-29-2016, 08:44 PM
Unfortunately, the US media has mostly devolved into propaganda machines, at least as far as political news. It has gotten to the point where there are only a few types of stories I give any credence to:
1. Sports
2. Weather (there's a 40% chance of a correct story)
3. News on a liberal media outlet (NYT, Washington Post, CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc) that is critical of a Democrat or supportive of a Republican [Note - this is very rare]

Furthermore, since Trump's election, most of the media outlets in item #3 have taken things to new depths. They are now just putting out completely fabricated stories with outrageous headlines. Pretty much complete lies, most of them singularly focused on attacking Trump. We are almost to the point where the NY Times will be fabricating the headline "Trump blows up orphanage and then forecloses on the property" based on nothing at all.

Exaggerations I Know, but I see the point.

Weather: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=New+York&state=NY&site=OKX&lat=40.7198&lon=-73.993#.WGW7lVUrKM8

Alter it to suit your needs!