PDA

View Full Version : What Did You Do For The Holidays?

Kathianne
12-28-2016, 07:37 PM
A good portion watching eagles nesting their eggs. LOL!

http://www.dickpritchettrealestate.com/eagle-feed.html#

aboutime
12-28-2016, 08:10 PM
Just joking here, but I spent most of Christmas, watching the ICE SKATES my son gave me....MELT as they hung in front of the Fireplace!:lol:

I also went to the Mall on Christmas eve to shop, and watched a DRUNK standing at the bottom of the Escalator....waiting for it to change direction!

Kathianne
12-28-2016, 08:19 PM

It really is fascinating. At one point, there was over 30k people 'watching.' Right now it's about 20k. 1k online, (full).

They ball up their talons when moving the eggs, man those are deadly! It's close to 'pip' time so mama wants to stay on the nest, but papa gets her to leave to get water, and 'relieve' herself-they don't mess the nest. When she comes back, he wants to stay on the eggs. She kicks him off! During the dark time, he sits on branch right by the nest, ready to take on any owls.

So cool.

NightTrain
12-28-2016, 08:40 PM
It really is fascinating. At one point, there was over 30k people 'watching.' Right now it's about 20k. 1k online, (full).

They ball up their talons when moving the eggs, man those are deadly! It's close to 'pip' time so mama wants to stay on the nest, but papa gets her to leave to get water, and 'relieve' herself-they don't mess the nest. When she comes back, he wants to stay on the eggs. She kicks him off! During the dark time, he sits on branch right by the nest, ready to take on any owls.

So cool.

Yeah, they really work as a team and one of the coolest things I ever witnessed was Big Daddy take out a hawk once as he was harassing Mama.

I'll post the Kodiak pics I took tomorrow or day after, one shot I have is about 100 eagles all hanging out on a fence down there - never have seen so many congregated like that.

Abbey Marie
12-28-2016, 11:30 PM
I watched the whole Eagle hatching process last Spring in Hanover, PA. It was so sad, as neither egg ever hatched. Eventually they just turned off the camera. The year before, though, they both hatched and it was fascinating.

jimnyc
12-29-2016, 04:49 PM

That's actually pretty cool!

Kathianne
12-29-2016, 04:50 PM
That's actually pretty cool!
Yep! One of the eggs pipped while I was at work, (beginning of crack to get out). Very exciting, then again, I'm easily amused. ;)

Elessar
12-29-2016, 07:59 PM
My son and his little lady were able to come and visit.

She is delightful, and I think she wanted to steal my cat, Pippin.
It was great the two of them could relax.

He's in a Doctorate at Samuel Meritt University. She is
still an undergrad at Humboldt State University.

We went touring up the Rogue River, watching Bald Eagles. Then I took
them up to Cape Blanco lighthouse.

She still wanted to steal Pippin, I think!:laugh:

Kathianne
12-31-2016, 07:31 AM
1 eaglet totally out of the shell just moments ago. I'm losing hope for the other egg, haven't seen a pip yet on that one.

Mom, Harriet was on the nest, she really was sleeping a lot last night, most I've seen her. Then she got restless a bit ago, then daddy joined her on nest, just as the eaglet totally emerged. Very cool.