PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Out of B*llshit

Gunny
12-28-2016, 11:03 PM
So someone else needs to come up with something.

Black Diamond
12-28-2016, 11:09 PM

If Dan Marino were playing in today's pussy league, he would throw for 10,000 yards and 75 touchdowns.

Gunny
12-28-2016, 11:15 PM
If Dan Marino were playing in today's pussy league, he would throw for 10,000 yards and 75 touchdowns.

In one game. He had no defense. He was one of the best QBs ever.

NightTrain
12-29-2016, 10:26 AM
My wife's 2015 Jeep Cherokee has a traction control system roughly equivalent of my old trusty 1997 Suburban's traction control system - there really isn't any.

wtf?

tailfins
12-29-2016, 10:29 AM
My wife's vacuum cleaner stopped working, so I put a Jeep logo on it. Now the vacuum cleaner sucks again.

Gunny
12-29-2016, 01:57 PM
My wife's vacuum cleaner stopped working, so I put a Jeep logo on it. Now the vacuum cleaner sucks again.

Never had a problem with a Jeep. The trick to them is simplicity. Get the basic model and build it yourself. All these people that want what are basically cars (ruined actual SUVs) need to just go get a damned car. I'll take a 67 Bronco or Blazer or IH for four wheeling. The rest of those bells and whistles are just more crap to go wrong.

NightTrain
12-29-2016, 02:21 PM
Never had a problem with a Jeep. The trick to them is simplicity. Get the basic model and build it yourself. All these people that want what are basically cars (ruined actual SUVs) need to just go get a damned car. I'll take a 67 Bronco or Blazer or IH for four wheeling. The rest of those bells and whistles are just more crap to go wrong.

The new Jeeps are anything but simple... long gone are the days of Willy's.

This one has an automatic 9-speed tranny, selector dial for Auto, Snow, Mud and Sand terrain. Pretty nice rig, but the Traction Control just doesn't do it like a new Chevy does. Chevy has that system dialed in.

Gunny
12-29-2016, 03:10 PM

This one has an automatic 9-speed tranny, selector dial for Auto, Snow, Mud and Sand terrain. Pretty nice rig, but the Traction Control just doesn't do it like a new Chevy does. Chevy has that system dialed in.

What the Hell does a 9 speed tranny do? And I'm speaking from the viewpoint of a desert 4-wheeler. If you can't fix it, it don't go on the ride. The auto club ain't showing up in the Mojave anytime soon.

People are too dependent on complicated gadgets. I totally agree on the GM rear diff though. They got that sucker down pat.

NightTrain
12-29-2016, 03:20 PM
What the Hell does a 9 speed tranny do? And I'm speaking from the viewpoint of a desert 4-wheeler. If you can't fix it, it don't go on the ride. The auto club ain't showing up in the Mojave anytime soon.

People are too dependent on complicated gadgets. I totally agree on the GM rear diff though. They got that sucker down pat.

Efficiency. Think about it - there's really no reason an engine should rev up to 3500 RPMs when it could be closely geared and spin much less, burning less fuel and there's less wear & tear on the engine.

When I found out it had a 9-speed, my first thought was to unload it ASAP before it screwed up - but that baby is the most smoothest shifting vehicle I've ever driven. You can't even feel it shift when you're driving normally, you only see it by watching the Tach do it's thing.

Driving on the highway with cruise I'm getting 30+ MPG, and that's damned impressive for a 4x4 SUV.

But, yeah... I'm still kinda leery of that tranny. I'll let you know how it does 2 years from now!

Gunny
12-29-2016, 03:35 PM
Efficiency. Think about it - there's really no reason an engine should rev up to 3500 RPMs when it could be closely geared and spin much less, burning less fuel and there's less wear & tear on the engine.

When I found out it had a 9-speed, my first thought was to unload it ASAP before it screwed up - but that baby is the most smoothest shifting vehicle I've ever driven. You can't even feel it shift when you're driving normally, you only see it by watching the Tach do it's thing.

Driving on the highway with cruise I'm getting 30+ MPG, and that's damned impressive for a 4x4 SUV.

But, yeah... I'm still kinda leery of that tranny. I'll let you know how it does 2 years from now!
Yeah. Can't wait for that 2 years. "Gunny, I need a ride". Oh sure. AK is just a few minutes away.:laugh:

Elessar
12-29-2016, 03:37 PM

I loved my IH Scout! Strong as hell and made a Jeep look like a carnival ride!

Elessar
12-29-2016, 03:38 PM

My present Yukon is pretty well loaded..

NightTrain
12-29-2016, 03:48 PM
My present Yukon is pretty well loaded..

Yeah, with those new Chevys in the nasty no-traction scenario, you just hold the throttle on the floor and let that computer do it's thing with giving each wheel just enough power before it breaks loose.

A couple years ago I was in a 2012 company Chevy Equinox with ordinary all-terrains on it, and I was the only rig to climb to the top of an icy road with fresh rain on it to a cell tower. A Subaru, Jeep, older Suburban and '08 2500 HDs were unable to even make it up 1/8th the way. I was impressed with it... it was a mountain goat!

NightTrain
12-29-2016, 03:53 PM
Yeah. Can't wait for that 2 years. "Gunny, I need a ride". Oh sure. AK is just a few minutes away.:laugh:

Oh, I've got 2 other rigs standing by for backup!
Homey doesn't do anything without a backup plan these days... I like to operate with options. :coffee:

My trusty old Suburban has over 200k on her now and still purrs like a kitten. I can't bear to part with it... it's been one hell of a reliable old warhorse and has never let me down. Maybe in 20 years I'll have a funeral for her and bury her in the back 40 with a 580-dug hole and a solemn shot of whiskey.

Gunny
12-29-2016, 03:54 PM
Yeah, with those new Chevys in the nasty no-traction scenario, you just hold the throttle on the floor and let that computer do it's thing with giving each wheel just enough power before it breaks loose.

A couple years ago I was in a 2012 company Chevy Equinox with ordinary all-terrains on it, and I was the only rig to climb to the top of an icy road with fresh rain on it to a cell tower. A Subaru, Jeep, older Suburban and '08 2500 HDs were unable to even make it up 1/8th the way. I was impressed with it... it was a mountain goat!

Get a locker for your rear diff. You'll forget you have 4WD.

NightTrain
12-29-2016, 03:55 PM

Oh, I've had lockers... they help a lot. But let me tell you, there is absolutely no substitute for 4x4!

Get a front diff locker and it'll go anywhere, but you'll pay hell trying to steer the damn thing.

Gunny
12-29-2016, 04:16 PM
Oh, I've had lockers... they help a lot. But let me tell you, there is absolutely no substitute for 4x4!

Get a front diff locker and it'll go anywhere, but you'll pay hell trying to steer the damn thing.

Location, location, location. You need a 4WD. I do not. I found the locker does everything I want. When I was an avid w-wheeler, sure. But when weighing the options (to and from work and the 7-11) I don't need it. That locker puts both wheels on my 2500 HD right on the ground. And I got 3500 HP that don't just go away.

Whoever invented that :power goes to the other wheel" crap should be shot.

If I had a wish list, I'd like to have a winch. Those trips to 7-11 are dangerous.:laugh:

CSM
12-29-2016, 04:31 PM
Location, location, location. You need a 4WD. I do not. I found the locker does everything I want. When I was an avid w-wheeler, sure. But when weighing the options (to and from work and the 7-11) I don't need it. That locker puts both wheels on my 2500 HD right on the ground. And I got 3500 HP that don't just go away.

Whoever invented that :power goes to the other wheel" crap should be shot.

If I had a wish list, I'd like to have a winch. Those trips to 7-11 are dangerous.:laugh:

I'd like to have a wench too .... oh wait .... nevermnd

Gunny
12-29-2016, 04:34 PM

Yeah, but I want a practical one that don't talk.:laugh:

jimnyc
12-29-2016, 04:40 PM

Squeeze bullypulpit's head, out comes the bullshit just for you. Then again, all you really need to do is just ask him to post, the BS always comes for free. :)

CSM
12-29-2016, 04:42 PM
Yeah, but I want a practical one that don't talk.:laugh:

Duct tape....

Elessar
12-29-2016, 08:48 PM

GMC's are monsters compared to Ford and Chrysler (cheaper builds)

Elessar
12-29-2016, 08:51 PM

Winch...or Wench SGT Major?:laugh:

CSM
12-29-2016, 09:09 PM
Winch...or Wench SGT Major?:laugh:

yes

NightTrain
12-29-2016, 11:23 PM
GMC's are monsters compared to Ford and Chrysler (cheaper builds)

Gotta agree with you there, at least as far as Chrysler vs Chevy... in fairness, I haven't personally tested out Ford's latest 4x4s in the nasty stuff yet. The '08 F-250 Super Duty we were in down in Kodiak a few days ago is too old to fairly judge modern traction control systems... it behaved like all old 4x4s and there wasn't much - if any - computer between driver and wheel spin. Everything else in that truck was nicely engineered, though, and it carried 3,500 pounds no problem.

Gunny
12-30-2016, 12:54 AM
Gotta agree with you there, at least as far as Chrysler vs Chevy... in fairness, I haven't personally tested out Ford's latest 4x4s in the nasty stuff yet. The '08 F-250 Super Duty we were in down in Kodiak a few days ago is too old to fairly judge modern traction control systems... it behaved like all old 4x4s and there wasn't much - if any - computer between driver and wheel spin. Everything else in that truck was nicely engineered, though, and it carried 3,500 pounds no problem.

I don't get why Ford has just refused to build a good rear end. The best one Ford has is the old 9" and it's as good as the best. I've seen people do rabbit hat tricks to stick old Mustang rearends on their 4x4s. For some reason Ford has steadfastly refused to bust that puppy back out, preferring to go with that weak C-3/4 crap. I can pull more with a come along than one of those trannies can.

tailfins
12-30-2016, 12:17 PM

Just don't forget to unlock it after you are done offroading. I was told that forgetting can cause major problems. One feature that I like is crawl control. I have it along with KDSS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19BNRvuNLWE

Elessar
12-30-2016, 11:39 PM

My old International Scout would make them all look sick, and it was stock.

Too bad they quit making them. That thing was a dream.

NightTrain
12-30-2016, 11:52 PM
My old International Scout would make them all look sick, and it was stock.

Too bad they quit making them. That thing was a dream.

Those were good rigs, my Dad had an International pickup that was amazing. Ugly as hell, but amazing!

Another great 4x4 we had was Dad's 1970 Bronco. That thing was a real animal as well.

Balu
12-31-2016, 12:11 AM
...as well as a chainsaw and shovel.
I wonder, why Americans so often buy huge 4x4 if more than 90% of them never leave high-ways and city streets?

Elessar
12-31-2016, 12:48 AM
...as well as a chainsaw and shovel.
I wonder, why Americans so often buy huge 4x4 if more than 90% of them never leave high-ways and city streets?

It is called a FAD and a WannBe....most of them never drive gravel, let alone river rocks.

Just toys for the city folk that could not light a campfire in the wind.

Elessar
12-31-2016, 12:50 AM
Those were good rigs, my Dad had an International pickup that was amazing. Ugly as hell, but amazing!

Another great 4x4 we had was Dad's 1970 Bronco. That thing was a real animal as well.

Scouts were incredibly strong. I would own one now if they were still built.

Now I have a Yukon.

Balu
12-31-2016, 07:19 AM
It is called a FAD and a WannBe....most of them never drive gravel, let alone river rocks.

Just toys for the city folk that could not light a campfire in the wind.
I think this clip will impress you a bit. As to me I am fond of 4x4 Trophies om my Favorite "Niva 1.7 4WD'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xmMLaW2YVw

I have such a car for my fishing and hunting, for long distance driving C-class "Volga" 2.3i and my wife has A-class AT KIA-Picanto 1.1 for city driving and shopping.

Gunny
12-31-2016, 02:25 PM
Scouts were incredibly strong. I would own one now if they were still built.

Now I have a Yukon.

I'd have one in a second. Or an old Bronco, Blazer or CJ-5/7. Back when you could pop the hood and actually see the engine.