PDA

View Full Version : Ford cancels $1.6 billion Mexican plant

jimnyc
01-03-2017, 11:38 AM
I wonder why they did this? :)

Either way, good for America!!!

----

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co (F.N) said Tuesday it will cancel a planned $1.6 billion factory in Mexico and will invest $700 million at a Michigan factory as it expands its electric vehicle and hybrid offerings.

The second largest U.S. automaker had come under harsh criticism from President-elect Donald Trump for its Mexican investment plans.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/ford-cancels-1-6-billion-160903623.html

CSM
01-03-2017, 11:43 AM

----

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co (F.N) said Tuesday it will cancel a planned $1.6 billion factory in Mexico and will invest $700 million at a Michigan factory as it expands its electric vehicle and hybrid offerings.

The second largest U.S. automaker had come under harsh criticism from President-elect Donald Trump for its Mexican investment plans.

Obama convinced them to keep those jobs in the US... LOL

NightTrain
01-03-2017, 12:55 PM
Yeah... that was probably already in the works. :rolleyes:

jimnyc
01-03-2017, 01:07 PM

Bully will tell us that it was treasonous, that the septuagenarian used illegal methods to deny Ford freedoms.

NightTrain
01-03-2017, 01:20 PM
Bully will tell us that it was treasonous, that the septuagenarian used illegal methods to deny Ford freedoms.

I'm sure there was LOTS of evildoing being schemed, primarily the racist plot to further damage the Mexican economy. Because racism. Also, sexism.

pete311
01-03-2017, 01:48 PM
fyi, without Obama there would be no Ford

Kathianne
01-03-2017, 01:59 PM

Actually Ford didn't take any bailout.

NightTrain
01-03-2017, 02:08 PM

:laugh2:

As usual, Petey's got all the wrong answers. Still batting a thousand!

So, Petey, are you ready to explain how we're about to run out of Oil, Natural Gas and Coal in a few years? I can't help but notice that you're very reluctant to revisit your bold predictions and expound upon them.

pete311
01-03-2017, 02:52 PM

Ford Credit took 15.9 billion

jimnyc
01-03-2017, 02:56 PM
Ford Credit took 15.9 billion

The American taxpayers got the shit kicked out of them with Obama's deal. And coincidentally, that's just about how much money the USA lost on Obama's deal.

Russ
01-03-2017, 09:01 PM

----

Ford CEO said it was because he sees America's economy being more pro-growth with the kinds of policies Trump has in mind. That, plus Ford is worried about damage to its corporate image if they get plantclosing-shamed by Trump.

fj1200
01-04-2017, 08:49 AM
Obama convinced them to keep those jobs in the US... LOL

The small car production is still leaving it seems.

There are things that are true and there are things that you believe. Those two are not always the same.

Balu
01-04-2017, 11:20 AM
I remember the times when American made cars filed the markets of Middle East, South-East Asia, Australia and NZ. Where are you those golden times, when nowadays the USA is importing European and Asian cars.
I think Trump dislikes the fact that some markets are lost for American made items, maybe forever. And where are you, powerful rocket engines, which brought Americans (?) to the Moon and back? There are no such engines any more. So Americans have to buy less powerful engines from Russians and use our space-ships to bring American astronauts to the International Space-Station.

Black Diamond
01-04-2017, 11:23 AM
I remember the times when American made cars filed the markets of Middle East, South-East Asia, Australia and NZ. Where are you those golden times, when nowadays the USA is importing European and Asian cars.
I think Trump dislikes the fact that some markets are lost for American made items, maybe forever. And where are you, powerful rocket engines, which brought Americans (?) to the Moon and back? There are no such engines any more. So Americans have to buy less powerful engines from Russians and use our space-ships to bring American astronauts to the International Space-Station.

American companies refused to adapt....

I still won't buy foreign cars.

Gunny
01-04-2017, 11:27 AM

GMC 2500 HD, Fire engine red. Got a 383 under the hood. Not real sneaky though.:laugh:

Balu
01-04-2017, 11:35 AM

Can you tell me why in Russia and Australia prefer Japanese or Korean, but not American cars? I still remember how ugly the Japanese cars looked in 60s.

NightTrain
01-04-2017, 12:20 PM

I've thought about that quite a bit. The Japanese simply put out a superior product with their small cars. More reliable by a long shot & more fuel efficient. There are a lot of 4x4 Toyota & Nissan trucks running around too, and I have a Honda 4x4 SUV in my fleet. The Japanese came to dominate the foreign car market because they surpassed American quality years ago and that's a natural result of things.

Even with small engines - nothing can stand up to a Honda, that's what powers my generator up at the cabin. Briggs & Stratton is a junk motor. Tecumseh is junk. The closest in quality would have been the Wisconsin Robin, but they were bought by Subaru. I'd gladly support any American small engine that was even in the ballpark as far as quality, but there isn't any American contender.

Polaris makes a great small engine for their snowmachines & ATVs that is world class... so that's something.

The fact that NASA gave up on building rockets and the like is a tragedy. The Space Program is a matter of national pride, but it's terrifically expensive. We should be building and riding our own rockets to space, and the private rocket industry is not quite there yet. They're close, though.

Balu
01-04-2017, 12:32 PM
...The fact that NASA gave up on building rockets and the like is a tragedy. The Space Program is a matter of national pride, but it's terrifically expensive. We should be building and riding our own rockets to space, and the private rocket industry is not quite there yet. They're close, though.

It sounds strange in respect to the USA. Doesn't it?

Black Diamond
01-04-2017, 12:36 PM
Can you tell me why in Russia and Australia prefer Japanese or Korean, but not American cars? I still remember how ugly the Japanese cars looked in 60s.

Americans prefer Asian cars to American ones.

I still don't care for Japanese cars or Korean ones either.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-04-2017, 12:37 PM

----

Here s how it went..
Trump told them this--

Boys, there is a new sheriff in town, with loaded six-shooters!
The sheriff leaving on the stage now, kissed ass and played games!
I am going to kick ass and take names!
Now come sit at this card table with me.
Where talk is cheap and whiskey is the drink for real men playing red-dog....
So shut up and lets deal.. :laugh::laugh::laugh:--Tyr

NightTrain
01-04-2017, 12:37 PM
It sounds strange in respect to the USA. Doesn't it?

It does.

Too many frivolous and stupid programs are eating our money. We send way too much money to countries in aid - and they hate us anyway. Compassion is one thing, but not when we have important projects to take care of domestically - like our Vets, or our own poor, or upgrading our voting system to eliminate fraud, or rebuilding highways & bridges, etc etc etc.

After we take care of American interests, THEN we can talk about helping out other nations that would like free money.

Balu
01-04-2017, 12:46 PM
I know it. But it means that American cars ceased to be competitive if they prefer others not only in international markets but also in the US itself. Is it normal to loose traditional foreign markets because of being unable to meet their changing demands?

Balu
01-04-2017, 12:50 PM
It does.

Too many frivolous and stupid programs are eating our money. We send way too much money to countries in aid - and they hate us anyway. Compassion is one thing, but not when we have important projects to take care of domestically - like our Vets, or our own poor, or upgrading our voting system to eliminate fraud, or rebuilding highways & bridges, etc etc etc.

After we take care of American interests, THEN we can talk about helping out other nations that would like free money.
I bet you voted for Trump i.e. for the USA prosperous future. :slap:

Black Diamond
01-04-2017, 12:53 PM
I know it. But it means that American cars ceased to be competitive if they prefer others not only in international markets but also in the US itself. Is it normal to loose traditional foreign markets because of being unable to meet their changing demands?

The American auto industry refused to change period. Ego can be one's undoing.

Balu
01-04-2017, 12:56 PM
The American auto industry refused to change period. Ego can be one's undoing.

It's a pity, but it seems you are right.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-04-2017, 12:58 PM
I've thought about that quite a bit. The Japanese simply put out a superior product with their small cars. More reliable by a long shot & more fuel efficient. There are a lot of 4x4 Toyota & Nissan trucks running around too, and I have a Honda 4x4 SUV in my fleet. The Japanese came to dominate the foreign car market because they surpassed American quality years ago and that's a natural result of things.

Even with small engines - nothing can stand up to a Honda, that's what powers my generator up at the cabin. Briggs & Stratton is a junk motor. Tecumseh is junk. The closest in quality would have been the Wisconsin Robin, but they were bought by Subaru. I'd gladly support any American small engine that was even in the ballpark as far as quality, but there isn't any American contender.

Polaris makes a great small engine for their snowmachines & ATVs that is world class... so that's something.

The fact that NASA gave up on building rockets and the like is a tragedy. The Space Program is a matter of national pride, but it's terrifically expensive. We should be building and riding our own rockets to space, and the private rocket industry is not quite there yet. They're close, though.

NASA gave up,and we all should be asking the why?
Check this out, I have mentioned it before both here and elsewhere.

Helium3

http://www.explainingthefuture.com/helium3.html

You are in: Future Technologies : Helium-3 Power Generation
Helium-3 Power Generation

Helium-3 (He3) is gas that has the potential to be used as a fuel in future nuclear fusion power plants. There is very little helium-3 available on the Earth. However, there are thought to be significant supplies on the Moon. Several governments have subsequently signalled their intention to go to the Moon to mine helium-3 as a fuel supply. Such plans may come to fruition within the next two to three decades and trigger a new Space Race.

In addition to the information below, you can also find out more about this topic in my Mining the Moon video or in my BBC interview here. There is also a good article by Fabrizio Bozzato in this June 2014 article for The Diplomat, which in turn is based on his extensive and excellent paper here. There is also a very good recent article here.

You may also want to checkout my broader page on resources from space.
Helium-3 and Nuclear Fusion

To provide a little background -- and without getting deeply into the science -- all nuclear power plants use a nuclear reaction to produce heat. This is used to turn water into steam that then drives a turbine to produce electricity. Current nuclear power plants have nuclear fission reactors in which uranium nuclei are split part. This releases energy, but also radioactivity and spent nuclear fuel that is reprocessed into uranium, plutonium and radioactive waste which has to be safety stored, effectively indefinitely. An overview of this nuclear fuel cycle can be found here.

For over 40 years scientists have been working to create nuclear power from nuclear fusion rather than nuclear fission. In current nuclear fusion reactors, the hydrogen isotopes tritium and deuterium are used as the fuel, with atomic energy released when their nuclei fuse to create helium and a neutron. Nuclear fusion effectively makes use of the same energy source that fuels the Sun and other stars, and does not produce the radioactivity and nuclear waste that is the by-product of current nuclear fission power generation. However, the so-termed "fast" neutrons released by nuclear fusion reactors fuelled by tritium and deuterium lead to significant energy loss and are extremely difficult to contain. One potential solution may be to use helium-3 and deuterium as the fuels in "aneutronic" (power without neutrons) fusion reactors. The involved nuclear reaction here when helium-3 and deuterium fuse creates normal helium and a proton, which wastes less energy and is easier to contain. Nuclear fusion reactors using helium-3 could therefore provide a highly efficient form of nuclear power with virtually no waste and no radiation. A short wall chart explaining this in more detail can be found here. The aforementioned fission and fusion nuclear reactions are also illustrated in animations in my Mining the Moon video.

Mining Helium-3 on the Moon

One of many problems associated with using helium-3 to create energy via nuclear fusion is that, at least on the Earth, helium-3 is very, very rare indeed. Helium-3 is produced as a by-product of the maintenance of nuclear weapons, which could net a supply of around 15Kg a year. Helium-3 is, however, emitted by the Sun within its solar winds. Our atmosphere prevents any of this helium-3 arriving on the Earth. However, as it does not have an atmosphere, there is nothing to stop helium-3 arriving on the surface of the Moon and being absorbed by the lunar soil. As a result, it has been estimated that there are around 1,100,000 metric tonnes of helium-3 on the surface of the Moon down to a depth of a few metres. This helium-3 could potentially be extracted by heating the lunar dust to around 600 degrees C, before bringing it back to the Earth to fuel a new generation of nuclear fusion power plants.

As reported in an Artemis Project paper, about 25 tonnes of helium-3 -- or a fully-loaded Space Shuttle cargo bay's worth -- could power the United States for a year. This means that helium-3 has a potential economic value in the order of $3bn a tonne -- making it the only thing remotely economically viable to consider mining from the Moon given current and likely-near-future space travel technologies and capabilities.

Due to the above it is perhaps hardly surprising that a serious interest is being taken in lunar helium-3. In 2006 Nikolai Sevastyanov, head of the Russian space corporation Energia, was reported to have said that Russia is planning to mine lunar helium-3, with a permanent Moon base to be established by 2015 and industrial-scale helium-3 production to commence by 2020. This clearly is not going to happen! American plans from the early noughties to "establish a permanent base on one of the Moon's poles by 2024", with helium-3 signalled as one of the reasons behind this mission, are also sadly likely to come to nothing.

The above noted, China's Lunar Exploration Programme is proceeding apace, and is being led by a scientist with a strong belied in potential helium-3 lunar mining. In December 2013, China managed to land a robot lander on the Moon, so successfully completing stage 3 of its Lunar Exploration Programme. By the end of 2017, the fifth and final stage of the current programme has the intention of sending a robotic craft to the Moon that will return lunar rocks to the Earth. If all goes well, a manned programme may follow in the 2020s, so laying the potential foundation for China to mine for helium-3 on the Moon in the 2030s or beyond . . .
A Flower in the Darkness?

The subject of mining helium-3 on the Moon as a fuel for future clean, safe nuclear power plants is a fascinating one that raises many questions. Some of these questions are highly technical, and relate to the feasibility of the involved nuclear physics. Other questions concern the not inconsiderable practicalities associated with getting to the Moon, mining and super-heating large quantities of lunar rock (Space.com have reported a suggestion of roughly one million tons of lunar soil being needed to be mined and processed for every 70 tonnes of helium-3 yield), and then getting the precious cargo back to the Earth. However, the far more interesting questions arguably relate to why this is a topic that is receiving so little media and public attention.

As noted above, several of the largest governments on the planet have on various occasions made announcements that they are either actively considering or would like to go to the Moon to mine helium-3. Whether or not the science will actually work, this is surely major news. Given that public debates concerning the construction of future nuclear fission power plants and even wind farms now rage with great vigour and a high media profile, why helium-3 power plants as part of a potential future energy strategy are rarely if ever even mentioned is exceptionally hard to fathom.

Nobody is trying to hide the potential of future lunar helium-3 power generation. However, like a rose in a dark room, there is a potential danger that something of beauty will fail to gain the light it requires if more attention does not start to be languished on what could end up as a very big part of the solution to Peak Oil and other fossil fuel resource depletion, not to mention climate change.

You may also now want to read and view my broader and more recent content on Resources from Space.

Return to Future Technologies.

************************************************** ************************************************** ********

As reported in an Artemis Project paper, about 25 tonnes of helium-3 -- or a fully-loaded Space Shuttle cargo bay's worth -- could power the United States for a year. This means that helium-3 has a potential economic value in the order of $3bn a tonne -- making it the only thing remotely economically viable to consider mining from the Moon given current and likely-near-future space travel technologies and capabilities.

************************************************** ************************************************** ********

We should be asking why NASA , MADE OTHER PLANS IMHO....
WHY WE SCRAPPED OUR SPACE-SHUTTLES!!
And which nations does that decision benefit...--TYR

fj1200
01-04-2017, 01:08 PM

To the former protectionism will do that. To the latter I say buy American, buy Subaru.

Black Diamond
01-04-2017, 01:12 PM
To the former protectionism will do that. To the latter I say buy American, buy Subaru.

I didn't know Americans had such slanted eyes.

fj1200
01-04-2017, 01:16 PM
I didn't know Americans had such slanted eyes.

Take a trip to Lafayette, IN and tell me what kind of eyes you see. Or Chattanooga, TN, or Smyrna, TN, or Marysville, OH, or Greenville, SC, or Lagrange, GA, or Tuscaloosa, AL... Those last ones not Subaru of course.

Black Diamond
01-04-2017, 01:17 PM

Oh and you misspelled ego. Same was true of US steel.

fj1200
01-04-2017, 01:22 PM
Oh and you misspelled ego. Same was true of US steel.

No doubt. IIRC the guy that turned around Japanese automakers was American and turned away by the Big 3.

Black Diamond
01-04-2017, 01:22 PM
Take a trip to Lafayette, IN and tell me what kind of eyes you see. Or Chattanooga, TN, or Smyrna, TN, or Marysville, OH, or Greenville, SC, or Lagrange, GA, or Tuscaloosa, AL... Those last ones not Subaru of course.

Who calls the shots? And more importantly where does most of the money go? Japan.

Black Diamond
01-04-2017, 01:23 PM
No doubt. IIRC the guy that turned around Japanese automakers was American and turned away by the Big 3.

Yes. You're absolutely correct. Deming.

Balu
01-04-2017, 01:25 PM

What can you tell about German, Korean and Chinese? http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/blush2.gif

Black Diamond
01-04-2017, 01:25 PM
Who calls the shots? And more importantly where does most of the money go? Japan.

Actually it would be interesting to see how much money is generated in Japan by the big wigs vs the autoworkers in America who work for their companies.

fj1200
01-04-2017, 01:26 PM

Not really. Money is invested and reinvested all over, those last 3 were German and S. Korean btw. Most of the automakers design studios were in CA and probably still there. We want manufacturing jobs right? It doesn't seem to matter to some local communities who the automakers is if they'll bring jobs and investment.

Black Diamond
01-04-2017, 01:26 PM
What can you tell about German, Korean and Chinese? http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/blush2.gif

I think you mean Japan.

fj1200
01-04-2017, 01:28 PM
Yes. You're absolutely correct. Deming.

I couldn't remember. Thanks.

About???

Actually it would be interesting to see how much money is generated in Japan by the big wigs vs the autoworkers in America who work for their companies.

Not sure I understand the comment.

Black Diamond
01-04-2017, 01:31 PM
Not really. Money is invested and reinvested all over, those last 3 were German and S. Korean btw. Most of the automakers design studios were in CA and probably still there. We want manufacturing jobs right? It doesn't seem to matter to some local communities who the automakers is if they'll bring jobs and investment.

Tuscaloosa being Mercedes?

I am in Michigan where people hate Japanese car companies. (although the hatred isn't what it once was, at least in the West side of the state) so I am used to discussing Japan.

fj1200
01-04-2017, 01:34 PM
Tuscaloosa being Mercedes?

I am in Michigan where people hate Japanese car companies. (although the hatred isn't what it once was, at least in the West side of the state) so I am used to discussing Japan.

Yes, Mercedes. Greenville was BMW.

I was raised in Kalamazoo and went to Michigan State but down here for quite some time. I see plenty of foreign cars when I go back home but I don't spend much time on the Detroit side. I don't think my parents have owned domestic since a Chevette but they just bought a Camry which very well could have been made in OH.

Balu
01-04-2017, 01:39 PM
I think you mean Japan.
No.
GB, Germany, France and Italy have their own 'school' and traditions in car manufacturing industry to be a good teachers for many and many. http://s19.rimg.info/aee19e2775457d135efdf745e7d94e15.gif (http://smayliki.ru/smilie-1224821991.html)
And now I'll tell you one thing, which may surprise you greatly - Russian constructed and put into production "Niva" 4x4 which became the ancestor of a new Class - Frameless design SUVs.

Black Diamond
01-04-2017, 01:41 PM
I couldn't remember. Thanks.

About???

Not sure I understand the comment.

Having a plant in a town creates a ripple effect. Those honda auto workers buy goods in Marysville for example.

The big wigs who run Honda spend their money in Japan.....

Which ripple effect is larger?

fj1200
01-04-2017, 01:44 PM
No.
GB, Germany, France and Italy have their own 'school' and traditions in car manufacturing industry to be a good teachers for many and many. http://s19.rimg.info/aee19e2775457d135efdf745e7d94e15.gif (http://smayliki.ru/smilie-1224821991.html)
And now I'll tell you one thing, which may surprise you greatly - Russian constructed and put into production "Niva" 4x4 which became the ancestor of a new Class - Frameless design SUVs.

The Germans didn't need any help. My guess would be that Korea and China imported their expertise from the West at least initially.

Interesting tidbit. An East Germany engineer perfected the two-stroke engine IIRC. No patent protection for you. /soupnazi

fj1200
01-04-2017, 01:48 PM
Having a plant in a town creates a ripple effect. Those honda auto workers buy goods in Marysville for example.

That would depend on margins I would guess. There are many ripples, design, engineering, manufacturing, profit, etc. I would say manufacturing is one of the bigger ripples in a manufacturing/capital, labor intensive business. I would say the manufacturing ripple would be less for say an iPhone which is mostly engineering. Much of this is a moot point IMO because of the benefits of free trade.

Black Diamond
01-04-2017, 01:49 PM
No.

What I mean is I am unaware of any Chinese cars sold in America.

Balu
01-04-2017, 02:07 PM
What I mean is I am unaware of any Chinese cars sold in America.

An interesting article, I think...

Why GM is importing a Buick from China

http://l2.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/ElurIC9UBCudMD5rWtR9yw--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9NzIwO2g9NDgwO2lsPX BsYW5l/http://media.zenfs.com/en-US/cms/autos/Boldride/00-buick-envision.jpg

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-gm-is-importing-a-buick-from-china-130758915.html

fj1200
01-04-2017, 02:23 PM

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-gm-is-importing-a-buick-from-china-130758915.html

GM says it wasn’t even sure it would sell the Envision in the United States when it made plans to build it several years ago. The vehicle was designed for the Chinese market, where Buick is a sales leader and GM’s top brand. Initial sales targets for the Chinese market were less than 100,000 units per year, but GM has sold nearly 150,000 since the Envision went on sale early about 12 months ago.

Buick is big in China.

fj1200
01-04-2017, 02:26 PM

To BD:

GM is borrowing talking points from Apple, as well. Executives frequently point out that while the Envision is built in China, it was completely designed in Michigan -- just as Apple says the iPhone is assembled in China but designed in California. The bet seems to be that American buyers will approve of the high-end brainwork being done at home, even if the manual labor comes from overseas.

Buick hopes to sell 30,000 to 40,000 Envisions per year in the United States, a relatively modest number. If reviews are strong and sales boom, GM could start to build the crossover at a North American plant as well, since there comes a point in manufacturing where it’s more efficient to set up an assembly line where you sell the car than to bear the cost of shipping it halfway across the world. So it may be U.S. car buyers who ultimately determine if the Envision gets made in America.

jimnyc
01-04-2017, 03:01 PM
The sheriff leaving on the stage now, kissed ass and played games!
I am going to kick ass and take names!

That right there cracked me up. :)

While I don't think Ford made their decision 100% solely on Trump or a single "threat" - there is no doubt that they are figuring his plans into the future. And even if not entirely, it's still either jobs remaining, or new jobs being created, and that's of course a good thing. And I think they won't be the only company taking things that Trump is planning into consideration. :)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-04-2017, 07:45 PM
That right there cracked me up. :)

While I don't think Ford made their decision 100% solely on Trump or a single "threat" - there is no doubt that they are figuring his plans into the future. And even if not entirely, it's still either jobs remaining, or new jobs being created, and that's of course a good thing. And I think they won't be the only company taking things that Trump is planning into consideration. :)
Trust me on this..
They know that Trump has got their ffing number and that scares the flavor out of their damn fruit looooooooooooooooops! :laugh:
So they being greedy bastards decided to jump before a loaded 45 six-shooter(Trump packs two), shot a hot piece of lead into their sorry asses!
We all know what lilly-livered cowards they are.-Tyr

Gunny
01-04-2017, 09:39 PM
Japanese/foreign metal is cheap. It did however destroy our steel industry. That and a bunch of save the planet types. I used to could sit on my car at the drive in and not worry about a thing. If I tried that now I'd probably cave the damned thing in. I can dent a Jap car with one finger. THAT is the difference.

Elessar
01-04-2017, 10:10 PM

I'll stick with my GMC Yukon.....

Elessar
01-04-2017, 10:12 PM
It does.

Money needs to stay here, in the 50 states and territories.

This foreign aid is a bunch of crap. Fix us and then lend a hand.

Elessar
01-04-2017, 10:17 PM
Japanese/foreign metal is cheap. It did however destroy our steel industry. That and a bunch of save the planet types. I used to could sit on my car at the drive in and not worry about a thing. If I tried that now I'd probably cave the damned thing in. I can dent a Jap car with one finger. THAT is the difference.

Try that with my old International Scout. Might stove that finger and it was tougher than anything on the road in that era.:laugh:
If they were still being built, bet your ass I would have one.

It did, however, destroy our steel industry as you said. Japan's and China's are both inferior to what WE and the Germans produced.

Black Diamond
01-04-2017, 11:15 PM
I'll stick with my GMC Yukon.....

XL?

Gunny
01-05-2017, 01:02 AM
Try that with my old International Scout. Might stove that finger and it was tougher than anything on the road in that era.:laugh:

It did, however, destroy our steel industry as you said. Japan's and China's are both inferior to what WE and the Germans produced.

My ass I'd try that on old school steel. Had this saying back in my 4-wheeler days : "bulletproof". Scouts were in the club.

Problem is some yuppies like Obama got their hands on 4-wheelers and turned them into glorified cars. You guy a 4-wheeler now, plan on spending a few grand turning it back into one.

fj1200
01-05-2017, 11:19 AM

You'd probably push your finger right through the rust spot. :poke: But let's get back to the theme of the day:

Big Government; Yay!

Elessar
01-05-2017, 03:00 PM
XL?

Nope! SLT. It handles and rides like a dream. Pretty good mileage for being
close to 3 tons and with a 5.3 V8 under the hood.

NightTrain
01-05-2017, 03:12 PM
Nope! SLT. It handles and rides like a dream. Pretty good mileage for being
close to 3 tons and with a 5.3 V* under the hood.

I wanted to get my wife a Yukon like that, but she chose the Jeep instead.

...And what the lil wifey wants, NT delivers if he knows what's good for him.