PDA

View Full Version : GOP May Take CA Electoral College Vote in 08

red states rule
08-01-2007, 05:29 AM
In many states, Dems have been passing laws to change the "winner take all" rule of Electoral College votes. Libs say it is only fair since not all people vote for the popular vote winner.

However, when Republicans do the same thing in the bluce state of CA, libs are having a temper tanturm

Calif. GOP Challenges Electoral College

A prominent Republican lawyer wants to put a proposal on the California ballot next year that could shake up the 2008 presidential contest to his party's advantage.

California awards its 55 electoral votes to the statewide winner — the largest single prize in the nation. But under the proposal, the statewide winner would get only two electoral votes. The rest would be distributed to the winning candidate in each of the state's congressional districts. In effect, that would create 53 races, each with one electoral vote up for grabs.

The state voted Democratic in the past four presidential elections. But the change — if it qualifies for one of two primary ballots early next year and is approved by voters — would mean a Republican would be positioned the following November to win about 20 electoral votes in Republican-leaning districts. That is a number equal to winning Ohio.

The Presidential Election Reform Act is being pushed by Thomas Hiltachk, a lawyer in a Sacramento firm that represents the California Republican Party and worked with Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. He did not return phone messages left yesterday at his office. A Schwarzenegger spokeswoman said the governor is not involved with the proposed initiative.

Democratic consultant Chris Lehane called the plan "an effort to rig the system in order to fix the election."

"If this change is made, it will virtually guarantee that a Republican wins the White House in 2008," Mr. Lehane said in an e-mail.

Nineteen of the state's 53 congressional districts are represented by Republicans. President Bush carried 22 districts in 2004, while losing the statewide vote by double digits. Maine and Nebraska now allocate electoral votes by congressional district.

A draft of the proposed initiative says nixing the winner-take-all system would give presidential candidates "an incentive to campaign in California. ... Many of the geographic areas of the state would be as important to a candidate's chance for victory as many of the smaller states."

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2007/7/31/73954.shtml?s=lh

red states rule
08-01-2007, 06:57 AM
Seem to me, we may be getting back to the correct rules of the election:

"Clause 3: The Electors shall meet in their respective States, and vote by Ballot for two Persons, of whom one at least shall not be an Inhabitant of the same State with themselves. And they shall make a List of all the Persons voted for, and of the Number of Votes for each; which List they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the Seat of the Government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate. The President of the Senate shall, in the Presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the Certificates, and the Votes shall then be counted. The Person having the greatest Number of Votes shall be the President,"

United States Constitution

08-01-2007, 07:08 AM
Its quite ironic the way the GOP is using the Democrat tactic against them. However, i still think its a bad idea.

red states rule
08-01-2007, 07:09 AM
Its quite ironic the way the GOP is using the Democrat tactic against them. However, i still think its a bad idea.

I like it as well. Watching the libs have a fit is fun to watch

However, if they follow the US Constitution I do not have a problem with it

actsnoblemartin
08-01-2007, 09:01 AM
wah wah :P. hehehe

theHawk
08-01-2007, 09:41 AM
It would be nice to see the big blue states broken up, so that people's votes will actually matter, but it should be all states or none. Of course if every state was broken up I would think the Dems would lose by a landslide every election.

Black Lance
08-01-2007, 12:54 PM
It would be nice to see the big blue states broken up, so that people's votes will actually matter, but it should be all states or none. Of course if every state was broken up I would think the Dems would lose by a landslide every election.

Agreed. If big cities like Detroit and Chicago couldn't decide entire states the DNC would be utterly lost.

red states rule
08-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Agreed. If big cities like Detroit and Chicago couldn't decide entire states the DNC would be utterly lost.

or Baltimore