PDA

View Full Version : Active shooter FT. Lauderdale

CSM
01-06-2017, 03:03 PM
ongoing... 5 dead

NightTrain
01-06-2017, 03:24 PM
5 dead, 8 wounded.

Suspect is a 30-ish male with dark hair.

NightTrain
01-06-2017, 03:29 PM
Esteban Santiago, and he has a military ID.

CSM
01-06-2017, 03:49 PM
Now saying he flew in from Alaska.

Kathianne
01-06-2017, 03:54 PM
Heard he was on Canadian airplane, had checked weapon via military ID, got off flight, got bag, went into restroom and loaded gun, came out shooting.

NightTrain
01-06-2017, 04:25 PM
I'm not positive, but I don't think Air Canada flies from AK. Getting a flight from AK to Canada and down to FL seems pretty weird - you can get a straight shot from Anchorage to St. Louis or Denver or Salt Lake City and then make the jump to FL.

But who knows - maybe he was trying to hide his tracks or something. Obviously wasn't right in the head.

Kathianne
01-06-2017, 04:30 PM
I'm not positive, but I don't think Air Canada flies from AK. Getting a flight from AK to Canada and down to FL seems pretty weird - you can get a straight shot from Anchorage to St. Louis or Denver or Salt Lake City and then make the jump to FL.

But who knows - maybe he was trying to hide his tracks or something. Obviously wasn't right in the head.

Just saw this, seems he is from NJ, went to AK then to Canada. Then to FL, where he may now live:

http://www.abc15.com/news/national/what-we-know-about-esteban-santiago-suspected-shooter-at-the-fort-lauderdale-airport

Authorities have arrested Esteban Santiago, a 26-year-old man from New Jersey, in connection with a mass shooting that left at least five people dead Friday at the Fort Lauderdale Airport.

Officials with the Broward County Sheriff's Office believe he acted alone.

According to NBC News, Santiago had military ID on him during the time of the shooting. He is believed to be living in Lake Mary, Florida — a northern suburb of Orlando, Florida.

NBC also reports that Santiago was returning to Florida after a trip from Alaska via a stop in Canada. His weapon stored in a check bag. After retrieving his luggage from the baggage claim, Santiago loaded his gun in the bathroom and came out firing...

Abbey Marie
01-06-2017, 04:32 PM
So, checked bag X-ray fail?

pete311
01-06-2017, 04:34 PM

Looks like you guys got two things in common

Kathianne
01-06-2017, 04:42 PM

I think he had been allowed to have unloaded gun in checked bag, because he had a military ID and must have had a reason ready that was among the 'allowed' reasons to do so. Police officers traveling for work can also have gun checked.

Now of course, new protests will be underway because of this regarding guns.

Abbey Marie
01-06-2017, 04:43 PM

So, what fine state do you live in, Pete?

pete311
01-06-2017, 04:45 PM
So, what fine state do you live in, Pete?

Wisconsin! Home of the 2017 super bowl winning packers!

NightTrain
01-06-2017, 04:58 PM

No, you can ship firearms in a checked bag. They have to be unloaded, locked with padlocks after inspection, then the TSA agent puts a seal on it.

No big deal... or it wasn't, til now. I expect a firearm no-fly rule to be implemented in usual knee-jerk reaction to this.

NightTrain
01-06-2017, 04:59 PM

What would those commonalities comprise, Petey?

NightTrain
01-06-2017, 05:00 PM
I think he had been allowed to have unloaded gun in checked bag, because he had a military ID and must have had a reason ready that was among the 'allowed' reasons to do so. Police officers traveling for work can also have gun checked.

Now of course, new protests will be underway because of this regarding guns.

No, everyone is allowed to check firearms on Alaska Airlines... not sure about the other airlines.

Kathianne
01-06-2017, 05:05 PM
No, everyone is allowed to check firearms on Alaska Airlines... not sure about the other airlines.

Looks like you're correct, thanks. Everything I'm reading has mentioned the military ID in association with gun, thus my inference:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Transporting Firearms and Ammunition

You may transport unloaded firearms in a locked hard-sided container as checked baggage only. Declare the firearm and/or ammunition to the airline when checking your bag at the ticket counter. The container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be easily opened are not permitted. Be aware that the container the firearm was in when purchased may not adequately secure the firearm when it is transported in checked baggage.

Contact the TSA Contact Center with questions you have regarding TSA firearm regulations and for clarification on what you may or may not transport in your carry-on or checked baggage.

Firearms

When traveling, comply with the laws concerning possession of firearms as they vary by local, state and international governments.
Declare each firearm each time you present it for transport as checked baggage. Ask your airline about limitations or fees that may apply.
Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock.

Firearm parts, including magazines, clips, bolts and firing pins, are prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.

Replica firearms, including firearm replicas that are toys, may be transported in checked baggage only.
Rifle scopes are permitted in carry-on and checked baggage.

United States Code, Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 44, firearm definitions includes: any weapon (including a starter gun) which will, or is designed to, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; and any destructive device. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm.

Ammunition

Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.

Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).

Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm.

NightTrain
01-06-2017, 05:09 PM
Looks like you're correct, thanks. Everything I'm reading has mentioned the military ID in association with gun, thus my inference:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Yep, I've done it a zillion times, and friends & family that come to visit are usually bringing their favorite weapons with them.

The other route is finding a gun dealer shipping directly to another gun dealer... and that's a pain in the butt. And expensive. And slow.

pete311
01-06-2017, 05:10 PM
What would those commonalities comprise, Petey?
Alaska and something wrong with your head

NightTrain
01-06-2017, 05:21 PM
Alaska and something wrong with your head

My head?

What's wrong with my head, Petey?

Bilgerat
01-06-2017, 05:45 PM
No, you can ship firearms in a checked bag. They have to be unloaded, locked with padlocks after inspection, then the TSA agent puts a seal on it.

No big deal... or it wasn't, til now. I expect a firearm no-fly rule to be implemented in usual knee-jerk reaction to this.

You KNOW that's going to happen

If you're moving around, gonna need a FFL to ship soon.

NightTrain
01-06-2017, 06:03 PM
Apparently he recently walked into the FBI office in Anchorage and told them he was being forced to fight for ISIS.

Hmmm...

Kathianne
01-06-2017, 06:25 PM
Apparently he recently walked into the FBI office in Anchorage and told them he was being forced to fight for ISIS.

Hmmm...
yep:

http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/06/fort-lauderdale-shooter-told-fbi-he-was-forced-to-fight-for-isis/

NightTrain
01-06-2017, 06:35 PM
I had a suspicion we'd see a pic like this :

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9594&stc=1

Prep for unmistakable hints that he was a muzzie about to get sideways and the FBI missed every clue.

Kathianne
01-06-2017, 06:39 PM

Prep for unmistakable hints that he was a muzzie about to get sideways and the FBI missed every clue.

Sounds like we need to hear why he was given a 'general discharge for unsatisfactory performance.' Reminds me of Ft. Hood shooter.

NightTrain
01-06-2017, 06:43 PM
Sounds like we need to hear why he was given a 'general discharge for unsatisfactory performance.' Reminds me of Ft. Hood shooter.

Yep. The Army and FBI are scrambling like hell right now to find out what went wrong before Gowdy has them up on the stand.

This is one ass chewing on C-SPAN that I will watch.

NightTrain
01-06-2017, 11:47 PM
The FBI and Anchorage Police are all over his house in Anchorage, of course.

What the news won't tell you is that he was living in Fairview... the worst part of Anchorage there is. It's riddled with Crack and Meth. Won't surprise me a bit if he's a hardcore druggie.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/crime-courts/2017/01/06/suspect-in-florida-airport-shooting-has-same-name-age-as-anchorage-man/

gabosaurus
01-07-2017, 11:38 AM
If you check, it has zero to do with terrorism. The guy is a veteran with known mental health problems. He was babbling incoherently while talking about "the government forcing him to watch ISIS videos." The FBI was familiar with him. But because the gun nut lobby believes even mentally ill people should have the right to own weapons, the guy could travel with a weapon as his only checked baggage.
Welcome to right-wing America.

CSM
01-07-2017, 04:23 PM
If you check, it has zero to do with terrorism. The guy is a veteran with known mental health problems. He was babbling incoherently while talking about "the government forcing him to watch ISIS videos." The FBI was familiar with him. But because the gun nut lobby believes even mentally ill people should have the right to own weapons, the guy could travel with a weapon as his only checked baggage.
Welcome to right-wing America.

Yep you got it. In fact, that is exactly what the gun nut lobby wants .... heck, they even want YOU to have the right to own weapons. Crazy, I know!!!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-07-2017, 07:14 PM

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9594&stc=1

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/justinholcomb/2017/01/06/fbi-had-formal-sitdown-interview-with-shooter-last-year-turned-him-over-to-local-police-n2267938

FBI Had Formal Interview with Shooter Last Year, Turned Him Over to Local Police

FBI Had Formal Interview with Shooter Last Year, Turned Him Over to Local Police
Justin Holcomb
Justin Holcomb
|
Posted: Jan 06, 2017 7:25 PM

The FBI had a formal interview with alleged gunman Estaban Santiago, the 26-year-old airline passenger accused of shooting up a baggage claim area at the Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood airport Friday, in November of 2016 according to Fox News. He told agents at an Anchorage field office that he was being forced to watch ISIS videos.

The sources told Fox News that Santiago thought US intelligence had infiltrated his mind and were forcing him to watch ISIS propaganda videos.

The FBI did not investigate the case any further after the interview and instead called local authorities who took custody of him and brought him to a local hospital for a welfare check.

How many times must we see how authorities hand prior knowledge/experience with these ffing vermin and did nothing!!??--Tyr

gabosaurus
01-07-2017, 08:35 PM
How many times must we see how authorities hand prior knowledge/experience with these ffing vermin and did nothing!!??--Tyr

You want the FBI to arrest all mentally ill people?
My question is -- why are mentally ill people allowed to own weapons?
Also -- why is a person known to have mental problems allowed to board a plane when his only piece of luggage is a gun? Perhaps it's an Alaskan Airlines thing.

Kathianne
01-10-2017, 04:51 PM
Well PTSD or not, the problems started long before.

I wondered at the reticience of FBI to just chalk this up to mental illness, now there's some explanation:

http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2017/01/airport-shooter-converted-islam-identified-aashiq-hammad-years-joining-army/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=corruption+chronicles&utm_medium=social

Airport Shooter Converted to Islam, Identified as Aashiq Hammad Years Before Joining Army (http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2017/01/airport-shooter-converted-islam-identified-aashiq-hammad-years-joining-army/)JANUARY 10, 2017

The Ft. Lauderdale Airport shooter is a Muslim convert who years before joining the U.S. Army took on an Islamic name (Aashiq Hammad), downloaded terrorist propaganda and recorded Islamic religious music online, according to public records (http://gotnews.com/breaking-records-suggest-fortlauderdale-shooter-estebansantiago-puerto-rican-islamic-terrorist-anime-fan/) dug up by the investigative news site of an award-winning, California journalist. This is pertinent information that the Obama administration apparently wants to keep quiet, bringing up memories of the Benghazi cover up, in which the president and his cohorts knowingly lied to conceal that Islamic terrorists attacked the U.S. Special Mission in Libya.

Information is slowly trickling out that links the Ft. Lauderdale Airport shooter to radical Islam while the official story from authorities is that the gunman is a mentally ill, Hispanic Army veteran named Esteban Santiago that became unhinged after a tour in Iraq. Only one mainstream media outlet mentions the possibility of Santiago’s “jihadist identity,” (http://abcnews.go.com/US/santiagos-terror-ticket-fort-lauderdale/story?id=44648391) burying it in a piece about New York possibly being his initial target. A paragraph deep in the story mentions that investigators recovered Santiago’s computer from a pawn shop and the FBI is examining it to determine whether he created a “jihadist identity for himself using the name Aashiq Hammad…” The reset of the traditional mainstream media coverage promotes the government rhetoric that omits any ties to terrorism even though early on a photo surfaced of Santiago making an ISIS salute while wearing a keffiyeh, a Palestinian Arab scarf.

The public records uncovered in the days after the massacre suggest Santiago (Hammad) is a radical Islamic terrorist that’s seriously committed to Islam. Besides taking on a Muslim name, he recorded three Islamic religious songs, including the Muslim declaration faith (“there is no God but Allah and Muhammad is his messenger”) known as the Shahada. He also posted a thread about downloading propaganda videos from Islamic terrorists on a weapons and explosives forum. The investigative news site that unearthed this disturbing information connected the dots between Santiago, who is of Puerto Rican descent, and Hammad, an identity he created in 2007.

This week a prominent Ft. Lauderdale businessman and longtime resident addressed a letter to the city’s mayor and commissioners blasting county and federal officials for covering up that “Aashiq Hammad, not Esteban Santiago, attacked our city and county.” The businessman, respected Ft. Lauderdale real estate entrepreneur Jim Morlock, specifically names Broward County’s elected sheriff Scott Israel, Florida senator Bill Nelson, the first to identify Santiago as the shooter on national television, and congressman Debbie Wasserman Schultz, ousted last summer as Democratic National Committee (DNC) chair over a scandalous plot to damage Bernie Sanders during the primary.

“Since when does a US Senator (Bill Nelson), not law enforcement, be the one to so quickly release this terrorist’s Hispanic name but nothing about his more relevant Islamic background?” the letter asks. Obama must have told Sen. Nelson to keep this from looking like a Muslim Terrorist attack during the last 12 days of his watch. Bad for his legacy.” Morlock goes on to state that it’s “better to portray this atrocity as white Hispanic Alaskan mental Iraq war vet gun violence.” The real estate entrepreneur proceeds to reveal that Santiago lives in walking distance to the only mosque in Alaska, was radicalized before he entered the military and was knowingly allowed to serve despite his Islamic sympathies thanks to “Obama’s PC military.”

The letter poses interesting questions, including why this Muslim terrorist chose Ft. Lauderdale out of all the nation’s airports and who Santiago knows in Broward county, which has a large and growing Islamic community. In 2015 Judicial Watch obtained records (http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2015/03/jw-gets-records-that-show-al-qaeda-terrorist-may-have-been-govt-source/) from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) that show and Al Qaeda terrorist who helped plan several U.S. attacks lived in Broward County and graduated from the local community college with a degree in computer engineering. His name is Adnan G. El Shukrijumah, but he also had a Hispanic identity, Javier Robles, and for years he appeared on the FBI’s most wanted list. Back in 2012 Judicial Watch reported (http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2012/11/cair-wants-public-schools-to-close-on-islamic-holy-days/) on a terrorist front group’s demands that Broward County public schools close twice a year to celebrate Islamic holy days, illustrating the influence that Muslims have in the region.

jimnyc
01-10-2017, 10:00 PM
If you check, it has zero to do with terrorism.

Airport Shooter Converted to Islam, Identified as Aashiq Hammad Years Before Joining Army

The Ft. Lauderdale Airport shooter is a Muslim convert who years before joining the U.S. Army took on an Islamic name (Aashiq Hammad), downloaded terrorist propaganda and recorded Islamic religious music online, according to public records dug up by the investigative news site of an award-winning, California journalist. This is pertinent information that the Obama administration apparently wants to keep quiet, bringing up memories of the Benghazi cover up, in which the president and his cohorts knowingly lied to conceal that Islamic terrorists attacked the U.S. Special Mission in Libya.

Information is slowly trickling out that links the Ft. Lauderdale Airport shooter to radical Islam while the official story from authorities is that the gunman is a mentally ill, Hispanic Army veteran named Esteban Santiago that became unhinged after a tour in Iraq. Only one mainstream media outlet mentions the possibility of Santiago’s “jihadist identity,” burying it in a piece about New York possibly being his initial target. A paragraph deep in the story mentions that investigators recovered Santiago’s computer from a pawn shop and the FBI is examining it to determine whether he created a “jihadist identity for himself using the name Aashiq Hammad…” The reset of the traditional mainstream media coverage promotes the government rhetoric that omits any ties to terrorism even though early on a photo surfaced of Santiago making an ISIS salute while wearing a keffiyeh, a Palestinian Arab scarf.

The public records uncovered in the days after the massacre suggest Santiago (Hammad) is a radical Islamic terrorist that’s seriously committed to Islam. Besides taking on a Muslim name, he recorded three Islamic religious songs, including the Muslim declaration faith (“there is no God but Allah and Muhammad is his messenger”) known as the Shahada. He also posted a thread about downloading propaganda videos from Islamic terrorists on a weapons and explosives forum. The investigative news site that unearthed this disturbing information connected the dots between Santiago, who is of Puerto Rican descent, and Hammad, an identity he created in 2007.

Rest here - http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2017/01/airport-shooter-converted-islam-identified-aashiq-hammad-years-joining-army/

jimnyc
01-10-2017, 10:01 PM
Well PTSD or not, the problems started long before.

I wondered at the reticience of FBI to just chalk this up to mental illness, now there's some explanation:

http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2017/01/airport-shooter-converted-islam-identified-aashiq-hammad-years-joining-army/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=corruption+chronicles&utm_medium=social

Shoot, didn't see your post!! :)

Little-Acorn
01-10-2017, 10:14 PM
Is anyone surprised to learn that the slime who murdered 6 people at the Ft. Lauderdale airport for no known reason, was just another radical Islamic terrorist?

------------------------------------------------

http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2017/01/airport-shooter-converted-islam-identified-aashiq-hammad-years-joining-army/

Airport Shooter Converted to Islam, Identified as Aashiq Hammad Years Before Joining Army

JANUARY 10, 2017

The Ft. Lauderdale Airport shooter is a Muslim convert who years before joining the U.S. Army took on an Islamic name (Aashiq Hammad), downloaded terrorist propaganda and recorded Islamic religious music online, according to public records dug up by the investigative news site of an award-winning, California journalist. This is pertinent information that the Obama administration apparently wants to keep quiet, bringing up memories of the Benghazi cover up, in which the president and his cohorts knowingly lied to conceal that Islamic terrorists attacked the U.S. Special Mission in Libya.

Information is slowly trickling out that links the Ft. Lauderdale Airport shooter to radical Islam while the official story from authorities is that the gunman is a mentally ill, Hispanic Army veteran named Esteban Santiago that became unhinged after a tour in Iraq. Only one mainstream media outlet mentions the possibility of Santiago’s “jihadist identity,” burying it in a piece about New York possibly being his initial target. A paragraph deep in the story mentions that investigators recovered Santiago’s computer from a pawn shop and the FBI is examining it to determine whether he created a “jihadist identity for himself using the name Aashiq Hammad…” The reset of the traditional mainstream media coverage promotes the government rhetoric that omits any ties to terrorism even though early on a photo surfaced of Santiago making an ISIS salute while wearing a keffiyeh, a Palestinian Arab scarf.

This week a prominent Ft. Lauderdale businessman and longtime resident addressed a letter to the city’s mayor and commissioners blasting county and federal officials for covering up that “Aashiq Hammad, not Esteban Santiago, attacked our city and county.” The businessman, respected Ft. Lauderdale real estate entrepreneur Jim Morlock, specifically names Broward County’s elected sheriff Scott Israel, Florida senator Bill Nelson, the first to identify Santiago as the shooter on national television, and congressman Debbie Wasserman Schultz, ousted last summer as Democratic National Committee (DNC) chair over a scandalous plot to damage Bernie Sanders during the primary.

“Since when does a US Senator (Bill Nelson), not law enforcement, be the one to so quickly release this terrorist’s Hispanic name but nothing about his more relevant Islamic background?” the letter asks. Obama must have told Sen. Nelson to keep this from looking like a Muslim Terrorist attack during the last 12 days of his watch. Bad for his legacy.” Morlock goes on to state that it’s “better to portray this atrocity as white Hispanic Alaskan mental Iraq war vet gun violence.” The real estate entrepreneur proceeds to reveal that Santiago lives in walking distance to the only mosque in Alaska, was radicalized before he entered the military and was knowingly allowed to serve despite his Islamic sympathies thanks to “Obama’s PC military.”

The letter poses interesting questions, including why this Muslim terrorist chose Ft. Lauderdale out of all the nation’s airports and who Santiago knows in Broward county, which has a large and growing Islamic community. In 2015 Judicial Watch obtained records from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) that show and Al Qaeda terrorist who helped plan several U.S. attacks lived in Broward County and graduated from the local community college with a degree in computer engineering. His name is Adnan G. El Shukrijumah, but he also had a Hispanic identity, Javier Robles, and for years he appeared on the FBI’s most wanted list. Back in 2012 Judicial Watch reported on a terrorist front group’s demands that Broward County public schools close twice a year to celebrate Islamic holy days, illustrating the influence that Muslims have in the region.

Kathianne
01-10-2017, 10:38 PM
Merged duplicate linked sources.