PDA

View Full Version : GITMO Inamte Begs Not To be Released

red states rule
08-01-2007, 05:54 AM
What a horrible place. Earlier we have had reports that at least 30 people released from club Gitmo have either been captured again or killed fighting against us.

Now we have a GITMO prisoneer begging not to be released and sent back to his home country

Is this another Bush conspiracy to fool people?

Guantanamo cell is better than freedom, says inmate fighting against release

July 31, 2007

Sean O’Neill

An inmate of Guantanamo Bay who spends 22 hours each day in an isolation cell is fighting for the right to stay in the notorious internment camp.

Ahmed Belbacha fears that he will be tortured or killed if the United States goes ahead with plans to return him to his native Algeria.

The Times has learnt that Mr Belbacha, who lived in Britain for three years, has filed an emergency motion at the US Court of Appeals in Washington DC asking for his transfer out of Guantanamo to be halted. He was cleared for release from Camp Delta in February and his lawyers believe that his return to Algerian custody is imminent.

Mr Belbacha says that if he returns to Algeria, he faces the threat of torture by security services and murder by Islamist terrorists.

Zachary Katznelson, senior counsel with the human rights lawyers Reprieve and Mr Belbacha’s lawyer, has asked the US courts to block any transfer. “Ahmed is being held in camp six, the harshest part of Guantanamo,” he said. “His cell is all steel, there are no windows, he is not allowed to communicate with other prisoners and he gets just two hours exercise each day in a metal cage.

“He says his cell in Guantanamo is like a grave and that although it sounds crazy he would rather stay in those conditions than go back to Algeria. The fact is that he is really, really scared about what might happen to him in Algeria.”

Mr Belbacha, 38, fled Algeria in 1999 at the height of the brutal civil war between the Armed Islamic Group (GIA) and the Algerian Government.

He was an accountant for a state-owned oil company, Sonatrach, when he was called for a second spell of military service. The call-up was followed by death threats to him and his family from the GIA, which killed thousands of state employees during the 1990s.

Mr Belbacha went first to France and then to Britain, where he applied for asylum. He was given exceptional leave to remain pending the outcome of his application.

He lived in Bournemouth, Dorset, and worked as a cleaner at the Highcliff Hotel, where he cleaned John Prescott’s room during the 1999 Labour Party conference. The former Deputy Prime Minister left him a thank-you note and a £30 tip.

Mr Belbacha claims that in July 2001 he was persuaded by friends to go to Pakistan to undertake religious study. While there he crossed the border into Afghanistan.

When the US-led invasion began in response to the September 11 attacks he crossed back into Pakistan. He claims that in December 2001 he was apprehended by villagers near Peshawar, in northwest Pakistan, and sold to the authorities for a bounty.

American agents took him to a prison camp near Kandahar where, Mr Belbacha says, he was repeatedly beaten. In March 2002 he was flown to what was then Camp X-Ray at the US naval base in Cuba.

A military tribunal alleged that he had associated with the Taleban in Afghanistan and ruled that his detention was justified. But in February this year the US deemed him fit for release.

Mr Katznelson said: “Even though the Americans say he poses no threat, Ahmed fears that he has the stamp of Guantanamo Bay on him and he will be treated by the authorities as a terrorist if he is returned to Algeria.

“It is a bizarre situation because the reason he left in the first place was because the Islamist terrorists were threatening to kill him.”

Reprieve has asked the British Government to accept Mr Belbacha’s return here, but ministers have repeatedly said that they will intervene only in the cases of Guantanamo detainees who are British citizens.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1874198/posts

red states rule
08-01-2007, 08:42 AM
Real torture
Thomas Lifson

The Bush-haters include alleged use of torture on detainees among their reasons why Amerika is already a fascist state headed toward dictatorship. They should read the accounts coming out from the 5 Bulgarian nurses and one Palestinian doctor recently released by Libya (on bogus charges) through the intervention of President and Mme Sarkozy of France.

Dr. Alhajouj speaks:

"For the first days I was locked up with three dogs who were ordered to attack me. My leg is full of scars and marks from where they bit me [and] I had a big hole in my knee," he said.

Later, he said, wire cable that had been stripped of its plastic coating, was wound round his penis and he was dragged "screaming and crying" across the floor. He was also given electric shocks with a generator-style machine.

"They put the minus cable on my finger and the plus cable on my ear or my genitals. The most painful thing was their ability to increase the speed of the electricity flow. When I fell unconscious they would throw cold water over my naked body and then begin all over again," he said. The torture times were set for between 5pm and 5am and continued for 13 months. The nurses were submitted to similar treatment."
His entire interview with Der Spiegel can be read in translation here. If the press is motivated by real concern over injustice, this will make headlines comparable to those used to publicize Abu Ghraib. If not, draw your own conclusions

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2007/08/real_torture.html

actsnoblemartin
08-01-2007, 08:42 AM
I heard about this, apprently they like the free air conditioning :poke:

red states rule
08-01-2007, 08:45 AM
I heard about this, apprently they like the free air conditioning :poke:

and the food. The inmates have all gained weight

Some torture

actsnoblemartin
08-01-2007, 08:45 AM
you mean they get to eat?. Perish the thought :laugh2:

actsnoblemartin
08-01-2007, 08:46 AM
Gitmo is like a 4 star resort compared to the poverty most of them line in.

red states rule
08-01-2007, 05:54 PM
you mean they get to eat?. Perish the thought :laugh2:

High-Calorie Diet Fattens Gitmo Inmates

By MICHAEL MELIA
The Associated Press
Wednesday, October 4, 2006; 8:25 PM

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -- A high-calorie diet combined with life in the cell block _ almost around the clock in some cases _ is making detainees at Guantanamo Bay fat.

Meals totaling a whopping 4,200 calories per day are brought to their cells, well above the 2,000 to 3,000 calories recommended for weight maintenance by U.S. government dietary guidelines. And some inmates are eating everything on the menu.

One detainee has almost doubled in weight, to 410 pounds, said Navy Cmdr. Robert Durand, spokesman for the detention facilities at Guantanamo, a U.S. Navy station in southeast Cuba.

Human rights groups attribute the weight gain to lack of exercise. They cite accounts of released detainees who complained they were allowed to exercise fewer than three times a week outside their small cells.

But Durand said detainees are simply served a wide variety of food and are expected to choose what appeals to them.

"The detainees are advised that they are offered more food than necessary, to provide choice and variety, and that consuming all the food they are offered will result in weight gain," he said.

Most of the prisoners at Guantanamo picked up in Afghanistan and other conflict zones were slightly underweight when they arrived. Since then, they've gained an average of 20 pounds, and most are now "normal to mildly overweight or mildly obese," according to the most recent measurements, he said.

The meals include meats prepared according to Islamic guidelines, along with fresh bread, vegetables and yogurt. With nearly all detainees fasting in the daytime during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, authorities have arranged for a post-sunset meal and a midnight meal. Traditional desserts and honey also are served during the Ramadan observances.

Even two detainees who have been on a hunger strike for more than a year are at "100 percent ideal body weight," from nutrients fed through tubes inserted in their noses, Durand said.

The calorie intake at Guantanamo is well above the norm for federal inmates in the United States, who receive about 2,900 calories a day, said U.S. Bureau of Prisons spokesman Michael Truman. He said weight gain in the civilian system is not widespread and that most inmates "keep themselves in pretty good shape."

Prisoners at Guantanamo who behave well get more exercise time. The most compliant get up to 12 hours a week, including access to treadmills, stationary bikes and other fitness equipment, Durand said. Guantanamo officials say compliance is gauged solely by whether a detainee follows detention center rules and avoids causing disturbances, and has nothing to do with whether he is providing information to interrogators.

Detainees clashed with guards in May, using fan blades and broken light fixtures as makeshift weapons. Other inmates were recently discovered to be removing springs from sink faucets to use as stabbing weapons, the military says.

for the complete article

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/04/AR2006100401669.html

red states rule
08-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Gitmo is like a 4 star resort compared to the poverty most of them line in.

It is laughable listening to libs about how badly these TERRORISTS are treated

nevadamedic
08-01-2007, 05:56 PM
I say we just hand them all over to the CIA and I can guarantee they wouldn't want to stay in prison.

red states rule
08-01-2007, 06:00 PM
I say we just hand them all over to the CIA and I can guarantee they wouldn't want to stay in prison.

Watching panty wearing libs on TV rant how we mistreat these TERRORISTS is disgusting

They don't mention how they try and attack and kill the guards, or after some are released they are picked up AGAIN on the battlefield

red states rule
08-01-2007, 07:10 PM
AP: Force-feeding Hunger Strikers At Gitmo Medically Unethical
By Noel Sheppard | August 1, 2007 - 15:07 ET

Here's something you don't read every day: force-feeding a hunger striker violates medical ethics.

Hmmm. So, preventing someone from starving to death is medically unethical? Wouldn't it be more unethical to let someone starve to death, even if it is their wish?

After all, suicide is against the law in this country.

Regardless of the odd dichotomy, the Associated Press reported Tuesday (emphasis added, h/t NBer allanf):

Military doctors violate medical ethics when they approve the force-feeding of hunger strikers at the U.S. prison camp at Guantanamo Bay, according to a commentary in a prestigious medical journal.

The doctors should attempt to prevent force-feeding by refusing to participate, the commentary's three authors write in Wednesday's Journal of the American Medical Association.

Fascinating. The article continued:

"In medicine, you can't force treatment on a person who doesn't give their voluntary informed consent," said Dr. Sondra Crosby of Boston University, one of the authors. "A military physician needs to be a physician first and a military officer second, in my opinion."

Interesting. Yet, is nutrition considered treatment, or one of life's necessities? Would doctors in a non-military hospital allow a patient in a non-vegetative state remove his or her feeding tube if it became clear that the patient was suicidal?

Regardless, the AP didn't do a very good job of identifying who Dr. Crosby was, as her bio at Boston University's website indicates that she is the "Director of Medical Services at the Boston Center for Refugee Health and Human Rights."

The AP conveniently ignored that affiliation, and chose not to address this Center at all (from the Center's website, emphasis added):

Through an innovative model of out-patient care, we provide comprehensive medical, mental health, and dental care-coordinated with legal and social services-to over 300 individuals from 67 countries each year. Interpreter services are available for over 30 languages to aid in the healing journey of each patient and their families.

The Center is a member of the National Consortium of Torture Treatment Programs and operates as an interdisciplinary collaboration among clinicians and experts from Boston Medical Center (Departments of Psychiatry, Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Social Work, and Interpreter Services), Boston University (Schools of Medicine, Public Health, Dentistry, and Law), Global Lawyers and Physicians-a non-governmental organization, and the National Center for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Mission
Our mission is to provide comprehensive health care for refugees and survivors of torture and related trauma, coordinated with legal aid and social services. We also exist to educate and train agencies and professionals who serve this patient population, to advocate for the promotion of health and human rights in the United States and worldwide, and to conduct clinical, epidemiological, and legal research for the better understanding and promotion of health and quality of life for survivors of torture and related trauma.

It would have been nice if the AP had informed readers that Crosby works for such an advocate, don't you agree?

As an aside, Crosby also doesn't like animal farms.

—Noel Sheppard is an economist, business owner, and a contributing editor to NewsBusters.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2007/08/01/ap-force-feeding-hunger-strikers-gitmo-medically-unethical