PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing Question

pegwinn
01-30-2007, 11:22 PM
Hi. Just moved into the house that we bought. Love the place but it has some issues.

When we drain the bathtub it leaks from under the toilet. Obviously we need to replace the toilet bowl wax ring. It doesn't happen every time. Seems to happen more in the late evening hours.

Today, we hooked up the washer. When it drained, the water came out of the tub overflow and filled up half the tub with dirt.

It took all the cash we had readily available to buy the house, so calling a plumber is out of the question for a while.

Any ideas? Pointers? Prayers?

Thanks all.

Mr. P
01-30-2007, 11:26 PM
Hi. Just moved into the house that we bought. Love the place but it has some issues.

When we drain the bathtub it leaks from under the toilet. Obviously we need to replace the toilet bowl wax ring. It doesn't happen every time. Seems to happen more in the late evening hours.

Today, we hooked up the washer. When it drained, the water came out of the tub overflow and filled up half the tub with dirt.

It took all the cash we had readily available to buy the house, so calling a plumber is out of the question for a while.

Thanks all.

Septic or sewer? My guess is septic..If not you may some real big problems.

pegwinn
01-30-2007, 11:29 PM
I think it's a city sewer system.

Mr. P
01-30-2007, 11:29 PM

Thanks all.

Septic or sewer? My guess is septic..If not you may have some real big problems. Then again sewer may be cheaper.

Mr. P
01-30-2007, 11:31 PM
I think it's a city sewer system.

Sounds like a clog there somewhere...crawl space? Can you see the plumbing lines? You can rent the stuff to run through the lines peg.

Mr. P
01-30-2007, 11:32 PM
could be a vent clog too.

Gaffer
01-30-2007, 11:40 PM
You need to rent a snake. Where to run it from depends on where you can reach the main pipes from. Crawl space or basement. If you have a septic tank then you probably need to have it emptied. That's pretty costly.

The blockage could also be caused by roots in the main drain system which means running the snake with a router to clean out the pipe.