PDA

View Full Version : Trump: Churchill bust back in oval office

jimnyc
01-10-2017, 08:45 PM
Excellent decision, IMO

------

Donald Trump has asked for bust of Winston Churchill to be put back in the Oval Office after Obama replaced it with Martin Luther King

DONALD Trump has asked Britain to send Winston Churchill’s bust back to the White House so he can return it to the Oval Office, The Sun can reveal.

The request was put to Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson by the President Elect’s senior advisers during talks in New York three days ago.

Last night, Downing Street confirmed that Theresa May has agreed to a loan of the famous sculpture again.

The gesture marks a diplomatic coup for the PM in her bid to win influence over the unpredictable new US leader.

A bitter row over the bust’s location has raged for seven years since outgoing President Barack Obama replaced the wartime leader’s image with one of Martin Luther King in 2009.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2582745/donald-trump-has-asked-for-bust-of-winston-churchill-to-be-put-back-in-the-oval-office-after-obama-replaced-it-with-martin-luther-king/

Kathianne
01-10-2017, 09:34 PM
I've no problem with both being there. I love the reminders of the bright minds that have influenced our history, both men are among them.

Elessar
01-11-2017, 02:18 AM
They both belong there.

Obama should be whipped for removing Sir Churchill's.

jimnyc
01-11-2017, 12:43 PM
I've no problem with both being there. I love the reminders of the bright minds that have influenced our history, both men are among them.

Yups. Have no problem with the MLK one at all. But I like bringing this one back, I hate such changes. :)

Speaking of changes - Trump has brought in a new announcer for the inauguration, and I'm not happy about that change either. This guy has done it for like 60 years they said. But he will be there with "emeritus" status. I think the guy Trump is having do the gig is the current Washington Nationals announcer.

sundaydriver
01-11-2017, 05:39 PM
Forget the bust and just get a Pug that smokes. Better likeness anyway.

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo302/rover27/pug_zpstqwyk4zk.jpg (http://s386.photobucket.com/user/rover27/media/pug_zpstqwyk4zk.jpg.html)

jimnyc
01-11-2017, 06:27 PM
I'd pay Trump $1k to either buy that dog for a pet, or make a bust out of him!!

But for the record, while Pugs are my fav dog in the world - that there is a French Bulldog. And that's the kind I want next, but the bastards cost nearly $3 grand!!

KarlMarx
01-11-2017, 07:22 PM
forget the bust and just get a pug that smokes. Better likeness anyway.

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo302/rover27/pug_zpstqwyk4zk.jpg (http://s386.photobucket.com/user/rover27/media/pug_zpstqwyk4zk.jpg.html)

i keed!! I keed! :)

KarlMarx
01-11-2017, 07:28 PM
Excellent decision, IMO

------

Donald Trump has asked for bust of Winston Churchill to be put back in the Oval Office after Obama replaced it with Martin Luther King

DONALD Trump has asked Britain to send Winston Churchill’s bust back to the White House so he can return it to the Oval Office, The Sun can reveal.

The request was put to Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson by the President Elect’s senior advisers during talks in New York three days ago.

Last night, Downing Street confirmed that Theresa May has agreed to a loan of the famous sculpture again.

The gesture marks a diplomatic coup for the PM in her bid to win influence over the unpredictable new US leader.

A bitter row over the bust’s location has raged for seven years since outgoing President Barack Obama replaced the wartime leader’s image with one of Martin Luther King in 2009.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2582745/donald-trump-has-asked-for-bust-of-winston-churchill-to-be-put-back-in-the-oval-office-after-obama-replaced-it-with-martin-luther-king/

It's about time. Winston Churchill is one of the greatest men of the 20th century. He was one of the first to warn the world of Hitler and stood up to him when all of Europe had fallen and Britain's back was to the wall..

"....we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender...."

Good ol' Sir Winston Churchill... God Rest His Soul

Balu
01-11-2017, 09:22 PM
Sorry, but for me it seems rather strange to have a portrait or sculpture of the Prime Minister of ANY foreign State in the Oval Office.
I am not able to imagine something like this in Kremlin.

Kathianne
01-11-2017, 10:03 PM
It's about time. Winston Churchill is one of the greatest men of the 20th century. He was one of the first to warn the world of Hitler and stood up to him when all of Europe had fallen and Britain's back was to the wall..

"....we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender...."

Good ol' Sir Winston Churchill... God Rest His Soul

Not only Hitler, but Stalin too!

Abbey Marie
01-12-2017, 12:12 AM
If it were my decision, I'd have only founding fathers represented there.

Balu
01-12-2017, 12:19 AM
And this would be reasonable. :clap:
Any State, if it is State, but not a 'banana republic' surely have the persons in their History to be grateful to and be proud of.

Drummond
01-12-2017, 11:25 AM

I can understand that.

For me ... I just 'wonder' what it was that made Obama decide to have Churchill's bust removed, anyway ? I think that's worth some consideration.

Abbey Marie
01-12-2017, 11:53 AM
I can understand that.

For me ... I just 'wonder' what it was that made Obama decide to have Churchill's bust removed, anyway ? I think that's worth some consideration.

Well, let's see.

He was:
1. A modern-day hero
2. A decisive leader
3. White
4. All of the above

Take your pick...

Drummond
01-12-2017, 11:57 AM
Well, let's see.

He was:
1. A modern-day hero
2. A decisive leader
3. White
4. All of the above

Take your pick...

I'm sure his being British and a Conservative had something to do with it, too ... I still recall Obama's trying to influence our EU Referendum decision through an outright trading threat ... also the way he attacked us over the BP spill, years ago (missing entirely the point that BP is an international conglomerate, these days being run by an American !).

jimnyc
01-12-2017, 12:10 PM
Sorry, but for me it seems rather strange to have a portrait or sculpture of the Prime Minister of ANY foreign State in the Oval Office.

I can understand that. But the UK is our closest allies, kinda like our younger brother if you will. We have helped them so much at times, as they have helped us so many times. He was big in defending democracy. And as John Boehner said, he was the best friend the USA has ever had. It didn't hurt that he was also half American.

He addressed our US Congress in 1941, just prior to WW2. Here are a few snippets. I love how he starts:

-----

Members of the Senate and of the House of Representatives of the United States, I feel greatly honored that you should have thus invited me to enter the United States Senate Chamber and address the representatives of both branches of Congress. The fact that my American forebears have for so many generations played their part in the life of the United States, and that here I am, an Englishman, welcomed in your midst, makes this experience one of the most moving and thrilling in my life, which is already long and has not been entirely uneventful. I wish indeed that my mother, whose memory I cherish, across the vale of years, could have been here to see. By the way, I cannot help reflecting that if my father had been American and my mother British instead of the other way around, I might have got here on my own. In that case this would not have been the first time you would have heard my voice. In that case I should not have needed any invitation. But if I had it is hardly likely that it would have been unanimous. So perhaps things are better as they are.

I may confess, however, that I do not feel quite like a fish out of water in a legislative assembly where English is spoken. I am a child of the House of Commons. I was brought up in my father's house to believe in democracy. "Trust the people." That was his message. I used to see him cheered at meetings and in the streets by crowds of workingmen way back in those aristocratic Victorian days when as Disraeli said "the world was for the few, and for the very few."

As a matter of fact I am sure they will approve very highly of my journey here, for which I obtained the King's permission, in order to meet the President of the United States and to arrange with him for all that mapping out of our military plans and for all those intimate meetings of the high officers of the armed services in both countries which are indispensable for the successful prosecution of the war.

I should like to say first of all how much I have been impressed and encouraged by the breadth of view and sense of proportion which I have found in all quarters over here to which I have had access. Anyone who did not understand the size and solidarity of the foundations of the United States, might easily have expected to find an excited, disturbed, self-cantered atmosphere, with all minds fixed upon the novel, startling, and painful episodes of sudden war as they hit America. After all, the United States have been attacked and set upon by three most powerfully armed dictator states, the greatest military power in Europe, the greatest military power in Asia-Japan, Germany and Italy have all declared and are making war upon you, and the quarrel is opened which can only end in their overthrow or yours.

Some people may be startled or momentarily depressed when, like your President, I speak of a long and a hard war. Our peoples would rather know the truth, somber though it be. And after all, when we are doing the noblest work in the world, not only defending our hearths and homes, but the cause of freedom in every land, the question of whether deliverance comes in 1942 or 1943 or 1944, falls into its proper place in the grand proportions of human history. Sure I am that this day, now, we are the masters of our fate. That the task which has been set us is not above our strength. That its pangs and toils are not beyond our endurance. As long as we have faith in our cause, and an unconquerable willpower, salvation will not be denied us. In the words of the Psalmist: "He shall not be afraid of evil tidings. His heart is fixed, trusting in the Lord."

If the United States has been found at a disadvantage at various points in the Pacific Ocean, we know well that that is to no small extent because of the aid which you have been giving to us in munitions for the defense of the British Isles and for the Libyan campaign, and above all because of your help in the Battle of the Atlantic, upon which all depends and which has in consequence been successfully and prosperously maintained.

Members of the Senate, and members of the House of Representatives, I will turn for one moment more from the turmoil and convulsions of the present to the broader spaces of the future. Here we are together, facing a group of mighty foes who seek our ruin. Here we are together, defending all that to free men is dear. Twice in a single generation the catastrophe of world war has fallen upon us. Twice in our lifetime has the long arm of fate reached out across the oceans to bring the United States into the forefront of the battle.

If we had kept together after the last war, if we had taken common measures for our safety, this renewal of the curse need never have fallen upon us. Do we not owe it to ourselves, to our children, to tormented mankind, to make sure that these catastrophes do not engulf us for the third time?

If you will allow me to use other language, I will say that he must indeed have a blind soul who cannot see that some great purpose and design is being worked out here below of which we have the honor to be the faithful servants. It is not given to us to peer into the mysteries of the future. Still, I avow my hope and faith, sure and inviolate, that in the days to come the British and American peoples will, for their own safety and for the good of all, walk together in majesty, in justice and in peace.

Winston Churchill
December 26, 1941
Addressing a joint session of US Congress

https://www.nationalchurchillmuseum.org/churchill-address-to-congress.html

Abbey Marie
01-21-2017, 11:27 AM
And apparently, Trump already has the Churchill bust back in the Oval Office.

First. Day.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017/01/21/trump-restores-churchill-bust-oval-office-first-day-president/

This man wastes no time acting, and does what he says.

Elessar
01-21-2017, 12:06 PM
And apparently, Trump already has the Churchill bust back in the Oval Office.

First. Day.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017/01/21/trump-restores-churchill-bust-oval-office-first-day-president/

This man wastes no time acting, and does what he says.

Good!

Leave King's there as well.

Put any photo's of Sharpton in the dumpster.

Kathianne
01-21-2017, 12:27 PM
I just got around to looking something up, spurred on by earlier posts about 'foreign influences.' While I suppose we've moved more into early adulthood regarding the country's age, I do believe that one should take into account who influenced the influencers:

http://thefederalistpapers.org/founding-father-influences

Many of our founders certainly read and collected the letters, books, and diaries of the men they admired. Indeed, many of their influencers writings and thoughts made their way into our founding documents.

A man like Churchill, like Washington and Lincoln, certainly impacted more than just their countrymen.

Russ
01-21-2017, 01:10 PM
Well, let's see.

He was:
1. A modern-day hero
2. A decisive leader
3. White
4. All of the above

Take your pick...

So in other words, he was the total opposite of Obama. Now it makes sense.

Gunny
01-21-2017, 01:31 PM
I just got around to looking something up, spurred on by earlier posts about 'foreign influences.' While I suppose we've moved more into early adulthood regarding the country's age, I do believe that one should take into account who influenced the influencers:

http://thefederalistpapers.org/founding-father-influences

Many of our founders certainly read and collected the letters, books, and diaries of the men they admired. Indeed, many of their influencers writings and thoughts made their way into our founding documents.

A man like Churchill, like Washington and Lincoln, certainly impacted more than just their countrymen.

Gee Kath, why don't you just drop the hammer?

Drummond
01-21-2017, 07:01 PM

Funny, that ... neither am I .... :laugh::rolleyes::rolleyes:

A question occurs to me, Balu. Are any portraits or sculptures (that sort of thing) displayed in the Kremlin to 'celebrate' past Soviet leaders ?

Stalin, perhaps ? Krushchev ? You know, 'arch humanitarians' such as those .. ?

Do your present day leaders think far more fondly of Stalin than they would of Churchill ?

aboutime
01-21-2017, 07:14 PM

Tend to agree with you Abbey. However. Most of the additional items found in the Oval Office have historically been presents to the President over many years.
JFK had his Coconut with the inscription on it.
Harry Truman had his sign "The Buck Stops Here".
I believe the Bust of Churchill was first given in the 60's. Not sure.
The bust has always been there, but not in the Oval office. That was
just a rumor at the time Obummer arrived to replace it with MLK.

Literally. Whoever is president, decides what is, or isn't in the Oval office.

pete311
01-21-2017, 09:23 PM
Don't really care, but it looks creepy as fuck

Elessar
01-21-2017, 09:39 PM
Don't really care, but it looks creepy as fuck

I would imagine your photo I.D. does too.

Are you always this sour, or does creating hate and discontent cause you to orgasm?

pete311
01-21-2017, 09:43 PM
I would imagine your photo I.D. does too.

Are you always this sour, or does creating hate and discontent cause you to orgasm?

Elessar, great to see you back slinging insults. Are you allowed to say the O word coming from Amish background?

Elessar
01-21-2017, 09:47 PM
Elessar, great to see you back slinging insults. Are you allowed to say the O word coming from Amish background?

Great, or not so, to see you in your normal trolling mode. I am not Amish you simpleton.

When will you pay attention?

Ohhhh...only if Hillary sneaks into the White House - bit to late for that, so
suck it up, buttercup.