PDA

View Full Version : Left Wing Vegan Denied Swiss Passport Because She’s ‘Too Annoying’

jimnyc
01-11-2017, 01:58 PM
:laugh2: is all I can say!!

-----

Left Wing Vegan Denied Swiss Passport Because She’s ‘Too Annoying’

A left wing Dutch vegan who has lived in Switzerland since she was a child has been denied a Swiss passport because locals in her adoptive town find her too annoying.
Nancy Holten, 42, is a self-described animal rights activist who has campaigned against the Swiss tradition of cow bells, calling them cruel.

Despite living in the country since the age of eight, and speaking fluent Swiss German, local residents vetoed her application of citizenship, saying they were “fed up” with her challenging their traditions.

The Dutchwoman explained her views: “The sound that cow bells make is a hundred decibel. It is comparable with a pneumatic drill. We also would not want such a thing hanging close to our ears?”

“The bells, which the cows have to wear when they walk to and from the pasture, are especially heavy.

“The animals carry around five kilograms around their neck. It causes friction and burns to their skin.”

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017/01/11/leftwing-vegan-denied-swiss-passport-shes-annoying/

Noir
01-11-2017, 02:08 PM
Ironic that they've denied her right to travel because they don't like having her around.

jimnyc
01-11-2017, 02:15 PM
local residents vetoed her application of citizenship

Ironic that they've denied her right to travel because they don't like having her around.

Agreed, but I think it was more about the above to them.

Elessar
01-11-2017, 03:11 PM
Cow bells? A hundred decibels? The weight of them?

That lady is a loon!

Bilgerat
01-11-2017, 05:35 PM
Damned Vegans are annoying as all get out, always bragging about how they don't "murder" for food.

Yet, the veggies might say something else :laugh:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9618&stc=1

NightTrain
01-11-2017, 05:48 PM
That's very funny! She said she admits she complains too often and too loudly, so at least there's some kind of filter being overridden.

Ten bucks says the local denial of her citizenship is reversed by the Swiss Feds.

Noir
01-11-2017, 06:02 PM

That lady is a loon!

What exactly about the weight or sound makes the woman a loon?

sundaydriver
01-11-2017, 06:12 PM
I miss the Swiss! Worked for a Swiss company and we were often given Swiss & Belgian chocolates and a drawer full of Swiss Army Knives. Let the cowbells ring! :laugh:

jimnyc
01-11-2017, 06:21 PM

That lady is a loon!

Cow bells, those I've worked with, weighed a few ounces, damn cows don't even feel them.

As for the decibels.... A mosques bell, when they play them for an ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOOD to hear their call to prayer, are anywhere from 90-120 decibels. A bell on a cow ain't no hundred decibels - unless perhaps someone maybe placed the liberty bell on their cow!

Noir
01-11-2017, 06:30 PM
Cow bells, those I've worked with, weighed a few ounces, damn cows don't even feel them.

As for the decibels.... A mosques bell, when they play them for an ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOOD to hear their call to prayer, are anywhere from 90-120 decibels. A bell on a cow ain't no hundred decibels - unless perhaps someone maybe placed the liberty bell on their cow!

A study by the Swiss Federal Institute of Zurich showed that the cows they studied would have ranges of 100-113 decibels created by their cowbells (well above the legal limit of 85db) causing the cows to go deaf. And weighed 5.5Kg, not a few ounces.
Do you think she is a loon for following up on the study?

Source- http://www.schweizamsonntag.ch/ressort/nachrichten/glocken_lassen_kuehe_leiden/

jimnyc
01-11-2017, 06:39 PM
A study by the Swiss Federal Institute of Zurich showed that the cows they studied would have ranges of 100-113 decibels created by their cowbells (well above the legal limit of 85db) causing the cows to go deaf. And weighed 5.5Kg, not a few ounces.

Source- http://www.schweizamsonntag.ch/ressort/nachrichten/glocken_lassen_kuehe_leiden/

I think the study is likely studying a few that aren't the norm. Been around farms on and off my whole life, and I know the bells, how they're attached and what they weigh. Someone is grossly doing it wrong or buying crap if it's that loud.

Let's put it this way - a LOUD rock concert is about 115 decibels. Something tells me a cowbell isn't quite that loud. But IF someone is abusing something somehow, then by all means, I think they should be removed from the animal.

Perhaps it's one maker, dunno. I just know I've been around hundreds and hundreds over the years, and not a one was NEARLY as loud as a concert! An entire football stadium, cheering as loud as possible in the history of stadiums in the USA, is still only 20 decibels higher than your stated cowbell. That's one hell of a little bell!

jimnyc
01-11-2017, 06:41 PM

I am 300% confident that you're stating the truth - just pointing out that the actual link is useless to me as I'm a dummy and only read English. :)

Noir
01-11-2017, 06:49 PM
I think the study is likely studying a few that aren't the norm. Been around farms on and off my whole life, and I know the bells, how they're attached and what they weigh. Someone is grossly doing it wrong or buying crap if it's that loud.

Let's put it this way - a LOUD rock concert is about 115 decibels. Something tells me a cowbell isn't quite that loud. But IF someone is abusing something somehow, then by all means, I think they should be removed from the animal.

Perhaps it's one maker, dunno. I just know I've been around hundreds and hundreds over the years, and not a one was NEARLY as loud as a concert! An entire football stadium, cheering as loud as possible in the history of stadiums in the USA, is still only 20 decibels higher than your stated cowbell. That's one hell of a little bell!

The study was carried out over 25 farms, which seems a reasonable sample.
I've seen several copies of this story posted about, and not once has a resident been quoted as saying 'the decibels are wrong' or 'the bells don't weigh 12 pounds'. It's all about 'this woman is annoying'.

If if you think, like this woman, that 12 pounds and 100+ decibels is too much, then you're a loon, an annoyance, and are needlessly attacking traditional Swiss values of which you have no right to do, y'know.

Noir
01-11-2017, 07:02 PM
I am 300% confident that you're stating the truth - just pointing out that the actual link is useless to me as I'm a dummy and only read English. :)

An English story of the story - www.foxnews.com/travel/2014/09/26/call-for-cowbell-ban-in-switzerland-could-mean-fewer-tinkling-bovines (http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2014/09/26/call-for-cowbell-ban-in-switzerland-could-mean-fewer-tinkling-bovines)

A recent study suggesting that cowbells worn by Swiss cows could hurt their hearing has raised calls to end the time-honored tradition of tinkling bovines.Researchers at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich found that the bells could damage the cows’ hearing and lead to eventual deafness, according to Germany newspaper Schweiz Am Sonntag. The cowbells create noise levels of 100 to 113 decibels, which is roughly equivalent to the noise level of a chainsaw. The legal sound limit in Switzerland is 85 decibels.
In addition to hearing damage, the cows who wore cowbells chewed their food for less time than the cows who didn't wear cowbells. The researchers studied more than 100 cows who wore 12-pound cowbells across 25 farms in Switzerland.

NightTrain
01-11-2017, 07:11 PM
So, Noir, you think it's perfectly acceptable for this foreign woman to set up residence in another country and begin demanding that they change their customs and their ways to suit her?

See the underlying problem with this whole thing?

Noir
01-11-2017, 07:18 PM
So, Noir, you think it's perfectly acceptable for this foreign woman to set up residence in another country and begin demanding that they change their customs and their ways to suit her?

See the underlying problem with this whole thing?

:laugh:
So your position on the welfare of the animals depends on whether or not the person speaking was born in the country?

jimnyc
01-11-2017, 07:30 PM
The study was carried out over 25 farms, which seems a reasonable sample.
I've seen several copies of this story posted about, and not once has a resident been quoted as saying 'the decibels are wrong' or 'the bells don't weigh 12 pounds'. It's all about 'this woman is annoying'.

If if you think, like this woman, that 12 pounds and 100+ decibels is too much, then you're a loon, an annoyance, and are needlessly attacking traditional Swiss values of which you have no right to do, y'know.

I'm telling ya right now, while her, that area, and that study may claim "12 lbs". The typical cowbell in the USA, at all of the farms I have ever seen them in use (not all use them obviously). Those I'm looking at on Amazon right now are:

1.1lbs
2.1 ounces
6.4 ounces

Now, I know there are a lot of "other" cowbells as well, like those that folks bring to stadiums, or those that are even used by bands - but those aren't supposed to be used on animals.

jimnyc
01-11-2017, 07:32 PM
So your position on the welfare of the animals depends on whether or not the person speaking was born in the country?

Personally, I think the welfare is idiots using the wrong bells.

When I was last in Georgia, the cows didn't give a crap. They would come running over to me to get fed, to play and sniff around my dog. And some didn't have them, then did, and I didn't see any difference. But again, those I'm speaking of are small and not that loud. The idea isn't to scare the bejeezus out of the cow, but simply have it make a noise should one of them wander off somewhere.

Noir
01-11-2017, 07:34 PM
I'm telling ya right now, while her, that area, and that study may claim "12 lbs". The typical cowbell in the USA, at all of the farms I have ever seen them in use (not all use them obviously). Those I'm looking at on Amazon right now are:

1.1lbs
2.1 ounces
6.4 ounces

Now, I know there are a lot of "other" cowbells as well, like those that folks bring to stadiums, or those that are even used by bands - but those aren't supposed to be used on animals.

That may well be in the States, but in the report on Swiss farms 12lbs was the weight. So you understand why this 'loon' was concerned?

NightTrain
01-11-2017, 07:34 PM

And this woman has authority how, exactly?

The liberal modus operandi assumes that you know better than everyone else what is proper, what is moral, what is right - despite the locals dismissing her loony ideas.

Beyond the crazy of demanding everyone change for her, let's take a look at her claims of 100 decibels.

Do you know how loud 100 decibels is? It's pretty fucking loud, believe me. A jet flying over at 1,000 feet is 100 decibels.

Have you ever heard a cowbell? Yeah, you can grab hold of one and really make it loud by vigorously shaking it, but here's a normal one :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6X_XN7GiK_A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That doesn't come close to the roar of a jet.

Besides all that, Noir, we slaughter cows for their meat and harvest their milk and use their skins for leather and the waste for glue. It is the natural order of things.

jimnyc
01-11-2017, 07:35 PM
Ok, I seee where the disconnect is here...

The 12lbs you are speaking of are used for "ceremonial occasions"

Again, NOT your typical cowbell, and these ceremonies should be shut down if they are putting such huge bells on the animal and causing them harm.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/29/cowbells-cows-new-study_n_5899782.html

What’s a cow without a cowbell? Probably a happier cow.

That’s the obvious implication of a new study conducted at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich. The study showed that the large bells that many Swiss cows sport around their necks on ceremonial occasions may actually harm their hearing and interfere with their feeding habits.

For the study, researchers placed 12-pound bells around the necks of more than 100 cows at 25 farms across Switzerland. In a series of experiments, the scientists observed the cows’ activity, heart rates, head movements, and feeding behavior. Then they exposed the cows to loud noises and observed their reactions.

jimnyc
01-11-2017, 07:36 PM
That may well be in the States, but in the report on Swiss farms 12lbs was the weight. So you understand why this 'loon' was concerned?

Read my last post, those are NOT even close to your normal cowbells.

NightTrain
01-11-2017, 07:47 PM
Read my last post, those are NOT even close to your normal cowbells.

Hahaha! 12 pound bells? wtf?

That sounds like a legit study. Why didn't they use 20 pound bells? Where do you stop?

RESEARCHERS FIND THAT 300 POUND COWBELLS EVENTUALLY BREAK THEIR NECKS - News at 11.

jimnyc
01-11-2017, 07:52 PM
Hahaha! 12 pound bells? wtf?

That sounds like a legit study. Why didn't they use 20 pound bells? Where do you stop?

RESEARCHERS FIND THAT 300 POUND COWBELLS EVENTUALLY BREAK THEIR NECKS - News at 11.

I don't blame the lady if she's complaining about the ceremonial bells. That many decibels can't be good for the poor fat bastards. I know where they end up likely, but certainly no need to make their lives hell. But a typical cowbell won't harm them.

It sounds like they are using the bells that you will hear non-stop at stadium events, which shouldn't be placed on animals.

NightTrain
01-11-2017, 08:01 PM
I don't blame the lady if she's complaining about the ceremonial bells. That many decibels can't be good for the poor fat bastards. I know where they end up likely, but certainly no need to make their lives hell. But a typical cowbell won't harm them.

It sounds like they are using the bells that you will hear non-stop at stadium events, which shouldn't be placed on animals.

I really seriously doubt they're using 12-pound cowbells. That's not only expensive, but it would be annoying as hell.

The cows I've seen that have cowbells are the size of the one I posted the vid of, and the clanking is muted and pleasant. I've never even seen a 12 pounder.

jimnyc
01-11-2017, 08:06 PM
I really seriously doubt they're using 12-pound cowbells. That's not only expensive, but it would be annoying as hell.

The cows I've seen that have cowbells are the size of the one I posted the vid of, and the clanking is muted and pleasant. I've never even seen a 12 pounder.

They're using specially made bells for ceremonies. Hell, I never even seen a bell remotely that size!! The vid you posted - THAT is your typical cowbell.