PDA

View Full Version : Driving at night

jimnyc
01-12-2017, 12:59 PM
I've posted about my eyesight and finally getting glasses in the past year. My biggest need is reading up close. But over the past year, my ability to drive at night once it's dark has been getting worse and worse. I had read that those damn yellow tinted glasses could help, so first I bought a regular pair, then a pair of clip-ons for my new glasses. They don't do really anything. Then I read an article last night that said all they really help with is with oncoming headlights and such - which is good, because that bugged me too. But they don't make you see better in the dark

Last night at like 5:30pm or so, returning from a friends house, it was dusk I guess and getting darker and darker. I'm fine at seeing the cars in front of me and those coming at me. There's just something missing from over the years, something is off and I'm very uncomfortable, and not so sure I'll ever drive after dark again. A kid popped out from between 2 cars and I barely saw him at all until it was too late. Ok, I didn't hit him, but if he kept walking it would have been too late, and I likely wouldn't have seen him at all until a thud. Bad eyesight won't be much of an excuse in the courtroom for vehicular manslaughter!

I walked around a lot last night with my glasses and tints, but no difference. I had read that perhaps red tint may be better, but then read on a doctors website that none of them really work, it's just your eyes. You can eat better, take meds and such, but there is no magic trick to get the sight back.

Nyctalopia is what they call it, never heard of it till last night.

I was at my vision doctor only months ago - but I don't think they did any test that would determine anything about nighttime, not that I know of.

Anyone think I should go back? I already have the anti-reflection and everything possible with my current glasses. Not sure he can do anything?

Gunny
01-12-2017, 01:23 PM
I've posted about my eyesight and finally getting glasses in the past year. My biggest need is reading up close. But over the past year, my ability to drive at night once it's dark has been getting worse and worse. I had read that those damn yellow tinted glasses could help, so first I bought a regular pair, then a pair of clip-ons for my new glasses. They don't do really anything. Then I read an article last night that said all they really help with is with oncoming headlights and such - which is good, because that bugged me too. But they don't make you see better in the dark

Last night at like 5:30pm or so, returning from a friends house, it was dusk I guess and getting darker and darker. I'm fine at seeing the cars in front of me and those coming at me. There's just something missing from over the years, something is off and I'm very uncomfortable, and not so sure I'll ever drive after dark again. A kid popped out from between 2 cars and I barely saw him at all until it was too late. Ok, I didn't hit him, but if he kept walking it would have been too late, and I likely wouldn't have seen him at all until a thud. Bad eyesight won't be much of an excuse in the courtroom for vehicular manslaughter!

I walked around a lot last night with my glasses and tints, but no difference. I had read that perhaps red tint may be better, but then read on a doctors website that none of them really work, it's just your eyes. You can eat better, take meds and such, but there is no magic trick to get the sight back.

Nyctalopia is what they call it, never heard of it till last night.

I was at my vision doctor only months ago - but I don't think they did any test that would determine anything about nighttime, not that I know of.

Anyone think I should go back? I already have the anti-reflection and everything possible with my current glasses. Not sure he can do anything?

Hah. You're just getting old. Deal with it. If you ain't dying, no damn way am I driving at night. I'm a menace to society in the daylight. I revolve my crap around driving all 3 blocks and the corner during the daylight.

My problem though, as you know, is not so much my eyesight but my ability to concentrate. If I go anywhere beyond the corner, I get the SIL or daughter to take me. What I need most is to not have a 3/4 ton truck. That thing is a beast and don't fit around here real well and I just don't need it anymore. I just don't want a car payment.

jimnyc
01-12-2017, 01:37 PM
Hah. You're just getting old. Deal with it. If you ain't dying, no damn way am I driving at night. I'm a menace to society in the daylight. I revolve my crap around driving all 3 blocks and the corner during the daylight.

My problem though, as you know, is not so much my eyesight but my ability to concentrate. If I go anywhere beyond the corner, I get the SIL or daughter to take me. What I need most is to not have a 3/4 ton truck. That thing is a beast and don't fit around here real well and I just don't need it anymore. I just don't want a car payment.

You don't drive at night anymore? How long has that been? I just figured I would drive till I die. 48 seems a tad young to start cutting driving so much!

Balu
01-12-2017, 01:53 PM
You don't drive at night anymore? How long has that been? I just figured I would drive till I die. 48 seems a tad young to start cutting driving so much!
You are too young to have driving problems because of your ages.
The problems with your eyes may be caused by permanent 'overloading' of the muscles of lens and lack of vitamin 'A' in your ration. The daily norm of this vitamin must be not less than 1.5 mg.
If you want to avoid pills, raw carrots and rye bread can help you.
Good luck, Jim! :slap:

jimnyc
01-12-2017, 02:05 PM
You are too young to have driving problems because of your ages.
The problems with your eyes may be caused by permanent 'overloading' of the muscles of lens and lack of vitamin 'A' in your ration. The daily norm of this vitamin must be not less than 1.5 mg.
If you want to avoid pills, raw carrots and rye bread can help you.
Good luck, Jim! :slap:

That's what my wife said, go eat some carrots. :)

That's mostly what I've found thus far, dietary things and supplements. And of course exhaustion. But it seems the same whether tired or well rested. But I'm thinking of re-visiting the Doc about this issue, it cant hurt. Of course I don't mind adding a few things to my diet though.

Gunny
01-12-2017, 02:38 PM

Since my little vacation at the hospital. My night vision is still okay. Started tp go ... guess when .... about your age. :slap: I can still see everything long distance. I can't see jack close up. But I have an eye problem you don't. I'm usually running on one eye nowadays. the left one works when it's in the mood.

Which I find weird as Hell. All the damage to my body is on the right. Left eye? Weird. Only thing that bailed me is I'm left handed.

jimnyc
01-12-2017, 02:42 PM
Since my little vacation at the hospital. My night vision is still okay. Started tp go ... guess when .... about your age. :slap: I can still see everything long distance. I can't see jack close up. But I have an eye problem you don't. I'm usually running on one eye nowadays. the left one works when it's in the mood.

Which I find weird as Hell. All the damage to my body is on the right. Left eye? Weird. Only thing that bailed me is I'm left handed.

Similar here. Can't see anything up close within say 3-4 feet. I wear my damn glasses driving and see fine, but when I look at my speedometer I get dizzy as it's all blurry. And yes, they are bifocals, and even the reading portion is fuzzy and makes me dizzy.

That's good for you though, wear an eye patch!! Read an article last night that said in addition to looking cool, that they can help the eye see better at night. I guess simply resting it and keeping it from the blinding sun.

Elessar
01-12-2017, 05:06 PM
Need to get your vision completely reviewed.

I have to use reading glasses but my distant vision is superb. I can see things that other drivers cannot...
animals, people, silhouettes that do not belong. All in the dark, in fog and rain.
It might take better concentration, Jim.

For two years after my last concussion I needed to wear dark glasses driving at night because headlights
and the idiots with high beams set my head on fire.

Why they insist on those high beams in the daytime escapes me these days.

jimnyc
01-12-2017, 05:34 PM
Need to get your vision completely reviewed.

I have to use reading glasses but my distant vision is superb. I can see things that other drivers cannot...
animals, people, silhouettes that do not belong. All in the dark, in fog and rain.
It might take better concentration, Jim.

For two years after my last concussion I needed to wear dark glasses driving at night because headlights
and the idiots with high beams set my head on fire.

Why they insist on those high beams in the daytime escapes me these days.

Interesting, similar here. I was just out and rushed home as it's already getting darker and darker here. Of course can't see the dark areas. But the oncoming cars - ALL headlights appear to have the high beams on to me, and YES, it seems to give me like an instant headache feeling. Sometimes I want to high beam in return but I think it's my eyes and not their beams. :(

But darker glasses at night? Hmmmm, I'm afraid I'd be completely blind if I tried that!!

Gunny
01-12-2017, 08:43 PM
Similar here. Can't see anything up close within say 3-4 feet. I wear my damn glasses driving and see fine, but when I look at my speedometer I get dizzy as it's all blurry. And yes, they are bifocals, and even the reading portion is fuzzy and makes me dizzy.

That's good for you though, wear an eye patch!! Read an article last night that said in addition to looking cool, that they can help the eye see better at night. I guess simply resting it and keeping it from the blinding sun.

I ain't wearing no eyepatch you dipstick. I already look evil enough. Should I get the bad guy costume from the 3 Musketeers to go with it? I can trade my cane for a rapier that won't hold my weight.

You are such a dumbass sometimes ...:slap:

Balu
01-12-2017, 09:40 PM
Interesting, similar here. I was just out and rushed home as it's already getting darker and darker here. Of course can't see the dark areas. But the oncoming cars - ALL headlights appear to have the high beams on to me, and YES, it seems to give me like an instant headache feeling. Sometimes I want to high beam in return but I think it's my eyes and not their beams. :(

But darker glasses at night? Hmmmm, I'm afraid I'd be completely blind if I tried that!!
Jim,
Maybe you spend too much time at monitor? It may cause the residual fatigue of your eyes, which may result these troubles? I have my personal rule - to give myself a rest from computer and TV set a day before a long distance driving.
As to high beams, I always look away from oncoming cars headlights towards the curb never look straight at them. It helps a lot to avoid glare and excessive eyes overstrain.

jimnyc
01-13-2017, 11:47 AM
Jim,
Maybe you spend too much time at monitor? It may cause the residual fatigue of your eyes, which may result these troubles? I have my personal rule - to give myself a rest from computer and TV set a day before a long distance driving.
As to high beams, I always look away from oncoming cars headlights towards the curb never look straight at them. It helps a lot to avoid glare and excessive eyes overstrain.

Oh, no doubt I spend WAY too much time in front of the monitor!! :coffee: