PDA

View Full Version : The Music Industry CONTINUES to Not Get It.

The ClayTaurus
08-01-2007, 10:57 AM
A Seattle restaurant is among more than two dozen venues swept up in a music-licensing crackdown for allegedly failing to pay royalties to play copyrighted music in public.

Without a special license, owners of bars, clubs and restaurants could be sued for playing any one of 8 million recorded songs, even from their own CDs.

The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) says that equates to performing copyrighted music without permission, and the group is going after local businesses that haven't paid them for the privilege.

On Monday, ASCAP said it had filed 26 separate infringement actions against nightclubs, bars and restaurants in 17 states. Among them is a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Seattle against the Ibiza Dinner Club downtown.

The group sued to spread the word that performing such music without permission is a federal offense, said Vincent Candilora, ASCAP senior vice president for licensing.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003815486_royalty01.html

We've surpassed wtf levels and are now screaming along towards pure insanity.

darin
08-01-2007, 11:07 AM
What. A. Crock. Of. Horseshit. This actually motivates one to pursue illegal music options, instead of feeding the sky-net type of organizations like this, and RIAA.

hjmick
08-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Make sure you all get your "special license" before your next party or bbq. I don't want to be reading about your lawsuits in the near future. And don't roll down the windows in your car while you have a cd playing, that could spell trouble as well.

dan
08-01-2007, 11:48 AM
This is disgusting. The government really needs to go after these scumbags. Nobody's making any money off the music, they're sharing it for large groups of people to enjoy. I guess the RIAA will be happy when we have to live our lives in complete silence.

Trinity
08-01-2007, 12:00 PM
This country is getting completely out of hand!

I mean come on

A DJ who is sent music from these sources to play for promotional purposes, or basically get it out on the street so people can hear it and want to buy it. Are going to be sued for not having a license to play it! WTF ok yeah let me run right out and by a license to play this music, but wait, I have never heard this song before, so I don't know if it's any good, therefore I don't know if the crowd I am playing for will like it or hate it!

But hold on what about the DJ's who mix and make there own stuff from 2 or 3 different songs and add their own beats into it. Who owns the license on that?

Sitarro
08-01-2007, 12:25 PM
The only music I have purchased for years has been through Apple's music store.

Jon
08-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Simply retarded.

I think that artists of all types need to get in on this. :rolleyes:

Imagine buying a painting or photograph and not being able to hang it up in a public place. :lame2:

KarlMarx
08-01-2007, 12:52 PM
The library of Congress tried to raise the royalties paid by online radio to astronomical proportions and almost got away with it....

http://www.savenetradio.org

I think the music/entertainment industry is definitely two faced....

their big stars are all for high taxes, property redistribution, and all that liberal feel good nonsense until someone starts threatening their cash flow...

then they are all for capitalism

the problem is that they don't like competition, either.... so they get the government to do their dirty work for them

actsnoblemartin
08-03-2007, 03:55 AM
when have they ever gotten it?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003815486_royalty01.html

We've surpassed wtf levels and are now screaming along towards pure insanity.