PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry

jimnyc
01-13-2017, 11:35 AM
So I started a free trial on their site last evening, and plan on cancelling it before 30 days is up as 19.99 per month is a little rich for my blood. But I am shocked how much I have learned about my family in such a short time!!!! Some I kinda knew, but barely remembered.

I only placed myself in there, and then my parents, and then it gives you hints that it thinks may be related from there. It instantly found my grandfather, never knew he was born in 1905, and my grandmother, born in 1912. And my grandfather was orphaned off and grew up with another family in Delaware, but it has his true parents here too! His Mom was from the USA but his Dad was born in Germany. I confirmed with my Dad this morning. I guess they pushed them away, I never even knew they existed before, no one ever told me.

My great-great grandfather, my grandmothers Dad, was born in the Czech Republic. My great-great grandmother was born in Slovakia. I knew I had the blood in me, but now I knew exactly where from!!

And on Mom's side, it found my great grandma who I knew till I was only like 7 or 8, lived in Colts Neck, NJ. My great-great grandfather, and great-great grandmother - both from Germany, and there's where the German comes from. :) The last names are von Wallraff and Deifenthlaer. Sounds like famous people. :)

I love this, it's such a shame you can't ever have known these people. The farthest back I knew was my Mom's parents, and I really only know their graves, but they passed and I can't even remember them. My Dad's parents, my grandfather (pop pop) passed in 1980 and my grandmother passed in 1996.

Gunny
01-13-2017, 06:32 PM
So I started a free trial on their site last evening, and plan on cancelling it before 30 days is up as 19.99 per month is a little rich for my blood. But I am shocked how much I have learned about my family in such a short time!!!! Some I kinda knew, but barely remembered.

I only placed myself in there, and then my parents, and then it gives you hints that it thinks may be related from there. It instantly found my grandfather, never knew he was born in 1905, and my grandmother, born in 1912. And my grandfather was orphaned off and grew up with another family in Delaware, but it has his true parents here too! His Mom was from the USA but his Dad was born in Germany. I confirmed with my Dad this morning. I guess they pushed them away, I never even knew they existed before, no one ever told me.

My great-great grandfather, my grandmothers Dad, was born in the Czech Republic. My great-great grandmother was born in Slovakia. I knew I had the blood in me, but now I knew exactly where from!!

And on Mom's side, it found my great grandma who I knew till I was only like 7 or 8, lived in Colts Neck, NJ. My great-great grandfather, and great-great grandmother - both from Germany, and there's where the German comes from. :) The last names are von Wallraff and Deifenthlaer. Sounds like famous people. :)

I love this, it's such a shame you can't ever have known these people. The farthest back I knew was my Mom's parents, and I really only know their graves, but they passed and I can't even remember them. My Dad's parents, my grandfather (pop pop) passed in 1980 and my grandmother passed in 1996.

So what you are telling us is you are a Soviet spy. That explains a lot. See? I've known you were a creep all along.:slap:

gabosaurus
01-13-2017, 08:41 PM
I love studying my ancestry. My maternal great aunt lived into her late 80s and I got to talk to her a couple of times. My daughter got to talk to her. She survived World War II and the rebuilding. My two grandfathers fought in WWII, on opposite sides.
It's no wonder why we are a family of history buffs.

Gunny
01-13-2017, 09:01 PM
I love studying my ancestry. My maternal great aunt lived into her late 80s and I got to talk to her a couple of times. My daughter got to talk to her. She survived World War II and the rebuilding. My two grandfathers fought in WWII, on opposite sides.
It's no wonder why we are a family of history buffs.

You're screwing up my opportunity to screw with Jimbob,:slap:

My ancestry goes back to Scotland and England. I know it back to the beginning of records. But I didn't pay internet bucks to get it. The Coat of Arms was handed down, along with the history. I am from the Clan Laemonn )Lamont) and my last name actually reflects that. My family is from Scottsboro AL.

And every one of us are moonshining, hillbilly redneck assholes. We could shoot before we could spell. And the 17th never surrendered to the Union Army.

Other half of the family is from Gonzales TX. Dirt farmers. The Union never won a war around here either. So I come from a long line of a-holes. Toss in me and 4 of my cousins, my brother and I are retired Marines and you do the math.

Don't come around here.

jimnyc
01-14-2017, 09:03 AM
It turns out that my grandfather, on Mom's side, was in both WWI and WW2 - and I never knew this. And not only did I find this off of Ancestry, but it gave me photos of registration cards, one from 1917 and the other from 1943. Holy crap, how does it get that stuff?

Even for my grandparents on Dad's side, who I both knew very well - it came back with an actual photo of their gravestone. Kinda eerie, but impressive what they give you.

Balu
01-14-2017, 09:09 AM
... is up as 19.99 per month is a little rich for my blood. ...
Try to count it another way to find out if you are able to afford it to yourself - 19.99 : 30 = 67 cents per day. http://s19.rimg.info/aee19e2775457d135efdf745e7d94e15.gif (http://smayliki.ru/smilie-1224821991.html)

Gunny
01-14-2017, 09:12 AM
It turns out that my grandfather, on Mom's side, was in both WWI and WW2 - and I never knew this. And not only did I find this off of Ancestry, but it gave me photos of registration cards, one from 1917 and the other from 1943. Holy crap, how does it get that stuff?

Even for my grandparents on Dad's side, who I both knew very well - it came back with an actual photo of their gravestone. Kinda eerie, but impressive what they give you.

Archives. My grandparents looked all that junk up. You're in the Smithsonian dude, like it or not. Personally, I do not like it and consider it an invasion of privacy. The internet has made it worse. You can dredge up anyone if you're willing to pay. I think it's a bunch of BS, and not specifically directed at you or people looking up their own stuff, but I consider certain net folks total POSs for doing it to others.

jimnyc
01-14-2017, 09:21 AM
Archives. My grandparents looked all that junk up. You're in the Smithsonian dude, like it or not. Personally, I do not like it and consider it an invasion of privacy. The internet has made it worse. You can dredge up anyone if you're willing to pay. I think it's a bunch of BS, and not specifically directed at you or people looking up their own stuff, but I consider certain net folks total POSs for doing it to others.

Since it's more or less public, and not identifying to me....

Help me here Gunny... DSS form 1? What are these cards? Any way for me to learn more about him and any of his service?

http://i.imgur.com/u9X29p6.jpg

jimnyc
01-14-2017, 09:22 AM
From what I understand, he was drafted for WWi and then volunteered in WW2.

Gunny
01-14-2017, 09:33 AM

I hate to be the one to tell you but I am not THAT old. WWI? I mean really? I go back a little ways but not that far. My great grandfather was in WWI.

It's just a simple registry card from back when you had to use a pencil to fill it out. You know how many vets don't get benefits because of that crap? They marched on Washington in the 20s over it and Douglas MacArthur used a military force to break up the demonstration.

I'll look at it again but back then, you had a serial number that was not your SSN.

Gunny
01-14-2017, 09:36 AM

WWI was a volunteer force. WWII was not. You got drafted. Period.

jimnyc
01-14-2017, 10:02 AM
I hate to be the one to tell you but I am not THAT old. WWI? I mean really? I go back a little ways but not that far. My great grandfather was in WWI.

It's just a simple registry card from back when you had to use a pencil to fill it out. You know how many vets don't get benefits because of that crap? They marched on Washington in the 20s over it and Douglas MacArthur used a military force to break up the demonstration.

I'll look at it again but back then, you had a serial number that was not your SSN.

Nah, just figured you would know is all. :)

WWI was a volunteer force. WWII was not. You got drafted. Period.

But he was 47 according to that card, he was drafted at 47??? Dang

Balu
01-14-2017, 10:24 AM

I may guess that it could have depended on his Military Occupational Speciality.

jimnyc
01-14-2017, 12:30 PM
I may guess that it could have depended on his Military Occupational Speciality.

That's the only other thing I can figure. Maybe because of the prior experience in WW1?

Balu
01-14-2017, 01:29 PM
That's the only other thing I can figure. Maybe because of the prior experience in WW1?
I don't think that an experience of WWI could be a key reason for enlistment for more modern war with it's tanks, bombers and fighters. But..., who knows...

Gunny
01-14-2017, 04:50 PM
Nah, just figured you would know is all. :)

WWII was a mobilization of the entire nation to include civilians. I don't know what the draft rules were then. I think if you were breathing you were going.

Factoid for your civvie butt ... the government makes it clear they retain the right to call me back up at any time. My retirement check is actually officially called retainer pay.

Last I knew the ceiling for enlistment is 35 and you better have something they want at that age. In WWII they wanted bodies. It was a war of attrition. We threw bodies at them until they ran out of them.

jimnyc
01-14-2017, 08:08 PM
I am so into this and learning things I never knew before!!

Apparently I'm a REAL German with a lot of blood in me....

Dad's side: His father's father was born in Germany, mother unknown (hell, he didn't really know either). My grandma's parents: One in Czech and one in Slovakia...

Mom's side: Mom's grandparents both from Germany.

But another addition I found out today. My great-great-great grandfather, George Thrush, was born 1791 in England. And my great-great-great grandmother was born 1787 in Kingsclere, Hampshire, England.

So German from both Mom and Dad. Czech, Slovakia from Dad. And then English as well, and of course never knew that! I'm surprised I am able to continue building this, and it's now back in the 1700's. Problem is, in order to delve in further - outside the USA - they want $$$. So My family tree stops here! LOL

Balu
01-14-2017, 08:40 PM

Dad's side: His father's father was born in Germany, mother unknown (hell, he didn't really know either). My grandma's parents: One in Czech and one in Slovakia...

But another addition I found out today. My great-great-great grandfather, George Thrush, was born 1791 in England. And my great-great-great grandmother was born 1787 in Kingsclere, Hampshire, England.

So German from both Mom and Dad. Czech, Slovakia from Dad. And then English as well, and of course never knew that! I'm surprised I am able to continue building this, and it's now back in the 1700's. Problem is, in order to delve in further - outside the USA - they want $$$. So My family tree stops here! LOL
It must be very interesting for you, Jim!
Pls., clarify, they want $$$ for EVERY inquiry, or it is covered by 20 US $ per month (67 cents per day)?
And another off-topic question - What is the current retail price in NY of a pack of Kent, King Size, crush-proof box and a Gallon of Gas (Mid-grade and Premium)?
And another point. When you are speaking about the octane number, you mean the motor or research method of determining the octane number?

Gunny
01-14-2017, 11:05 PM

I guess I never really considered it. I find it interesting that you find it interesting. I've always known my family history. Southerners are BIG on family. I've been taught it since birth. I never really considered the topic that anyone would not know it.

jimnyc
01-15-2017, 09:23 AM
It must be very interesting for you, Jim!
Pls., clarify, they want $$$ for EVERY inquiry, or it is covered by 20 US $ per month (67 cents per day)?
And another off-topic question - What is the current retail price in NY of a pack of Kent, King Size, crush-proof box and a Gallon of Gas (Mid-grade and Premium)?
And another point. When you are speaking about the octane number, you mean the motor or research method of determining the octane number?

Not every inquiry, they want that amount per month. It's FREE for a trial, but if you don't cancel within 30 days, then they will charge that amount per month. Also - once the records got outside of the USA for me, then they want me to get a totally different membership for $34 per month to have world access.

A pack of smokes right near me will run you about $11 US dollars, up to about 12.50 for some premium cigarettes. Another reason I quit. I quit in 2010 and I was paying $10 per pack, and smoking well over that amount per day.

A gallon of gas changes often, but right now here in NY it's about $2.40 for regular gas. All I know is that most places sell it at 89-91-93 octane, being regular, special and premium what they call them. I usually stick with the regular, which is what the manual states for my truck.

St Mary le bone, London, England - just found that location of my greatx4 or whatever Grandfather. :)

Balu
01-15-2017, 09:49 AM
Not every inquiry, they want that amount per month. It's FREE for a trial, but if you don't cancel within 30 days, then they will charge that amount per month. Also - once the records got outside of the USA for me, then they want me to get a totally different membership for $34 per month to have world access.

A pack of smokes right near me will run you about $11 US dollars, up to about 12.50 for some premium cigarettes. Another reason I quit. I quit in 2010 and I was paying $10 per pack, and smoking well over that amount per day.

A gallon of gas changes often, but right now here in NY it's about $2.40 for regular gas. All I know is that most places sell it at 89-91-93 octane, being regular, special and premium what they call them. I usually stick with the regular, which is what the manual states for my truck.

St Mary le bone, London, England - just found that location of my greatx4 or whatever Grandfather. :)
Thank you, Jim, for your post.
I see that octane number is determined by a motor method.

Gunny
01-15-2017, 03:52 PM

St Mary le bone, London, England - just found that location of my greatx4 or whatever Grandfather. :)Damn dude. It's about $10 for 2 packs of Winstons here. Gas is about $1.80.

I had quit smoking in the hospital but then they put you boredom from Hell hole secondary hospital and there's nothing to do. I sure as Hell wish I had never started back up. It controls too much of your life not to mention the waste of money.

Trigg
01-15-2017, 06:28 PM
My grandmother was a real nut for ancestry so for my dad's side of the family I can go back as far as the Hessen soldiers coming over to help the English during the revolutionary war. Pretty cool.

My mom's side is Cherokee and Irish. I can only go back to the 1850's when my Irish ancestor emigrated and married an Indian man as her second husband. The Irish were looked down on, but it's still surprising that a white woman would marry an Indian at that time in history.

My great grandmother's name is actually on the Dawes Rolls which was a listing of all of the members of the 5 civilized tribes and used for land allotments.

Gunny
01-15-2017, 06:39 PM
My grandmother was a real nut for ancestry so for my dad's side of the family I can go back as far as the Hessen soldiers coming over to help the English during the revolutionary war. Pretty cool.

My mom's side is Cherokee and Irish. I can only go back to the 1850's when my Irish ancestor emigrated and married an Indian man as her second husband. The Irish were looked down on, but it's still surprising that a white woman would marry an Indian at that time in history.

My great grandmother's name is actually on the Dawes Rolls which was a listing of all of the members of the 5 civilized tribes and used for land allotments.
The Cherokee were not looked down upon until someone decided to steal their land. They were vilified by guess who? The media and politicians. They were actually more civilized than we were.

Irish people were treated like dirt in the North. Nobody cares down here. The Irish actually held the first draft revolt. They got treated no better and actually worse than Southern slaves. At least slaves got fed and clothed. The Irish got factories. mines and being owned by the company store. Sweat shops. They were enslaved and didn't want to fight to free some other slaves.

KarlMarx
01-15-2017, 06:54 PM
My parents are both from Italy. So, my ancestry is pretty certain (I think). Of course, Italy was over run by several countries after another. The village they are from predates the Romans by nearly a thousand years, and was renamed after a German prince during the Middle Ages. The original race of people from that region were called the Volci and were eventually conquered by the Romans.

My Dad told me stories of World War II that were pretty sobering. He was strafed by aircraft once while he was out watching the sheep. When he watched the sheep, he was out on in the wilderness for weeks at a time. They had something like a cabin where you slept (when you weren't watching the sheep). They had to build bonfires to scare the wolves away. He told me that the German soldiers were OK to them until Mussolini surrendered, then they got nasty. He also told me that there were Moroccan soldiers who acted like animals (I'm not sure whose side they fought on). The only thing he said about them is that they often gang raped women who were unfortunate enough to be caught by them (but then, that could have been unsubstantiated rumor). After the war, a friend of his had a brother who, unfortunately, pulled a trip wire that was tied to a bomb (they had a lot of left over ones after the war).... the family had to literally pick up the pieces. After some battle that raged through their village, my Dad had to help my Grandfather bury the dead soldiers (both German and Allies)... not sure why, perhaps the Allies were looking for help from the locals so that soldiers could get on with the business of fighting. Oh yes, and food was so scare at one point they were forced to subsist on acorns.

The first night of the First Iraq War, when CNN broadcast the bombing of Baghdad, my father broke out in a cold sweat and could not sleep at all. He's a pretty tough guy, I've only seen him cry twice, once when they closed my Grandmother's casket and when they closed my Grandfather's casket, but war will do that to you.

My Mom's family had to hide underground during the war, I think it was to escape the bombs and such. To this day, she's afraid to go underground for any reason. One day, a band of partisans who labelled themselves "freedom fighters" showed up at their house, put a gun to my grandfather's head and demanded that they turn over all their food. Fortunately, my grandfather and grandmother hid some in the woods, otherwise they would have starved to death. The Germans conscripted my grandfather to build fortifications around Monte Casino right before the Allies invaded. He managed to escape right before the battle of Monte Casino and had to walk 70 miles to get back home. Approximately 70,000 casualties were suffered by the two sides during that battle.

Abbey Marie
01-15-2017, 07:39 PM
The Cherokee were not looked down upon until someone decided to steal their land. They were vilified by guess who? The media and politicians. They were actually more civilized than we were.

Irish people were treated like dirt in the North. Nobody cares down here. The Irish actually held the first draft revolt. They got treated no better and actually worse than Southern slaves. At least slaves got fed and clothed. The Irish got factories. mines and being owned by the company store. Sweat shops. They were enslaved and didn't want to fight to free some other slaves.

Italians were treated like sewage.

Elessar
01-15-2017, 08:28 PM
Mom's side was traced back to the 1750's, immigrated from what is now Germany.
Mix of other blood over generations (Seneca, Scots, Irish), but she was a member of the DAR.

Dad's family came over from Austria in 1898. There is still a candy factory in Vienna with
our family name on it.

Trigg
01-23-2017, 05:45 PM

A lady I used to work for has a sign from back then that says "Irish need not apply". Irish history in this country is pretty abysmal.

Kathianne
01-23-2017, 05:56 PM
A lady I used to work for has a sign from back then that says "Irish need not apply". Irish history in this country is pretty abysmal.

Very true. At the same time though the Irish had some things going for them that many immigrants, especially poor ones, didn't. They spoke English. They were well versed in how to organize against 'the man.' They understood British/American public service and wasted little time in running for office in Irish precincts; joining the police/fire and military. They had well educated women in Ireland and wanted their sons and daughters educated. When they found that Protestant beliefs were taught in public schools, they started their own parochial schools. When they found hospitals not treating the poor well, they used the Church to start their own and opened them to 'all.'

There are very real reasons there are so many Irish in politics at every level and that their children have tended to be very well educated. With education and public representation, success followed.

gabosaurus
01-23-2017, 10:51 PM
Italians and Jews were openly disliked in early America because they tended to work hard and not complain much. Though few got less respect than the Irish and Chinese.
American attitudes changed a lot in the 20th century. When my maternal grandparents emigrated here from Germany, they were readily assimilated into society.

Balu
01-24-2017, 12:10 AM
Italians and Jews were openly disliked in early America because they tended to work hard and not complain much. Though few got less respect than the Irish and Chinese.
American attitudes changed a lot in the 20th century. When my maternal grandparents emigrated here from Germany, they were readily assimilated into society.
Oh, yes!
Nobody dare to hesitate that they are known as notable miners, grain farmers, lumberjack and steelworkers.
By the way, don't you know the etymology of the word jeweler? http://s19.rimg.info/aee19e2775457d135efdf745e7d94e15.gif (http://smayliki.ru/smilie-1224821991.html)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-24-2017, 10:08 AM

The problem is not that new arrivals are not- readily assimilated!
Its that the Dem party has by many ways, schemes and agendas deliberately encouraged, promoted and funded these new arrivals into -NOT ASSIMILATING..
And did so for their own political gain- by using billions of our tax dollars!
You may deny that is the truth but it alters not the reality/history that proves it is the truth..

MY ANCESTRY COMES FROM BLOODLINES, FROM THESE NATIONS NORWAY, DENMARK(VIKING) GERMANY, BRITAIN, IRELAND, AND NATIVE AMERICANA ALREADY HERE AS
THE ORIGINAL INHABITANTS.. -Tyr