PDA

View Full Version : Time for another doggy?

jimnyc
01-13-2017, 12:50 PM
My wife and son were apparently out walking the other day and came across someone walking their dog, and they stopped to pet him and say hello. He was a mutt, but apparently cute as hell. ALL dogs are pretty much cute. :) So my son asked where they got the dog and he said it was a rescue from the pound. My son put the wife on the spot and asked her about doing the same - she actually said maybe!! And then he nagged.... and tomorrow we are all going to the same place I adopted Nero from!!! NO WAY in hell she lets me do that and come home without rescuing one. So I think we may have a new addition tomorrow....

I just want to rescue any dog, so long as he doesn't have a fatal problem, or is too awfully old. Need time to love one before he goes away.

I recall reading this when Jerome passed. Part of me said I would never get a dog again, because I was hurting so much. It still hurts. And this makes me bring a tear still at this moment. But my Pug was the most fantastic dog on earth and I know for sure he would do exactly this!!!

------

Before humans die, they write their last will and testament, giving their home and all they have to those they leave behind. If, with my paws, I could do the same, this is what I’d ask…

To a poor and lonely stray, I’d give my happy home; my bowl and cozy bed, soft pillow and all my toys; the lap, which I loved so much; the hand that stroked my fur; and the sweet voice that spoke my name.

I’d will to the sad, scared, shelter dog the place I had in my human’s loving heart, of which there seemed no bounds.

So, when I die, please do not say, “I will never have a pet again, for the loss and the pain is more than I can stand.

”Instead, go find an unloved dog, one whose life has held no joy or hope, and give my place to him.This is the only thing I can give…The love I left behind. – Author Unknown

jimnyc
01-13-2017, 12:54 PM
And as gay as this may sound, not a single toy of Jerome's left this house. His bed is still here, and in it's place. I kinda always figured I would let another use his stuff someday. :)

Balu
01-13-2017, 01:00 PM
And as gay as this may sound, not a single toy of Jerome's left this house. His bed is still here, and in it's place. I kinda always figured I would let another use his stuff someday. :)
You mean Montmorency from 'Three Men in a boat'?

Balu
01-13-2017, 01:11 PM
You mean Montmorency from 'Three Men in a boat'?
Sorry!
I understood what you meant...

jimnyc
01-13-2017, 01:18 PM
I already think I found one!!! They have pictures and a short video!! His name is Sammy, and he's 2 years old. A mix of "Shepherd & Catahoula Leopard Dog"

http://i.imgur.com/M2KA5u0.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QU55Rps.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqGmtEnvcDM

sundaydriver
01-13-2017, 01:24 PM
Needs plenty of outside exercise and prefers to be the only dog. Keep looking as he doesn't sound your type. :laugh:

jimnyc
01-13-2017, 02:12 PM
Needs plenty of outside exercise and prefers to be the only dog. Keep looking as he doesn't sound your type. :laugh:

Oh man, I'm such a dumbass!! I posted the pics and the video - even watched the video of course!! But my headphones are plugged in and I didn't listen, thought it was silent video. But you're correct of course, me and a dog that needs constant exercise and jogging - he would likely eat me from lack of exercise!! :)

Kathianne
01-13-2017, 05:48 PM
I must say, I looked at that dog and thought, 'Active, very active.'

Abbey Marie
01-14-2017, 11:01 AM
Jim, I'm going to advocate for Nero. Please choose a dog that is easy going and will not terrorize a cat. There are breeds that are better at getting along than others. Nero has no escape.

Balu
01-14-2017, 11:52 AM
I must say, I looked at that dog and thought, 'Active, very active.'
"If a dog (and a child) is not active, he is ill." - A saw. :laugh:

jimnyc
01-14-2017, 12:28 PM
Jim, I'm going to advocate for Nero. Please choose a dog that is easy going and will not terrorize a cat. There are breeds that are better at getting along than others. Nero has no escape.

Yup, the above guy was ruled out. Jordan's top pick is a 1 year old Spaniel Mix, who apparently loves other dogs and people. But the wifey knows that anything that may come home has to be friendly with cats. Nero is the baby of the house and will always get preferential treatment!! He LOVES ALL people, and anyone who should visit, and we don't want him to change a bit. :)

jimnyc
01-14-2017, 12:29 PM
Here's Jordan's choice, his name is Hank.

http://i.imgur.com/BD7E07p.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kVX7JjV.jpg

Abbey Marie
01-14-2017, 01:31 PM
The black spots on the tongue make me wonder if he's part Chow. (Chow tongues are all black). Just a guess, though. Chows can be aggressive.

jimnyc
01-14-2017, 02:05 PM
They just texted me as they left - it's a bust. :( But that's ok, it was me telling them that it MUST be a dog that gets along with other dogs AND cats already.

But at least I got the woman thinking about it now. :) And I DO know that newborns are MUCH better in getting them to get along with others. So maybe when I charge $3,000 on my Amex to get that French Bulldog, she may not be very mad? :laugh:

Kathianne
01-14-2017, 10:05 PM
I like getting a rescue dog, too many are put down. Can't be 'just any dog,' no matter how dire the circumstances. Julia Roberts was a 'saved dog' and is a purebred with papers. Whomever owned her was not nice people, she was aggressive. At her ripe old age, she has mellowed, but we knew from the get go that she had to be watched around smaller children and any other animals. As a pup she'd take on any dog, regardless of size. The big ones just kind looked at her as crazy, but she was certainly annoying.

Some dogs are just more aggressive than others, dachshunds being on the higher end of that scale. I certainly wouldn't put her with a cat, especially one that likes to 'surprise' their canine friend. LOL! I like that Julia only needs to go out twice a day, BUT she needs to be walked 8-10 blocks, it has to do with her digestive system. She is not a dog you can just let out in the yard, even if fenced-she will escape. In Chicago area, even the city, coyotes are an issue to any cats and dogs under 15 lbs or so.

I think families need to take into account their family and the dogs needs. Great Danes actually need less walking, but more room to roam that a dachshund for instance. They go out much more frequently and need more human interaction than some other dogs, that can just jump on your lap or snuggle at your feet. They need to chase a ball or toy for long periods-which doesn't work out in smaller homes. ;) Retrievers need to run and run, along with other active breeds. They will tear up your house if no one wants to take them for their runs and it's not the dog's fault.

At this stage of my life, I'd love to get a smaller dog. One that likes to walk and not pull to hard on a leash if she sees a rabbit or squirrel. I'm not keen on 'yipping dogs.' Julia would go nuts when someone knocked or rang the bell, but never just because people were walking by. She'd bark at the mailman, but not delivery people if they just left the package down, go figure. She lives in an apartment now, she barks from the 3rd floor at the mail truck, but not the neighbors coming or going in the apartment across. Again, go figure. LOL!

jimnyc
01-15-2017, 09:34 AM
I like getting a rescue dog, too many are put down. Can't be 'just any dog,' no matter how dire the circumstances. Julia Roberts was a 'saved dog' and is a purebred with papers. Whomever owned her was not nice people, she was aggressive. At her ripe old age, she has mellowed, but we knew from the get go that she had to be watched around smaller children and any other animals. As a pup she'd take on any dog, regardless of size. The big ones just kind looked at her as crazy, but she was certainly annoying.

Some dogs are just more aggressive than others, dachshunds being on the higher end of that scale. I certainly wouldn't put her with a cat, especially one that likes to 'surprise' their canine friend. LOL! I like that Julia only needs to go out twice a day, BUT she needs to be walked 8-10 blocks, it has to do with her digestive system. She is not a dog you can just let out in the yard, even if fenced-she will escape. In Chicago area, even the city, coyotes are an issue to any cats and dogs under 15 lbs or so.

I think families need to take into account their family and the dogs needs. Great Danes actually need less walking, but more room to roam that a dachshund for instance. They go out much more frequently and need more human interaction than some other dogs, that can just jump on your lap or snuggle at your feet. They need to chase a ball or toy for long periods-which doesn't work out in smaller homes. ;) Retrievers need to run and run, along with other active breeds. They will tear up your house if no one wants to take them for their runs and it's not the dog's fault.

At this stage of my life, I'd love to get a smaller dog. One that likes to walk and not pull to hard on a leash if she sees a rabbit or squirrel. I'm not keen on 'yipping dogs.' Julia would go nuts when someone knocked or rang the bell, but never just because people were walking by. She'd bark at the mailman, but not delivery people if they just left the package down, go figure. She lives in an apartment now, she barks from the 3rd floor at the mail truck, but not the neighbors coming or going in the apartment across. Again, go figure. LOL!

I'm trying my best to talk her/them into a smaller dog myself. I want the French Bulldog badly! I definitely don't think a dog that needs a TON of exercise is a good fit for us. I would also LOVE to get a Doxie, but not if it will eat Nero if he jumps out to scare it! :lol:

Kathianne
01-15-2017, 09:21 PM
I'm trying my best to talk her/them into a smaller dog myself. I want the French Bulldog badly! I definitely don't think a dog that needs a TON of exercise is a good fit for us. I would also LOVE to get a Doxie, but not if it will eat Nero if he jumps out to scare it! :lol:

I'm sure you may be able to find a doxie that would be good with Nero, but not many. They make almost all top 10 lists in being aggressive and stubborn. In many ways doxies have cat personality traits, with dog personalities. LOL! They are the kings or princesses of their homes. They own their owners.

From what I 'know' of your family, seems most larger dogs or super active aren't a great fit. Who would play in the yard with them several times a day, regardless of weather? Who will run them, if needed, which most larger breeds need? Who's going to clean up all that poop in the yard if you just let them out back?

I've had some active dogs when I was younger. It was a lot of work, but doable with kids that liked to run and would play for hours-there also were 3 of them, one usually would be playing with the dog. When big dogs want 'attention,' it isn't a matter of picking them up and snuggling with them, they want to 'play!' Julia always liked to take a nap with someone or just lay in a pile of dirty clothes in the kids' rooms if they were on the phone or computer. She did not like 'playing in the snow' or 'having adventures' out of the house for hours on end, Shadow and Harrison-a golden and a Newfoundland, they liked adventures, a lot! Both also loved snow and were great dogs for when the kids were younger.

It's funny that Derek was the 'kid' that brought Julia home-it was keeping her from being killed. He is the runner and camper. He tried to take Julia on a camping trip-once. She was not appreciative of his idea of fun. She jumped out of the boat to go after a fish, she is not a great swimmer. She was very mad at Derek, she bit him when he was saving her. He was the real active one that was consistent with the bigger dogs. I often wonder what type of dog he'll pick in the future after Julia crosses that bridge.

Growing up I had truly medium sized dogs, two different types of spaniels-Taffy and Snoopy. Taffy I literally grew up with, she was my friend for life. Snoopy I got from my boyfriend, a mix spaniel. She was great, but was hit by a car when only 3. :( Still feel so guilty that she 'escaped' right out a door and into the street, she went after a squirrel.

I think there are different dogs that fit with different people at different times in life. LOL! I couldn't take a hyper dog now, certainly not a large one! Even with families that have a large home, but don't have the time or inclination to deal with active dogs, they need to pick a breed that will work. Probably why lots of people do choose cats rather than dogs. My daughter got Ali a purebred bunny for Christmas, that fits with their family right now.

Balu
01-15-2017, 09:38 PM
Well...
The topic of doggy brought me to the time of my childhood when a had my first dog - Dinga.
She was a German Shepherd.

http://foto.petovod.ru/fotos/2015/04/28/143024705933.jpg

Since that time dogs were with me all the rest of my life, till now.
Someone very wise said once: "Since I found the people I loved the dogs." They never betray. They always remain loyal and incorruptible. And their glance is always saying that they understand you.

Abbey Marie
01-16-2017, 02:34 PM
Well...
The topic of doggy brought me to the time of my childhood when a had my first dog - Dinga.
She was a German Shepherd.

http://foto.petovod.ru/fotos/2015/04/28/143024705933.jpg

Since that time dogs were with me all the rest of my life, till now.
Someone very wise said once: "Since I found the people I loved the dogs." They never betray. They always remain loyal and incorruptible. And their glance is always saying that they understand you.

German Sheperds are very expressive.