PDA

View Full Version : A tempting offer? -Wikileaks

Noir
01-16-2017, 11:51 AM
I'm not sure if this has been more publicly discussed, but Assange has communicated via the Wikileaks twitter that if Obama were to grant clemency to Manning then he will agree to be extradited to the states to face the DOJ case against him.

Thoughts?

Elessar
01-16-2017, 08:19 PM
If Obama grants clemency to Manning, he will just be shooting his miserable legacy in
the foot again.

hjmick
01-16-2017, 08:21 PM
I don't give one flying rhinoceros shit.

fj1200
01-17-2017, 09:56 AM
I'm not sure if this has been more publicly discussed, but Assange has communicated via the Wikileaks twitter that if Obama were to grant clemency to Manning then he will agree to be extradited to the states to face the DOJ case against him.

Thoughts?

Nah, I think espionage carries more weight than sexual assault.

Noir
01-17-2017, 10:19 AM
Nah, I think espionage carries more weight than sexual assault.

I don't believe the Americans want to charge Assange with sexual assault.

fj1200
01-17-2017, 10:27 AM

I'm not aware of what other charges could be brought. But I didn't look very far.

Kathianne
01-17-2017, 12:21 PM

I'm pretty sure the US wants Assange for espionage, while the Swedes want him for rape.

Noir
01-17-2017, 12:35 PM
I'm not aware of what other charges could be brought. But I didn't look very far.

...really? The reason Assange is being pursued for the rape/sexual assist case in Sweden is so that once he is on Swedish soil, he can be extradited to the States.

American companies also tried to frame him as a pedophile within the last election cycle, though that was unsuccessful. The assumption is that DNC/Clinton ties were behind the companies which doesn't seem unreasonable. iirc even an FBI spokesman referred to him as a pedophile on the network news.

fj1200
01-17-2017, 12:40 PM
I'm pretty sure the US wants Assange for espionage, while the Swedes want him for rape.

So it is:

The Justice Department has said it is exploring possible charges against WikiLeaks and Assange in the release of diplomatic messages. Attorney General Eric Holder said charges may be brought under a World War I-era law, the Espionage Act of 1917 (text here (http://www.firstworldwar.com/source/espionageact.htm)), or other laws (http://www.nbcnews.com/id/40554656/ns/us_news-wikileaks_in_security/t/us-dilemma-no-easy-way-charge-assange/?ns=us_news-wikileaks_in_security&ns=us_news-wikileaks_in_security).In this written roundtable discussion, a diverse group of three panelists:
• Predict that Assange will be indicted and that the indictment will survive a legal challenge.
• Disagree on the question of whether Assange is a journalist. But they agree that even if he is deemed a journalist, that may not save him.
• Describe the prosecution's greatest weaknesses, starting with getting Assange onto U.S. soil for a trial.
• Discuss what may be an overwhelming handicap for the defense if there is a trial: Assange's personality. His statements that he intends to harm the United States won't help him with the judge. And a jury probably won't like him, the panelists predict.
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/40653249/ns/us_news-wikileaks_in_security/t/us-v-wikileaks-espionage-first-amendment/#.WH5VfPkrLIU

fj1200
01-17-2017, 12:41 PM
...really? The reason Assange is being pursued for the rape/sexual assist case in Sweden is so that once he is on Swedish soil, he can be extradited to the States.

American companies also tried to frame him as a pedophile within the last election cycle, though that was unsuccessful. The assumption is that DNC/Clinton ties were behind the companies which doesn't seem unreasonable. iirc even an FBI spokesman referred to him as a pedophile on the network news.

Nope, not really. Like I said I didn't look very far. See my post above. :)

Noir
01-17-2017, 12:44 PM
Nope, not really. Like I said I didn't look very far. See my post above. :)

Fair enough, I'm surprised s'all giving the amount of media attacking or praising Assange over these past few months that someone as politically aware as yourself is not aware of the outline of the case, not least the fact that this has been going on coming on a decade now.

fj1200
01-17-2017, 12:51 PM
Fair enough, I'm surprised s'all giving the amount of media attacking or praising Assange over these past few months that someone as politically aware as yourself is not aware of the outline of the case, not least the fact that this has been going on coming on a decade now.

I was very incorrect. I was assuming he would only have been guilty of receiving documents. :) I'd still take the bird in hand though.

hjmick
01-17-2017, 05:16 PM
Better start packing his bags...

Time for him to put up or shut up...

Obama to Free Manning, Jailed for a Vast Leak of U.S. Secrets (http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/obama-to-free-manning-jailed-for-a-vast-leak-of-us-secrets/ar-AAlXtr5?)

aboutime
01-17-2017, 06:24 PM
Why should anyone be surprised about Obama pardoning a TRAITOR? Traitor's....proven, or not proven..ALWAYS STICK TOGETHER.

Drummond
01-18-2017, 08:00 AM
Why should anyone be surprised about Obama pardoning a TRAITOR? Traitor's....proven, or not proven..ALWAYS STICK TOGETHER.
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Yes.

I see no other way of interpreting what Obama's just done.

I understand Obama asserts that America should be a 'forgiving' nation ? Forgive WHAT, exactly ? Just how far do you push the bar downwards before you get to a point where you DON'T 'forgive' ??

Are all sentences for all criminal acts open to being quashed, so you can prove yourself to have a 'forgiving' nature ?

No, Obama is showing his true traitorous nature (and yes, being traitorous to your country's interests is a very 'big deal' indeed, in case any passing Leftie doesn't comprehend that !!). That is the one and only interpretation possible.

Noir
01-19-2017, 04:21 AM
Better start packing his bags...

Time for him to put up or shut up...

Obama to Free Manning, Jailed for a Vast Leak of U.S. Secrets (http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/obama-to-free-manning-jailed-for-a-vast-leak-of-us-secrets/ar-AAlXtr5?)

His lawyer has confirmed his intention to move to the States, were he believes he will have a fair trail, they're currently trying to get a comment from an official state office that his rights will be protected.

fj1200
01-19-2017, 08:52 AM
His lawyer has confirmed his intention to move to the States, were he believes he will have a fair trail, they're currently trying to get a comment from an official state office that his rights will be protected.

As a non-citizen residing overseas he doesn't necessarily have the same rights. I think he'll get a fair trial though.

Noir
01-19-2017, 09:06 AM
As a non-citizen residing overseas he doesn't necessarily have the same rights. I think he'll get a fair trial though.

Yeah I guess it's down to what rights he will have.

Noir
01-19-2017, 03:54 PM
Assange gave a press conference via Periscope, answering questions put to him by Twitter, of course the extradition to the States was asked about, and he was pretty clear:
Wikileaks have never lost a case of this type, and believe that this case will be no different, and that the Obama administration abused the Espionage act severely while in office. They are currently in contact with the UK FCO and US DOJ awaiting confirmation of an extradition notice, and charges he will face.

Noir
01-21-2017, 12:53 PM
Here's a laugh, Wikileaks submitted a freedom of information request for if there is an extradition warrant for Assange on file, and the response, well, :laugh:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/90B936C3-DDFC-4E93-A354-4B79E5FB486A_zpsxq5auwsd.jpg (http://s80.photobucket.com/user/jonathan-mcc/media/90B936C3-DDFC-4E93-A354-4B79E5FB486A_zpsxq5auwsd.jpg.html)