PDA

View Full Version : Pork Soup?

MtnBiker
01-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Is it ethical for a group to hand out soup containing pork to feed homeless people?

Gaffer
01-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Sure. Its up to the people whether they want to eat it or not.

Missileman
01-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Is it ethical for a group to hand out soup containing pork to feed homeless people?

It is as long as there isn't some stupid motive behind it.

Gaffer
01-07-2007, 07:25 PM
I recommend serving it at Gitmo.

MtnBiker
01-07-2007, 07:50 PM
It is as long as there isn't some stupid motive behind it.

So you can only hand out food it it meets other people's criteria?

Missileman
01-07-2007, 07:55 PM
So you can only hand out food it it meets other people's criteria?

Did I say that? If the only motive for serving pork soup is too exclude Jews and Muslims, I'd call that unethical.

MtnBiker
01-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Did I say that? If the only motive for serving pork soup is too exclude Jews and Muslims, I'd call that unethical.

Not really the people who do not consume pork do so by their own choosing. They could have the pork soup if they chose to.

Missileman
01-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Not really the people who do not consume pork do so by their own choosing. They could have the pork soup if they chose to.

I bet you'd scream bloody murder if a Muslim-run shelter demanded everyone swear allegiance to Allah before getting fed. Of course a person's religion is by their own choosing and they could eat if they chose to. :rolleyes:

MtnBiker
01-07-2007, 08:14 PM
I bet you'd scream bloody murder if a Muslim-run shelter demanded everyone swear allegiance to Allah before getting fed. Of course a person's religion is by their own choosing and they could eat if they chose to. :rolleyes:

This is not about me. Your analogy would be unethical for the muslims to do as you describe it.

Missileman
01-07-2007, 08:16 PM
This is not about me. Your analogy would be unethical for the muslims to do as you describe it.

And as I said, whether serving pork soup is unethical or not depends on the motive behind the menu.

Gaffer
01-07-2007, 08:33 PM

Muslims only feed muslims. They will let you convert for food tho. And if you don't convert they will kill you. :D

Muslim shelters only serve muslims. No one else can get help there.

Missileman
01-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Muslims only feed muslims. They will let you convert for food tho. And if you don't convert they will kill you. :D

Muslim shelters only serve muslims. No one else can get help there.

Even if true, does that make it ethical to force a person in need to choose between upholding their religious principles or going hungry?

Gaffer
01-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Even if true, does that make it ethical to force a person in need to choose between upholding their religious principles or going hungry?

If its all I have to offer then they have to deal with it. I would be nice enough to put a sign up saying pork soup.

Dilloduck
01-07-2007, 10:03 PM

I'd bet a majority of Americans have to begrudgingly give up some principals to make a buck.

jillian
01-07-2007, 10:04 PM

People who don't eat pork because of their religious beliefs don't believe they have a choice.

Dilloduck
01-07-2007, 10:07 PM

Would it be more ethical to just quit feeding all starving people ?

Missileman
01-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Would it be more ethical to just quit feeding all starving people ?

I can't believe how many of you are arguing that it is ethical to intentionally make it likely for a person to go hungry. Actually, upon further reflection, I guess I can.

Dilloduck
01-07-2007, 10:19 PM
I can't believe how many of you are arguing that it is ethical to intentionally make it likely for a person to go hungry. Actually, upon further reflection, I guess I can.

I can't believe you would criticize anyone for feeding people for free.

MtnBiker
01-07-2007, 11:12 PM
I suppose vegetarians should never become in need of a food handout. They might become offended if someone offered them an animal protein.

Dilloduck
01-07-2007, 11:47 PM
I suppose vegetarians should never become in need of a food handout. They might become offended if someone offered them an animal protein.

Guess that's why you can buy everything from bacon bits to twinkies with food stamps.

Missileman
01-07-2007, 11:48 PM

Yeah, there's soooo many shelters where the only thing on the menu is meat. :rolleyes:

Evil
01-08-2007, 08:19 AM
Homeless, and going to a shelter for food? If they don't like the menu because of their faith then perhaps their faith can get them a job so they are'nt homeless. Screw em', find another shelter!

Pale Rider
01-08-2007, 11:07 AM

No ones asking the muslims to swear allegiance to Christianity before eating the pork soup either.

Missileman
01-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Homeless, and going to a shelter for food? If they don't like the menu because of their faith then perhaps their faith can get them a job so they are'nt homeless. Screw em', find another shelter!

That wasn't the gist of the thread. The question is: Would it be ethical for a shelter to intentionally serve an all-pork menu for the purpose of excluding jews and muslims?

Dilloduck
01-08-2007, 05:56 PM
That wasn't the gist of the thread. The question is: Would it be ethical for a shelter to intentionally serve an all-pork menu for the purpose of excluding jews and muslims?

well---that's what YOU changed it into anyway.

Evil
01-08-2007, 05:57 PM

Of course it would be unethical but I don't see that as being the original question either.

Missileman
01-08-2007, 05:59 PM
well---that's what YOU changed it into anyway.

The original question was "is serving pork unethical?". I got disagreement when I said it depended on motive, that's why the question has changed. Care to take a shot at it?

Dilloduck
01-08-2007, 06:00 PM
The original question was "is serving pork unethical?". I got disagreement when I said it depended on motive, that's why the question has changed. Care to take a shot at it?

I already did----how can giving food away be unethical ?

Pale Rider
01-08-2007, 06:03 PM

If they've served pork soup in the past, and it's only become an issue of late with new homeless muslims, then no, it's not unethical.

If someone decided, knowingly, that if they added pork soup to the menu, and hadn't served it prior, the muslims wouldn't eat it, then it's unethical.

Need more explaination?

Evil
01-08-2007, 06:04 PM

Is it unethical to serve pork? not at all, if someone does not like the menu they can go elsewhere. And the original question had nothing to with motive, simply provoked the thought of it being handed out to feed the hungry as unethical, and again that is up to the person to choose when seeking a hand out.

Missileman
01-08-2007, 06:04 PM
I already did----how can giving food away be unethical ?

You're answering MtnBiker's question, not mine.

Missileman
01-08-2007, 06:06 PM
If they've served pork soup in the past, and it's only become an issue of late with new homeless muslims, then no, it's not unethical.

If someone decided, knowingly, that if they added pork soup to the menu, and hadn't served it prior, the muslims wouldn't eat it, then it's unethical.

Need more explaination?

I've said nothing different than this since the beginning of the thread! :dunno:

Dilloduck
01-08-2007, 06:07 PM
You're answering MtnBiker's question, not mine.

You're assuming that one has more than pork soup to give to the hungry--what if it's all they have?

Missileman
01-08-2007, 06:08 PM
You're assuming that one has more than pork soup to give to the hungry--what if it's all they have?

Having nothing else to offer isn't "a stupid motive".

Dilloduck
01-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Having nothing else to offer isn't "a stupid motive".

gotcha--so you are against discrimination when feeding the hungry. :thumb:

MtnBiker
01-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Is it unethical to serve pork? not at all, if someone does not like the menu they can go elsewhere. And the original question had nothing to with motive, simply provoked the thought of it being handed out to feed the hungry as unethical, and again that is up to the person to choose when seeking a hand out.

Perfect!!

Abbey Marie
01-08-2007, 10:20 PM
This is based on a situation that happened in France, which I posted on USMB a weel or so ago. Not sure why MM is posing it here as hypothetical. Are we waiting for a "ta da!" moment here?

MtnBiker
01-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Actually I was the one that asked the orginal question and yes it was inspired from the event in France.

Abbey Marie
01-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Actually I was the one that asked the orginal question and yes it was inspired from the event in France.

Thanks for clarifying. I just assumed it was MM.

Missileman
01-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Thanks for clarifying. I just assumed it was MM.

Ta Da!

Abbey Marie
01-08-2007, 11:26 PM
Ta Da!

Repped you for that!

manu1959
01-09-2007, 12:04 AM

what differnce does it make:

A. god does not exist

and

2. sepration of church and state would preclude a govt. funded food program from making any accomodation for any religion

and

III. maybe the have it in for peta vegans?!

Gaffer
01-09-2007, 12:40 AM
Yeah it has nothing to do with religion, they are out to make the vegans suffer.

TheSage
01-09-2007, 06:42 AM

I bet .. I bet... Shut your idiotic trap.

TheSage
01-09-2007, 06:43 AM

Yes. You did say that. Are you having trouble understanding your own previous thoughts?

Missileman
01-09-2007, 08:09 AM
I bet .. I bet... Shut your idiotic trap.

Yes. You did say that. Are you having trouble understanding your own previous thoughts?

New name...same old boring, juvenile style. Run back outside and play little boy.