PDA

View Full Version : Bought a bunch of watches from China.

GravyBoat
01-18-2017, 01:35 AM
I spent a few bucks on a mess of watches from China. Just got this one on Amazon in the mail, took less than a week to get here from Hung Low or wherever. It has a kind of army vibe, really very nice, a steal at $28. The band is two-toned pleather, leather back with pleather on the top, it looks really great, I hope it holds up.

Tomoro Adventure

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9626&stc=1

https://www.amazon.com/TOMORO-Calendar-Leather-Quartz-Design/dp/B01MTU48AC/ref=lp_11492213011_1_8?srs=11492213011&ie=UTF8&qid=1484720896&sr=8-8

GravyBoat
01-18-2017, 01:45 AM
Got this Breed Ray at Jomashop in New York last week on sale for $63 with free shipping code. Now it's back up to $248. It's cool looking, a bit small on the wrist, but the bracelet is wide, so it has a moderate weight. The dial is actually a sort of flat silver not so white like in the photo.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9627&stc=1

https://www.jomashop.com/breed-watch-6505.html

Gunny
01-18-2017, 02:09 AM
Just curious, but why? I'm a total time freak. Always have a watch on. But I have only 2 (primary and backup). What's the attraction?

I want one of those aviator watches Rick Harrison from Pawn Stars pimps. No leather band for me though. I have to get the nylon ones if I want them to last even a year.

Balu
01-18-2017, 07:05 AM
Watches is an interesting topic.
Firstly, it is a device to see the time. Secondly, it is an attribute of the male costume, the same as a tie clip, cuff-links.
In the first case the main requirements to them are: reliability, convenience, accuracy, and their resistance to all sorts of influence. In the second - their brand and price as watches or pocket watch is an indicator of the status of the owner. Breguet and Rolex are quite all right for this purpose.

GravyBoat
01-18-2017, 12:36 PM
Just curious, but why? I'm a total time freak. Always have a watch on. But I have only 2 (primary and backup). What's the attraction?

I want one of those aviator watches Rick Harrison from Pawn Stars pimps. No leather band for me though. I have to get the nylon ones if I want them to last even a year.

About ten years ago, I splurged on knives after seeing that Collectible Cutlery show on late might TV for many years, I finally gave in. I spent about $1K on Frost Cutlery, which are actually nice pocketknives for $5 each. I also got some nice inexpensive damascus and bowies, sharp as hell. It was a passing fancy, same as this current watch fascination, I'll buy a few more and stop, have a couple dozen nice cheap watches. Heck, I never wore watches until recently, not since I was a little kid.

China makes watch parts for a huge part of the Swiss industry, who puts attention to detail into the construction, slaps "Swiss Made" on it, and jacks up the price ten-fold. But now China is turning out very nice watches for cheap.

This commercial for the Rick Harrison "American Aviator" watch is a hoot, more patriot pablum than a bowl of blood and guts, a watch made in China for Real 'Mericans:

https://a.govid1.com/IdeaVillage/AmericanAviatorWatch/IDVAAW/Site2/video1199.webm

Here's a very similar watch by Megir with date and chrono functions for $26:

https://www.amazon.com/Casual-Waterproof-Watches-Fashion-Calendar/dp/B01GN4CH48/ref=sr_1_50?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1484760149&sr=1-50&nodeID=6358540011&keywords=megir+military+watch

Gunny
01-18-2017, 05:54 PM
About ten years ago, I splurged on knives after seeing that Collectible Cutlery show on late might TV for many years, I finally gave in. I spent about $1K on Frost Cutlery, which are actually nice pocketknives for $5 each. I also got some nice inexpensive damascus and bowies, sharp as hell. It was a passing fancy, same as this current watch fascination, I'll buy a few more and stop, have a couple dozen nice cheap watches. Heck, I never wore watches until recently, not since I was a little kid.

China makes watch parts for a huge part of the Swiss industry, who puts attention to detail into the construction, slaps "Swiss Made" on it, and jacks up the price ten-fold. But now China is turning out very nice watches for cheap.

This commercial for the Rick Harrison "American Aviator" watch is a hoot, more patriot pablum than a bowl of blood and guts, a watch made in China for Real 'Mericans:

https://a.govid1.com/IdeaVillage/AmericanAviatorWatch/IDVAAW/Site2/video1199.webm

Here's a very similar watch by Megir with date and chrono functions for $26:

https://www.amazon.com/Casual-Waterproof-Watches-Fashion-Calendar/dp/B01GN4CH48/ref=sr_1_50?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1484760149&sr=1-50&nodeID=6358540011&keywords=megir+military+watch

Oh I got knives coming out of my ears. Never leave home without at least one. On deployment I usually had 3 or 4 on me at all times.

I just like the simplicity of old school watches. Especially now given my current medical situation. Wind 'em up and go. Can set it by pulling out the stem and moving the hands.

Elessar
01-18-2017, 10:18 PM
Oh I got knives coming out of my ears. Never leave home without at least one. On deployment I usually had 3 or 4 on me at all times.

I just like the simplicity of old school watches. Especially now given my current medical situation. Wind 'em up and go. Can set it by pulling out the stem and moving the hands.

I feel naked without a wristwatch and at least one pocket knife!

And my grandfather's old gold railroad watch still works! It is over 100 years old.

Gunny
01-19-2017, 02:25 AM

And my grandfather's old gold railroad watch still works! It is over 100 years old.

I want one of those.

CSM
01-19-2017, 08:28 AM

Same here

Gunny
01-19-2017, 08:43 AM
Same here

Reminds me of a story :laugh: Genius Junior LCpl bought himself this Rambo knife. Flashed it ll around like Billy Bada$$. We get in a bird going from shore to ship and Mr Bada$$ drops his $300 knife in the drink. And the dipstick thought we were actually going to stop and look for it. Yeah brainstorm .. that's the Atlantic Ocean. It ate your pretty knife. Wave bye.:laugh:

CSM
01-19-2017, 08:57 AM
Reminds me of a story :laugh: Genius Junior LCpl bought himself this Rambo knife. Flashed it ll around like Billy Bada$$. We get in a bird going from shore to ship and Mr Bada$$ drops his $300 knife in the drink. And the dipstick thought we were actually going to stop and look for it. Yeah brainstorm .. that's the Atlantic Ocean. It ate your pretty knife. Wave bye.:laugh:

That made me laugh. Good story!

Bilgerat
01-19-2017, 09:22 AM

I'm really tough on wrist watches, either break them or they start running slow. Guess I need or something :laugh:

So I bought this back a while ago. And since I usually don't go anywhere I just don't care what time it is (lol)

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0948/6450/products/army-us-coast-guard-pocket-watch-1.jpg?v=1467486320

Noir
01-19-2017, 09:53 AM
China makes watch parts for a huge part of the Swiss industry, who puts attention to detail into the construction, slaps "Swiss Made" on it, and jacks up the price ten-fold.

My partner who works in a high-end Jewellery store says this is simply not true. Swiss parts, Swiss construction, Swiss watch.

Noir
01-19-2017, 09:57 AM
Got this Breed Ray at Jomashop in New York last week on sale for $63 with free shipping code. Now it's back up to $248. It's cool looking, a bit small on the wrist, but the bracelet is wide, so it has a moderate weight. The dial is actually a sort of flat silver not so white like in the photo.

https://www.jomashop.com/breed-watch-6505.html

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
$248??? Down from $800??? Amazing.

GravyBoat
01-19-2017, 11:15 AM
My partner who works in a high-end Jewellery store says this is simply not true. Swiss parts, Swiss construction, Swiss watch.

I found this out on watch forums and doing research; Japan ruined the Swiss watch industry back in the early 80's, most every Swiss watchmaker was on the ropes, then Swatch (Swiss Watch) came into being, a holding company for most Swiss watchmaking companies. Most all of the old tried and true Swiss names still operating today are owned by Swatch, they're not just plastic watches and tiny cars, they own a majority of the Swiss watch industry. Aside from some boutique brands, the only watches being made entirely in Switzerland these days is Rolex and Rado. There are still movements being made in Switzerland, but things like the cases and bands, most of the parts, those are made in Asia.

So called "Made in America" guitars are being made in China. Companies like Gibson ship them the wood, they make the necks and body parts, then they're shipped back, minus the glue up, assembly, fretwork, and finish. Gibson has the attention to detail, they use top quality parts and pickups, so they can slap "Made in America" on it, then sell $150 of woodwork done in China for $4,500. I bought a Gibson Les Paul 'Suprome' from Daver on TradeTang for $350 including shipping, case, and $50 customs. That guitar is for all intents and purposes a $4,500 guitar, granted the pickups are stamped Epiphone, the fretwork is a bit dicey, but it's essentially a Gibson guitar.

US automakers now have major components made in China. We're now shipping China chickens, they process them, then they ship them back as McNuggets. Trump is right about China except for one thing, China's not taking advantage of the United States, China's taking advantage of opportunity.

Gunny
01-19-2017, 12:14 PM
I found this out on watch forums and doing research; Japan ruined the Swiss watch industry back in the early 80's, most every Swiss watchmaker was on the ropes, then Swatch (Swiss Watch) came into being, a holding company for most Swiss watchmaking companies. Most all of the old tried and true Swiss names still operating today are owned by Swatch, they're not just plastic watches and tiny cars, they own a majority of the Swiss watch industry. Aside from some boutique brands, the only watches being made entirely in Switzerland these days is Rolex and Rado. There are still movements being made in Switzerland, but things like the cases and bands, most of the parts, those are made in Asia.

So called "Made in America" guitars are being made in China. Companies like Gibson ship them the wood, they make the necks and body parts, then they're shipped back, minus the glue up, assembly, fretwork, and finish. Gibson has the attention to detail, they use top quality parts and pickups, so they can slap "Made in America" on it, then sell $150 of woodwork done in China for $4,500. I bought a Gibson Les Paul 'Suprome' from Daver on TradeTang for $350 including shipping, case, and $50 customs. That guitar is for all intents and purposes a $4,500 guitar, granted the pickups are stamped Epiphone, the fretwork is a bit dicey, but it's essentially a Gibson guitar.

US automakers now have major components made in China. We're now shipping China chickens, they process them, then they ship them back as McNuggets. Trump is right about China except for one thing, China's not taking advantage of the United States, China's taking advantage of opportunity.

Sorry, have to be semi-responsible at the moment. I have a 1942 Martin D-28. And I can play it.

Gunny
01-19-2017, 12:50 PM
Sorry, have to be semi-responsible at the moment. I have a 1942 Martin D-28. And I can play it.

So here's the trip. The devil decides to screw me over but doesn't bother to know I'm left handed. Screwed up the wrong hand, ass. And don't mind me. I got some damned good drugs.

I still DO want that cool watch though.

Noir
01-19-2017, 12:55 PM
most of the parts, those are made in Asia.

No, atleast 60% of the value of components must be of Swiss origin for them to be considered 'Swiss made'.

GravyBoat
01-19-2017, 01:05 PM

Now THAT'S an American Classic. Here's me strumming on an old Ovation Tornado, built by the same company that makes Huey chopper blades, although I can't really play it much. Player opens in new window:

http://picosong.com/zwQD/

GravyBoat
01-19-2017, 01:18 PM
No, at least 60% of the value of components must be of Swiss origin for them to be considered 'Swiss made'.

Okay, so 60% means the crown and mainspring are made in Bern, then assembled in Zurich. The term "60%" is meaningless, most "Swiss Made" watches have their cases, bracelets, and other components made in China. Look, everyone in the watch industry knows that the term "Swiss Made" is rhetoric, since China now makes most everything in the world. I've done a lot of research on this, Japan collapsed the Swiss watch industry, now China is looking to collapse the Swiss and Japan outright with great watches at a tenth the price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDrfE9I8_hs