PDA

View Full Version : Gravel Crashs Cab While On Iraq Rant

red states rule
08-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Sometimes the Dems just are to damn funny

Wacky Dem Mike Gravel Rants Against Iraq, Crashes Cab
By Geoffrey Dickens | August 1, 2007 - 13:16 ET
Video (0:55): Real (1.51 MB) or Windows (1.74 MB), plus MP3 audio (305 kB)

As part of a new segment on the "Today" show called "Candidate Cribs," NBC's Jonathan Alter went on a cab ride, with Democratic candidate Mike Gravel behind the wheel. However, Alter received more than a calm cruise through the city from the former Alaskan senator. In a gimmicky stunt, meant to showcase the candidate's past life as a New York City cabbie, Alter slid into the back seat for a ride but just after Gravel started griping about Iraq he crashed the taxi.

Alter: "Gravel is best remembered for helping end the Vietnam era draft with a filibuster and for reading the Pentagon Papers in the Senate. Now, after a quarter-century out of politics, he's an angry Rip Van Winkle."

Gravel: "I know how to get out of Iraq. I know how to affect the solution, it's a diplomatic solution."

Gravel: "Hang on!"

Off-camera voice: "Okay, we're okay."

Gravel: "Where's the-[bleeps]"

Off-camera voice: "The brakes went out."

After they got the cab working again, Gravel drove Alter to Columbia University where he was able to finish his anti-Iraq tirade in front of his supporters. Alter's camera crew focused-in on anti-war protest signs while Alter let Gravel spew the following: "The sooner we put some of our leaders in jail for what we do to the people, the sooner we're gonna stop people doing that!"

The following is the full transcript of the segment as it occurred on the August 1, "Today" show:

Matt Lauer: "This morning we are starting a new series called Candidate Cribs. A chance to get to know the human side of the presidential candidates. Take them back to the places that were important to them in the past. NBC's Jonathan Alter took a ride with Democratic contender, former Senator Mike Gravel. And let's just say the Senator did a bang-up job."

[On screen headline: "Candidate Cribs, Cruising With Mike Gravel"]

Jonathan Alter: "Mike Gravel."

Mike Gravel, behind the wheel of a cab: "American people are fed up with the partisanship. They're fed up with the phoniness and if I'm hitting it right, I'll become President."

Alter: "Former Alaska Senator Mike Gravel, now 77, drove a Checker Cab in New York in the 1950s, while attending Columbia University. So we decided to rent him a Checker and ride with him up to his alma mater. Did you ever get jumped or in any accidents?"

Gravel: "Twice, no, never had an accident. I was lucky, knock on something."

Alter: "Gravel is best remembered for helping end the Vietnam era draft with a filibuster and for reading the Pentagon Papers in the Senate. Now, after a quarter-century out of politics, he's an angry Rip Van Winkle."

Gravel: "I know how to get out of Iraq. I know how to affect the solution, it's a diplomatic solution."

Alter: "It turns out the Checker we rented didn't exactly have the best brakes."

Gravel: "Wait a second, let me press it to see if the fluid goes out. Okay?"

Alter: "Gravel the cabbie, may be a little rusty but not Gravel the politician."

Gravel: "If we set the tone we're gonna see a better result in the world than the tone of imperialism, violence and war that we have been setting. Can I say it more emphatically?"

[Footage of students with signs cheering for Gravel]

Gravel: "Let's go find a place to talk."

[Camera close-up on sign reading: "Columbia Democrats Say...End The War!"]

Gravel: "The sooner we put some of our leaders in jail for what we do to the people, the sooner we're gonna stop people doing that!"

Alter: "A ride on the wild side with Mike Gravel. For 'Today,' Jonathan Alter, NBC News, New York."

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/geoffrey-dickens/2007/08/01/today-wacky-dem-mike-gravel-rants-against-iraq-crashes-cab

Black Lance
08-01-2007, 11:51 PM
So was there something wrong with the cab, or did Gravel just crash?

red states rule
08-02-2007, 03:41 AM

Alter: "It turns out the Checker we rented didn't exactly have the best brakes."

Gravel: "Wait a second, let me press it to see if the fluid goes out. Okay?"

Alter: "Gravel the cabbie, may be a little rusty but not Gravel the politician."

Seems if the cab had a problem - besides the driver

actsnoblemartin
08-03-2007, 03:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rZdAB4V_j8

read the comments too lol

red states rule
08-03-2007, 04:53 AM

They have traced the cause of the accident to the malfunction to the nut behind the wheel