PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Police Learn to Manage School Shooting Rampages

waterrescuedude2000
08-01-2007, 10:45 PM
LAWRENCEBURG, Ind. --

Before the Columbine massacre, law enforcement officers said they used to set up outside a school and wait to send in the SWAT team.

But after several school shootings nationwide in the last eight years, authorities have learned more effective ways to manage the situation.

http://officer.com/web/online/Top-News-Stories/Indiana-Police-Learn-to-Manage-School-Shooting-Rampages/1$37182

Here is another thought legalize CCW holders to carry on school grounds including teachers. Front Sight has offered free 4 day tactical combat handgun training to teachers who would be allowed to carry. They did that the day after columbine. There have been a few instances where someone started shooting on school grounds and was stopped by a principal who had a gun in the car. CCW holders already have to go through an extensive background check. In my state you can carry on school grounds if you have a letter from either the principal of the school or the district superintendent. (I can carry at the school that my mom teaches at.) I know that with my military training that if I saw someone shooting at students I could act and stop it. But I doubt that its going to happen it is after all an elementary school.

Also Front Sight offered free 4 day tactical combat handgun course to pilots after 9-11 if the pilots could carry guns onto the plane and lock them in the cockpit.

diuretic
08-02-2007, 11:58 AM
It's called Active Shooter Response. I think it was developed after Columbine and I also think that some agencies are refusing to look at this new doctrine.

CCW holders would need a whole lot of training if they were going to try to use ASR tactics. I don't see it as such a good idea.

Monkeybone
08-02-2007, 12:48 PM
that is why schools in Indiana (atleast my county) have police officers that are in them the whole day. D.A.R.E. officers even carry guns to the class rooms now here.

darin
08-02-2007, 12:51 PM
What is a 'lot of training'? Doesn't seem to take much to train somebody to 'shoot the guy who is shooting people'.

Monkeybone
08-02-2007, 12:58 PM
i take it as "be calm...don't empty the whole clip..." that sorta stuff. maybe even trying to disarm? who knows

darin
08-02-2007, 01:02 PM
i take it as "be calm...don't empty the whole clip..." that sorta stuff. maybe even trying to disarm? who knows

You telling me that took 20 seconds. I'm trained now.

:D

nevadamedic
08-02-2007, 01:04 PM
LAWRENCEBURG, Ind. --

Before the Columbine massacre, law enforcement officers said they used to set up outside a school and wait to send in the SWAT team.

But after several school shootings nationwide in the last eight years, authorities have learned more effective ways to manage the situation.

http://officer.com/web/online/Top-News-Stories/Indiana-Police-Learn-to-Manage-School-Shooting-Rampages/1$37182

Here is another thought legalize CCW holders to carry on school grounds including teachers. Front Sight has offered free 4 day tactical combat handgun training to teachers who would be allowed to carry. They did that the day after columbine. There have been a few instances where someone started shooting on school grounds and was stopped by a principal who had a gun in the car. CCW holders already have to go through an extensive background check. In my state you can carry on school grounds if you have a letter from either the principal of the school or the district superintendent. (I can carry at the school that my mom teaches at.) I know that with my military training that if I saw someone shooting at students I could act and stop it. But I doubt that its going to happen it is after all an elementary school.

Also Front Sight offered free 4 day tactical combat handgun course to pilots after 9-11 if the pilots could carry guns onto the plane and lock them in the cockpit.

Fuck no. Letting people with Conceled Weapons Permits carry guns onto school property is just asking for trouble, are you mad?!? School police now carry weapons, they can handle the problems. Giving teachers guns as well is a bad idea. If I ever find out about a teacher carrying a gun to school, I will pull my daughter immediatly and I wont rest until they get fired.

diuretic
08-02-2007, 01:06 PM
What is a 'lot of training'? Doesn't seem to take much to train somebody to 'shoot the guy who is shooting people'.

That's what I mean. It looks simple, it isn't. Why do you think that cops, who are trained to a certain level, have special units who are very highly trained to do their work. It's not as simple as you seem to think and I say that without condescension, that's just how it is.

nevadamedic
08-02-2007, 01:07 PM
that is why schools in Indiana (atleast my county) have police officers that are in them the whole day. D.A.R.E. officers even carry guns to the class rooms now here.

Our school police here in Carson City have marked cars with red and blues. They carry every weapon that a normal Sheriff carries. From what I understand they also have some high powered weapons they keep at the schools or in the trunks of their cruisers like the regular cops do. There are always 1 or 2 of them at each school and two at the high school.

Monkeybone
08-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Our school police here in Carson City have marked cars with red and blues. They carry every weapon that a normal Sheriff carries. From what I understand they also have some high powered weapons they keep at the schools or in the trunks of their cruisers like the regular cops do. There are always 1 or 2 of them at each school and two at the high school.

like a totally dif department? "freeze dirt bag! SCHOOL POLICE!!"

we are small enough here that we have ones from our Police Department that do it.

waterrescuedude2000
08-02-2007, 08:21 PM

We also have school police department but only their detectives, supervisors, or patrol officers in car have guns (last time I checked). They can carry off duty but not on duty its stupid state sworn cops that can do everything a regular cop can.... Anyways.. Yeah they have regular marked patrol cars here as well with red and blues. About 6 months ago they had a guy with a gun crossing school grounds a school cop saw the gun and had to call RPD to respond cause he didn't have a gun.

Yurt
08-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Fuck no. Letting people with Conceled Weapons Permits carry guns onto school property is just asking for trouble, are you mad?!? School police now carry weapons, they can handle the problems. Giving teachers guns as well is a bad idea. If I ever find out about a teacher carrying a gun to school, I will pull my daughter immediatly and I wont rest until they get fired.

Why? Undercover or detectives do all the time.

waterrescuedude2000
08-02-2007, 09:05 PM

What is so wrong with it?? I have a CCW I had to take an 8 hour fuc*in course even though with my military experience I knew more than my instructor. And had to go to a shooting range and hit a human sized target from 7 14 and 21 feet without missing a single shot. That was no problem. You also have to go through a state and federal background check before being issued a CCW. SO whats so wrong with letting a parent who has a CCW dropping their kid off or chaperoning a field trip carrying a weapon?? So you would rather see your kid killed by a gunman?? Than have a teacher that could save your kids life?????? Sorry D. Got to disagree with you there
medic. :lame2:

nevadamedic
08-02-2007, 09:09 PM
We also have school police department but only their detectives, supervisors, or patrol officers in car have guns (last time I checked). They can carry off duty but not on duty its stupid state sworn cops that can do everything a regular cop can.... Anyways.. Yeah they have regular marked patrol cars here as well with red and blues. About 6 months ago they had a guy with a gun crossing school grounds a school cop saw the gun and had to call RPD to respond cause he didn't have a gun.

School Cops can carry guns in all counties in Nevada. They are sworn Police Officers. Like I said some school districts the school police even have high powered weapons in the trunks of their cars.

Yurt
08-02-2007, 09:16 PM
School Cops can carry guns in all counties in Nevada. They are sworn Police Officers. Like I said some school districts the school police even have high powered weapons in the trunks of their cars.

so because they are "sworn" you are ok with it?

Let me ask you something:

Do you support the principle of the school being able to get a CCW? You don't, and why? You indicated that you would pull you daughter out of school quicker than I can type "go."

Q: If the principle was going to do something crazy, a law forbidding him/her from carrying a gun on campus would not stop the crime, so what exactly are you opposed to?

waterrescuedude2000
08-02-2007, 10:49 PM
I mean I don't work for the school district but under Nevada state law if you have a CCW and a letter from either the superintendent or the school principal then you can carry on school campus. I carry when I go to my moms school sometimes.

nevadamedic
08-02-2007, 11:01 PM
I mean I don't work for the school district but under Nevada state law if you have a CCW and a letter from either the superintendent or the school principal then you can carry on school campus. I carry when I go to my moms school sometimes.

The hell you can. If the school board found out about that the Superintendant would be removed immediatly. If I ever found out anyone with or without a CCW has a gun on them anywhere near a school I would pin them and hold them until the police arrived, as I guarantee they would goto jail.

waterrescuedude2000
08-02-2007, 11:37 PM
The instructor that taught me said that you could if you had a letter. He knows his gun laws as he trains cops and D.E.A. So actually yeah you can I will find out the NRS for you

waterrescuedude2000
08-02-2007, 11:43 PM
The hell you can. If the school board found out about that the Superintendant would be removed immediatly. If I ever found out anyone with or without a CCW has a gun on them anywhere near a school I would pin them and hold them until the police arrived, as I guarantee they would goto jail.

Where Can I Not Carry Concealed?

As a permittee, it is illegal for you to carry firearms while on the premises of a public airport, public school or university, or public building with a metal detector at the door or a sign informing you that concealed firearms or weapons are prohibited, unless you have written permission to carry on those premises. A public building includes buildings and premises of the Federal, State, and local governments or school districts.

http://www.nsrpa.us/legal/nevlocal.html

There is the states laws on it.

nevadamedic
08-03-2007, 12:38 AM
Where Can I Not Carry Concealed?

As a permittee, it is illegal for you to carry firearms while on the premises of a public airport, public school or university, or public building with a metal detector at the door or a sign informing you that concealed firearms or weapons are prohibited, unless you have written permission to carry on those premises. A public building includes buildings and premises of the Federal, State, and local governments or school districts.

http://www.nsrpa.us/legal/nevlocal.html

There is the states laws on it.

Written permission would come fromthe School Board, and I guarantee that would never happen.

waterrescuedude2000
08-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Written permission would come fromthe School Board, and I guarantee that would never happen.

A superintendent or a principal is good enough according to my instructor who knows the state laws as he does teach police agencies throughout the country including the D.E.A.