PDA

View Full Version : The Wall- Genius

Abbey Marie
01-26-2017, 03:45 PM
Just read that Trump is proposing a 20% tax on goods coming in from Mexico to pay for the wall.

So, he WILL make Mexico pay for the wall. This man is genius.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-press-secretary-says-administration-201307362.html

http://theweek.com/speedreads/676151/trump-proposes-20-percent-import-tax-mexico-pay-wall

Black Diamond
01-26-2017, 03:48 PM
Just read that Trump will impose a 20% tax on goods coming in from Mexico to pay for the wall.

They said it couldn't be done.

They also said he wouldn't win a single primary, wouldn't reach 1237, would lose 40 states..

NightTrain
01-26-2017, 03:55 PM
There is no path to 270.

He will implode during the first primary debate.

Abbey Marie
01-26-2017, 03:57 PM
It's a double promise-fulfiller, lol. It also makes American companies think thrice about moving manufacturing down there.

Lib heads are spinning like Linda Blair's.

Black Diamond
01-26-2017, 04:09 PM
There is no path to 270.

He will implode during the first primary debate.
Blue wall.

NightTrain
01-26-2017, 04:14 PM
Blue wall.

Nate Silver.

Black Diamond
01-26-2017, 04:16 PM
It's a double promise-fulfiller, lol. It also makes American companies think thrice about moving manufacturing down there.

Lib heads are spinning like Linda Blair's.
Man that movie was scary.

Abbey Marie
01-26-2017, 04:17 PM

To this day, I won't watch it. But you cannot escape the head turning clip. :puke:

Abbey Marie
01-26-2017, 04:27 PM
How about a "Buy a Brick" program, too, like our local Library did when they were rebuilding? They inscribe your name or whatever you want inscribed on the brick you bought. I'd bet many of us would contribute.

:salute:

Kathianne
01-26-2017, 04:31 PM
If I understood correctly, he's proposing a tax on imports from Mexico to the US? If that is correct, we-the consumers whether Mexican or not will be paying for this, right?

Makes more sense to add a tax to money sent from US to Mexico by 'whomever.' Most of that would be from illegals back home.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Abbey Marie
01-26-2017, 04:35 PM
If I understood correctly, he's proposing a tax on imports from Mexico to the US? If that is correct, we-the consumers whether Mexican or not will be paying for this, right?

Makes more sense to add a tax to money sent from US to Mexico by 'whomever.' Most of that would be from illegals back home.

Companies will be loathe to increase prices on consumer products. It is not a winning corporate strategy for them as it will make them less able to compete. I think the tax will greatly decrease the amount they are interested in manufacturing in Mexico in the first place.

Kathianne
01-26-2017, 04:42 PM
Companies will be loathe to increase prices on consumer products. It is not a winning corporate strategy for them as it will make them less able to compete. I think the tax will greatly decrease the amount they are interested in manufacturing in Mexico in the first place.

Maybe I'm not understanding, it's only on US companies that would pick up the 20% tax? I thought that was going to apply to 'all imports' from US companies that located elsewhere and was 30%?

If it's only on say 'GM' parts or cars imported from Mexico, ok. Not sure that can be done though, from only 1 country.

If it's only all Mexican imports though, costs of groceries are going to jump significantly. As you note, Mexico unemployment will likely increase, creating more reasons for folks trying to get out.

Taxes would be passed onto the retailers, who will put it onto the consumer.

NightTrain
01-26-2017, 04:42 PM

I keep reading conflicting things... I just don't know.

Grabbing the $25 billion in wires to Mexico alone will pay for it, and that's not including the billions sent elsewhere by illegals. Makes sense to tax that money.

Kathianne
01-26-2017, 04:44 PM
I keep reading conflicting things... I just don't know.

Grabbing the $25 billion in wires to Mexico alone will pay for it, and that's not including the billions sent elsewhere by illegals. Makes sense to tax that money.

I agree, that puts the burden on those that are 'helping' Mexico and has really creating an incentive for Mexico to send and keep people here.

Noir
01-26-2017, 04:51 PM
So the costs are either passed into the customer, American, who in paying for it 'pays for the wall' or the customer refuses to pay and the tax money is not raised?

Kathianne
01-26-2017, 04:58 PM
So the costs are either passed into the customer, American, who in paying for it 'pays for the wall' or the customer refuses to pay and the tax money is not raised?

Not sure what you are asking here?

Abbey Marie
01-26-2017, 05:00 PM
Maybe I'm not understanding, it's only on US companies that would pick up the 20% tax? I thought that was going to apply to 'all imports' from US companies that located elsewhere and was 30%?

If it's only on say 'GM' parts or cars imported from Mexico, ok. Not sure that can be done though, from only 1 country.

If it's only all Mexican imports though, costs of groceries are going to jump significantly. As you note, Mexico unemployment will likely increase, creating more reasons for folks trying to get out.

Taxes would be passed onto the retailers, who will put it onto the consumer.

From Yahoo article above.

Spicer also said Trump wants to eventually expand the 20% import tax to all countries, not just Mexico, according to the report.

jimnyc
01-26-2017, 05:09 PM

Even if it's 100% paid for by Americans, I have no issue with that. Had the laws been enforced from the get go, we wouldn't be in this position. And I think a wall should have been there a long long time ago. But with that said, I've got no doubt that Trump will hit them in various ways, many discussed here already of course. The question will then come down to how quickly any monies can be made back.

fj1200
01-27-2017, 10:34 AM
The American consumer will pay for it. They always do.

Noir
01-27-2017, 10:37 AM
Not sure what you are asking here?

Kindof a roundabout summation that with a 20% tax either the customer (American) pays for it, or the money isn't raised, in neither case do the Mexicans pay for it.

SassyLady
01-27-2017, 08:17 PM
Kindof a roundabout summation that with a 20% tax either the customer (American) pays for it, or the money isn't raised, in neither case do the Mexicans pay for it.

Mexico will pay for it in loss of jobs when corporations move back to US to avoid tax. Mexico will no longer be getting tax on revenues. As Trump said ... it won't necessarily be a check from Mexico but it will pay in the long run.

Also, if we start taxing the money that's being sent back to Mexico from illegals working here we will at least be making something off of monies being reinvested into their economy and not ours.

aboutime
01-27-2017, 08:27 PM
I'm rather surprised, nobody commented on this thread mentioned WHY Trump wants to impose this 20%.
Truth is. If American products are sold, transported, carried to Mexico. AMERICA has to pay an EXPORT tax on everything while....Mexican products are sold, transported, and carried into the United States, across the border...WITHOUT ANY TAXES imposed.

Does anyone see what is wrong with that? Would you consider that FAIR TRADE if you were in business in the U.S. trying to sell your products?

TRUMP SAID IT...."It's not FAIR TRADE. And whoever negotiated that deal is STUPID!"

gabosaurus
01-27-2017, 11:32 PM
Mexico will pay for it in loss of jobs when corporations move back to US to avoid tax. Mexico will no longer be getting tax on revenues. As Trump said ... it won't necessarily be a check from Mexico but it will pay in the long run.

One of the major reasons why immigrants cross the border is because they either can't find jobs in Mexico, or the jobs available don't pay much. If you further deplete the Mexican job market, how does that remove incentive for their citizens to cross the border? It will just fatten the market for the coyotes who smuggle people across the border for profit.

Also, if we start taxing the money that's being sent back to Mexico from illegals working here we will at least be making something off of monies being reinvested into their economy and not ours.

This has already been tried. If you impose government fees on remittances, immigrants will go back to sending cash or off-market services. The large corporations that make profits of remittances (like Western Union) will lose money and be forced to lay off thousands of workers. Banks will also suffer.

Balu
01-27-2017, 11:37 PM
Just read that Trump is proposing a 20% tax on goods coming in from Mexico to pay for the wall.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-press-secretary-says-administration-201307362.html

http://theweek.com/speedreads/676151/trump-proposes-20-percent-import-tax-mexico-pay-wall
Don't forget that President Trump is an experienced businessman and he knows HOW to gain profit.

gabosaurus
01-27-2017, 11:51 PM
I'm rather surprised, nobody commented on this thread mentioned WHY Trump wants to impose this 20%.
Truth is. If American products are sold, transported, carried to Mexico. AMERICA has to pay an EXPORT tax on everything while....Mexican products are sold, transported, and carried into the United States, across the border...WITHOUT ANY TAXES imposed.

What is your source on this?

Balu
01-28-2017, 12:35 AM
The American consumer will pay for it. They always do.
More likely the Mexican Seller will pay for it, reducing the contract prices not to be pushed from the US market.

Drummond
01-28-2017, 04:14 AM
One of the major reasons why immigrants cross the border is because they either can't find jobs in Mexico, or the jobs available don't pay much. If you further deplete the Mexican job market, how does that remove incentive for their citizens to cross the border? It will just fatten the market for the coyotes who smuggle people across the border for profit.

Have you really missed the point, or are you only 'conveniently' doing so ?

The point of the wall is to try to stop ILLEGAL immigration into the US.

That means what it says. Illegals are those who have no right whatever to cross over from Mexico into US territory.

Now, argue all you like about the Mexican job market .. but the simple fact here is that this is illegal activity being discussed. Such activity is something that Mexico itself should've dealt with, long ago. HOWEVER ... if you want to plead the case that the Mexican jobs market will be 'further' depleted, well, surely, for those Mexicans to be crossing over the border in the first place, their jobs market must already be in a dire state ??

Ask yourself why the US taxpayer should pick up the tab for a situation wholly of Mexico's creation.

NO ... I admire Trump for taking the action he promised to take. That man's a phenomenon and a half !! So much done already, and he's only been in his job for just barely more than a week !!!

Wow !!

Gabby, don't you wish 'your man', Obama, had had even ten percent of the dynamic energy that Trump clearly has ?

In any case, in Trump, you have a staunch patriot. Someone energised to fix problems in the shortest time he can, and as completely and efficiently as he can. In Obama, you had a lacklustre President whose agenda was a wrecking one ....

fj1200
01-28-2017, 08:59 PM
More likely the Mexican Seller will pay for it, reducing the contract prices not to be pushed from the US market.

At most you can say it would be shared but the consumer will pay a higher cost regardless of source, domestic or foreign, as a percentage of the competition will have to raise prices.

aboutime
01-28-2017, 09:10 PM

This has already been tried. If you impose government fees on remittances, immigrants will go back to sending cash or off-market services. The large corporations that make profits of remittances (like Western Union) will lose money and be forced to lay off thousands of workers. Banks will also suffer.

gabby. NOTICE. Bottom line, and nothing else needs to be said. ANYONE, FROM ANY NATION WHO ENTERS THE U.S.A. ILLEGALLY, is not obeying OUR LAWS. They are ILLEGAL if they come here without permission. THAT'S THAT! FACTS. NOTHING BUT FACTS.

Balu
01-28-2017, 09:32 PM
At most you can say it would be shared but the consumer will pay a higher cost regardless of source, domestic or foreign, as a percentage of the competition will have to raise prices.

I have to disagree. I used to think the higher competition is, the lower prices are.
But there is another important point. Simplifying the the scheme we have two chains: Mexican Seller-American Buyer-domestic commercial network (transportation included) and a final domestic Customer. Or an American manufacturer-domestic commercial network and a final domestic Customer.
In the first case in the retail price of an item there is a labor of a 'Pedro' the Customer pays his money for. In the second case he pays for the labor of 'John', who may be you neighbor or even a friend who thus is earning money and spends them in the USA to support himself and his family. So, you may decide what is better for American Society. And I have not raised yet the question of dependence on foreign countries.http://s19.rimg.info/aee19e2775457d135efdf745e7d94e15.gif (http://smayliki.ru/smilie-1224821991.html)

fj1200
01-28-2017, 09:44 PM
I have to disagree. I used to think the higher competition is, the lower prices are.
But there is another important point. Simplifying the the scheme we have two chains: Mexican Seller-American Buyer-domestic commercial network (transportation included) and a final domestic Customer. Or an American manufacturer-domestic commercial network and a final domestic Customer.
In the first case in the retail price of an item there is a labor of a 'Pedro' the Customer pays his money for. In the second case he pays for the labor of 'John', who may be you neighbor or even a friend who thus is earning money and spends them in the USA to support himself and his family. So, you may decide what is better for American Society. And I have not raised yet the question of dependence on foreign countries.http://s19.rimg.info/aee19e2775457d135efdf745e7d94e15.gif (http://smayliki.ru/smilie-1224821991.html)

Exactly and this is a lowering of competition thereby increasing prices. The rest of your gobbledygook is disproved by comparative advantage.

Balu
01-28-2017, 10:04 PM
Exactly and this is a lowering of competition thereby increasing prices. The rest of your gobbledygook is disproved by comparative advantage.
There are two things on the scales - the interests of Society and today's interest of the individual. And these are you who will make a choice. So...
Besides the American market is very capacious, thus very attractive for ALL the exporters to get their place on. It is very difficult to penetrate on any market and very easy to loose it forever. But this is a headache of Mexicans, not yours.

fj1200
01-30-2017, 10:05 AM
There are two things on the scales - the interests of Society and today's interest of the individual. And these are you who will make a choice. So...
Besides the American market is very capacious, thus very attractive for ALL the exporters to get their place on. It is very difficult to penetrate on any market and very easy to loose it forever. But this is a headache of Mexicans, not yours.

It seems we've made it to the point of the conversation where you don't really say anything; many words but not much there. I'm not sure if you're under the impression that the US doesn't make anything because we make plenty and more than ever, we just do it with fewer people devoted to the effort. We also have many other advantages over foreign competitors and Mexico is no different. They may have low labor rates but that's about where it ends. We have superior rule of law, private property rights, capital advantages, etc. with which to compete.

Balu
01-30-2017, 10:26 AM
It seems we've made it to the point of the conversation where you don't really say anything; many words but not much there. I'm not sure if you're under the impression that the US doesn't make anything because we make plenty and more than ever, we just do it with fewer people devoted to the effort. We also have many other advantages over foreign competitors and Mexico is no different. They may have low labor rates but that's about where it ends. We have superior rule of law, private property rights, capital advantages, etc. with which to compete.
Sorry, but I am expressing my thoughts as I can. And this is not always in the mode: 'street-street, avenue-avenue'. But I hope that some from the board understood what I spoke about.

fj1200
01-30-2017, 10:33 AM
Sorry, but I am expressing my thoughts as I can. And this is not always in the mode: 'street-street, avenue-avenue'. But I hope that some from the board understood what I spoke about.

One can always hope. :thumb:

Gunny
01-30-2017, 11:04 AM

Simple Simon is an easy read.

pete311
01-30-2017, 11:36 AM
Either the consumer pays the 20% increase (companies will not sit and take a 20% bath), or Americans will have to embrace fruit and veggies from say China.

NightTrain
01-30-2017, 12:59 PM
Either the consumer pays the 20% increase (companies will not sit and take a 20% bath), or Americans will have to embrace fruit and veggies from say China.

Or we'll grow them domestically and pay a quarter more for them. The horror!

pete311
01-30-2017, 01:32 PM
It adds up. You can't just snap your fingers and we produce everything we need. For example it takes 5 years for an avocado tree to bear fruit. This attitude is anti-progress (more efficient and cheaper) and free market.

NightTrain
01-30-2017, 02:05 PM
It adds up. You can't just snap your fingers and we produce everything we need. For example it takes 5 years for an avocado tree to bear fruit. This attitude is anti-progress (more efficient and cheaper) and free market.

Avacados? Really, that's the best you've got? California produces avacados as well, a lot of them.

I guess those avacado kingpins had better pressure Nieto into doing what Trump wants then, yes?

I like guacamole as much as the next guy, but it's not a show stopper. If I want guacamole bad enough, I'll buy some.

King Crab here in Alaska is $26 / pound last time I looked. I like King Crab, a LOT. However, even though I could buy it, at those prices I won't. I like steaks, too, and those are pretty cheap.

I don't think we'll experience any kind of Potato Famine from a rise in avacado prices.

Here's your chance to make a ton of money by investing in avacado futures! Don't forget your old pals here at DP when you become an international playboy man-of-mystery.

Abbey Marie
01-30-2017, 02:36 PM
Gee, are Dems wringing their hands over produce now?

:rolleyes:

Gunny
01-30-2017, 02:40 PM
Avacados? Really, that's the best you've got? California produces avacados as well, a lot of them.

I guess those avacado kingpins had better pressure Nieto into doing what Trump wants then, yes?

I like guacamole as much as the next guy, but it's not a show stopper. If I want guacamole bad enough, I'll buy some.

King Crab here in Alaska is $26 / pound last time I looked. I like King Crab, a LOT. However, even though I could buy it, at those prices I won't. I like steaks, too, and those are pretty cheap.

I don't think we'll experience any kind of Potato Famine from a rise in avacado prices.

Here's your chance to make a ton of money by investing in avacado futures! Don't forget your old pals here at DP when you become an international playboy man-of-mystery.

Petey doesn't get around. We had avocado trees in our back yard in Miami. They were everywhere. You can find anything you ever even thought you wanted to eat in the South. Usually, you just pick a rural route and shop the pickups parked on the side. If they're expensive type vendors they might have a cooler of lemonade or sweet tea. I can drive 15 minutes up the road and get all the fresh fruit my little heart desires.

Gunny
01-30-2017, 02:46 PM
And to show you where my head's at, I was thinking watermelon. I have 3 orange trees, a lemon tree, 2 black berry bushes, and a pomegranite tree right outside the back door. We were giving away Homer buckets full of oranges so they didn't rot. Also got 2 pear trees.

Elessar
01-30-2017, 04:49 PM

I saw it at a drive-in...laughed my ass off!

Elessar
01-30-2017, 04:49 PM
How about a "Buy a Brick" program, too, like our local Library did when they were rebuilding? They inscribe your name or whatever you want inscribed on the brick you bought. I'd bet many of us would contribute.

:salute:

Wow! I could do that!

Black Diamond
01-30-2017, 04:51 PM
I saw it at a drive-in...laughed my ass off!
I never got why people said jaws was the scariest. But I know a lot of people who do.

Elessar
01-30-2017, 04:55 PM

Put the existing transients and homeless to work gathering crops and do not rely on illegals to do it.
What is so hard about that?

Elessar
01-30-2017, 05:03 PM
I never got why people said jaws was the scariest. But I know a lot of people who do.

I saw that when I was a lifeguard on the beach....could not believe how paranoid people got
over that movie. They'd see a dolphin and cry SHARK!:laugh:

Gunny
01-30-2017, 05:16 PM
I saw that when I was a lifeguard on the beach....could not believe how paranoid people got

Bubba, I lived in Miami when that movie came out. Talk about nuking tourism at the beach.:laugh:

Abbey Marie
01-30-2017, 06:06 PM

I saw it at the beach. Had trouble sleeping that night, and the next day, I was hyper-vigilant in the water.

Big ol' coward here!
:shark:

Black Diamond
01-30-2017, 06:26 PM
I saw it at the beach. Had trouble sleeping that night, and the next day, I was hyper-vigilant in the water.

Big ol' coward here!
:shark:
I wonder if the commercials played into it. "See it before you go swimming"

Elessar
01-30-2017, 08:21 PM
I wonder if the commercials played into it. "See it before you go swimming"

I just always found it amazing. There is a big difference between a shark fin and a dolphin fin. Sharks are more
squared off - like a triangle. Dolphins look closer to a crescent shape

Black Diamond
01-30-2017, 08:21 PM
I just always found it amazing. There is a big difference between a shark fin and a dolphin fin. Sharks are more
Correct.

Elessar
01-30-2017, 08:28 PM
Correct.

Just plain ignorance, BD!:laugh:

SassyLady
01-31-2017, 03:25 AM

One of the major reasons they cross the border is for the benefits as well. Perhaps Americans will get a tax cut if we aren't supporting illegals and that creates more discretionary income to buy the higher priced goods. Might seem like a wash, however, less immigrants less burden on infrastructure.

Hopefully the wall will diminish coyote crossings.

Mexico should take care of their own.

So, taxpayers should suffer so the illegals, corporations and banks don't? Illogical.

Balu
01-31-2017, 05:32 AM
One of the major reasons they cross the border is for the benefits as well. Perhaps Americans will get a tax cut if we aren't supporting illegals and that creates more discretionary income to buy the higher priced goods. Might seem like a wash, however, less immigrants less burden on infrastructure.

Hopefully the wall will diminish coyote crossings.

Mexico should take care of their own.

So, taxpayers should suffer so the illegals, corporations and banks don't? Illogical.
As far as illegals are concerned, there is NO subject to speak about at all. Illegals HAVE ALREADY violated the USA Laws with all the consequences, as to violate the USA Laws was their CONSCIOUS decision and step.

Gunny
01-31-2017, 08:52 AM

If you ever took the Universal Studios tour and saw that fake-ass looking POS you'd probably drown because you couldn't stop laughing. Help! I'm being attacked by a puppet! :laugh2:

I know a real shark when I see one. Up close and personal. I went over the bow with one hand so fast you'd have thought I was the Flash. :laugh:

fj1200
01-31-2017, 09:38 AM

It seems we agree: American consumers will pay.

fj1200
01-31-2017, 09:41 AM
Put the existing transients and homeless to work gathering crops and do not rely on illegals to do it.
What is so hard about that?

We don't do forced labor?

NightTrain
01-31-2017, 10:31 AM
It seems we agree: American consumers will pay.

I already buy American whenever possible. It's the responsible thing to do.

fj1200
01-31-2017, 10:34 AM
I already buy American whenever possible. It's the responsible thing to do.

So American consumers pay then.

NightTrain
01-31-2017, 10:42 AM
So American consumers pay then.

I support American jobs with my dollar, FJ, whenever I have a choice. Frequently, that means I pay more.

Do you?

fj1200
01-31-2017, 10:45 AM
I support American jobs with my dollar, FJ, whenever I have a choice. Frequently, that means I pay more.

Do you?

Honestly it's not in my daily thought process. Free trade is grand.

NightTrain
01-31-2017, 10:52 AM
Honestly it's not in my daily thought process. Free trade is grand.

Responsibility and supporting American workers is not for everyone, I suppose.

fj1200
01-31-2017, 10:56 AM
Responsibility and supporting American workers is not for everyone, I suppose.

Your faulty premise is showing again.

NightTrain
01-31-2017, 11:02 AM
Your faulty premise is showing again.

My faulty premise?

How exactly is my personal support with voting with my dollar in favor of American goods faulty?

fj1200
01-31-2017, 11:05 AM
My faulty premise?

How exactly is my personal support with voting with my dollar in favor of American goods faulty?

That's not the reference. It's that those who don't make sure they "buy American" aren't supporting American workers.

NightTrain
01-31-2017, 11:10 AM
That's not the reference. It's that those who don't make sure they "buy American" aren't supporting American workers.

I see.

How is your buying foreign made products good for American workers?

fj1200
01-31-2017, 11:11 AM
I see.

How is your buying foreign made products good for American workers?

It's the same answer you didn't understand before. Comparative advantage; they win, we win.

NightTrain
01-31-2017, 11:13 AM
It's the same answer you didn't understand before. Comparative advantage; they win, we win.

Who is 'we'?

fj1200
01-31-2017, 11:15 AM
Who is 'we'?

In the words of a 16-year old, SC beauty pageant contestant, "US Americaaaaans."

NightTrain
01-31-2017, 11:18 AM
In the words of a 16-year old, SC beauty pageant contestant, "US Americaaaaans."

I see.

Do you think the laid off auto worker would consider that 'winning'?

How about the American truck drivers that supply and distribute those autos?

What about the nearby support infrastructure workers - was that a 'win' for them, too?

fj1200
01-31-2017, 11:22 AM
I see.

Do you think the laid off auto worker would consider that 'winning'?

How about the American truck drivers that supply and distribute those autos?

What about the nearby support infrastructure workers - was that a 'win' for them, too?

Capitalism is no guarantee that people don't lose their jobs. Free trade is no different. Shall we talk about how we agree that the OP is incorrect?

NightTrain
01-31-2017, 11:23 AM
Capitalism is no guarantee that people don't lose their jobs. Free trade is no different. Shall we talk about how we agree that the OP is incorrect?

Answer the questions.

Did those Americans 'win'?

I'd say the mexican workers won, wouldn't you allow?

fj1200
01-31-2017, 11:28 AM
Answer the questions.

Did those Americans 'win'?

I'd say the mexican workers won, wouldn't you allow?

Of course they did. I posted previously how we lost manufacturing jobs but gained higher paying jobs on average. Not to mention lower overall costs for consumers.

Really, it's covered under the whole "we win, they win" thing.

NightTrain
01-31-2017, 11:32 AM
Of course they did. I posted previously how we lost manufacturing jobs but gained higher paying jobs on average. Not to mention lower overall costs for consumers.

Really, it's covered under the whole "we win, they win" thing.

So, to be truthful and accurate, all Americans did not benefit from mexican made / American sold autos, did they?

fj1200
01-31-2017, 11:36 AM
So, to be truthful and accurate, all Americans did not benefit from mexican made / American sold autos, did they?

No. All Americans did benefit as all Americans are consumers. Can you find some folks that couldn't find a better job? I'm sure that you can cherry pick a few examples. But I've said for years we have an awful corporate tax environment in this country.

NightTrain
01-31-2017, 11:39 AM
All Americans did benefit as all Americans are consumers. Can you find some folks that couldn't find a better job? I'm sure that you can. But I've said for years we have an awful corporate tax environment in this country.

So, we can agree that all Americans did not benefit. Excellent.

0bama shrugging and encouraging Carrier employees to go find a job building windmills or solar panels wasn't really beneficial to them, either, was it? As it turns out, all that was needed was a simple leverage from the White House to correct that course of action.

Gunny
01-31-2017, 11:40 AM
No. All Americans did benefit as all Americans are consumers. Can you find some folks that couldn't find a better job? I'm sure that you can cherry pick a few examples. But I've said for years we have an awful corporate tax environment in this country.

Get rid of the unions. THAT is the difference. You cut out their overhead and we're paying on an even keel. THEY are the exact reason we have companies overseas.

fj1200
01-31-2017, 11:42 AM
So, we can agree that all Americans did not benefit. Excellent.

0bama shrugging and encouraging Carrier employees to go find a job building windmills or solar panels wasn't really beneficial to them, either, was it? As it turns out, all that was needed was a simple leverage from the White House to correct that course of action.

You missed my edits:

My apologies.

fj1200
01-31-2017, 11:42 AM
Get rid of the unions. THAT is the difference. You cut out their overhead and we're paying on an even keel. THEY are the exact reason we have companies overseas.

An important factor no doubt.

Elessar
01-31-2017, 01:42 PM

I lost two part-time jobs in the mid 70's due to a United Mine Workers Union strike that
crippled WV and KY. It forced me to drop out of college.

When the UMW went out, the truckers acted in sympathy with them. Then the railroads slowed down
drastically because they were not hauling coal.

That put literally thousands out of work in the coal region.

Gunny
01-31-2017, 02:02 PM
I lost two part-time jobs in the mid 70's due to a United Mine Workers Union strike that
crippled WV and KY. It forced me to drop out of college.

When the UMW went out, the truckers acted in sympathy with them. Then the railroads slowed down
drastically because they were not hauling coal.

That put literally thousands out of work in the coal region.

It's too bad. That entire region is beautiful and I wouldn't mind living there at all. There're no jobs. Between the unions and the EPA, they killed it.

fj1200
02-01-2017, 10:19 AM
It's too bad. That entire region is beautiful and I wouldn't mind living there at all. There're no jobs. Between the unions and the EPA, they killed it.

And mechanization.