PDA

View Full Version : Draining swamp at State Department

SassyLady
01-27-2017, 01:51 AM
And so it begins .....

State Department officials traditionally submit their resignations at the beginning of every new administration as a sign of respect, but it is largely a symbolic gesture.
Patrick Kennedy, the State Department's undersecretary for management who has served as a foreign-service officer since 1973, resigned along with the Assistant Secretary of State for Administration Joyce Anne Barr, Assistant Secretary of State for Consular Affairs Michele Bond, and Ambassador Gentry O. Smith, director of the Office of Foreign Missions.
According to CNN, Kennedy, Bond, Barr, and Smith were all sent letters by the White House accepting their resignations and informing them that their service was no longer required.

http://www.businessinsider.com/top-management-officials-at-state-department-resign-en-masse-2017-1

CSM
01-27-2017, 07:17 AM
And so it begins .....

http://www.businessinsider.com/top-management-officials-at-state-department-resign-en-masse-2017-1

Yep... looks like a GREAT start to me!

Gunny
01-27-2017, 09:09 AM
Yep... looks like a GREAT start to me!

Talk about a backfired plan.:laugh:

NightTrain
01-27-2017, 09:17 AM
Kennedy was the one actively trying to cut deals with the FBI to downgrade email classifications in return for arranging overseas diplomatic issues and had an inept hand in the Benghazi tragedy.

There's a few less gators out in the swamp... there's still a bunch more though.

EPA and IRS are high on my personal list of a massive housecleaning... and I hope Trump goes hard-n-deep on them.

Gunny
01-27-2017, 09:19 AM
I just HAD to come back to this one because I'm STILL LMAO!:laugh2:

"Here's my symbolic resignation letter".

"Thanks. We accept. Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya." :laugh2:

Dumbasses. Would NEVER catch me doing sh*r like that. They might accept. Looks like they did.:laugh:

revelarts
01-27-2017, 09:22 AM
I'm all for draining the swamp but I'd like more specific reasons to get rid of people in the bureaucracy than ... hey they've been there a long time... and they MIGHT have been pressured by Hillary while she was there for 10 minutes.

Having the head of Exxon over the state dept doesn't fill me with confidence that the new people are going to be better.
Exxon was part of the SWAMP! Confirmed Influence peddlers, ridding the State dept, other U.S. foreign affairs people and politicians to help their biz around the world.

Gunny
01-27-2017, 09:31 AM
I'm all for draining the swamp but I'd like more specific reasons to get rid of people in the bureaucracy than ... hey they've been there a long time... and they MIGHT have been pressured by Hillary while she was there for 10 minutes.

Having the head of Exxon over the state dept doesn't fill me with confidence that the new people are going to be better.
Exxon was part of the SWAMP! Confirmed Influence peddlers, ridding the State dept, other U.S. foreign affairs people and politicians to help their biz around the world.

In a good mood again today are we, Simon?

I'm for draining the swamp and NOT refilling it. And I don't care what reason they give. If you'd ever been sentenced to a term in DC (a so-called reward) you'd change your mind. Everyone thinks the President runs DC. Wrong. The bureaucracy does. A bunch of useless maggots performing mindless and needless tasks to collect a check.

Clean house.

NightTrain
01-27-2017, 09:41 AM

While losing 3 top guys right out of the gate will initially make Tillerson's job harder, they were not irreplaceable. Sounds like they'll simply promote the next tier level to step up and continue running the shop.

Research what Kennedy was up to - he's the typical 0bama / Clinton flunky with no qualms with doing shady shit to cover up misdeeds. Definitely needed to get booted, I don't know about the other two.

As far as Rex, he's a professional and kicked ass for his company. Now he's working for us, and he'll kick ass for the country.

This is an admin full of Alphas - have you ever seen so much shit getting done so fast with the right goals in mind? I know I never have in my 46 years - this is amazing.

That's what putting together an A-Team of winners does instead of rewarding inept sycophants who helped you get elected. The administration isn't even fully assembled yet and things are moving!

Kathianne
01-27-2017, 10:02 AM
They tendered their resignations like they were supposed to. 4 were told, 'Thanks for your service, resignation accepted.' They were basically 'let go.' They didn't resign, in fact Kennedy was trying to keep the position.

Patrick Kennedy was the one that tried to get the FBI to reclassify a Hillary email, not that the one or two would have made a difference in the long haul, but he tried to insert himself.

He also had influence on Benghazi.

As for the other 3? I don't know.

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/several-senior-state-department-diplomats-on-way-out/article_16c5fc19-2517-50f4-b6f0-4c56ac9c0950.html

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/25/under-secretary-patrick-kennedy-out-at-state-department.html

Gunny
01-27-2017, 10:10 AM
Abject lesson revelarts .... the difference between you and I .... I don't like Trump. Never have. But he is president now and no matter what you think, I am ALWAYS hopeful. You're always pissing on everyone.

I get up every morning, go outside and try to run. I can get 4 steps now before I fall down. I'm going to get up and try again tomorrow. I'll get that 5th step. End of the street. Around the block. But I don't quit and I ALWAYS get back up. And I STILL have to use a cane to go anywhere.

You'd still be sitting on the sofa bitching about what the doctors, God and the GOP did to you, reading your JFK conspiracy theory books.

As I said, I'm not a Trumpy. Conversely, I feel no need to piss all over everyone that is. And there is ALWAYS hope.

Kathianne
01-27-2017, 12:27 PM
Wow, when Vox is 'explaining how WaPo misleads,' look to the sky for pigs!

http://www.vox.com/world/2017/1/27/14405542/washington-post-state-department-resignations

A viral Washington Post story about State Department resignations is very misleading
Updated by Zack Beauchamp (http://www.vox.com/authors/zack-beauchamp)@zackbeauchamp (http://www.twitter.com/zackbeauchamp)zack@vox.com <time class="c-byline__item" data-ui="timestamp" style="color: rgb(102, 102, 102); font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; text-decoration: inherit; box-sizing: border-box; vertical-align: inherit; line-height: inherit; margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"> Jan 27, 2017, 7:50am EST

</time>

NightTrain
01-27-2017, 12:32 PM
BBC is still reporting that it was a principled walkout, though.

Hoping we'll start seeing more neutral reporting, but so far that's not happening.

You know that VOX jumped in to get an easy shot while the rival beast is on the ground, not actually for any kind of journalistic ethics reasons.

Gunny
01-27-2017, 01:05 PM
BBC is still reporting that it was a principled walkout, though.

Hoping we'll start seeing more neutral reporting, but so far that's not happening.

You know that VOX jumped in to get an easy shot while the rival beast is on the ground, not actually for any kind of journalistic ethics reasons.

The media has never had any integrity. It's beyond the pale now. They've been completely insane since Watergate.

NightTrain
01-27-2017, 01:15 PM
The media has never had any integrity. It's beyond the pale now. They've been completely insane since Watergate.

Maybe I'm being cynical, but it seems to me that most MSM have dropped all pretense at being objective since about last September... IMO, they went all in and never looked back.

Gunny
01-27-2017, 01:31 PM
Maybe I'm being cynical, but it seems to me that most MSM have dropped all pretense at being objective since about last September... IMO, they went all in and never looked back.

They dropped any pretense of objectivity with Watergate and Iran-Contra. Before that, instead of attacking the President, they covered for them. Now, they want a story more than they want to be responsible Americans that actually have a country they should care about.

Woodrow Wilson and FDR were invalids in office and the media covered it up. They blame Hoover for the Depression when it was actually Dem policies that created it. The Civil War was nor fought over slavery. It was fought over money and power.

Our Founding Fathers committed treason against our king because they didn't want to pay their taxes.

The media presentation of all of the above is BS. And the list goes on throughout our history. And sheeple believe it.

revelarts
01-27-2017, 06:46 PM
Abject lesson @revelarts (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=1760) .... the difference between you and I .... I don't like Trump. Never have. But he is president now and no matter what you think, I am ALWAYS hopeful. You're always pissing on everyone.
Difference is I'm always hoping for elected officials and bureaucrats to be ethical and constitutional and when i see things off those tracks or looking like they are pointed off those tracks I tend to say something about it. No matter what party they are from.

Gunny I think i understand that in the military that when a CO says do it one way then you just keep your mouth shut and do it. But last i checked we still call this a democratic republic, where the people are suppose to be in charge of the elected officials etc.. ..at the very least we have input. So I'm sorry that civilian's mysterious ways of regularly QUESTIONING leadership's actions bugs you.
I hope you can get over it... cause it aint gonna stop.

But have to wonder though. If you were to get commands regularly from the CO to fire on a spots that you know are ONLY filled with friendlies, if you'd be upset with other guys in your ranks that question the orders, motives and the competence of the CO?

I get up every morning, go outside and try to run. I can get 4 steps now before I fall down. I'm going to get up and try again tomorrow. I'll get that 5th step. End of the street. Around the block. But I don't quit and I ALWAYS get back up. And I STILL have to use a cane to go anywhere.

Keep it up Gunny.
:clap:

They tendered their resignations like they were supposed to. 4 were told, 'Thanks for your service, resignation accepted.' They were basically 'let go.' They didn't resign, in fact Kennedy was trying to keep the position.

Patrick Kennedy was the one that tried to get the FBI to reclassify a Hillary email, not that the one or two would have made a difference in the long haul, but he tried to insert himself.

He also had influence on Benghazi.

As for the other 3? I don't know.

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/several-senior-state-department-diplomats-on-way-out/article_16c5fc19-2517-50f4-b6f0-4c56ac9c0950.html

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/25/under-secretary-patrick-kennedy-out-at-state-department.html
thanks
SaveSave

gabosaurus
01-27-2017, 11:12 PM
Trump didn't have to do anything.
When a new administration takes office, all members of the previous administration are required to submit their resignations. The new president can either either accept them or ask them to stay on.

Drummond
01-28-2017, 04:33 AM

I agree. The BBC has definitely been insane ever since Watergate ...:rolleyes:

Russ
01-28-2017, 09:35 AM
Kennedy was the one actively trying to cut deals with the FBI to downgrade email classifications in return for arranging overseas diplomatic issues and had an inept hand in the Benghazi tragedy.

There's a few less gators out in the swamp... there's still a bunch more though.

EPA and IRS are high on my personal list of a massive housecleaning... and I hope Trump goes hard-n-deep on them.

I remember Patrick Kennedy being the guy in the State Department that was secretly trying to pressure officials to downgrade the classification of Hillary's emails from "classified" to "unclassified", just before some key part of the investigation. I remember at the time thinking that this Patrick Kennedy was committing a felony and should go to stinkin' jail. If Obama and Loretta Lynch hadn't been trying to protect Hillary, maybe he would have. Accepting this guy's resignation really is 'draining the swamp'.

I notice that CNN/NYT/WP are not mentioning this about Patrick Kennedy. They're acting as if he's some important guy that would be missed. They are so in the tank, and Kennedy is a stinkin' rat.

Balu
01-28-2017, 10:41 AM
http://i89.fastpic.ru/big/2017/0128/18/fa26ebaa4f066c46a8eef56fd91ea018.jpg

I saw your post in quotes by chance. Bravo, Gunny! :clap:
Good luck!

Gunny
01-28-2017, 11:24 AM
Difference is I'm always hoping for elected officials and bureaucrats to be ethical and constitutional and when i see things off those tracks or looking like they are pointed off those tracks I tend to say something about it. No matter what party they are from.

Gunny I think i understand that in the military that when a CO says do it one way then you just keep your mouth shut and do it. But last i checked we still call this a democratic republic, where the people are suppose to be in charge of the elected officials etc.. ..at the very least we have input. So I'm sorry that civilian's mysterious ways of regularly QUESTIONING leadership's actions bugs you.
I hope you can get over it... cause it aint gonna stop.

But have to wonder though. If you were to get commands regularly from the CO to fire on a spots that you know are ONLY filled with friendlies, if you'd be upset with other guys in your ranks that question the orders, motives and the competence of the CO?

Keep it up Gunny.
:clap:

thanks
SaveSave

What you consider off the tracks is usually contrived and/or inconsequential. Let's be real here ... Trump hasn't done anything yet. Creating a cabinet? There's something new. Toss out some Obama SO's that we all were praying for?

I allowed my Marines to question me in the appropriate setting. And YOU definitely remind me of a troop. Always bitching about something that doesn't matter. At the end of the day and that light turns green, you carry out your orders. And EVERY member of the team has to play to keep the team from getting killed. And I'll beat your ass myself if so much as one eyelash gets bent because some non-player wants to be special.

I was in charge of lives, not votes. If Trump starts needlessly endangering lives you'll have to be quick to beat me to the punch. Wait until he does something though.

SassyLady
01-28-2017, 03:48 PM
Trump didn't have to do anything.
When a new administration takes office, all members of the previous administration are required to submit their resignations. The new president can either either accept them or ask them to stay on.

True...and most of them are not accepted. This time they were accepted as a first step of breaking down the bureaucracy and cronyism of DC.

I hope we see more career bureaucrats let go ... gain the swamp wherever possible.

gabosaurus
01-28-2017, 04:10 PM
True...and most of them are not accepted. This time they were accepted as a first step of breaking down the bureaucracy and cronyism of DC.

I hope we see more career bureaucrats let go ... gain the swamp wherever possible.

What is the use of "draining the swamp" when you end up filling it back up with wealthy cronies and political patronage appointments. At least the career bureaucrats have a measure of experience.

Abbey Marie
01-28-2017, 04:14 PM
What is the use of "draining the swamp" when you end up filling it back up with wealthy cronies and political patronage appointments. At least the career bureaucrats have a measure of experience.

They generally are patronage jobs, paybacks for favors. But at least this time, they have a good chance of being highly competent patronage hires.

gabosaurus
01-28-2017, 04:22 PM
They generally are patronage jobs, paybacks for favors. But at least this time, they have a good chance of being highly competent patronage hires.

Trump's appointment for energy secretary has no clue what the energy department does.
Trump's appointment for education secretary has no experience with public schools and indeed wants to get rid of them.
Trump's appointment for ambassador to the U.N. has no international experience.
The majority of Trump's hire are wealthy business people who made large contributions to his campaign.

Abbey Marie
01-28-2017, 04:26 PM
Trump's appointment for energy secretary has no clue what the energy department does.
Trump's appointment for education secretary has no experience with public schools and indeed wants to get rid of them.
The majority of Trump's hire are wealthy business people who made large contributions to his campaign.

Lots of folks have transferable experience, if, as we have here, they are very smart and are proven leaders.

Although, you do have a point. Obama had almost zero experience, and look how badly that turned out.

:cool:

Russ
01-28-2017, 06:07 PM
Lots of folks have transferable experience, if, as we have here, they are very smart and are proven leaders.

Although, you do have a point. Obama had almost zero experience, and look how badly that turned out.

:cool:

True! I think all the Dem voters vastly overestimated Obama's sole experience of organizing "Acorn" community meetings, during which he'd explain to countless drunks, felons, and ineligible voters how they can register to vote anyway. The way he'd start every meeting with "if there are any Republicans here, get out!" was quite impressive, and must have inspired Barack on how to deal with Congress after the election.

jimnyc
01-28-2017, 06:21 PM
Awesome watching the endless teeth gnashing over the appointments. :) "Oh no, but he doesn't know this, or she doesn't know that" - I got news for you - your opinion literally means jack shit this go 'round. You have no say, other than to bitch and whine as loud as you can - and even then it makes ZERO difference. The ONLY thing the whiny liberals are accomplishing after this election is giving many of us just that many more things to chuckle at.

Vote Trump get Clinton!! That alone should account for at least 3 missing teeth over the gnashing!! :lol:

aboutime
01-28-2017, 07:08 PM

gabby. You intentionally LEFT ONE THING OUT.

You didn't mention how ALL OF TRUMP'S appointments are FAR MORE INTELLIGENT, and EXPERIENCED than OBAMA could ever hope to be....ACORNS AND ALL!

jimnyc
01-28-2017, 08:18 PM
More of the swamp draining news...

-----

Trump sets 5-year and lifetime lobbying ban for officials

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Donald Trump acted Saturday to fulfill a key portion of his pledge to "drain the swamp" in Washington, banning administration officials from ever lobbying the U.S. on behalf of a foreign government and imposing a separate five-year ban on other lobbying.

Trump has said individuals who want to aid him in his quest to "Make America Great Again" should focus on the jobs they will be doing to help the American people, not thinking ahead to the future income they could rake in by peddling their influence after serving in government.

"Most of the people standing behind me will not be able to go to work," Trump joked, referring to an array of White House officials who lined up behind him as he sat at his Oval Office desk. The officials included Vice President Mike Pence, chief of staff Reince Priebus, senior strategist Steve Bannon and counselor Kellyanne Conway. "So you have one last chance to get out."

Trump said he talked about the ban a lot during the campaign and "we're now putting it into effect."

In a pair of separate actions, Trump took steps to begin restructuring the White House National Security Council and the Homeland Security Council. He also gave Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the president's top military advisers, 30 days to come up with a plan defeat the Islamic State group. Scores of people have been killed in terrorist acts that IS has carried out overseas or has inspired on U.S. soil.

Under an executive order that Trump signed in the presence of the news media, every political appointee joining the executive branch on or after Jan. 20 — the day Trump took office — must agree to the lobbying bans. That includes avoiding, for five years after leaving, lobbying the agency they worked for.

Another provision sets a two-year period during which appointees must avoid working on issues involving former employers or clients.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-sets-5-lifetime-lobbying-ban-officials-214724850--finance.html

Balu
01-28-2017, 08:32 PM
Trump sets 5-year and lifetime lobbying ban for officials

This is good as a first step in a struggle against corruption in the USA. Surely it will effect the whole electoral system too.

revelarts
02-03-2017, 01:12 AM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/29/15/bd/2915bd78ce61a966afbe2dfde1ec37b6.jpg
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/02/22/exxon-mobil-tillerson-ceo-fracking/5726603/
https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304899704579391181466603804

Should we see this move as an indication that he's willing to look out for his PERSONAL interest over those he's employed by... exxon or the People of the U.S.?
Or maybe it wasn't an EXXON faking operation, maybe it was a rivals so he was ...even in his PERSONAl life.. working for EXXON... and his personal life.
ether way the hypocrisy hearer doesn't speak well of his character. not to mention Fracking.