PDA

View Full Version : Papa Murphy's Pizza

Kathianne
01-28-2017, 06:29 PM
As most here know, one of my few complaints about AZ has been restaurants/take outs. I've yet to find a decent pizza joint. The only one that gets decent marks on Yelp, just doesn't cut it for me, I tried it twice.

Today on my FB page, up pops this place in town, Papa Murphy's. Look at the site, makes fresh pizza to order, BUT you take it home to bake. So 'bake and take.' Not cheap, seriously wonder why they don't just cook it. LOL!

Anyways, I also noticed that it offers franchises, so asked my FB if anyone had tried it, anywhere. One of the cousins in IN said they had, said it was good, not Chicago but acceptable. Raved about their 'cookie doughs' though.

Placed a pizza and cookie order, I'll see how it is.

Now, gotta find decent Chinese...

jimnyc
01-28-2017, 06:33 PM
As most here know, one of my few complaints about AZ has been restaurants/take outs. I've yet to find a decent pizza joint. The only one that gets decent marks on Yelp, just doesn't cut it for me, I tried it twice.

Today on my FB page, up pops this place in town, Papa Murphy's. Look at the site, makes fresh pizza to order, BUT you take it home to bake. So 'bake and take.' Not cheap, seriously wonder why they don't just cook it. LOL!

Anyways, I also noticed that it offers franchises, so asked my FB if anyone had tried it, anywhere. One of the cousins in IN said they had, said it was good, not Chicago but acceptable. Raved about their 'cookie doughs' though.

Have it flown in if necessary! If Klinger was able to get his favorite flown in from Toledo back in the 60's or 70's, then surely you can do it! :)

Kathianne
01-28-2017, 06:41 PM
Have it flown in if necessary! If Klinger was able to get his favorite flown in from Toledo back in the 60's or 70's, then surely you can do it! :)

My youngest had responded to my post that all the 'big name' pizzerias in Chicago will fly you a pizza. Problem with that is they are going to be frozen and not there when I really want one, now. ;) Besides the shipping would likely double the price, putting on pizza in the $35-50 category, a bit pricey for pizza!

I'm hoping this is a bit better than frozen choices at the grocery. If so, it's worth the price. If not, I won't go back. ;)

hjmick
01-28-2017, 07:54 PM
Meh.

jimnyc
01-28-2017, 08:08 PM
Meh.

Maybe find a joint called "Awesome Pizza"!!

What's not to love about pizza? Pizza is always good, even if only talking about it. I had pizza 2 nights ago. I'm in withdrawals already and need some more! And then next weekend I get to use super bowl sunday as an excuse to get more pizza to fill my fat jelly roll of a belly. :)

hjmick
01-28-2017, 08:43 PM
Maybe find a joint called "Awesome Pizza"!!

What's not to love about pizza? Pizza is always good, even if only talking about it. I had pizza 2 nights ago. I'm in withdrawals already and need some more! And then next weekend I get to use super bowl sunday as an excuse to get more pizza to fill my fat jelly roll of a belly. :)

We found a place here that does a GREAT stuffed Chicago style. They're regular pizza is damn good as well. Over in North Charleston we EVO, they consistently make the lists of best pizzas in the country, I like their Triple Pig... Found a pretty good New York style... Costco has a good pie...

The best frozen these days, IMO, is Screamin' Sicilian brand...

Picked up a pack of pizza kits at Costco, pretty good...

If you're making your own, I recommend the Classico Fire Roasted Pizza Sauce

hjmick
01-28-2017, 08:48 PM
Kath, if you're in the Tempe area, I can vouch for the Four Peaks Brewery...

Good beer, good food...

Balu
01-28-2017, 08:51 PM
A Slice of History: Pizza Through the Ages

...Unlike the wealthy minority, these Neapolitans required inexpensive food that could be consumed quickly. Pizza—flatbreads with various toppings, eaten for any meal and sold by street vendors or informal restaurants—met this need. “Judgmental Italian authors often called their eating habits ‘disgusting,’” Helstosky noted. These early pizzas consumed by Naples’ poor featured the tasty garnishes beloved today, such as tomatoes, cheese, oil, anchovies and garlic. ...

http://www.history.com/news/hungry-history/a-slice-of-history-pizza-through-the-ages

Kathianne
01-29-2017, 03:02 AM
Kath, if you're in the Tempe area, I can vouch for the Four Peaks Brewery...

Good beer, good food...

If I'm going that way, will try. I think it's several hours away though. A bit excessive for a pizza run. LOL!

Kathianne
01-29-2017, 03:15 AM
Ok, ordered me the smaller size, which was huge for 1, certainly enough for 4. I tried the 'original' crust, red sauce, mozzarella, 'topping cheeses,' black olives, onions, sausage, special spices and spinach.

One of the cousins had said their cookie dough was awesome, so got chocolate chip.

With the coupons I got online and the ones they applied from store specials-out the door at $9 something! If no coupons was a bit over $18.

It came on its own cooking tray. Pre-heat 425 center rack. 15-18 minutes. After 10 I chose option to move to direct oven rack for 'crispy' crust. Removed and cut onto baking tray.

It was much better than buying frozen-which had been better than any pizza places I'd found around here. Yes, worth even full price, but pretty sure that coupon finding won't be a problem.

Finding excellent pizza wasn't something I'd been aware of being a problem had never crossed my mind before moving here. LOL! This was a great find for me. Pizza my way without having to do the work myself.

It's impossible to find small amounts of what I like as one uses on a pizza. Sure, all but the Italian sausage can be added to salads, but still end up throwing out a lot.

I was too full to try making the cookies, but maybe tomorrow?

Gunny
01-29-2017, 08:24 AM

LMAO. Welcome to the Southwest, Kath. :laugh:

When I was in DC I could get Twizzlers delivered. It ain't that way around here. And if you're looking for some good pizza? Go back to Chicago or order the Mexican food. Back in the day before Gunny was even a Private, I made pizza for a living. On the East Coast. You're just not going to find it out here.

I tried Papa Murphy's once. Forget THAT. Everything about their pizza sucks from the dough on up.

Kathianne
01-29-2017, 08:27 AM
LMAO. Welcome to the Southwest, Kath. :laugh:

When I was in DC I could get Twizzlers delivered. It ain't that way around here. And if you're looking for some good pizza? Go back to Chicago or order the Mexican food. Back in the day before Gunny was even a Private, I made pizza for a living. On the East Coast. You're just not going to find it out here.

I tried Papa Murphy's once. Forget THAT. Everything about their pizza sucks from the dough on up.

It's the best around here, fills the craving. ;)

NightTrain
01-29-2017, 08:41 AM
We've got a Papa Murphy's here in Wasilla. They're pretty good.

Try the Chicago with everything on it - that baby is a monster.

The problem with Papa Murphy's for me is the crust, it kicks my diabetes into high gear. Thin crust doesn't hurt me as bad, but it's just not as good IMO.

Gunny
01-29-2017, 09:15 AM
We've got a Papa Murphy's here in Wasilla. They're pretty good.

Try the Chicago with everything on it - that baby is a monster.

The problem with Papa Murphy's for me is the crust, it kicks my diabetes into high gear. Thin crust doesn't hurt me as bad, but it's just not as good IMO.

Eskimos and pizza. There's a good one,:poke::laugh2:

hjmick
01-29-2017, 09:21 AM
If you think finding good pizza in Arizona is tough, try finding good Mexican food in South Carolina...

Gunny
01-29-2017, 09:25 AM
If you think finding good pizza in Arizona is tough, try finding good Mexican food in South Carolina...

Suck it up. I'm going down to Jalisco #3 for breakfast as soon as they open up. ;)

Kathianne
01-29-2017, 09:34 AM

I've arrived at the point that I want a break from Mexican food. LOL!

Gunny
01-29-2017, 09:51 AM
I've arrived at the point that I want a break from Mexican food. LOL!

By the way Ms Tinkerbell ... you could put this in that forum for reviews Jim made. It's not an off limits forum and this IS a review. I share.

NightTrain
01-29-2017, 09:59 AM
Eskimos and pizza. There's a good one,:poke::laugh2:

Here's a Fun Fact that doesn't make much sense : Alaskans are the highest per capita consumers of Ice Cream and it spikes in the winter months. Weird, right?

They did a study and suspect the extra craving is for the Vitamin D - lack of sunlight, roger.

jimnyc
01-29-2017, 10:04 AM
My youngest had responded to my post that all the 'big name' pizzerias in Chicago will fly you a pizza. Problem with that is they are going to be frozen and not there when I really want one, now. ;) Besides the shipping would likely double the price, putting on pizza in the $35-50 category, a bit pricey for pizza!

I'm hoping this is a bit better than frozen choices at the grocery. If so, it's worth the price. If not, I won't go back. ;)

I've had 'lebanon bologna' shipped to me a few times from Pennsylvania. Yup, the shipping on dry ice killed the price, but it was still SO worth it!! And yeah, still isn't the exact same taste either... but when you have a hankering for something, sometimes you'll do anything to get it!!

Kathianne
01-29-2017, 04:00 PM
I've had 'lebanon bologna' shipped to me a few times from Pennsylvania. Yup, the shipping on dry ice killed the price, but it was still SO worth it!! And yeah, still isn't the exact same taste either... but when you have a hankering for something, sometimes you'll do anything to get it!!

Very true. My problem with pizza, it's normally something I like maybe twice a year. The problem here is that none 'satisfy' so I keep looking. First of course tried the parlors. Blech! So then went the frozen route, actually are better than the pizza places. Still, not great and there aren't any that come close to my favorite toppings.

They do have Giordano's and Home Run Inn frozen here, BUT not the toppings/fillings I like. They also are like $12 for frozen!

This place was pretty good and I got my favorites. Just a bit too big, but I don't mind leftover pizza.

Elessar
01-29-2017, 04:24 PM
It is hard to find a good deep dish pizza here. All of them are thin crust which
I do not prefer - and I am not driving 27 miles to Brookings just to get to Pizza Hut.

That is one thing I do miss about living in Nor Cal.

Kathianne
01-29-2017, 04:50 PM
It is hard to find a good deep dish pizza here. All of them are thin crust which
I do not prefer - and I am not driving 27 miles to Brookings just to get to Pizza Hut.

That is one thing I do miss about living in Nor Cal.

I've never found a chain pizza like Pizza Hut where I can eat the pizza. Same with Domino's, Little Caesar's, etc. Now I grant you, it's probably been 30 years or more since I tried Pizza Hut.

Elessar
01-29-2017, 08:22 PM
I've never found a chain pizza like Pizza Hut where I can eat the pizza. Same with Domino's, Little Caesar's, etc. Now I grant you, it's probably been 30 years or more since I tried Pizza Hut.

There was one down where I moved from called Round Table...It was excellent!
They rolled cheese into the top crust.

The there was one in Belmont Shore (Long Beach CA) that was the best I've ever seen: Chicago Pizza.
Same as Round Table , but with better sauce. Sadly, they gave up the business my last year there..

Abbey Marie
01-30-2017, 07:05 AM
Suck it up. I'm going down to Jalisco #3 for breakfast as soon as they open up. ;)

Huevos rancheros? Yum.

Kathianne
01-30-2017, 07:10 AM
Huevos rancheros? Yum.

That is one Mexican dish I don't get tired of! Fish tacos another, though unsure if those are really 'Mexican.'

Abbey Marie
01-30-2017, 07:13 AM
That is one Mexican dish I don't get tired of! Fish tacos another, though unsure if those are really 'Mexican.'

You and Russ- he loves those.

This is might sound weird, but the best eggs and salsa I've had are from IHOP. They also put fresh sliced avocado on top. (I'm getting hungry now). Seriously, the Mexican restaurants I've been to don't even do it as well. I will concede that in Arizona and Texas, things might be different. :cool:

Kathianne
01-30-2017, 07:14 AM
You and Russ- he loves those.

This is might sound weird, but the best eggs and salsa I've had are from IHOP. They also put fresh sliced avocado on top. (I'm getting hungry now). Seriously, the Mexican restaurants I've been to don't even do it as well. I will concede that in Arizona and Texas, things might be different. :cool:

I admit that I really could eat breakfast for any meal.

Abbey Marie
01-30-2017, 07:21 AM
I admit that I really could eat breakfast for any meal.

Right?

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9665&stc=1

Kathianne
01-30-2017, 07:26 AM
Right?

Oh my! I don't usually eat breakfast when I work, would like to around 9:30 or 10. LOL! Now I am hungry!

NightTrain
01-30-2017, 07:31 AM

The there was one in Belmont Shore (Long Beach CA) that was the best I've ever seen: Chicago Pizza.
Same as Round Table , but with better sauce. Sadly, they gave up the business my last year there..

We had Round Table up here for quite a few years, but sadly, they pulled out. Pretty good pizza!

Abbey Marie
01-30-2017, 09:42 AM

:puke: They aren't even pizza, imo.

Abbey Marie
01-30-2017, 09:44 AM

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9668&stc=1

NightTrain
01-30-2017, 09:45 AM

Last time I had Little Caesar's was about '92 or so and all of us got food poisoning... it was no bueno.

Gunny
01-30-2017, 09:50 AM
Here's a Fun Fact that doesn't make much sense : Alaskans are the highest per capita consumers of Ice Cream and it spikes in the winter months. Weird, right?

They did a study and suspect the extra craving is for the Vitamin D - lack of sunlight, roger.

I wan to know WHO pays for these studies? How many Alaskans eat ice cream -- how many Mexicans eat Mexican food ... our tax dollars at work!

Gunny
01-30-2017, 09:54 AM

Pizza Hut is the only one I can even stomach anymore. The rest taste like eating greasy cardboard to me.

Gunny
01-30-2017, 10:07 AM
Huevos rancheros? Yum.

Have to be in the mood for that. And all Mexican food is not Mexican food. I like it here in TX. I couldn't hardly eat it in NM. Only ate it once in CA and that was the end of THAT.

NightTrain
01-30-2017, 10:11 AM
I wan to know WHO pays for these studies? How many Alaskans eat ice cream -- how many Mexicans eat Mexican food ... our tax dollars at work!

Undoubtedly federal money was involved, but I don't remember for sure. At least that one had an interesting outcome that showed our bodies craving certain things to make up for the sunlight deficit.

Gunny
01-30-2017, 10:18 AM
Undoubtedly federal money was involved, but I don't remember for sure. At least that one had an interesting outcome that showed our bodies craving certain things to make up for the sunlight deficit.

Well yeah. sub-zero weather and no sunlight. Think I'll eat something frozen. Makes sense:laugh:

NightTrain
01-30-2017, 10:37 AM
Well yeah. sub-zero weather and no sunlight. Think I'll eat something frozen. Makes sense:laugh:

That's what made it so preposterous at first glance. 30 below zero and people are eating frozen food?

Personally, I like hot & spicy things after being out in the cold for a few hours, but I do eat a substantial amount of ice cream in the winter, and almost none in the summer.

Gunny
01-30-2017, 10:55 AM
That's what made it so preposterous at first glance. 30 below zero and people are eating frozen food?

Personally, I like hot & spicy things after being out in the cold for a few hours, but I do eat a substantial amount of ice cream in the winter, and almost none in the summer.

I eat ice cream about once a year. And it gets up to 110 here during the summer. I laready didn't eat much sweets before the hospital trip. Now I have to force myself to just eat. I mostly quit eating them when I was around 200 lbs to keep the fat off me. I WAS a workout freak and I know a lot about nutrition.

Back in the day I WOULD stand out in the Texas sun and heat and fire up the grill though. Long as I had some Coronas ....:laugh:

SassyLady
01-31-2017, 05:04 PM

Been eating PM for years .. the only kind I'll eat. Had one in in my town in California and there's one about 7 miles from home. Convenient to call in and pick up on way home. Turn on oven to warm while changing into jammies and wala! hot pizza.

SassyLady
01-31-2017, 05:11 PM

Or, because it doesn't melt before you finish it. Here in Tucson you can't get it home from store before it melts unless you put in ice chest ... so, no impromptu stopping on way home to get gallon of ice cream.

Kathianne
01-31-2017, 05:50 PM
Been eating PM for years .. the only kind I'll eat. Had one in in my town in California and there's one about 7 miles from home. Convenient to call in and pick up on way home. Turn on oven to warm while changing into jammies and wala! hot pizza.

Gotta love it. Just got a text on my phone from them: Today only, large family pizza, 5 toppings, $10. Now I just finished the last of the last one this morning for breakfast. LOL! But such a deal! Won't fit in freezer-damn double doors! So, I'm going to pass or that will be like 6 days of eating pizza. :laugh2:

SassyLady
01-31-2017, 07:18 PM
Gotta love it. Just got a text on my phone from them: Today only, large family pizza, 5 toppings, $10. Now I just finished the last of the last one this morning for breakfast. LOL! But such a deal! Won't fit in freezer-damn double doors! So, I'm going to pass or that will be like 6 days of eating pizza. :laugh2:
Cut into quarters then freeze. :laugh:

Kathianne
01-31-2017, 07:20 PM
Cut into quarters then freeze. :laugh:

Hmmmm...

:laugh2:

I think I'll give it awhile. It was good enough that I'm pizzaed out! ;) Besides, I'm going to Chicago in less than 2 weeks and this time I'm not letting them traipse me to Mexican restaurants! LOL!