PDA

View Full Version : Tsk tsk, those unfeeling Italians

Abbey Marie
01-31-2017, 03:49 PM
The Italians apparently aren't complaining about this because they are worried about terrorism. They just don't want the refugees there. And according to the article, Switzerland just closed its borders altogether. But our Dems cannot even accept tougher vetting of people from known terrorist- associated countries.

This article is from 7/16, but it seems apropos to our current news.

We don't want refugees George Clooney's super-rich Lake Como neighbours say Italian idyll RUINED
Switzerland-closes-border

By Nick Fagge In Como, Italy, For Mailonline
PUBLISHED: 08:13 EST, 14 July 2016

George Clooney's wealthy neighbours in the Alpine beauty spot of Lake Como say their Italian idyll is being ruined by the influx of hundreds of migrants to a makeshift camp on their doorstep.
The picturesque area is best known as a hide-away for Clooney and a multitude of other Hollywood A-listers includ Brad Pitt, wife Angelina Jolie, and pop superstar Madonna.
But a clamp-down by Switzerland on illegal immigrants entering the country from Italy threatens to turn this chic resort into a frontier town overrun by the homeless and desperate.

‘You see them arriving at that the San Giovanni station. They are not poor hungry refugees but they are big and strong.
‘People here in Como don’t like them. There are simply too many of them.’
Tour guide Denise, 67, added: ‘Immigration here in Italy is a problem, a big problem because of the huge numbers who are arriving all the time.’
Chauffeur Santi, 26, said: ‘It is good for Switzerland that they have closed the border to migrants but it is bad for Italy.

Housewife Federica, 55, said: ‘A small number of immigrants is not a problem but now they are so many.

Meanwhile African migrants at one hostel have told MailOnline how they were forced to leave Italy because their asylum applications are turned down. If their demand is rejected they are no longer eligible to the Euro 75 per month subsistence allowance and are evicted from the hostel.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/07/14/12/363AB1C000000578-3689928-image-a-32_1468495992935.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/07/14/12/3643F37E00000578-3689928-Moving_on_African_migrants_stay_a_hostel_in_Como_b ut_can_no_long-a-31_1468495992846.jpg

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3689928/We-don-t-want-refugees-George-Clooney-s-super-rich-Lake-Como-neighbours-say-Italian-idyll-RUINED-migrants-doorstep-Switzerland-closes-border.html#ixzz4XNBT0Y9U
[/QUOTE]

NightTrain
01-31-2017, 04:13 PM
Remarkably unenlightened of them.

Black Diamond
01-31-2017, 04:15 PM
I have often wondered if the reason Hollywood celebrities don't move to Canada is because it's not that easy to move there. They may protect their southern border...

Abbey Marie
01-31-2017, 04:15 PM
Remarkably unenlightened of them.

Me? I'm sitting here reciting lines inscribed on the Statue of Liberty, and weeping.

Black Diamond
01-31-2017, 04:17 PM
Me? I'm sitting here reciting lines inscribed on the Statue of Liberty, and weeping.
Everyone assumes whoever wrote that poem would feel the same way in modern times.

NightTrain
01-31-2017, 04:21 PM

I'm going to vote for you for that sensitive weeping. A good crier is my #1 on the list when looking for a competent leader.

Abbey Marie
01-31-2017, 04:29 PM
I'm going to vote for you for that sensitive weeping. A good crier is my #1 on the list when looking for a competent leader.

Lol! I especially like to have a highly sensitive bawling head of the Joint Chiefs.

Kathianne
01-31-2017, 05:45 PM
What strikes a cord is that the 'wealthy' whether they be those A-listers in Como or even some like the college aged and millennials they've have been protected by where they live, the jobs they are employed in, and as a result those whom they interact with and always have.

They may have 'big hearts' and do lots for charities and other social goals, but they aren't in the competition for living spaces, jobs, or use of parks, etc.

Many others do, they just aren't their neighbors, weren't fellow students, etc.

I see it in the article, those celebrities, Clooney and Madonna of course jump out, are always shooting their mouths off for the 'voiceless.' Ok then, what if those voiceless are out front of your gated mansion? Every day. What if they threaten those coming in or out, if not given something? How much would be 'enough' to stop them from being there tomorrow?

I see it with my own kids, who went to schools with a fair number of Muslim students that were and are friends. None of them appear radicalized, I've known many since my kids were in middle school and will see one of them at a 'shower' when I'm in Chicago. I don't know their parents well, just enough to say hello when we'd be at track meets or concerts or awards dinners. Nice people. Good jobs.

Household Income and Average Income in Glen Ellyn top

<tbody>
Average Household Income
$126,979

Percent Increase/Decrease in Income Since 2010
10%

Average Household Net Worth
$873,130

Median Home Sale Price
$294,500

Sales Tax Rate
7.186%

</tbody>

it's not 'average,' not for the US, not for the world.

It's not 'white privilege, it's 'socio-economic' privilege. The kids don't get it, though 'kids' is pushing it.