PDA

View Full Version : Is Trump Obama voters' comeuppance?

Black Diamond
01-31-2017, 04:01 PM
Obama ran against two moderates. The country elected the most radical president in at least a generation; maybe ever. And then reelected him. Now the pendulum has swung in the other direction and Obama supporters are in their safe spaces. If either McCain or Romney wins, I doubt trump runs as a democrat either time; I doubt he ever runs period.

Thoughts?

Kathianne
01-31-2017, 05:28 PM
Obama ran against two moderates. The country elected the most radical president in at least a generation; maybe ever. And then reelected him. Now the pendulum has swung in the other direction and Obama supporters are in their safe spaces. If either McCain or Romney wins, I doubt trump runs as a democrat either time; I doubt he ever runs period.

Thoughts?

Not sure I get the idea, in the bolded-do you mean 'runs' for president? Or if they were in the primaries and won the Republican?

Black Diamond
01-31-2017, 05:43 PM
Not sure I get the idea, in the bolded-do you mean 'runs' for president? Or if they were in the primaries and won the Republican?
If McCain had won the general election in 2008 over Obama, I doubt trump would ever have run (although he had talked of running as a democrat). I think with regard to Romney in 2012, it's even more true. He would have run for reelection in 2016. Probably against Hillary.

Mccain and Romney are seen by most as moderates. America rejected said moderates and elected a radical twice. Now we have what many see as another radical.

Kathianne
01-31-2017, 05:54 PM
If McCain had won the general election in 2008 over Obama, I doubt trump would ever have run (although he had talked of running as a democrat). I think with regard to Romney in 2012, it's even more true. He would have run for reelection in 2016. Probably against Hillary.

Mccain and Romney are seen by most as moderates. America rejected said moderates and elected a radical twice. Now we have what many see as another radical.

I was reading something this morning about the US now is a 'flawed democracy.' I agree and believe that both Obama and Trump won because of it. People no longer trust the government, which only grew moreso under Obama, thus the election of Trump. IF Obama wasn't black-which he still is-I don't think he would have won in 2012.

fj1200
02-01-2017, 10:43 AM

Thoughts?

No Republican was going to win in '08 and it's tough to beat an incumbent with a not crashing economy. I disagree with your premise that trump is the opposite of BO, if that was your premise.

Kathianne
02-01-2017, 10:54 AM
No Republican was going to win in '08 and it's tough to beat an incumbent with a not crashing economy. I disagree with your premise that trump is the opposite of BO, if that was your premise.

I too don't think he's the opposite, not by a long shot. However, to me he certainly seems to be the flipside. There are differences, but not so sure that many of the underlying convictions aren't similar.

I do think Trump cares deeply for the country, in his fashion. One that appeals to many. I don't think Obama did, I believe he always saw the flaws, without any of the truly exceptional qualities. Some of it was 'globalism' which really is an excuse for saying the US was a failure, as were those who were allied with her. Thus what many saw as trashing allies and backing enemies, wasn't what he saw at all. There are many who agree with the Obama version too.

Abbey Marie
02-01-2017, 11:12 AM
I too don't think he's the opposite, not by a long shot. However, to me he certainly seems to be the flipside. There are differences, but not so sure that many of the underlying convictions aren't similar.

I do think Trump cares deeply for the country, in his fashion. One that appeals to many. I don't think Obama did, I believe he always saw the flaws, without any of the truly exceptional qualities. Some of it was 'globalism' which really is an excuse for saying the US was a failure, as were those who were allied with her. Thus what many saw as trashing allies and backing enemies, wasn't what he saw at all. There are many who agree with the Obama version too.

I think for those blacks who look at everything through what I call a "racial lens", the country is deeply flawed, and believe that what you termed exceptional qualities have not benefited them. Therefore, feel they are not important/positives.

Not to mention the influence Rev Wright (KKK America) et al had upon folks like Obama. There is no doubt the "never before proud of my country" Michelle suffered from this vision as well.

Trump appears to me to be a very patriotic American. Agree with him or not, he appears to sincerely love this country and wants it to, well, be great again. :cool:

Kathianne
02-01-2017, 12:18 PM
I think for those blacks who look at everything through what I call a "racial lens", the country is deeply flawed, and believe that what you termed exceptional qualities have not benefited them. Therefore, feel they are not important/positives.

Not to mention the influence Rev Wright (KKK America) et al had upon folks like Obama. There is no doubt the "never before proud of my country" Michelle suffered from this vision as well.

Trump appears to me to be a very patriotic American. Agree with him or not, he appears to sincerely love this country and wants it to, well, be great again. :cool:

Yep, pretty much what I said. I think on the Obama side too are many kids that have been taught and bought into the whole idea of 'oppression' of minorities-which by their definition is any group of whatever make-up other than straight, white, males.

Elessar
02-01-2017, 03:27 PM

Thoughts?

Being a moderate is not such a bad thing. In that, a person can look at both sides of an issue.
The liberal Dems shot that all to hell when they controlled the Congress.

Kathianne
02-01-2017, 03:31 PM
Being a moderate is not such a bad thing. In that, a person can look at both sides of an issue.
The liberal Dems shot that all to hell when they controlled the Congress.

I've never been good at letting others define me, not liberal Democrats nor folks calling themselves conservatives.