PDA

View Full Version : The left and its obsession with Tom Brady

BoogyMan
02-01-2017, 01:01 PM
Apparently if you are a public figure you MUST "answer" for supporting a candidate that your leftist political betters deem to be unacceptable.

It’s been more than 16 months since Tom Brady first placed a “Make America Great Again” hat in his locker and kept it there for weeks while telling reporters that it “would be great” if Donald Trump became president. Well, Donald Trump is president, and I’m going to put this as objectively as I can: It has not been great. (http://deadspin.com/im-fed-up-with-tom-brady-1791819550)
(http://deadspin.com/im-fed-up-with-tom-brady-1791819550)
Brady desperately wants the media to stop asking him about Trump. He’s tired of the surge of questions that just wasn’t there before Trump started to fulfill his campaign promises and caused a couple of constitutional crises. (Remember when we had to offer a damn bounty just to get anyone to ask Brady about his support of Trump after Trump first promised a Muslim ban? Those were more innocent times.) (http://deadspin.com/im-fed-up-with-tom-brady-1791819550)

(http://deadspin.com/im-fed-up-with-tom-brady-1791819550)
It’s Super Bowl week, so Brady can’t escape the media. Yesterday he and fellow Trump enthusiast Bill Belichick ducked and dodged every question about politics.... (http://deadspin.com/im-fed-up-with-tom-brady-1791819550)

The last time I checked Brady and Belichick were citizens of the US who have the right to their own views. The public attempts to shame people by the media are getting ridiculous and at some point is going to end in *much* greater hostility toward a media that has abandoned its duty.

OK, rant over. What are your thoughts?

Kathianne
02-01-2017, 01:03 PM
I care about the opinions of athletes about the same as I do film/tv/music 'stars.' I don't.

BoogyMan
02-01-2017, 01:09 PM
I care about the opinions of athletes about the same as I do film/tv/music 'stars.' I don't.

The media is playing a gotcha game and trying to damage the careers of others because they don't think exactly like they do. Mr. Orwell wrote quite eloquently about this kind of activity. We don't see our "media" using the terms "goodthink" and "thoughtcrime" but their actions surely speak to a 1984 type mentality.

Kathianne
02-01-2017, 01:17 PM
The media is playing a gotcha game and trying to damage the careers of others because they don't think exactly like they do. Mr. Orwell wrote quite eloquently about this kind of activity. We don't see our "media" using the terms "goodthink" and "thoughtcrime" but their actions surely speak to a 1984 type mentality.

and that is but one reason that entertainers should concentrate on entertaining and leave politics to 'the people.' They certainly have a right to say or wear what they wish, but they are held to a different standard-just as in defamation standards. Yes, wearing memorabilia is a right, so is the memory of that picture. His best bet is to continue to not comment.

Gunny
02-01-2017, 01:18 PM

I get your point but I have to side with Tinkerbell on this one ... who cares? I don't like Tom Brady because he's the biggest crybaby in the NFL. You look at him the wrong way and he's whining to the ref's.

Who he votes for means nothing to me. Probably won't happen, but I'm voting for the Falcons to stomp a mudhole in his candy ass.

BoogyMan
02-01-2017, 01:35 PM
I get your point but I have to side with Tinkerbell on this one ... who cares? I don't like Tom Brady because he's the biggest crybaby in the NFL. You look at him the wrong way and he's whining to the ref's.

Who he votes for means nothing to me. Probably won't happen, but I'm voting for the Falcons to stomp a mudhole in his candy ass.

I don't care one bit what Bady thinks either, the rub is in the media's bloodlust to try and destroy anyone they perceive as supporting any idea they don't find to be socially acceptable. The Orwellian comparisons are solid and disturbing. The "media" is no longer an entity from which objectivity can be assumed. It is now an entity where objectivity is squashed and brought into subjugation to the social outrages of the day and it is dangerous.

Kathianne
02-01-2017, 01:44 PM
I don't care one bit what Bady thinks either, the rub is in the media's bloodlust to try and destroy anyone they perceive as supporting any idea they don't find to be socially acceptable. The Orwellian comparisons are solid and disturbing. The "media" is no longer an entity from which objectivity can be assumed. It is now an entity where objectivity is squashed and brought into subjugation to the social outrages of the day and it is dangerous.

I agree, look what happened with Harley-Davidson.

The thing is, the right is the same, just the players are different. I keep reading about 'the left's boycotts,' and how foolish they are, while getting petitions to boycott this, that, and the other thing.

Poor me, I don't like any of them right now, though may like some choices. They've all lost me for pushing a product or boycotting any.

I like Gorsuch, but won't buy or not buy anything based on that. ;)

Gunny
02-01-2017, 01:47 PM

Buckle up, bubba. They're still reeling and in a holding pattern until they recover. They're coming. And they're going to double down down because despite all their efforts, they lost.

BoogyMan
02-01-2017, 01:49 PM
I agree, look what happened with Harley-Davidson.

The thing is, the right is the same, just the players are different. I keep reading about 'the left's boycotts,' and how foolish they are, while getting petitions to boycott this, that, and the other thing.

Poor me, I don't like any of them right now, though may like some choices. They've all lost me for pushing a product or boycotting any.

I like Gorsuch, but won't buy or not buy anything based on that. ;)

Exactly! Your comment gets to the point of the rot that infests our politics which would be a great seque into the discussion of term limits.

Kathianne
02-01-2017, 01:54 PM
Exactly! Your comment gets to the point of the rot that infests our politics which would be a great seque into the discussion of term limits.

I have always eschewed term limits. I always believed that it is good to have people that have become experts on specific topics due to sitting on the same committees for years. I had faith in the people to remove those that were the most corrupt.

Unfortunately in the past few years, my faith in 'the people' has taken a major hit. Because of that, as well as the abuse of oppressive federal agencies, notably the IRS and DOJ, I've changed my mind.

Gunny
02-01-2017, 02:03 PM
I have always eschewed term limits. I always believed that it is good to have people that have become experts on specific topics due to sitting on the same committees for years. I had faith in the people to remove those that were the most corrupt.

Unfortunately in the past few years, my faith in 'the people' has taken a major hit. Because of that, as well as the abuse of oppressive federal agencies, notably the IRS and DOJ, I've changed my mind.

Got to spread it around. Nice post.

Elessar
02-01-2017, 03:13 PM

Well...when hit up on a "Media Day", the NFL requires them to be there and answer.
Otherwise they get fined about $15K.

That the media injects politics into sports is not the fault of the player or coach. It is pretty dirty
tactics that the MSM pulls this crap. I do not care who the player is or on what team.

I do not trust the MSM as far as I can throw my Yukon.

jimnyc
02-01-2017, 03:33 PM
I hate Brady, let me get that out of the way. :)

But they harass this guy about Trump at every press conference for like a year now. One paper this past week went as far as to state he HAD to answer questions about his connection with Trump.

Abbey Marie
02-01-2017, 04:02 PM
I hate Brady, let me get that out of the way. :)

But they harass this guy about Trump at every press conference for like a year now. One paper this past week went as far as to state he HAD to answer questions about his connection with Trump.

These attempts to intimidate folks into not supporting Trump are making me sick. And like you, I don't even like Brady. Brady should have grounds to sue for harassment.

If I were an NFL player making as much as Brady does, I'd pay the 15K fine and go home. Every week, all season, if necessary.

Black Diamond
02-01-2017, 04:06 PM
I saw a headline "Brady has a lot of explaining to do" re Trump.

He should come right out and say, Yeah i like Trump and I voted for him. Screw you (essentially) But he won't . probably worried about his "brand" His PR advisor probably wouldn't allow him to do such a thing.

Gunny
02-01-2017, 04:25 PM
The whole thing is a media setup. I'm with Jimbob ,,, I can't stand the guy. But being caught between the MSM and the NFL HAS to suck. If he sys the wrong thing, the NFL's going to fine him anyway.

I'd do as Abs suggests ... suck up the fine and go home. The NFL can protect its brand and he doesn't have to talk. While the 1st Mendment gives you the right to FOS ... the 4th gives you the Right to remain silent.

Kathianne
02-01-2017, 04:28 PM
The whole thing is a media setup. I'm with Jimbob ,,, I can't stand the guy. But being caught between the MSM and the NFL HAS to suck. If he sys the wrong thing, the NFL's going to fine him anyway.

I'd do as Abs suggests ... suck up the fine and go home. The NFL can protect its brand and he doesn't have to talk. While the 1st Mendment gives you the right to FOS ... the 4th gives you the Right to remain silent.

4th?